No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Pike River] #7194819
02/24/21 06:44 PM
02/24/21 06:44 PM
Northern WI
L
Line Jumper Offline
trapper
Line Jumper  Offline
trapper
L

Northern WI
And if you're over 80 you can use an airplane!

Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Pike River] #7194881
02/24/21 07:39 PM
02/24/21 07:39 PM
Wisconsin
Scott__aR Offline
trapper
Scott__aR  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Imo I don't want hounds running around chasing wolves while I'm out deer hunting. Not saying wolves can't be hunted or trapped during the deer firearm season like coyotes, just not with dogs.

A second concern as a trapper ... last thing I want is to catch someone's hunting hound in a coyote or larger wolf foot trap. As trappers we have a large PR concern with the general public as it relates to domestic animals now. Imagine how that goes went hunting dogs get the scent at a trapper' wolf set and steps in a 'wolfer' trap. Education is a great thing and has gone a long way; but getting a dog out of a wolf trap which many need setter isn't something we can expect the general public to accomplish. Much easier to release a dog from a CR as allowed during late season trapping. I don't know if there were any issues this season in that regard, or what the ratio of hound hunters to trappers was; but it's something that I think needs consideration going forward.

Two separate wolf seasons is not the worst idea. Seasons that manage the resource and equalize the opportunities between the 'take' methods based on good regional statistics in addition to not interfering with other sporting opportunities available to all Wisconsin sportspersons.

Last edited by Scott__aR; 02/24/21 07:43 PM. Reason: Spellings

Megapredator ... top of the food chain!
Member of WTA
Member of MTPCA
Member of NTA
Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Pike River] #7194905
02/24/21 07:58 PM
02/24/21 07:58 PM
Northern WI
L
Line Jumper Offline
trapper
Line Jumper  Offline
trapper
L

Northern WI
I forgot about deer hunting, how about separate tags and each gets a month, Dec or Jan alternating each year. Just brainstorming here.

Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Scott__aR] #7194907
02/24/21 08:00 PM
02/24/21 08:00 PM
Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Hodagtrapper Offline
Muskrat Master
Hodagtrapper  Offline
Muskrat Master

Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Originally Posted by Scott__aR
Imo I don't want hounds running around chasing wolves while I'm out deer hunting. Not saying wolves can't be hunted or trapped during the deer firearm season like coyotes, just not with dogs.

A second concern as a trapper ... last thing I want is to catch someone's hunting hound in a coyote or larger wolf foot trap. As trappers we have a large PR concern with the general public as it relates to domestic animals now. Imagine how that goes went hunting dogs get the scent at a trapper' wolf set and steps in a 'wolfer' trap. Education is a great thing and has gone a long way; but getting a dog out of a wolf trap which many need setter isn't something we can expect the general public to accomplish. Much easier to release a dog from a CR as allowed during late season trapping. I don't know if there were any issues this season in that regard, or what the ratio of hound hunters to trappers was; but it's something that I think needs consideration going forward.

Two separate wolf seasons is not the worst idea. Seasons that manage the resource and equalize the opportunities between the 'take' methods based on good regional statistics in addition to not interfering with other sporting opportunities available to all Wisconsin sportspersons.

Agree with your thinking.

Chris

>>In God we trust<<
Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: corky] #7194912
02/24/21 08:04 PM
02/24/21 08:04 PM
Central Wisconsin
C
cwtrapper Offline
trapper
cwtrapper  Offline
trapper
C

Central Wisconsin
Originally Posted by corky
This season was an anomaly. Usually trappers are at an advantage or at least equal footing because in November there is usually little or no tracking snow so houndsmen end up chasing bears, coons and bobcats instead of wolves. This year with deep fresh snow due to the late opening the hound guys had an advantage and made the most of it. More power to them. Let's not let jealousy due to an abnormal season lead to infighting. We've got enough enemies without turning on each other. I'm just happy there are fewer wolves.

Best post on the whole thread. Yes the hound hunters had an advantage this season. They've been losing dogs to wolves for years. Good time for a little pay back! As far as length of season. I don't believe it will ever run very long. We had 3 kill seasons in the past. I drew a tag for the second one. This zone closed in 3 days that year. If I remember correctly it opened in October that year. If you want to trap a wolf. You had better be right on them. You need to be in their core area. Not on the outer edges. Best do your homework. I live in zone 5. Wolves are increasing more every year. Have them on my bear baits regularly. Most at one time was 11. Had a hunter video 3 on a stand he was on for 15 minutes. They need to up the quota tremendously. There population estimates are way low in my opinion. To fill the quota in a few days should tell you that.

Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Scott__aR] #7194915
02/24/21 08:08 PM
02/24/21 08:08 PM
Taylor county, Wisconsin
T
Twisted metal Offline
trapper
Twisted metal  Offline
trapper
T

Taylor county, Wisconsin

I have caught hounds in my traps nearly a dozen times over the past few years with the some of the hunters actually calling to tell me tell me about it so I didn’t think someone stole my catch. Most dog hunters around me are good people and I support them even when a few hounds mess up my sets or day in the deer stand.

Life member NRA
Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: The Beav] #7194921
02/24/21 08:12 PM
02/24/21 08:12 PM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
Originally Posted by The Beav
Maybe just maybe they could split the permits between the dog hunters and the trappers. I think they do that In Michigan for the bobcat harvest.

That's what they do in PA with trapping season first then hunting season after. If u don't score trapping u can let the dogs loose later!!!

Last edited by GROUSEWIT; 02/24/21 08:16 PM.

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Twisted metal] #7194928
02/24/21 08:17 PM
02/24/21 08:17 PM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
Originally Posted by Twisted metal

I have caught hounds in my traps nearly a dozen times over the past few years with the some of the hunters actually calling to tell me tell me about it so I didn’t think someone stole my catch. Most dog hunters around me are good people and I support them even when a few hounds mess up my sets or day in the deer stand.

X2

Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Scott__aR] #7194944
02/24/21 08:24 PM
02/24/21 08:24 PM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA

Two separate wolf seasons is not the worst idea. Seasons that manage the resource and equalize the opportunities between the 'take' methods based on good regional statistics in addition to not interfering with other sporting opportunities available to all Wisconsin sportspersons.[/quote

All the ones I caught were released by their owners. They all had tracking collars on! All I had to do was remake set! Dogs don't usually fight a trap and don't injure their foot any.

Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Pike River] #7194965
02/24/21 08:56 PM
02/24/21 08:56 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
4:00 p.m.-182

Moosetrot

Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Pike River] #7194979
02/24/21 09:10 PM
02/24/21 09:10 PM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Autumn hunting and trapping of wolves is problematic. This naturally lessens as winter wears on.
Conflict on use of the land (hounds running through while hunters are on deer stands, catching bird dogs, etc) and the resulting PR need to be thoughtfully addressed.

We need all the support we can get on wolf seasons.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Pike River] #7195011
02/24/21 09:34 PM
02/24/21 09:34 PM
Wisconsin
8117 Steve R Offline
trapper
8117 Steve R  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
IMO we don't need wolfer sized traps. I believe coyote sized trap hold our wolves fine. And they can be made dog friendly.

Steve
WTA
NRA
Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: WIMarshRAT] #7195028
02/24/21 09:45 PM
02/24/21 09:45 PM
backwoods N. Wi.
Fox Claw Offline
trapper
Fox Claw  Offline
trapper

backwoods N. Wi.
Originally Posted by WIMarshRAT
Originally Posted by The Beav
I will be the same cluster next year right out of the starting gate. The only way to lengthen the season Is to have a higher quota. And I don't see that happening.

Why? The Board went with a conservative quota this year and said as much.

The fact that the board has ordered the department to have plan done and ready to bring before them before next season shows just how serious they are. Department is going to have hard time justifying keeping wolves at same levels when they refused to hold a season. Its going to be contentious.

If I was a Board member(thankfully I am not), I would be quick to remind the department the last time they showed any true desire to manage wolves responsibly we had about 650 wolves on landscape based on their modeling. We are nearly double now which puts tremendous pressure on going down. That means we need a quota of at least 40% for consecutive years to slightly reduce population. 40% of 1200 puts us at a quota of nearly 500 wolves. I am not convinced that 500 will get us to 40%--especially if we can transfer some of the waste out of the system.

I think we can get that if folks are ready to get to work.

Did you listen in to today's NRB meeting? Good stuff. Keith Warnke appeared before the board and they flat out told him that the current management plan calls for a goal of 350 and their plan for fall harvest quota's best adhere to that or the NRB will make adjustments. They also voiced that the kill over the last 3 days does not support the population model the DNR has in place. That Warnke is like a robot, no personality, and never seems to know the answer when the NRB asks a question about what he's in charge of. Anyway, it was nice to see that today. Next board meeting in in two months and NRB told Warnke they want all committees in place and a schedule for meetings nailed down by then.

Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Moosetrot] #7195030
02/24/21 09:46 PM
02/24/21 09:46 PM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
Originally Posted by Moosetrot
4:00 p.m.-182

Moosetrot

Love it

Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Pike River] #7195087
02/24/21 10:37 PM
02/24/21 10:37 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Has anyone heard from AJE? If there was one guy that was pumped up about this he was. I hope he drew a permit and got one!!!!!!

Moosetrot

Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Fox Claw] #7195106
02/24/21 10:59 PM
02/24/21 10:59 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI

[/quote]
Did you listen in to today's NRB meeting? Good stuff. Keith Warnke appeared before the board and they flat out told him that the current management plan calls for a goal of 350 and their plan for fall harvest quota's best adhere to that or the NRB will make adjustments. They also voiced that the kill over the last 3 days does not support the population model the DNR has in place. That Warnke is like a robot, no personality, and never seems to know the answer when the NRB asks a question about what he's in charge of. Anyway, it was nice to see that today. Next board meeting in in two months and NRB told Warnke they want all committees in place and a schedule for meetings nailed down by then.[/quote]

Was this meeting recorded? I did not have the chance to hear it and I’d love to listen to it.

Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Pike River] #7195115
02/24/21 11:15 PM
02/24/21 11:15 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
The north woods are already full of trappers trapping bobcats and coyotes with wolf sized traps. How big of a problem has It been? Let's not make this a bigger deal then It Is.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Pike River] #7195139
02/24/21 11:43 PM
02/24/21 11:43 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin

Was this meeting recorded? I did not have the chance to hear it and I’d love to listen to it.[/quote]

You can listen and watch a recording of the meeting in the NRB area of the DNR website. I just did and they seemed to hold Warnke's feet to the fire about the management goal of 350 and how the DNR is going to achieve it. It is toward the end of the meeting.

Moosetrot

Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: Pike River] #7195141
02/24/21 11:44 PM
02/24/21 11:44 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Wisconsin 2021 Wolf Season Progress [Re: WIMarshRAT] #7195148
02/24/21 11:47 PM
02/24/21 11:47 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely

The wolf discussion starts at the 3 hour and 51 minute mark.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread