No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Best lures and lakes ?? BWCA [Re: 330 Belisle] #7196605
02/26/21 10:20 AM
02/26/21 10:20 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by 330 Belisle
Texas rigged Beaver baits, Dirty Jig jigs, weightless zoom super flukes, Pepper baits Spinner baits etc drop shots etc

Have You been to The BWCA?

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Best lures and lakes ?? BWCA [Re: shanemoss] #7196609
02/26/21 10:22 AM
02/26/21 10:22 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by shanemoss
When are you going? My favorite changes every time I go. Was on Stuart and iron last spring and walleye hit anything you cast. I caught some on flies in 8 fow. Caught some nice pike as well. In the summer, I went to big moose and stayed a week hammering smallmouth with some giants. Best they hit that week was rattle traps in dull colors. I remove the hooks, run the line through the eye and thru the rear hook eye and tie on the hook. It lets the bait slide up the line when they jump. Helps with hook throws, don’t tear up their face or mouth, and much easier and safer to release.

Fall, I went in on baker #39 and went all the way up to north temperance. Couldnt buy a bite till south temperance. It was still slow but I caught one good walleye, and the rest were small. I tried trolling, jigging, drifting, bottom fishing, you name it. Very tough. Seen four moose starting at Peterson and on north.

It was cold and rainy that week in October so probably slower everywhere. I couldn’t go till June first this year but I’m going back to Stuart for a couple days. I have a pma permit starting the third so I’m gonna camp on sterling for 3 days and then who knows. I may go east toward bear trap or backtrack to Stuart and go Northrop iron. I have 10 days. Seriously, I’ve caught fish on literally everytng. Just a matter of finding them. A lot of those lakes are featureless. Like a big bathtub. I like to troll crank baits to find fish and then I just keep drifting over that spot jigging. You may have to add weight to get trolled baits deep enough.

The later in he year, the deeper they are. I want to take some live bait but that trip to the Stuart river is a bear. Not to mention how tough it could be in the pma. Every time I go in summer, the flies have been brutal. I try to camp on a point where there’s wind in my face and it seemed to help. I also carry a screen house to sleep in. Last summer I had it draped over my boat while I drifted. Well worth 15 bucks and weighs almost nothing. I want to target Lakers and go soon after ice out. I been told they can be found in shallow till it starts warming up.

What screen house are you referring to?

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Best lures and lakes ?? BWCA [Re: 330-Trapper] #7197160
02/26/21 06:57 PM
02/26/21 06:57 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP

trapper

Minnesota
Shanemoss, what bug tent are you using? And where'd you get it?

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Best lures and lakes ?? BWCA [Re: 330-Trapper] #7197179
02/26/21 07:14 PM
02/26/21 07:14 PM
Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
S
shanemoss Offline
trapper
shanemoss  Offline
trapper
S

Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
[Linked Image]

They sell smaller ones also.

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
Re: Best lures and lakes ?? BWCA [Re: 330-Trapper] #7197220
02/26/21 07:45 PM
02/26/21 07:45 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP

trapper

Minnesota
So you just drape it over your sleeping bag too?

Thanks A lot !!

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Best lures and lakes ?? BWCA [Re: 330-Trapper] #7197508
02/26/21 10:30 PM
02/26/21 10:30 PM
Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
S
shanemoss Offline
trapper
shanemoss  Offline
trapper
S

Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
No, I use a hammock with a net on it already, or my single backpacking tent/bivy. I hang it near the fire and keep my chair and gear in it. Depends on where I’m at, but sometimes I hang it near the water so I can chill out and watch my poles. I carry one on every trip I take and just keep one in all my packs. Skeeters don’t bother me. I only actually use it when the flies are out bad. Last summer on big moose lake, black flies were horrible. I threw that thing over us in the canoe and held it up and open with fishing poles and a limb from shore. Sure made it peaceful drifting that big lake.

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
Re: Best lures and lakes ?? BWCA [Re: 330-Trapper] #7197547
02/26/21 11:12 PM
02/26/21 11:12 PM
minnesota
M
mnsota Offline
trapper
mnsota  Offline
trapper
M

minnesota
It was sure busy this past year. My boy and I went through Kawishwa and the lady lake chain. The guy working said it was the busiest he had ever seen it. Probably due to the china virus.
That was a tough route for this codger,.been awhile,packed way to much!
Have you thought about the Mcfarland to pine and caribou. Leeches under a slip bobber,..floating rapalas with small rubber core,.a few shad raps of various sizes,.good for canoeing and casting, Good luck

Re: Best lures and lakes ?? BWCA [Re: 330-Trapper] #7197614
02/27/21 12:32 AM
02/27/21 12:32 AM
Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
S
shanemoss Offline
trapper
shanemoss  Offline
trapper
S

Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
It was the busiest I’ve seen it. The rangers said the same and were (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) about all the law breakers trashing things up and chopping trees down. I chose Stuart lake because of how tough it can be to reach. 1-1/2 mile portage from the parking lot deters some folks and then I think there are 7 more portages that ain’t much fun. I stayed 3 days with only two campers before I headed to iron lake. Seen a few up there as well. I stayed at Stuart again on my way out and I got the last available site right at dark.

That’s the reason I reserved a pma permit. Only one permit at a time will assure solitude if you get in far enough to hold back day trippers. Where I’m going looks like a tough go after the first lake where the no trail portage begins. According to dnr, should be tons of walleye and all mine for four days until my pma permit expires and I have to get out and back to the regular bwca. After reading the above post it reminded me of shad raps. Deep diving shad raps were killer fishing from shore. I find a long shore or beach and beach my canoe and walk the shore slinging shad raps. I caught some of the biggest perch I ever caught doing that. Pike love them to. Only color shad raps I own are fire tiger so I can’t advise any other colors than that. I fish spoons a lot and I can say without a doubt....for me anyway....that the red and white daredevil will get more hits than fire tiger or any other colors I’ve used.

Re: Best lures and lakes ?? BWCA [Re: shanemoss] #7200782
03/01/21 01:24 PM
03/01/21 01:24 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by shanemoss
When are you going? My favorite changes every time I go. Was on Stuart and iron last spring and walleye hit anything you cast. I caught some on flies in 8 fow. Caught some nice pike as well. In the summer, I went to big moose and stayed a week hammering smallmouth with some giants. Best they hit that week was rattle traps in dull colors. I remove the hooks, run the line through the eye and thru the rear hook eye and tie on the hook. It lets the bait slide up the line when they jump. Helps with hook throws, don’t tear up their face or mouth, and much easier and safer to release.

Fall, I went in on baker #39 and went all the way up to north temperance. Couldnt buy a bite till south temperance. It was still slow but I caught one good walleye, and the rest were small. I tried trolling, jigging, drifting, bottom fishing, you name it. Very tough. Seen four moose starting at Peterson and on north.

It was cold and rainy that week in October so probably slower everywhere. I couldn’t go till June first this year but I’m going back to Stuart for a couple days. I have a pma permit starting the third so I’m gonna camp on sterling for 3 days and then who knows. I may go east toward bear trap or backtrack to Stuart and go Northrop iron. I have 10 days. Seriously, I’ve caught fish on literally everytng. Just a matter of finding them. A lot of those lakes are featureless. Like a big bathtub. I like to troll crank baits to find fish and then I just keep drifting over that spot jigging. You may have to add weight to get trolled baits deep enough.

The later in he year, the deeper they are. I want to take some live bait but that trip to the Stuart river is a bear. Not to mention how tough it could be in the pma. Every time I go in summer, the flies have been brutal. I try to camp on a point where there’s wind in my face and it seemed to help. I also carry a screen house to sleep in. Last summer I had it draped over my boat while I drifted. Well worth 15 bucks and weighs almost nothing. I want to target Lakers and go soon after ice out. I been told they can be found in shallow till it starts warming up.

[Linked Image]

Would you recommend the Dive to lures? DT10', DT16' etc... right now I have all DT 4's

Last edited by 330-Trapper; 03/01/21 01:32 PM.

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Best lures and lakes ?? BWCA [Re: 330-Trapper] #7201215
03/01/21 08:20 PM
03/01/21 08:20 PM
Wisconsin
D
Dirk Offline
trapper
Dirk  Offline
trapper
D

Wisconsin
Haven't been in since 2013 and have been to basswood 10+ times on a motor boat permit, used jigs and leeches or straight hook and split shot with leech, never used artificial baitt. Time of year I've been in was memorial weekend to late September, some trips we caught 100 walleyes a day, some trips we had to grind it out for a meal. Caught sumo small jaws and 40" northerns also. Once they went to a lottery for permits for that entry point, I quit going

Re: Best lures and lakes ?? BWCA [Re: 330-Trapper] #7201302
03/01/21 08:57 PM
03/01/21 08:57 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Berkley power bait, caught about anything we fished for.

Re: Best lures and lakes ?? BWCA [Re: 330-Trapper] #7201511
03/02/21 12:13 AM
03/02/21 12:13 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Netting as stated above is a must, depending on time of year. You'll wish for mosquitos if you get into an area with black flies (very common in August in the BWCA). If you just rely on spray, you may be sorry. Just a simple head net can save you some misery. And netting weights nothing.

Re: Best lures and lakes ?? BWCA [Re: 330-Trapper] #7201707
03/02/21 09:54 AM
03/02/21 09:54 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP

trapper

Minnesota
I bought a couple head nets^^^

We went in August last year.... zero bugs of any kind. We were blessed

This year its June 8 going in