No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Scent shy coon #7193258
02/23/21 11:40 AM
02/23/21 11:40 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline OP
trapper
MJM  Offline OP
trapper
M

ND
I went out to get the mail and saw a coon on the dirt road. It was headed north and crossed the fence at the tree row on the north end of the pasture. I grabbed the 22 and headed to the east end of the trees. I could not see far north because of the shape of the hill so I walked out about ten yards and stood facing west. The coon came out just south of me and when it got to my track it stopped and stuck its nose in a track. It spun and ran back west into the brush and trees. I headed back to the south side of the rows and it went back across the road and ran across the open ground into the brush. It ran over 100 yards from where it smelled the track. It acted more like a coyote of fox than it did a coon. I never thought of a coon being scent shy to that extreme. I would have been shooting toward the house if I shot, so I was waiting for it to get further east. The chickens were out and I didn't really care for a coon running around. It was about 02:00 PM, but skunks and coon often move in the daylight looking for something to eat in the spring.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Scent shy coon [Re: MJM] #7193266
02/23/21 11:49 AM
02/23/21 11:49 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
We used to float the river calling and hunting coons, a lot. I have seen several along the bank raise their nose and head for the hills, right after I'd feel that tell tell breeze on the back of my neck. Was pretty surprising the first few times. But there is no question they can smell you, I think sometimes they just don't care.

Re: Scent shy coon [Re: MJM] #7193290
02/23/21 12:09 PM
02/23/21 12:09 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Quite some years ago I was bow hunting in a tree. Watched a coon with 3 smaller ones coming threw the woods. As soon as it cut my track it spun on it's heals and hightailed it. Yes they can smell a fresh track

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread