No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: white marlin] #7191512
02/21/21 06:21 PM
02/21/21 06:21 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by white marlin
talk to (and LISTEN to!) people who are already doing those things (or the closest to it).

for instance, game warden. although I am not one, I have some understanding of the profession. for the most part, those positions are so competitive that even though a degree may not be "required", you'll never get past everyone who HAS a degree in LE or wildlife management without it.

Talk to those who are DOING the job, and get their input.

Good advice. GW must have 4 if not 6 yr degrees.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: WyFurHarvesters] #7191514
02/21/21 06:23 PM
02/21/21 06:23 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by WyFurHarvesters
FINISH HIGH SCHOOL!! 2 years you may have a whole different outlook on life FINISH!

Very good advice.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191517
02/21/21 06:27 PM
02/21/21 06:27 PM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Regardless of what career/college/no college you pursue, start investing the second you get a job. Even if its just a small amount, put it in an ira or something similar-lot of guys on here a lot smarter than me about that-but kee adding to it. In 20 years youll be shocked what it could be worth.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191520
02/21/21 06:33 PM
02/21/21 06:33 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
I am almost 60 years old now, I am on career # 5 spending more than a decade or so in a couple. Each career change sort of was complimented by experience gained in each previous career choice. Learn to work your hands and take care of yourself and needs, that alone can save you thousands and thousands of dollars in your life. Like others have said learn all you can, about everything that interests you and some things that don't interest you just yet. "Old sayings" become old sayings when they are true. So here is one,
"Knowledge is Power" Also don't be shocked or unhappy when the career of your dream's loses it's shine a few years or months in. You will do well with your attitude and drive. Best wishes to you.

Last edited by Feedinggrounds; 02/21/21 06:35 PM.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191527
02/21/21 06:38 PM
Ohio
BuckMink Offline
trapper
BuckMink  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Finish high school, learn as much as you can. Take full advantage of what you can even if your classmates goof off. It's your career not theirs.

If you want to run a business, any business; get a degree. The Bachelor's of business administration is the standard degree and gives you good foundation for operations management. Your goal isn't to do the hand and foot work, your goal should be to be the brains of the organization, the strategic vision of what you want accomplished. You hire the talent and lead them in the core goals you set. You don't see the ceo, coo, or cfo on the floor packing boxes or greeting customers do you? Of course this is fortune 500 companies but a small mom and pop business where you wear many hats and you may just be the one greeting customers but first and foremost should have a business mindset not the worker bee mindset.

I HIGHLY suggest a degree but if you still don't want the degree then pick trade WITH a GOOD MENTOR... A good mentor. Start from the bottom up..

In the meantime, get a job for experience in all areas and work under someone to learn the trade/business from the ground up as you finish your degree. Learn how each segment operates and what is required.

Then finally... An MBA down the road will also catapult your career, don't let anyone else say otherwise. A business's bottom line is profit. Get a good handle on finances. A business doesn't survive by just being nice.

Then you can pick and choose where you want that little dream cabin on the lake with your family with the income to give you a good life without sweating away working overtime to make ends meet.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191529
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
How many people go to collage or trade schools and then go do something else, find your passion and you never really work a day in your life. Get your diploma some will judge you if you don’t “those” being employers, until your committed to one direction that big of a move could be a big mistake. Don’t rush it your young still.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191535
02/21/21 06:42 PM
02/21/21 06:42 PM
Ohio
BuckMink Offline
trapper
BuckMink  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Also if you find a niche/need that you do not see being met, that's a good place to start too. Enjoy the journey.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191537
02/21/21 06:44 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I’m going to give you the same advice I gave my boys, but I didn’t receive.
Pick something you look forward to waking up for every morning. Don’t worry about money. I know some will say that’s not good advice, but trust me, if you are doing something you absolutely love doing then you’ll learn to live with the money you do make.
I’ll use Brennan as an example. He graduated and went to college. He was working part time at a plantation and got an opportunity at a larger plantation full time. We talked and all I told him is do what makes you happy. Well he dropped out of college and started working for this particular plantation. Decent money, a house to live in, and plenty of perks of the job, lol. He looks forward to getting up every morning and going to work. A lot has to do with work environment and the fact they’re all treated like family, but still he enjoys his job. A 9-5 factory, desk, or even repair type work is just not who he is.
He’s now 24 or about to be, got married, he and his wife bought their own house (across the street from us) and are expecting a baby. He still loves his job and has moved up in ranks with even more perks, lol. His plantation offers insurance and a 401K. The only thing he doesn’t enjoy is a week in July when they split enough wood for the next quail season, lol.
Whatever you decide make it something you WANT to do. I didn’t sit around as a kid thinking I want to work for the local telephone company when I get older even though I make pretty decent money. My son has my dream job, always in the outdoors with plenty of hunting and fishing opportunities. Thankfully he shares some of those perks with his dad.

I will say this also. If you have the opportunity at West Point, then I’d jump all over that. The military will give you opportunities you might have never even thought of.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191538
Ohio
BuckMink Offline
trapper
BuckMink  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted by Law Dog
How many people go to collage or trade schools and then go do something else, find your passion and you never really work a day in your life. Get your diploma some will judge you if you don’t “those” being employers, until your committed to one direction that big of a move could be a big mistake. Don’t rush it your young still.

Totally, at very minimum get the high school finished. If you look at job requirements 99 percent will at least say high school diploma required.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191543
02/21/21 06:47 PM
02/21/21 06:47 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I always told the kids at the youth academy no matter what you do be the best at it, if your shoveling crap then be the best crap shoveler they have and you always be needed then or the last to go!

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191546
02/21/21 06:49 PM
02/21/21 06:49 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
At the very least graduate high school. I know in NM g&f officers need to have a degree in biology forestry or similar field.
You can work in trades during school breaks or weekends. Some companies might let you clean up after school.
Green house building would be a good side gig.
I know hs now offers college courses take as many as you can.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191550
02/21/21 06:54 PM
02/21/21 06:54 PM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
Finish High School. Game warden now is at least a 4 year degree in most places. Military is experience, education and college mostly paid for or learn a trade on Uncle Sam's dime. Starting a business usually requires money, either make some in a trade or the military. Getting a start up loan will be tough with only a HS diploma and no formal experience. You seem to be level headed and mature for your age. Good luck.

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191551
02/21/21 06:55 PM
02/21/21 06:55 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Make a list. Narrow it down:

What do you like?

Out of the things you like... What are you good at?

Out of the things you like and are good at... Will it make you a good living?

If it will provide a good living... What will it take to get started?

And if you change your mind later you CAN do something else... Starting over and changing careers is a big hassle when you have the responsibilities of family and bills... But it's still doable.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Mike in A-town] #7191556
02/21/21 07:02 PM
02/21/21 07:02 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
A lot of High Schools offer capstone programs where students can train and work at companies as part of their course work and also learn skills and also if you like or don't like those industries. Don't leave HS prior to graduation for trades. With average male life expectancy for our age group being 90 by the time you reach that age you have time. Also with a HS degree or trade or two year degree many firms will assist in the cost of getting a Ba or BS degree or pay for it all. Firms invest in the staff they want to train and keep. Running a green house for produce can be a full time business or a side business while working in other areas. Also remember that selling local grown food needs a market and that may mean living closer to population centers than some might suggest also that is where many of the new jobs will be as well.

Bryce

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191655
02/21/21 08:18 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Finish high school. After that if you still aren’t sure what direction to take, get a job in one of the fields you are interested in and start taking the prerequisites from community college.

You’re a junior. You’re not running out of time. In fact you have all the time in the world. Don’t do something foolish like quitting high school. All that does is severely limit your future options. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that whatever path you choose right now is going to be the only path you have for the rest of your life. Keep your options open. Two books I recommend you read, debt free degree by Anthony O’Neil and the proximity principal by ken Coleman. Both will help you choose a path and go about setting yourself up for success

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191656
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
There are many paths to success. College is one of those if you're going to college to learn a trade. What I mean is: consider college a trade school. If you decide to pursue college, make sure you are learning how to do a job. Study to be an engineer, pharmacist, nurse, CPA, teacher, whatever. Don't go to get a degree. Lots of graduates with degrees who didn't study for a particular career.

About hydroponics. It won't ever replace regular farming. Land is too cheap for greenhouses to be able to compete. There are niche markets for hydroponics. If you decide to go to college for agriculture or agribusiness, choose classes that teach you the trade you want to be in within agriculture.

And, I see no reason to wait to start a hydroponics business. My best friend from high school built a 12x30 hoop house while in high school. He put two layers of plastic on it and set up a small squirrel cage fan to blow air between the two layers to keep them separated to create an insulating air space. Installed a residential water heater to keep the hydroponic solution warm, and built his own hydroponic setup from PVC pipe. He grew lettuce because it's a cold weather crop and he could grow it in a greenhouse in the winter with minimal heat. He would pack up boxes of lettuce and stop to show his product to restaurants in the area. Many bought a couple of boxes out of the trunk of his car on his first visit. After a few weeks, he had more demand than he could keep up with.

This was back when there were no cell phones and only drug dealers and doctors were using pagers. He had one to keep up with his lettuce orders. He got called to the main office in high school because he was getting pages during the day and they figured he was selling drugs. Nope, just lettuce.

He went on to have some pretty big successes in business. Marketing manager and eventually CEO of some companies we've all heard of.

Last edited by maintenanceguy; 02/21/21 08:23 PM.

-Ryan
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191662
02/21/21 08:21 PM
02/21/21 08:21 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
2 years college time or a trade school degree or 4 years military service with honorable discharge.

This is for Georgia DNR Law Enforcement.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Law Dog] #7191665
02/21/21 08:27 PM
02/21/21 08:27 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Originally Posted by Law Dog
I always told the kids at the youth academy no matter what you do be the best at it, if your shoveling crap then be the best crap shoveler they have and you always be needed then or the last to go!

This is kinda what Mike Rowe says too. He also says don't follow your passion, but do what you're really good at instead. Do that and do it your best. You will find success.

No Jab.
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191671
02/21/21 08:33 PM
02/21/21 08:33 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
I did time in the navy working in steam generation got an incredible education in thermal dynamics and working with my hands on technical machinery and everything that goes with it took a commission as a warrant hated it got out started my own business as an hvac contractor 8 years later joined the army to serve in Iraq with my son in the infrantry retired still have my gi Bill now what I wish I had done. College isn’t all it is cracked up to be unless it’s a degree that has good job opportunities. I have a high school diploma. The only thing I would change is to learn and do refrigeration, pay is awesome and it is and for the foreseeable future will be in high demand. Let’s look at your list. Custom green houses good money but you aren’t established enough to get the start up money and accounts you will need to run a business. Starting a business with a heavy debt load can lead to disaster. Aqua ponics is a niche market again start up. Ag can be an awesome future and life and if you want your own business then I would go to college and get an ag/ business degree and do ag consulting. Now West Point. Great education definitely won’t be exposed to liberals for professors and will study real history and mathematics along with traditional studies. When you graduate you will be an Army officer. You will manage troops manage budgets have invoke punishment and be responsible for tactics and your troops being able to shoot, move and communicate. There are other fields available but you will still have personnel under you. Conversely you will be responsible for those above you. It will also be a lengthily process. It will give you above average leadership skills you should be able to put up some money and study and prepare for your life after you let uncle sugar get you off to a good start not to mention self discipline. There is also green energy as well as conventional energy. You have your whole life ahead of you don’t mess it up with women children or debit early in your adventure. You are already WAY ahead of most and I for one have all the confidence in the world that you are destined for great things. My grandpa told me something at a very young age that I will pass on to you. With the exception of the military no job is holding a gun to your head to stay there, it is always easier to find work when you have work, be happy with what you do. Leave this world better than you found it, always try to give more than you take, and finally a man does what he has to do sometimes to take care of his responsibilities instead of what he wants to do but never loose sight of what you want to do.

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: Been thinking about the future of my life. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7191675
02/21/21 08:37 PM
02/21/21 08:37 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I’ll add something else. My son graduated with a young man who decided he wasn’t going to have a boss. He thumbed through the phone book as a Junior in high school and found the least amount of advertising for any business.
He chose pressure washing. Started out with a little portable machine in the back of his truck. Today at 23 or 24 he has a 2 year business degree (Mom and older brothers threatened his life if he didn’t get it, lol) he runs 3 different trailers, offers hot water washing (which no one else had at the time) has three flatbeds to pull those trailers, and has more work than he can keep up with. He makes mid 6 figures a year and will probably retire in his 30’s and start something else if he wants or play until he’s too old to do so. This kid just looked in a phone book...

Got another buddy that was tired of his “job” that he was successful at and decided that he’d start a roofing business after paying a roofer to put a roof on a couple of his rental houses. He even asked the roofer to hire him and then bought the company when the owner retired. Said it’s the best move he made.

If your wanting money, there are jobs or businesses you can start to make some serious money if you put in the work. You are young...the sky is the limit. But choose something you’ll enjoy doing.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread