No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Been thinking about the future of my life. #7191386
02/21/21 03:42 PM
02/21/21 03:42 PM
Ohio
G
Gone Trappin. Offline OP
trapper
Gone Trappin.  Offline OP
trapper
G

Ohio
I’m going to be a junior next year so gotta decide if I want to go to trade school or stay in HS. Im planning on starting my own greenhouse and aquaponics business in the future and maybe a custom greenhouse business to fit people’s wants because I feel like that would be a money maker in the future with greenhouses being the farming of the future and more people growing stuff themselves with not much space, add that with people focusing on appearance and aesthetic, a custom greenhouse would be something they would buy. Beyond that I thought about going to West Point (or trying to) as I have received e-mails from them based off a test a took freshman year. Although I don’t know if the military would be my thing. A third opinion is do be a game warden. So the last 2 are pretty simple but I don’t know about the first one, would college help me in this? Maybe botany or horticulture? What trade? Or should I just get a job right out and start making capital to start this business. I’m just asking for a little advice on how I should go about making a career for myself. I know I would be happy and have peace of mind with all the jobs though and that’s important to me. No matter what I do, I’m gonna end up in cabin out in the trees with a family. Any advice would be appreciated, or thoughts on my ideas.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191392
02/21/21 03:51 PM
02/21/21 03:51 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Pursue the things you are passionate about.
Don't fret over and be anxious about the future. You sound like a rational, intelligent guy, things will work out, trust me.

Last edited by waggler; 02/21/21 10:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191394
02/21/21 03:56 PM
02/21/21 03:56 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Good to hear from a young man weighing his options and interests. No one but you can choose. Wish our country had more high schoolers like you.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191403
02/21/21 04:03 PM
02/21/21 04:03 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by Gone Trappin.
I’m going to be a junior next year so gotta decide if I want to go to trade school or stay in HS. Im planning on starting my own greenhouse and aquaponics business in the future and maybe a custom greenhouse business to fit people’s wants because I feel like that would be a money maker in the future with greenhouses being the farming of the future and more people growing stuff themselves with not much space, add that with people focusing on appearance and aesthetic, a custom greenhouse would be something they would buy. Beyond that I thought about going to West Point (or trying to) as I have received e-mails from them based off a test a took freshman year. Although I don’t know if the military would be my thing. A third opinion is do be a game warden. So the last 2 are pretty simple but I don’t know about the first one, would college help me in this? Maybe botany or horticulture? What trade? Or should I just get a job right out and start making capital to start this business. I’m just asking for a little advice on how I should go about making a career for myself. I know I would be happy and have peace of mind with all the jobs though and that’s important to me. No matter what I do, I’m gonna end up in cabin out in the trees with a family. Any advice would be appreciated, or thoughts on my ideas.

It appears you're possible career endeavours are scattered all over the place. Kinda like saying when you reach a fork in the road, take it. If your final goal is to be (in bold) this end, then apply yourself to what will allow you to achieve that. Finish your education first. Trade schools are good. Learn to work with your hands and mind both. There's a lot of jobless people out there with Phd's. Think about spending some time in the military . . . and not necessarily an Academy. Just my .02 . . . "Plan your work, work your plan".

Last edited by SJA; 02/21/21 04:05 PM.

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191409
02/21/21 04:07 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
That is quite a wide range of options you laid out. That's not really unusual or bad at your age and it's good that you are considering your options now. Personally, I don't see much future in a custom greenhouse business. The market is just too small for something that specialized. Hydroponics has not worked out so well for some folks I know that gave it a try. Big ag is where the money is, small local growers cannot compete.

Although I did not serve in the military, a chance to get an appointment to West Point and an officer's career sounds like a chance that should not be squandered. If your test scores are such that West Point is interested, another very cost effective option is to go to a local community college for 2 years then finish at a 4 year university. Look at state schools in the southern states. They are just as good but far less expensive than northern state universities. If you go the college route, the essential element is to do it in a curriculum that will ensure good employment. Otherwise you have wasted a lot of time and money.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191411
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Some real good things from Wag and Danny so far and I hope you get a bunch more. Imo, 90% of Juniors and probably 80% of Seniors have no clue about their future and will either follow in the parents footsteps or wing it because it's a hard thing to ponder on. Good on you for posting this because you have a leg up on most. My advice, ponder hard on what gives you the most happiness when you think about it, and then go for it, grab it by the horns and go.

In today's times a College education is forced on youngins and it does pan out for some, but not so much for a lot of others. So, you have time. Dig deep, choose your path and go for it with all you have. Good luck kid!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191414
02/21/21 04:09 PM
02/21/21 04:09 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Get settled first then get married.

Nevada bound
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191417
02/21/21 04:17 PM
02/21/21 04:17 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
First thing to do is move to a free area of the country, preferably rural and then do the things you need to do.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191449
02/21/21 04:45 PM
02/21/21 04:45 PM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Do NOT get forced or persuaded into a 4 year school unless thats what will help achieve your goals. So many, myself included, were told thats what youre supposed to do, even if you were undecided about a career or path. Unless it is needed it is a giant waste of money. Sounds like you may have this figured out already. Id steer clear of the game warden spot as well, and law enforcement in general.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191453
02/21/21 04:49 PM
02/21/21 04:49 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Online content
trapper
trapdog1  Online Content
trapper
T

Iowa
And while you are young don't forget to take the time for beer and wild women. grin

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191458
02/21/21 04:56 PM
02/21/21 04:56 PM
Winter Springs, Florida
D
Davexx1 Offline
trapper
Davexx1  Offline
trapper
D

Winter Springs, Florida
I suggest to get your education first. Many, if not all, worthwhile companies will not even consider you for employment if you don't have at least a high school diploma and many want an AA degree or better.

For employment, find a field that you like and would enjoy working in. In all probability your priority will change as you get older and its best to be prepared for that change of directions with a good education. You are not too young to plan for your retirement and the best way to do that is to go to work with a large company now that has benefits, medical insurance, paid vacations & holidays, retirement plans, 401K, etc. Over your working career that may span 30 or 40 years, you can/will amass a sizable retirement and could even retire earlier than most because you started young. Working for whatever jobs you can find, doing construction/contracting work, etc usually don't have good benefit and insurance plans. Working for a big company, utility company, etc. will have the best benefit plans that will help you and your future family. Start out on the ground floor and work your way up within the company.

If possible, avoid marriage and/or pregnancy until later in life. That and debt and monthly payments can be a real ball and chain to a young man just starting out.

Good luck. Dave

Last edited by Davexx1; 02/21/21 04:57 PM.
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191464
02/21/21 05:01 PM
02/21/21 05:01 PM
KS
R
Rock Creek 1 Offline
trapper
Rock Creek 1  Offline
trapper
R

KS
I have one the same age as you with the same question about his future. He has decided on Tech school for a start he learns with hands on better than by books, and if he decides to go to college can pay for it with his tech degree. Maybe?

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191470
02/21/21 05:21 PM
02/21/21 05:21 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Ohio State University has agricultural majors available that can help you own a greenhouse and aquaponics business in the future or a custom greenhouse business. I recommend getting a minor in marketing too. Working or volunteering at an aquaponics greenhouse can help you determine if that's what you want to do and greatly shorten your learning curve. It's better to get your knowledge from someone else who is experienced and then build on it, rather than start out with just research. It saves a lot of money and time.

Keith

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: waggler] #7191473
02/21/21 05:32 PM
02/21/21 05:32 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Originally Posted by waggler
Pursure the things you are passionate about.
Don't fret over and be anxious about the future. You sound like a rational, intelligent guy, things will work out, trust me.

That's not what Mike Rowe says.

No Jab.
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191477
02/21/21 05:34 PM
02/21/21 05:34 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Marry a smart girl with rich parents. Love is overrated. Go for the money. LOL.

No Jab.
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191480
02/21/21 05:41 PM
02/21/21 05:41 PM
WI
WIFrost Offline
trapper
WIFrost  Offline
trapper

WI
Advice I was given as a kid was go to a tech and learn a trade..... any trade.

I’ve seen it in the last decade in the welding trade, if you’re willing to show up for work and advance your skills, you’ll have work at a very livable wage. If you chose to take a different path for a while you will always have that trade skill to fall back on.

Electrical, plumbing, welding, machining, construction..... etc

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191482
02/21/21 05:46 PM
02/21/21 05:46 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
talk to (and LISTEN to!) people who are already doing those things (or the closest to it).

for instance, game warden. although I am not one, I have some understanding of the profession. for the most part, those positions are so competitive that even though a degree may not be "required", you'll never get past everyone who HAS a degree in LE or wildlife management without it.

Talk to those who are DOING the job, and get their input.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191493
02/21/21 05:59 PM
02/21/21 05:59 PM
wyoming
W
WyFurHarvesters Offline
trapper
WyFurHarvesters  Offline
trapper
W

wyoming
FINISH HIGH SCHOOL!! 2 years you may have a whole different outlook on life FINISH! As far as the rest of it talk to people in private business for what your wanting I doubt a degree would help you much and would cost a bundle. Go to work for someone in the greenhouse business read up on it and learn what you can. Ask people with any successful business what it takes to make things work. Find out the good and bad points of owning your own business. As far as West Point talk to people who have done a military career or other vets and find out the good, bad and ugly. I would not depend on the advice from recruiters get as much info as you can on it. Some good advice is figure out what you enjoy in life that you can make a living at. Game Warden in most cases BS or MS better for starters then working for years part time. Not great pay in most cases and long hours but a lot of outdoor work but a lot of paper work also. Your ahead of most folks your age, your thinking about it and not just blowing in the wind you will do well.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: trapdog1] #7191502
02/21/21 06:17 PM
02/21/21 06:17 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by trapdog1
g don't forget to take the time for beer and wild women. grin
m

Great way to blow enough money to start ya biz and buy a house.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191507
02/21/21 06:20 PM
02/21/21 06:20 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
So many h.s offer college transfer classes now, my advice is to take all that you can handle. My daughter was charter schooled from jr high on (she went to public for sports and music). The point being both the charter school and the public school offered "college credit" options - she basically graduated from h.s. just a couple of terms short of an transfer degree -- and will be graduating this year in engineering at O.S.U. Take all the college transfer courses you can squeeze in because if you do decide to go to college anything you can transfer saves you $. most of what my daughter took was math and english -- mostly required for a degree in anything. Do not be afraid to pursue your dream ---- You can always got to work for someone else if the need arises or you decide that your chosen profession isn't what you thought. In any job you are working at take advantage of any training or education that they offer -- knowledge is power. They can't take away your knowledge when you leave.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread