No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193421
02/23/21 02:49 PM
02/23/21 02:49 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
atrapper, you're right on about MilleLacs. It's all politics, not science. I blame the Indians with their netting. But, the DNR's mismanagement of the lake is just as bad.

About 10 years or so ago, I spoke to one of the fisheries managers about how they were managing the lake. He told me not to be surprised if eventually MilleLacs would become a catch & release lake. And that the goal also was to make MilleLacs a trophy lake. I feel that's still the DNR's goal. I told this same person that resorts will be hurting financially if they go through with this plan. His comment was, 'We know there are going to be casualties."

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193422
02/23/21 02:50 PM
02/23/21 02:50 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
I understand what you're saying. It's true that the Ontario two fish limit can't be based on science. But it's been working for them for quite a while. My point is that during years with open borders, fisherman flock to Ontario to enjoy some of the best fishing in the world even though the walleye limit is only two fish. Based on this, I don't buy the argument that MN needs to keep a higher bag limit to encourage out of state tourist.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193427
02/23/21 02:56 PM
02/23/21 02:56 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Maybe our DNR could take some lessons from the Dakotas DNR. Take Devil's Lake as an example. A friend of mine doesn't even buy a MN fishing license. He does all his fishing in Devil's Lake with his wife. Limit is 5 per person, any size. He and his wife go for a weekend. They come home with their possession limit of 10 each almost whenever they go. They've been doing this for about 20 years according to him.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: Trapper7] #7193442
02/23/21 03:07 PM
02/23/21 03:07 PM
ND
grumley701 Offline
trapper
grumley701  Offline
trapper

ND
Originally Posted by Trapper7
Maybe our DNR could take some lessons from the Dakotas DNR. Take Devil's Lake as an example. A friend of mine doesn't even buy a MN fishing license. He does all his fishing in Devil's Lake with his wife. Limit is 5 per person, any size. He and his wife go for a weekend. They come home with their possession limit of 10 each almost whenever they go. They've been doing this for about 20 years according to him.

How does that work with your possession limit being your freezer limit, do you think if the MNDNR searched his freezer he be in hot water? The idea that your daily possession limit is your freezer limit is ridiculous too me.

Last edited by grumley701; 02/23/21 03:16 PM.

Pure Blood
Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193460
02/23/21 03:25 PM
02/23/21 03:25 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
Interesting information about Mille Lacs, Trapper 7. I have a hard time understanding why the DNR would feel such an obligation to mess with a lake like Mille Lacs. It certainly has appeared to have turned into a trophy small mouth, muskie, and to an extent walleye lake. Maybe they feel that would appeal to a different crowd? I feel sorry for the resort owners and even cabin owners in that area. They've sure been jerked around for a long time with few answers and a lot of unknowns about the future of the lake.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: grumley701] #7193466
02/23/21 03:28 PM
02/23/21 03:28 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
Originally Posted by grumley701
Originally Posted by Trapper7

How does that work with your possession limit being your freezer limit, do you think if the MNDNR searched his freezer he be in hot water? The idea that your daily possession limit is your freezer limit is ridiculous too me.

I've often wondered about that too, Grumley. No different with waterfowl, etc. that may cross state lines. How would the DNR truly know where they came from? My guess is that they would do some digging to find trip dates, hotels/resorts you stayed at, and the whole jazz to figure out if the game came from out of state or not. In the end they really wouldn't have any way of truly knowing though.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193470
02/23/21 03:30 PM
02/23/21 03:30 PM
ND
grumley701 Offline
trapper
grumley701  Offline
trapper

ND
Hey, maybe if you are in possession of a ND fishing license you don't have a freezer limit in MN?? crazy

Pure Blood
Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: atrapper] #7193475
02/23/21 03:38 PM
02/23/21 03:38 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by atrapper
Interesting information about Mille Lacs, Trapper 7. I have a hard time understanding why the DNR would feel such an obligation to mess with a lake like Mille Lacs. It certainly has appeared to have turned into a trophy small mouth, muskie, and to an extent walleye lake. Maybe they feel that would appeal to a different crowd? I feel sorry for the resort owners and even cabin owners in that area. They've sure been jerked around for a long time with few answers and a lot of unknowns about the future of the lake.

You forgot to mention the northern pike as a trophy. That seems to be the case for this species as well since the protected slot is 30-40 inches and one over 40 inches.

When we first bought our place on the lake, we bought it for the great perch fishing the lake had. With the DNR's protection for the large predators, the perch population is very low. Not many perch grow to be large enough to make for a sizable harvest.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193496
02/23/21 03:53 PM
02/23/21 03:53 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
I can imagine the DNR looked at the lake's forage base in perch, ciscoes, suckers, and smaller walleyes and saw the potential it had for growing big esox. It's become an experimental lake. To the chagrin of some and jubilation of others. I still just fail to see then why the DNR is so reluctant to open up the walleye fishery more. Is the main clientele on the lake still walleye fisherman or has it transitioned into mostly musky, bass, and pike fisherman?

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193534
02/23/21 04:32 PM
02/23/21 04:32 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Mille Lacs is one of the most amazing natural walleye factories of all time. If the DNR can screw that up, they can screw up anything. They may not be to blame for the smallmouth explosion, but they are to blame for not reacting to it fast enough. The muskie fishery has run its course and is a shadow of what it was 10-15 years ago.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193621
02/23/21 05:48 PM
02/23/21 05:48 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
Bernie, what's your opinion on the DNR's intentions for Mille Lacs walleyes? Did they mess with it to intentionally make the lake a grand fishery for other species or did they have good intentions that went wrong for walleyes? Or is the walleye population as good as ever and politics are hand-cuffing what they can do for regulations? I've fished the lake once, I know very little about it.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193629
02/23/21 05:55 PM
02/23/21 05:55 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
With all the hunting and fishing rule changes, it's looking like they are making it more difficult for a person to harvest his own food. Pretty soon it will all have to be bought and all game will be owned by the government only.

No Jab.
Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: atrapper] #7193663
02/23/21 06:22 PM
02/23/21 06:22 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
You're right, Trapper 7. It was netting that seemed to have thrown off the balance in Upper Red in the late 90's. Now after the walleye demise, crappie boom, crappie demise, and walleye boom, they seem to have the numbers figured out. Seeing a success story like Red and then looking at what's been happening on Mille Lacs for so long really has to make a person wonder what's going on? There appears to be much more politics than science happening on Mille Lacs.

Spot on Seven. Lake of the Woods is an interesting study as well. The resort owners could see the writing on the wall with the amount of fishing pressure happening in the last decade or two and understood that they needed to reduce limits. I have to assume that they will adjust those limits again sooner than later with the amount of pressure that LOW gets. Thank goodness for the Canadian side of LOW replenishing our side of the lake or I think the resort industry would have been in a world of hurt long ago. I'm always amazed at the number of houses or boats out on the water on any given day, the amount of fish taken out daily, and the amount of fishing that the lake continues to have. It's truly a walleye factory.

If the resort owners could see.tje writing on the wall maybe they should look in the mirror instead of on the wall.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: Steven 49er] #7193693
02/23/21 07:03 PM
02/23/21 07:03 PM
minnesota
M
mnsota Offline
trapper
mnsota  Offline
trapper
M

minnesota
Originally Posted by Steven 49er
You're right, Trapper 7. It was netting that seemed to have thrown off the balance in Upper Red in the late 90's. Now after the walleye demise, crappie boom, crappie demise, and walleye boom, they seem to have the numbers figured out. Seeing a success story like Red and then looking at what's been happening on Mille Lacs for so long really has to make a person wonder what's going on? There appears to be much more politics than science happening on Mille Lacs.

Spot on Seven. Lake of the Woods is an interesting study as well. The resort owners could see the writing on the wall with the amount of fishing pressure happening in the last decade or two and understood that they needed to reduce limits. I have to assume that they will adjust those limits again sooner than later with the amount of pressure that LOW gets. Thank goodness for the Canadian side of LOW replenishing our side of the lake or I think the resort industry would have been in a world of hurt long ago. I'm always amazed at the number of houses or boats out on the water on any given day, the amount of fish taken out daily, and the amount of fishing that the lake continues to have. It's truly a walleye factory.

If the resort owners could see.tje writing on the wall maybe they should look in the mirror instead of on the wall.

That's a bingo!,...I think it's better now,.at least hope so.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193732
02/23/21 07:58 PM
02/23/21 07:58 PM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
This is an interesting read. As an avid walleye and pike fisherman who fishes a variety of different water bodies with varying regulations and varying walleye and pike opportunities, I don’t know the answer. I know keeping everybody happy is a real difficulty. Personally I’d rather catch more and bigger fish and be able keep less to eat but I realize that’s just my preference.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193758
02/23/21 08:29 PM
02/23/21 08:29 PM
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
I remember Millacs and the Upper Red in the hey day. Upper Red has been on the mend. Over Harvesting was the reason. MN DNR botched Millacs with there ridiculous regulations. Not based on science. Based on politics. Still lots of walleye fishing in MN. But a 4 limit state wide is not necessary at all.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: stinkypete] #7193850
02/23/21 09:49 PM
02/23/21 09:49 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline OP
trapper
walleye101  Offline OP
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by stinkypete
I remember Millacs and the Upper Red in the hey day. Upper Red has been on the mend. Over Harvesting was the reason. MN DNR botched Millacs with there ridiculous regulations. Not based on science. Based on politics. Still lots of walleye fishing in MN. But a 4 limit state wide is not necessary at all.

Bingo, we have a winner!

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: atrapper] #7193855
02/23/21 09:54 PM
02/23/21 09:54 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline OP
trapper
walleye101  Offline OP
trapper
W

MN

Walleye factory indeed. Walleye are a renewable resource. It is no coincidence that heavily fished walleye populations continue to produce frequent strong year classes to replenish the population. There is no need for a statewide four fish limit.

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193864
02/23/21 09:59 PM
02/23/21 09:59 PM
minnesota
G
gman Offline
trapper
gman  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota

There have been several post on Trapperman showing huge piles of rotting fish left by the natives and a multitude of news articles

Keith-did you even read these articles? Your statement is total BS! All those "piles" are filleted fish. They are not rotting-wasted fish. Total of wasted fish appears to be 23 northerns. Very insignificant

Re: MNDNR Walleye bag limit [Re: walleye101] #7193873
02/23/21 10:12 PM
02/23/21 10:12 PM
minnesota
G
gman Offline
trapper
gman  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
I've had a place on the lake for over 20 years. He's not bsing, just telling it like it is. There have been articles with pictures showing piles of non-target fish dumped in the woods. These Indians are the worst conservationists out there. They net in the spawning beds while the fish are spawning!
One day while out jet skiing my wife and daughter came across an Indian gill net that obviously hadn't been checked recently. There were about 15 dead, rotted walleyes, a couple were still alive, 2 loons, a duck, and a few other species of fish. I called a conservation officer and took him out to where the nets were. He took several photos and pulled the net on shore. Nothing ever came of that. Nothing in the paper, no comment from the DNR. They basically covered it up. I wouldn't be surprised if the CO was reprimanded for taking

T7 Could you show me those articles. Also do you remember the name of the CO you talked about? And how did you know it was a band net?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread