No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: Dirk] #7193121
02/23/21 08:39 AM
02/23/21 08:39 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline OP
trapper
walleye101  Offline OP
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by Dirk
Pools 3-8 on the Mississippi River have a 4 fish limit, 15" minimum and 1 over 20"

I wouldn't mind it down to 3 fish, eliminate the out of state meat hunters

With this attitude why not go to Mille Lacs regs statewide? That would eliminate the in state "meat hunters" as well.

The point is there is no biological reason to go from 6 to 4.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193138
02/23/21 09:16 AM
02/23/21 09:16 AM
minnesota
G
gman Offline
trapper
gman  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
Keith. You obviously didn't read any of the articles you posted. And by the way I am not defending the ML netting-I don't like it at all but I also don't bs.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: Dirk] #7193158
02/23/21 09:44 AM
02/23/21 09:44 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Online content
trapper
BernieB.  Online Content
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Pools 3-8 on the Mississippi River have a 4 fish limit, 15" minimum and 1 over 20"

There are no out of state meat hunters coming to Minnesota. The slot limits in so many lakes are so restrictive you can hardly keep enough for a meal. Nobody's going to travel to Minnesota to keep 6 fish of which only one can be over 20. They are coming for other reasons if they are coming at all.

Just go to Devils Lake, or just about any other lake in North or South Dakota. Look at the license plates of the trucks in the parking lots. Droves of Minnesota anglers are taking their money to the Dakotas to fish because you can actually keep enough fish to make it worth going. There are currently 67 different walleye length, slot and possession limits in Minnesota. And when a survey was done of people who quit fishing, the number one answer for the reason they quit was that the regulations were too complicated.

What's being done in Minnesota the past 25 years is not working. PERIOD. Not working. I don't know what the answer is, but I'll bet it's not to keep doing the same thing only more of it.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193162
02/23/21 09:48 AM
02/23/21 09:48 AM
Michigan
M
Michigander Offline
trapper
Michigander  Offline
trapper
M

Michigan
Sheesh sounds like a mess. How can you justify going fishing for a 1 fish limit on Mille Lacs?

We are struggling to harvest enough walleyes in the Saginaw bay and Lake Erie. Limit of 8 in the bay and a 6 limit in Erie with talks of increasing it. Record walleye hatches the past couple years have ensured superb fishing for the next decade.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193210
02/23/21 10:45 AM
02/23/21 10:45 AM
Mn
M
mskrtman Offline
trapper
mskrtman  Offline
trapper
M

Mn
On another note, I never thought I'd see the day the sunfish limit was half the northern pike limit. Looks like that's the deal in a few days for much of the state.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193233
02/23/21 11:17 AM
02/23/21 11:17 AM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
Bernie, I agree that there are many complicated regulations in our state from one body of water to another. That said, how can there not be? Putting a blanket limit or regulations on all lakes state-wide would be difficult to do when some rely on stocking for walleye presence, some rely on natural production, some are netted (Mille Lacs), some are border waters, etc. There are a lot of variables that come into play when considering what a lake can and can't handle.
I would argue that there is more pressure on fish today than there ever has been. More people are fishing, equipment and technology make it easier to target and catch fish, equipment makes it easier to spend more hours on the lake (sleeper fish houses), etc. etc. How can we do nothing to constrict regulations yet expect fishing to be as good or better than it's been in the past? I don't think there's anything wrong with a 4 fish limit. Heck, I live on Lake of the Woods and when I want to catch fish I go over to Canada. The fishing is much better, the scenery is better, and there are less fisherman. And remember, the limit in Ontario is only 2 walleyes. What's that saying?

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: Dirk] #7193274
02/23/21 11:57 AM
02/23/21 11:57 AM
s.e. minnesota
H
Hornytoad1 Offline
trapper
Hornytoad1  Offline
trapper
H

s.e. minnesota

The limit on MN,WI boarder water changed from 6 down to 4 in 2020. The change came because the MN&WI dnr surveyed anglers and found a very lopsided majority of anglers from BOTH states wanted the reduction. You don't need biological support when people cried for it. A case of careful what you ask for. You brother anglers across the river may see Wis. dnr do the same one day.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: gman] #7193313
02/23/21 12:35 PM
02/23/21 12:35 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by gman
Keith. You obviously didn't read any of the articles you posted. And by the way I am not defending the ML netting-I don't like it at all but I also don't bs.

The articles all clearly state the natives waste huge numbers of fish. They likely take and use and resell even more. It's not good for the numbers of fish.

Keith

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: KeithC] #7193316
02/23/21 12:41 PM
02/23/21 12:41 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by KeithC
The big problem with Minnesota walleye numbers seems to be over harvest and wanton waste by the Mille Lacs Band of Chippewa Indians.

Keith

Amen to that. Not to mention netting in the spawning beds during spawning season. MN DNR says it doesn't have an impact on the spawning, so they don't comment on it for fear of being called racist.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193319
02/23/21 12:50 PM
02/23/21 12:50 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
I agree that it seems hypocritical for them to be netting in the spring but I disagree that over harvest and wanton waste of walleyes in our state is strictly due to native netting. A majority of walleye lakes in MN are not netting. Some of our best walleye lakes are netted (Red Lakes) and they are still premier walleye lakes. Some lakes can sustain being netted and fished heavily because they have fantastic natural production. Others can't.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193320
02/23/21 12:51 PM
02/23/21 12:51 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by walleye101
The big problem with Minnesota walleye numbers seems to be over harvest and wanton waste by the Mille Lacs Band of Chippewa Indians.

Keith

Well, band harvest is really only happening on Mille Lacs Lake. And that lake has the tightest harvest restrictions anyone could imagine. No harvest at all 9 months of the year, then winter harvest with a ONE fish bag limit, if the one fish is in a TWO INCH harvest slot between 21-23 inches. So how has reduced harvest worked out on that lake?

It has worked out well for the Indians while bankrupting resorts. Although, the resorts have been very busy once governor Porky Pig allowed them to open again. I've never seen that many fish houses on the lake in years. Which means the DNR will probably say too many fish were taken this winter as a result and the summer season will be catch and release only. That will last about a month and the DNR will say catch and release has caused too high of a mortality rate. Then, they'll close the summer season for walleyes.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193322
02/23/21 12:54 PM
02/23/21 12:54 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline OP
trapper
walleye101  Offline OP
trapper
W

MN
Mille Lacs is an interesting topic on it's own but has nothing to do with the proposed change in statewide bag limit. Nor does netting on Mille Lacs have any impact on the rest of the lakes in Minnesota.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: gman] #7193331
02/23/21 01:02 PM
02/23/21 01:02 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by gman

I've had a place on the lake for over 20 years. He's not bsing, just telling it like it is. There have been articles with pictures showing piles of non-target fish dumped in the woods. These Indians are the worst conservationists out there. They net in the spawning beds while the fish are spawning!

One day while out jet skiing my wife and daughter came across an Indian gill net that obviously hadn't been checked recently. There were about 15 dead, rotted walleyes, a couple were still alive, 2 loons, a duck, and a few other species of fish. I called a conservation officer and took him out to where the nets were. He took several photos and pulled the net on shore. Nothing ever came of that. Nothing in the paper, no comment from the DNR. They basically covered it up. I wouldn't be surprised if the CO was reprimanded for taking photos.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: atrapper] #7193336
02/23/21 01:09 PM
02/23/21 01:09 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by atrapper
I agree that it seems hypocritical for them to be netting in the spring but I disagree that over harvest and wanton waste of walleyes in our state is strictly due to native netting. A majority of walleye lakes in MN are not netting. Some of our best walleye lakes are netted (Red Lakes) and they are still premier walleye lakes. Some lakes can sustain being netted and fished heavily because they have fantastic natural production. Others can't.

True. But, over harvesting due to netting on Red took place not not that long ago. The lake was shut down to walleye anglers. It took some years for the lake to come back. I know because I went up there and caught some of the biggest crappies I've ever caught as a result. Now, the crappies seem to be gone and the walleyes are back. But, they had to get the Indians to agree not to net until the walleyes came back. The walleyes were depleted due to the netting more so than the angler pressure.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: atrapper] #7193342
02/23/21 01:12 PM
02/23/21 01:12 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.

Not a single person posted that the low walleye numbers are "strictly due to native netting", but it definitely is a factor.

Keith

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: KeithC] #7193344
02/23/21 01:16 PM
02/23/21 01:16 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes

Not a single person posted that the low walleye numbers are "strictly due to native netting", but it definitely is a factor.

Keith

It was the major factor on Red Lake. It was reported that the low walleye numbers were due to over netting. Sure, fishermen played a role, but a small one in comparison.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193366
02/23/21 01:43 PM
02/23/21 01:43 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline OP
trapper
walleye101  Offline OP
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by walleye101
Mille Lacs and Red Lake are an interesting topic on there own but has nothing to do with the proposed change in statewide bag limit. Nor does netting on Mille Lacs have any impact on the rest of the lakes in Minnesota.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: Hornytoad1] #7193369
02/23/21 01:52 PM
02/23/21 01:52 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Bernie, I agree that there are many complicated regulations in our state from one body of water to another. That said, how can there not be? Putting a blanket limit or regulations on all lakes state-wide would be difficult to do when some rely on stocking for walleye presence, some rely on natural production, some are netted (Mille Lacs), some are border waters, etc. There are a lot of variables that come into play when considering what a lake can and can't handle.
I would argue that there is more pressure on fish today than there ever has been. More people are fishing, equipment and technology make it easier to target and catch fish, equipment makes it easier to spend more hours on the lake (sleeper fish houses), etc. etc. How can we do nothing to constrict regulations yet expect fishing to be as good or better than it's been in the past? I don't think there's anything wrong with a 4 fish limit. Heck, I live on Lake of the Woods and when I want to catch fish I go over to Canada. The fishing is much better, the scenery is better, and there are less fisherman. And remember, the limit in Ontario is only 2 walleyes. What's that saying?

Originally Posted by Hornytoad1

The limit on MN,WI boarder water changed from 6 down to 4 in 2020. The change came because the MN&WI dnr surveyed anglers and found a very lopsided majority of anglers from BOTH states wanted the reduction. You don't need biological support when people cried for it. A case of careful what you ask for. You brother anglers across the river may see Wis. dnr do the same one day.

This. Most of these special regulations came from public comment. The last time they lowered the limit on LOW it was instigated by the resorts.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193405
02/23/21 02:32 PM
02/23/21 02:32 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
You're right, Trapper 7. It was netting that seemed to have thrown off the balance in Upper Red in the late 90's. Now after the walleye demise, crappie boom, crappie demise, and walleye boom, they seem to have the numbers figured out. Seeing a success story like Red and then looking at what's been happening on Mille Lacs for so long really has to make a person wonder what's going on? There appears to be much more politics than science happening on Mille Lacs.

Spot on Seven. Lake of the Woods is an interesting study as well. The resort owners could see the writing on the wall with the amount of fishing pressure happening in the last decade or two and understood that they needed to reduce limits. I have to assume that they will adjust those limits again sooner than later with the amount of pressure that LOW gets. Thank goodness for the Canadian side of LOW replenishing our side of the lake or I think the resort industry would have been in a world of hurt long ago. I'm always amazed at the number of houses or boats out on the water on any given day, the amount of fish taken out daily, and the amount of fishing that the lake continues to have. It's truly a walleye factory.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: atrapper] #7193413
02/23/21 02:42 PM
02/23/21 02:42 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Online content
trapper
BernieB.  Online Content
trapper

Northern Minnesota

It's saying that it's even worse in Ontario. Seriously, you can go to a wilderness lake where the walleyes can be caught 100 per day, and hardly anyone else fishes the lake, and you can keep two walleyes. Go eat your two walleyes for shore lunch and you're done. Can't keep any more. You can take two walleyes home. It's crazy and certainly not based on any kind of science or logic.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread