No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7191445
02/21/21 04:42 PM
02/21/21 04:42 PM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline
trapper
Ohiowoodchuck  Offline
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Only YOU can change whats going on in your state. Do you go to annual DNR public meetings/hearings? Of course you dont. Do you participate in public surveys? No way. Do you encourage your outdoor-interested kids to pursue a career with a wildlife agency? Heck no.

Most of yall just want to sit around and gripe and do nothing but offer your uninforned opinions about WHY things are like they are. Misery likes company and yall are def not alone.

Handling this about like you handle other issues facing hunters and trappers in your state? Someone else can do it....yep!

Do you go there oh man of genius. I have been to several of the yearly meetings and voiced my opinion. After the last time the state didn’t have a bobcat season because of a bunch of left wing anti’s when there was a bunch of trappers and hunters there telling them there was bobcats everywhere and they even had enough proof in there little study they did. They catered to them because they was crying about the study wasn’t complete yet and we should wait till the study was done so we would know the true numbers. Guess what that was several years ago. Guess what else. The study still hasn’t been completed because a bunch of researchers are making a bunch of money sitting around licking the sacks. Ive called and wrote to them several time about why there not buying land or forcing the old mead corporation to honor the reduced tax rate the state gave them in there land in turn for public hunting. I got nowhere. They can sure afford all the new trucks four wheelers boats and swat gear but they can’t afford a 100 acres for public hunting. I’ve also called several times to see about doing stuff for grouse, rabbits etc. They just say a few things and hang up. So in closing. It’s to far gone just like this country. There isn’t enough men with balls to stand up and do something.

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”
— Thomas Paine
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: gcs] #7191542
02/21/21 06:47 PM
02/21/21 06:47 PM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by gcs
Same in NY, especially in the fisheries dept.
I'm contemplating getting bumper stickers... "DEFUND THE DEC"... cool

I believe Cuomo already has...

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7191768
02/21/21 10:13 PM
02/21/21 10:13 PM
Ohio, USA
Ave Offline
trapper
Ave  Offline
trapper

Ohio, USA
Do you go there oh man of genius. I have been to several of the yearly meetings and voiced my opinion. After the last time the state didn’t have a bobcat season because of a bunch of left wing anti’s when there was a bunch of trappers and hunters there telling them there was bobcats everywhere and they even had enough proof in there little study they did. They catered to them because they was crying about the study wasn’t complete yet and we should wait till the study was done so we would know the true numbers. Guess what that was several years ago. Guess what else. The study still hasn’t been completed because a bunch of researchers are making a bunch of money sitting around licking the sacks. Ive called and wrote to them several time about why there not buying land or forcing the old mead corporation to honor the reduced tax rate the state gave them in there land in turn for public hunting. I got nowhere. They can sure afford all the new trucks four wheelers boats and swat gear but they can’t afford a 100 acres for public hunting. I’ve also called several times to see about doing stuff for grouse, rabbits etc. They just say a few things and hang up. So in closing. It’s to far gone just like this country. There isn’t enough men with balls to stand up and do something. [/quote]

I go to meetings, make phone calls, participate in surveys, etc. Speaking of a bobcat season, I ran across at least a half a dozen sets of tracks today while beaver trapping. To be fair I covered a lot of ground, but still. They seem to be very thick where I’m at, but no season yet. I’ve talked to multiple trappers who regularly release 5 a year. Is there any talk about when it will be voted on again?

Last edited by Ave; 02/21/21 10:13 PM.

Ave don't go where the beaver don't flow
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7191920
02/22/21 12:23 AM
02/22/21 12:23 AM
Georgia
W
Wiz Offline
trapper
Wiz  Offline
trapper
W

Georgia
This has been an interesting topic.

I've worked for 3 state wildlife/fisheries agencies over the past 22 years. I started off in 1999-2001. For the most part, the vast majority of the folks I knew were avid hunters and anglers. Where I saw the most shenanigans was with the commissioner directing the agency. They often wanted stuff that contradicted solid science. One in particular was constantly pressuring us to turn a section of the one river into a trophy trout designation so he could open a guide service out of his property along the river. If you don't "help" them out, they make your life heck until you do or you quit/retire. My supervisor never gave in and had a quote from the former director on his wall that said "Do your duty and fear no one". Its hard to live (or stay employed) by this today with all of politics that are in the upper levels of agencies.

I spent 2004-2019 in another agency after graduate school. For the most part most folks were either hunters or anglers but only a handful trapped. Because these agencies are also charged with the nongame aspect of wildlife too and a void was left that allowed quite a few non-hook and bullet types in the agency. I was one of about 3 people in the entire section of 30+ biologists that was an avid sportsmen. One of our botanists was a past director for Greenpeace and a secretary was supporter of PETA. A few gave me flack for trapping using partial science but their ignorance failed to let them see other aspects that they didn't know benefited all wildlife and people. Others would support trapping because they saw what nest predators did to sea turtle nests. Ironically, the botanist that had worked for Greenpeace was fully supportive of deer hunting, hog hunting, bear hunting, and beaver trapping because they were the biggest reason mountain bogs with rare plants and turtles were getting destroyed. What was promising is several of the people that never hunted have finally came around and started deer hunting over the past year or two. Several participated in the Conservation Leaders For Tomorrow program which has given many of these folks with no experience a chance to learn about hunting. This program recognized that many of the new biologist in agencies don't have the experience or appreciation for hunting. The program leaders also would like to fit in trapping but its already a very long and costly program so I don't see this happening unless more funding becomes available.

Again, politics was another issue that made things tough in this agency. Lots of politicians within the upper end of the agency wanted things that benefited them and not the sportsmen or wildlife of the state. The wildlife director unfortunately said "no" too often and was asked to retire or he would be retired. This director was a big hunter and supporter of trapping and overall great director but didn't play their game. This was the first sign that it may be time to leave. Another sign was when the second in command got arrested for a DUI that caused multiple serious injuries to the passenger but he only got a lateral transfer. The cover up was slick as could be and most folks had no clue about it. I saw the moral compass of the leadership lacking and it played a big part my my decision to leave and agency that I really liked and that was family. In these cases, none of these political figures were anti hunting or trapping and I would say most would support it. They also didn't like any controversy so they liked to keep anything trapping related quiet, especially in a state that was getting infiltrated by more city folk which were out numbering the rest of the state. I'm not sure many would stick their necks out to openly support trapping.

The agency that I currently work for seems to be one of the most pro trapping I've seen nationwide. The commissioners and directors are supportive and the agency has been having a number of social media posts promoting trapping. Some of the biologist don't seem to be overly supportive of trapping but they don't seem to have any major opposition either. It also seems to have the most employees of any agency I've worked that trap on their own time. What is most perplexing is that the furbearer biologists in the past 2 agencies really didn't seem very supportive of trapping although I wouldn't consider them antis at all. I would more or less say that they were uninterested.

The USFWS on the other hand seems to have few biologist and managers that even hunt let alone trap. Some have a respect for it and other are very opposed to hunting and especially trapping. However, the regional PR director and I have been exchanging emails regarding a piece he is trying to write regarding the benefits of trapping to endangered species.

With all that said, I have also worked with a number of young recent graduates in the wildlife field that have never hunted but are interested in learning to hunt. A few mentioned that they can't find many experienced hunters that would consider mentoring them without being condescending or overly macho about it. I've witnessed some of this first hand. In these cases are we as hunters and/or trappers helping or hurting our cases in making sure that this and the next generation of wildlife managers are familiar with these aspects of wildlife management?

There are certainly a lot of anti folks working for wildlife agencies but there are also a lot of these folks that don't have a honest opinion because they don't know anything about it. There are also a lot of politicians at the top that are simply jellyfish and don't want anything to do with trapping because of the controversy it may bring. Of all of these threats, I'm most concerned with the political aspects from the upper leadership that tend to ignore the science or experts, often due to personal gain or ignorance of the process.

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: Diggerman] #7192046
02/22/21 08:03 AM
02/22/21 08:03 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Without a doubt, more every year.

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7192053
02/22/21 08:16 AM
02/22/21 08:16 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Yes.

DNR here have been great in my encounters with them over the years. Each is different because they are still people but they all have all been professional.

You don’t operate a bulldozer the same way you operate a truck and so on. Learning how to identify what you are driving and how to drive it is quite beneficial.

-Goofy-
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7192094
02/22/21 09:24 AM
02/22/21 09:24 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
That's like giving Larry Flynt a seat at the table in the Billy Graham Association. They keep trying to get on the board here but I don't think they've been successful, not yet.

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7192098
02/22/21 09:32 AM
02/22/21 09:32 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Absolutely. The first requirement is a college degree. Add to that women and minorities because of Affirmative Action. Enough said.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: Gary Benson] #7192135
02/22/21 10:39 AM
02/22/21 10:39 AM
Northern WI
L
Line Jumper Offline
trapper
Line Jumper  Offline
trapper
L

Northern WI
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Absolutely. The first requirement is a college degree. Add to that women and minorities because of Affirmative Action. Enough said.

This is right on the money, prior to about 30 years ago, the majority of people going into wildlife agencies did so because they grew up hunting, fishing and to a lesser degree, trapping. But those that didn't trap were 100 % for it, but let's face it of the three groups, we are the minority. The majority of those where white males. They lived for hunting and fishing throughout their career, then Affirmative Action changed things, and you could see it happen slowly like a disease, creeping in and now those people are running these agencies. There are still some good ones but they are slowly getting out numbered.

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7192141
02/22/21 10:47 AM
02/22/21 10:47 AM
Michigan
S
Stanley Offline
trapper
Stanley  Offline
trapper
S

Michigan
YES

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: Ave] #7192149
02/22/21 10:57 AM
02/22/21 10:57 AM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline
trapper
Ohiowoodchuck  Offline
trapper
O

Southern Ohio

I go to meetings, make phone calls, participate in surveys, etc. Speaking of a bobcat season, I ran across at least a half a dozen sets of tracks today while beaver trapping. To be fair I covered a lot of ground, but still. They seem to be very thick where I’m at, but no season yet. I’ve talked to multiple trappers who regularly release 5 a year. Is there any talk about when it will be voted on again?

Same here. I get trail camera pictures of them all the time. I listened to them carrying on all summer long every night on the hill in front of my house. My buddy who is in the same county over but just a few miles away sees them all the time, usually 2-3 at a time. I believe they usually raise a litter on his place every year. I haven’t spoken to the game warden in a few years over the vote or opening a season. I never see him any more. The only time I see him is the week of gun season.

— Thomas Paine
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7192158
02/22/21 11:09 AM
02/22/21 11:09 AM
Utah
foxhunter52 Offline
trapper
foxhunter52  Offline
trapper

Utah
They've made it so difficult for a young person to get a fur bearer license here in Utah that trapping fur bearers will be gone before long. It's difficult for a young person to attend a trapper education class if they don't offer one or the only one that is occasionally offered is 250 miles awasy. I called the DWR and their excuse was there just isn't enough interest in trapping to put a lot of financial resources toward it.

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: foxhunter52] #7192245
02/22/21 12:54 PM
02/22/21 12:54 PM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline
trapper
Ohiowoodchuck  Offline
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
Originally Posted by foxhunter52
They've made it so difficult for a young person to get a fur bearer license here in Utah that trapping fur bearers will be gone before long. It's difficult for a young person to attend a trapper education class if they don't offer one or the only one that is occasionally offered is 250 miles awasy. I called the DWR and their excuse was there just isn't enough interest in trapping to put a lot of financial resources toward it.

Do they offer it online. Ohio has put everything online. I would ask for a home course or something.

— Thomas Paine
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: Line Jumper] #7192253
02/22/21 12:59 PM
02/22/21 12:59 PM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by Line Jumper
Originally Posted by Gary Benson

This is right on the money, prior to about 30 years ago, the majority of people going into wildlife agencies did so because they grew up hunting, fishing and to a lesser degree, trapping. But those that didn't trap were 100 % for it, but let's face it of the three groups, we are the minority. The majority of those where white males. They lived for hunting and fishing throughout their career, then Affirmative Action changed things, and you could see it happen slowly like a disease, creeping in and now those people are running these agencies. There are still some good ones but they are slowly getting out numbered.

But even 30 years ago biologists needed a college education...You guys can't possibly be saying anyone who has a college education in fish or wildlife management is an anti....

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7192282
02/22/21 01:36 PM
02/22/21 01:36 PM
ME.
W
WBG Offline
trapper
WBG  Offline
trapper
W

ME.
Posco, Do you know who the current commissioners previous employer was?

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7192285
02/22/21 01:38 PM
02/22/21 01:38 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Ohiowoodchuck
Only YOU can change whats going on in your state. Do you go to annual DNR public meetings/hearings? Of course you dont. Do you participate in public surveys? No way. Do you encourage your outdoor-interested kids to pursue a career with a wildlife agency? Heck no.

Most of yall just want to sit around and gripe and do nothing but offer your uninforned opinions about WHY things are like they are. Misery likes company and yall are def not alone.

Handling this about like you handle other issues facing hunters and trappers in your state? Someone else can do it....yep!

Do you go there oh man of genius. I have been to several of the yearly meetings and voiced my opinion. After the last time the state didn’t have a bobcat season because of a bunch of left wing anti’s when there was a bunch of trappers and hunters there telling them there was bobcats everywhere and they even had enough proof in there little study they did. They catered to them because they was crying about the study wasn’t complete yet and we should wait till the study was done so we would know the true numbers. Guess what that was several years ago. Guess what else. The study still hasn’t been completed because a bunch of researchers are making a bunch of money sitting around licking the sacks. Ive called and wrote to them several time about why there not buying land or forcing the old mead corporation to honor the reduced tax rate the state gave them in there land in turn for public hunting. I got nowhere. They can sure afford all the new trucks four wheelers boats and swat gear but they can’t afford a 100 acres for public hunting. I’ve also called several times to see about doing stuff for grouse, rabbits etc. They just say a few things and hang up. So in closing. It’s to far gone just like this country. There isn’t enough men with balls to stand up and do something.

I have gone to meetings regarding the wolf situation and other issues. They listen, then do what ever they want.
An example was a local lake where the DNR was listening to many of the landowners regarding the stocking of catfish in the lake. The vote was very unanimous against the stocking, but they did it anyway. This way they can say they held at meeting with all the landowners on the lake prior to the stocking. Of course, they don't comment on the how the voting went unless it had been in favor. Then they would have.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7194669
02/24/21 04:30 PM
02/24/21 04:30 PM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline
trapper
Ohiowoodchuck  Offline
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
Here is another fine example of the odnr. I’m going to research when the last time they bought land for hunting and trapping. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wkbn.com/news/ohio/ohio-announces-new-state-park/amp/

— Thomas Paine
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7195342
02/25/21 09:21 AM
02/25/21 09:21 AM
MT
W
WatrToad Offline
trapper
WatrToad  Offline
trapper
W

MT
Never thought I would say this in Montana but yes. I remember going into the Helena FWP office across from the capitol last year to buy licenses. The employee parking lot was full of cars with liberal bumper stickers. Walked into the office and saw nothing but pasty skinned hipsters in every office. Not one person wearing camo, blue jeans, or flannel. No question they are hiring wardens and biologist who don’t hunt. Hope our new Governor guts the leadership in Helena.

Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: AJE] #7195423
02/25/21 10:34 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
The manager of the Federal Wildlife Refuge here has the name of Juancarlos. College educated but I've never seen him out of his office.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Do you think many antis work for state DNRs? [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7195426
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Ohiowoodchuck

Do you go there oh man of genius.

No genius here, but yessir, I'm somewhat involved with Ga DNR...lol

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread