No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7198407
02/27/21 06:35 PM
02/27/21 06:35 PM
South Dakota
H
Hydropillar Offline
trapper
Hydropillar  Offline
trapper
H

South Dakota
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The only place you find free cheese is in a mousetrap !
Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7198415
02/27/21 06:41 PM
South Dakota
H
Hydropillar Offline
trapper
Hydropillar  Offline
trapper
H

South Dakota
we started about 10 am... finished at 5 30 ... set the main beam and roof on house... cant remember how many sq ft...
years ago there was a young ma with family... he worked for local utility co .. reading meters... had 2 of these houses on his rout and couldnt believe how cheap the energy bill was.... we built him a 2 story hous and stacked all panels and roof in 2 days.... thhouse in pictures contractor set walls with telehandler... so all i did was beams and roof panels.... its like playing leggos.... hand down if i get to build this is the way ill go !!

Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7198419
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Offline
trapper
Rally  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
You might want to check out BMO (Building Material Outlet) near 694 and 55 . Windows, flooring, doors, etc. Big savings on end run and slight damaged materials from manufactures. They have auctions scheduled certain times of the year where you can buy whole pallets of products just to clear their warehouse, and retail sales most days.

Keep your boots dry
Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: mike mason] #7198423
02/27/21 06:45 PM
02/27/21 06:45 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline OP
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline OP
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by forestman3
What kind of heat are you looking at?

Wood stove in the basement for sure. One thing that may help with basement cost is nothing will have to get hauled off site, I can use all the dirt/sand. I can probably almost dig the basement myself, the cost comes in in regard to concrete which I am rather unfamiliar with.

Originally Posted by mike mason
Do you have access to pine, spruce or fir trees? You can cut your lumber and have a grader grade stamp to meet bldg. code. That will save you tons of $$.

I do but not in large quantities, do you know if you can substitute other softwoods? I get a lot of popular/cottonwood/silver maple

Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Hydropillar] #7198427
02/27/21 06:46 PM
02/27/21 06:46 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Hydropillar
we started about 10 am... finished at 5 30 ... set the main beam and roof on house... cant remember how many sq ft...
years ago there was a young ma with family... he worked for local utility co .. reading meters... had 2 of these houses on his rout and couldnt believe how cheap the energy bill was.... we built him a 2 story hous and stacked all panels and roof in 2 days.... thhouse in pictures contractor set walls with telehandler... so all i did was beams and roof panels.... its like playing leggos.... hand down if i get to build this is the way ill go !!

Is that the ones you see on the news scattered all over the prairie after a big windstorm?

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Rally] #7198441
02/27/21 06:52 PM
MN
D
trapper
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by Rally
You might want to check out BMO (Building Material Outlet) near 694 and 55 . Windows, flooring, doors, etc. Big savings on end run and slight damaged materials from manufactures. They have auctions scheduled certain times of the year where you can buy whole pallets of products just to clear their warehouse, and retail sales most days.

Thank you, never heard of that place but ill check it out. My friends do remodels/new construction and the nice stuff that gets tossed is ridiculous, half the reason I want to build myself rather than buy a modular is because of the cheap prices you can find on scratch and dent or used appliances etc.

I'm pretty interested in those houses Hydro, I'll have to research them deeper as time allows, do you know the cost per square foot roughly?

Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Boco] #7198442
South Dakota
H
Hydropillar Offline
trapper
Hydropillar  Offline
trapper
H

South Dakota
Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by Hydropillar

Is that the ones you see on the news scattered all over the prairie after a big windstorm?

not at all there solid as a rock !! do some research they have outstood many other structures in tornadoes.. hurricanes ect.. im not a salesman for co ,,, just life long contractor .. and i think the quality of these homes are the best !!

Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7198447
02/27/21 06:57 PM
02/27/21 06:57 PM
South Dakota
H
Hydropillar Offline
trapper
Hydropillar  Offline
trapper
H

South Dakota
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Originally Posted by Rally

Thank you, never heard of that place but ill check it out. My friends do remodels/new construction and the nice stuff that gets tossed is ridiculous, half the reason I want to build myself rather than buy a modular is because of the cheap prices you can find on scratch and dent or used appliances etc.

I'm pretty interested in those houses Hydro, I'll have to research them deeper as time allows, do you know the cost per square foot roughly?

i realy dont ... i know a cpl years ago i priced panels and roof for 30 x 50 and it was around 40 g.... call em up entercept

Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7198453
02/27/21 07:00 PM
02/27/21 07:00 PM
South Dakota
H
Hydropillar Offline
trapper
Hydropillar  Offline
trapper
H

South Dakota
The only negative thing to these houses i see is you need to maintain a air exchanger cause they are so air tight... i have talked to many many people that we put these up for and they love them !!

Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7198517
02/27/21 08:04 PM
02/27/21 08:04 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Poplar, silver maple and cottonwood can't be grade stamped. Mill up what pine you have and sticker the lumber. I logged my white pine, sold the butt logs and sawed the upper logs into lumber. Had 4000bf sticker up for board/batten siding. I did my house piece meal, well and septic then foundation. Followed up with framing, roof and windows/doors to make it weather tight. The rest fell into place.

Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Hydropillar] #7198527
02/27/21 08:12 PM
02/27/21 08:12 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
New housing starts are dropping due to very high construction costs and lumber costs. Existing home sales are going like hot cakes and many are selling for over the asking price. I would save my money now and plan for the future. If you have builders you know and can do a lot yourself timing is not as critical. Renting is an option also when housing costs go very high. If housing is spiking now, wait a year when the economy gets rolling better. May be several years of higher housing and construction costs. With a lot of workers now working from home and maybe for a long time in the future, living in more expensive areas, commuting etc. not an issue more monies for rural housing and we see that all over right now.

Bryce

Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7198545
02/27/21 08:21 PM
02/27/21 08:21 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
ICF's. No basement ,sprawling ranch, build into the hillside if possible, infloor heat. you wont need any wood untill you get to the trusses.

Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7198554
02/27/21 08:28 PM
02/27/21 08:28 PM
Iowa
O
ou812 Offline
trapper
ou812  Offline
trapper
O

Iowa
Just bought 5 acres and wife is planning on a new house. One contractor told us $200-$250 a sq ft. Not including basement, well or septic system. I told my wife cargo containers are cheap...she didn't think that was funny.

Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Diggerman] #7198561
02/27/21 08:33 PM
02/27/21 08:33 PM
MN
D
trapper
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by Diggerman
ICF's. No basement ,sprawling ranch, build into the hillside if possible, infloor heat. you wont need any wood untill you get to the trusses.

Will be built into a hillside 100% for sure though I really prefer to have a basement. I am going to call the county this week and ask what the minimum size is, I may try and do the well/septic this year and put up a inexpensive one bedroom cabin and call it good enough for now, maybe something that could be converted into a garage in the future.

I appreciate the insights so far, a small single level built into the hillside made out of those foam panels has some major appeal at the moment and seems real affordable if kept small.

Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: ou812] #7198562
02/27/21 08:34 PM
02/27/21 08:34 PM
MN
D
trapper
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by ou812
Just bought 5 acres and wife is planning on a new house. One contractor told us $200-$250 a sq ft. Not including basement, well or septic system. I told my wife cargo containers are cheap...she didn't think that was funny.

Yikes, so like 400,000+ for a 1500 square foot house? Ouch.

Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7198570
02/27/21 08:40 PM
02/27/21 08:40 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Look at the Morton type buildings. A friend built one for a house and saved a ton of $$. Draw back was no basement, he did radiant heat in the floor and the place turned out real nice.

Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Wanna Be] #7198575
02/27/21 08:45 PM
02/27/21 08:45 PM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Lumber must be in high demand. I know of a couple of landowners that are about to really make some money. One owner is about to get 75% of what he paid for his land and the houses on it from the timber. Unfortunately a lot of it is hardwoods.

Lumber prices are at all time highs, but timber prices are in the crapper. Lots of southern timber farms in trouble right now. I sure wouldn’t be selling timber right now.

Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7198610
02/27/21 09:14 PM
02/27/21 09:14 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
In my state, you need licensed electricians, heat/air, and plumbing if you obtain homeowners insurance. Septic must be inspected before electricity can be turned own. I once wrote a homeowner policy to a cabinet maker who built most of his new house. Beautiful interior and stonework. When the underwriter called to do a telephone survey, the owner was so proud to tell her he built it all himself, which he didn’t. His application was declined. We had to submit names and license numbers of local tradesmen who did much of the work. Only time that ever happened to me on new construction.

Another policy was issued to a man and wife who soon separated. The man left but kept making the house payments and had some shoddy electrical work done in a bathroom. House burned down and killed his wife. My company had non-renewed his policy about six months earlier on the first policy anniversary.

The moral to this is, don’t shortchange yourself. Do it correctly as if your life depended on it.

Last edited by charles; 02/27/21 09:25 PM.
Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: M.Magis] #7198622
02/27/21 09:23 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by M.Magis
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Lumber must be in high demand. I know of a couple of landowners that are about to really make some money. One owner is about to get 75% of what he paid for his land and the houses on it from the timber. Unfortunately a lot of it is hardwoods.

Lumber prices are at all time highs, but timber prices are in the crapper. Lots of southern timber farms in trouble right now. I sure wouldn’t be selling timber right now.

Exactly !!

Mean As Nails
Re: Inexpensive, easy to build House? [Re: charles] #7198623
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by charles
In my state, you need licensed electricians, heat/air, and plumbing if you obtain homeowners insurance. Septic must be inspected before electricity can be turned own. I once wrote a homeowner policy to a cabinet maker who built most of his new house. Beautiful interior and stonework. When the underwriter called to do a telephone survey, the owner was so proud to tell her he built it all himself, which he didn’t. His application was declined. We had to submit names and license numbers of local tradesmen who did much of the work. Only time that ever happened to me on new construction.

Another policy was issued to a man and wife who soon separated. The man left but kept making the house payments and had some shoddy electrical work done in a bathroom. House burned down and killed his wife. My company had non-renewed his policy about six months earlier on the first policy anniversary.

The morale to this is, don’t shortchange yourself. Do it correctly as if your life depended on it.

One of my favorite saying when giving an estimate, "or. for a little bit more, you can do it yourself."

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread