No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Update from Texas #7190913
02/21/21 01:15 AM
02/21/21 01:15 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline OP
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline OP
"HOSS"

Now that the claims are coming in both residential and commercial here is where we find ourselves in Texas.

There will be millions of claims where a pipe did freeze and burst subjecting the interior to water damage. Plumbers are said to be a week out of makin repairs and that will be IF they can get the materials. The companies that dry out these losses are maxed out and have a 2 week waitin list as of now All (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) will break loose tomorrow morning when there are ppl to answer the phones for even more good news. The big companies like Servpro, Service Master, Blackmon Mooring etc will be getting semi loads of dryin equipment and bus loads of laborers fairly soon. If you are unemployed and have a pulse there is work.

So the next thing will be, people need temp housing while there repairs are being made and those crews will need housing in the area. I am sharing an Airbnb that we secured for a month b/c the craziness is only beginnin. FEMA might have to bring us some of them high brow fancy trailers before this is said and done. This catastrophe will be as big if not bigger than the 6 hurricanes that made landfall in 2020 + the Derachio in IA and wildfires in CA.

BUT I have good news for you tax payers. FEMA will prolly use your money to pay for out pee poor plannin and also the overages on out electric bills LOL

I say we blame it on the "election" of Joe and his hoe cool

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7190938
02/21/21 01:56 AM
02/21/21 01:56 AM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
Are you guys going to start insulating your water pipes now?

Cold as ice!
Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7190971
02/21/21 06:32 AM
02/21/21 06:32 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
What ever happened to shutting the water off at the meter or flipping the breaker on the well? Everything I am reading makes no sense at all. If you have busted pipes and can't figure out to shut the water off, how do you remember to breathe? If you turn on the water and its cold outside, why would you not know its froze if nothing comes out? If its froze why would you not shut it off at the meter or well before it thaws, unless you have a way to thaw it? If you manage to get it thawed out why would you not shut it off when you hear or see that leak?

Maybe we need to let the people not smart enough to not flood their homes deal it with it themselves. Maybe they will get smarter.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7190975
02/21/21 06:52 AM
02/21/21 06:52 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Let's give the folks a break. A lot of the folks in the cities live in apartment houses and don't even have water shutoff valves. Shoulda woulda coulda isn't going to help anyone now.
Heck, I worked in a ranch house in Nebraska that didn't even have a shutoff valve in the house. Had to kill power at the well down by the cow tank.
We wouldn't want people in Texas calling Kansans stupid for not being prepared when a tornado hits their town. It's never got cold in Texas before.
Now, building N'aleans 7' below sea level......that was stupid.

Last edited by Gary Benson; 02/21/21 06:57 AM.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7190977
02/21/21 06:56 AM
02/21/21 06:56 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
If the water in an apartment building is left on I have to wonder about the "maintenance" man. Think he can tie his own shoes?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7190978
02/21/21 06:58 AM
02/21/21 06:58 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Maybe he can't speak English and doesn't know what ice is? smile

Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7190979
02/21/21 06:59 AM
02/21/21 06:59 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
And remember..........a lot of these people moved from California to Texas!

Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7190981
02/21/21 07:03 AM
02/21/21 07:03 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
BTW when there is a tornado in KS people do the same thing people in NE do. Neighbors open their doors to each other. Help salvage what ever is salvageable. They shut off water valves where water is coming out of busted pipes.

Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7190982
02/21/21 07:04 AM
02/21/21 07:04 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Good post Leftlane!
Gary, You beat me to the Monday morning woulda coulda shoulda expert's language. I was also adding to that sentence that empathy comes easier for some than others. Some it comes not at all.

But for those of us here trying to help folks who, as LL mentioned, have had a very rough go of it, in and among a Covid environment stifling normal procedures everywhere, it's an opportunity to give a hand.

A bunch of us are headed in a couple hours to a local ministry that is assisting local Dallas residents who are in need. In need of what? We don't know until we get there.
Our theme will not be y'all need to get smarter next time, but rather simply to say, "how can we help you."
The human heart is the toughest place to sow a seed of empathy. We pray more sprouts will rise.
There's always a need to help without judging.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7190987
02/21/21 07:13 AM
02/21/21 07:13 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Ever watch a kid patch a bicycle tire? Even after you show him how? Have to quit watching cause if you don't your "help" will just prevent him from learning how. passing out bottled water, passing out food, blankets, etc I get. But making the rest of the country fork over money because someone let a busted water line damage their home and belongings I don't get at all.

kinda like blaming the power outage on froze windmills that only work when the wind is blowing.

Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7190989
02/21/21 07:23 AM
02/21/21 07:23 AM
Texas
R
RonnieC Offline
trapper
RonnieC  Offline
trapper
R

Texas
Houses are built a little different here. They are built to keep heat out not in. I know my pipes were insulated but still burst. Yes they were drained but all it takes is a low spot to trap water. Unfortunately this was an unusual weather event. I believe I was lucky but a lot of folks weren't. Sometimes the haters don't do very well in the thinking department

Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7190991
02/21/21 07:25 AM
02/21/21 07:25 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

I won't tell the folks we help today that some judge that - you deserve what you got - an ages old, shame culture legalism (self-righteous) practiced as law by the elite level of the earliest Romans, because we all find, or will find, ourselves in need at some point.

A helping hand is a submission experience on the part of the helper and the helped. Pretty basic stuff to most, but for some, pride inhibits the formation of submission.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Update from Texas [Re: RonnieC] #7190994
02/21/21 07:33 AM
02/21/21 07:33 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by RonnieC
Houses are built a little different here. They are built to keep heat out not in. I know my pipes were insulated but still burst. Yes they were drained but all it takes is a low spot to trap water. Unfortunately this was an unusual weather event. I believe I was lucky but a lot of folks weren't. Sometimes the haters don't do very well in the thinking department

Very true RonnieC. City residents often don't have access to the water lines into their dwellings so are at the mercy of the one who does. I know here at seminary, the heat stayed on as we never lost power because we must be on the same grid as Baylor Hospital, and still 9 water line bursts discovered so far by maintenance. It simply got to cold, for too long, the way structures are built. A "freak" of nature as folks like to say.

It's just a good time, as it always is after crappy things happen to folks, to lend a hand. I know it got rid of a lot of piled up wood piles as people gladly gave it out to neighbors to try to keep a few fires burning all last week. A lot of good people stepping up, that's for sure! Bless every last one of 'em!

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7191004
02/21/21 08:04 AM
02/21/21 08:04 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
That is amazing, LL - I didn't realize the damage was that extensive! And all caused by what we up here would call mild winter weather. If nothing else it's a good reminder of how big the country is, and an interesting study in how things are done differently in other regions of the country. Anyway, I hope you all get back up and running soon.

Re: Update from Texas [Re: ] #7191019
02/21/21 08:23 AM
02/21/21 08:23 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Mark June
Originally Posted by RonnieC

Very true RonnieC. City residents often don't have access to the water lines into their dwellings so are at the mercy of the one who does. I know here at seminary, the heat stayed on as we never lost power because we must be on the same grid as Baylor Hospital, and still 9 water line bursts discovered so far by maintenance. It simply got to cold, for too long, the way structures are built. A "freak" of nature as folks like to say.

It's just a good time, as it always is after crappy things happen to folks, to lend a hand. I know it got rid of a lot of piled up wood piles as people gladly gave it out to neighbors to try to keep a few fires burning all last week. A lot of good people stepping up, that's for sure! Bless every last one of 'em!

Blessings,
Mark

It's always good to learn from the experience so you don't get a repeat performance. Most times people don't a good example is that they rebuilt New Orleans and moved back in.

Keeping the pipes from busting in your physicality could have been as simple as letting the water run a little. But if people have never dealt with freezing temps and pipes they would never know or think about that.

I learned my lessons the hard way. I now have lots of shut off valves in the house. It I go out of town the water gets shut off and drained. I may have learned faster because I did and paid for the repairs myself. I found things that are worked for are appreciated much more than hand outs.

Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7191021
02/21/21 08:28 AM
02/21/21 08:28 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Last week a 16' 2x12 plank was $41. Yesterday they were $44. Unreal! This is at Home Depot.

Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7191022
02/21/21 08:30 AM
02/21/21 08:30 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
What happened to setting all your faucets to drip to prevent freeze up? That doesn't help if the main freezes but then I would ask why didn't the water dept set some hydrants running? Weather forcasters provided the warnings but it appears no action was taken. Could be that no one knew there were mitigating actions they could have taken or didn't recognize the vulnerabilities due to lack of experience with this kind of disaster.

Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7191033
02/21/21 08:49 AM
02/21/21 08:49 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Not looking to place blame, just curious, how rare is this? Never happened before? Once in 100 years? Have not heard much about that.

Re: Update from Texas [Re: Leftlane] #7191035
02/21/21 08:51 AM
02/21/21 08:51 AM
Leftlane Offline OP
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline OP
"HOSS"

It looks like myself being from Kansas and leavin the faucets drip in Texas last wk qualified me for lone ranger status b/c nobody else did.

Danny, there is no exclusion in any of these policies for bein stoopid- there never has been. It is a big mess and it will take a while to rebuild. As far as insulating pipes I doubt there tear the walls, floor, or ceilings out to retrofit any pipe insulation J Park. A plumber will patch the system, do a quick pressure test, and move on as quickly as they can.

On the bright side the roads are clear here anyway so the tools that only keep 2 days worth of groceries in the kitchen can plug up an HEB parkin lot. Those are usually native Texans. The California transplants only shop whole foods or trader joes

Re: Update from Texas [Re: walleye101] #7191037
02/21/21 08:52 AM
02/21/21 08:52 AM
Leftlane Offline OP
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline OP
"HOSS"

Originally Posted by walleye101
Not looking to place blame, just curious, how rare is this? Never happened before? Once in 100 years? Have not heard much about that.

The weather reports say the lows last week broke records set in the 1900s so this must be exactly that a 100 yr event.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread