Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Wanna Be] #7188821
02/19/21 01:08 AM
02/19/21 01:08 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
I mostly use waxed dirt to cover the landscape cloth but the few time I have use just grass they worked just fine but then I haven't had to deal with long periods of hard rain either.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Wvpossum] #7188961
02/19/21 09:08 AM
02/19/21 09:08 AM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
For me, steel on my Pipe Dream with grass covering.....wax patty papers in my hole sets with peat moss.

Have I used steel screen on my holes with with peat? Yes.......

I just don't have to.

With the Pipe Dream and grass, I need the stiff backbone of the steel screen to support my material (grass) and provide a perfect, nice, flat, low place to step to work the pipe.

MZ

Eastern Coyotes.......Western Numbers.

Check out Coyote U!

YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/JGwORfXpwOo

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Zagman] #7189024
02/19/21 10:13 AM
02/19/21 10:13 AM
PA
F
Flint Lock Offline
trapper
Flint Lock  Offline
trapper
F

PA
Originally Posted by Zagman
For me, steel on my Pipe Dream with grass covering.....wax patty papers in my hole sets with peat moss.
MZ

Why the difference?

Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Flint Lock] #7189182
02/19/21 12:15 PM
02/19/21 12:15 PM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
What I said above:

With the Pipe Dream and grass, I need the stiff backbone of the steel screen to support my material (grass) and provide a perfect, nice, flat, low place to step to work the pipe.

Zagman

Check out Coyote U!

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Wvpossum] #7189303
02/19/21 02:17 PM
02/19/21 02:17 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Depends. If bare ground I’ll bed them the old fashion way...peat moss and dirt over the top with with polyfil under the pan. That may be overkill, but I want them functioning as long as possible. Most of my sets are in or around grass, so Pipe Dream sets, flat sets, and most scent post sets get the screen and a light covering of grass or leaves. It just works for me. Like I stated, this year has been extremely wet, wetter than normal.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 02/19/21 02:21 PM.
Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Zagman] #7190423
02/20/21 02:14 PM
02/20/21 02:14 PM
PA
F
Flint Lock Offline
trapper
Flint Lock  Offline
trapper
F

PA
What I said above:

Zagman

What I meant was why don't you do the hole sets the same way?

Last edited by Flint Lock; 02/20/21 02:15 PM.
Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Wvpossum] #7190452
02/20/21 02:45 PM
02/20/21 02:45 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
How do you bed a trap In peat moss and have It bedded rock solid..

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Wvpossum] #7190480
02/20/21 03:44 PM
02/20/21 03:44 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I don’t bed a trap in peat. I bed it in dirt and fill inside the trap with peat moss.
As far as using screen at a dirt hole set, if I was to cover in grass then I’d dig my bed different and use screen and grass. The purpose of a dirt hole set for me is the visual attraction. Using dirt on screen doesn’t last for me after rain. It will basically just be a bare screen cover after a decent rain and to me that just stands out and asks to be dug up.

Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Wanna Be] #7190581
02/20/21 06:15 PM
02/20/21 06:15 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Originally Posted by red mt
Straight screen user here spring summer fall and winter. And dogless trap.
With say mb550 or duke 550 type trap you are better off using other types of pan coverings, a coffee filter will work also just to add to stuff used lol.

Why do you think screen would be a bad choice for dogged 550’s? It has seemed to work fine for me, but I might be missing something.

I do think it can be used but it would seem to me the stiff steel screen that keg creek sells imo you pretty much have to perform, maybe not I do not use a mb 550 trap I just slide mine in it lays flat as a pancake In a trap. I also believe preforming steel screen defeats the screen purpose imo.

Kenneth schoening
Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Wvpossum] #7190597
02/20/21 06:31 PM
02/20/21 06:31 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Oh ok, yeah I had to go with screen from No BS. A much lighter screen, but heavy enough to serve its intended purpose. I found that after searching Marty’s site and the screen wasn’t black or recommended for 550’s. These other screens are spot on for my PDS and on top of that they work. But yeah, that thick screen is tough to get formed.

Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Flint Lock] #7194156
02/24/21 07:38 AM
02/24/21 07:38 AM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
Originally Posted by Flint Lock
What I said above:

Zagman

What I meant was why don't you do the hole sets the same way?

If its a hay field I am setting in, then I can do my hole sets the same. BUT, then I know that holes gonna flood and/or fill in with snow, SO, more and more, IF in a hay field, I just make Pipe Sets OR....IF its a "hole" set, perhaps its just two small double poke holes I make with my cable stake driver.

If in a corn field or soy bean field, I just don't like the "look" of a hole set with a grass covering. I can do it, but not ideal. Probably more me than the coyotes that don't like it.....just how I've evolved, I reckon....

MZ

Check out Coyote U!

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Wvpossum] #7195230
02/25/21 02:21 AM
02/25/21 02:21 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
Three years ago, I tried the pipe dream set and failed miserably. Two years ago, every other day it rained. The ground was absolutely saturated. Driving on field roads guaranteed deep ruts or getting stuck so I had to walk in. Setting dirtholes meant bringing dirt in for every set so I opted for the pipe dream set and it worked flawlessly. Last fall, due to a wet opener, I used the pipe dream set with Keg Creek black pan covers I had sitting around for my #3 Montanas. Also used the not so stiff galvanized steel screen produced by John Graham for my 550s. Both provided just enough stiffness to support the grass and catch critters.

Being cheap, I didn’t buy any Keg Creek pan cover replacements and just bought several dozen of John Graham’s covers. When I set my screens they fit over the pans but under the jaws.

While finish sanding some sheet rock plaster a couple years ago, I found sanding screen was almost as thick and stiff as the Keg Creek screen covers. Now I just need to find a source for the quantity I use. Please note: it isn’t metal and I don’t know how well it holds up to moisture. If it makes it thru some experimental sets, I may be buying it for trapping purposes in the future.

Never too old to learn
Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Teacher] #7195286
02/25/21 07:58 AM
02/25/21 07:58 AM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
Originally Posted by Teacher
Three years ago, I tried the pipe dream set and failed miserably. Two years ago, every other day it rained. The ground was absolutely saturated. Driving on field roads guaranteed deep ruts or getting stuck so I had to walk in. Setting dirtholes meant bringing dirt in for every set so I opted for the pipe dream set and it worked flawlessly. Last fall, due to a wet opener, I used the pipe dream set with Keg Creek black pan covers I had sitting around for my #3 Montanas. Also used the not so stiff galvanized steel screen produced by John Graham for my 550s. Both provided just enough stiffness to support the grass and catch critters.

Being cheap, I didn’t buy any Keg Creek pan cover replacements and just bought several dozen of John Graham’s covers. When I set my screens they fit over the pans but under the jaws.

While finish sanding some sheet rock plaster a couple years ago, I found sanding screen was almost as thick and stiff as the Keg Creek screen covers. Now I just need to find a source for the quantity I use. Please note: it isn’t metal and I don’t know how well it holds up to moisture. If it makes it thru some experimental sets, I may be buying it for trapping purposes in the future.

Your story is similar to MANY I've heard.....tried it a few times, no success. Then, one year, incessant rain and try it again, and BINGO. The whole thing came about due to ANNUAL rains during coyote season and forcing me to let the Necessity is the Mother of All Inventions approach kick in.....

Again, I've said this a million times, I was making my T-Bones, Grass Tuft (post set), Wooden Dowel, Double Poke Holes, etc. like this for a LONG LONG time. The Pipe was added last, but gave the set its name. Everyone's hung up on the pipe, but as this thread shows, the steel screen and grass are a big part of it as well.

MZ

Check out Coyote U!

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Wvpossum] #7195292
02/25/21 08:02 AM
02/25/21 08:02 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I always associated the Pipe Dream set with the actual bedding vs anything else. But of course the bedding of the trap is no good without the screen, lol.

Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Zagman] #7195414
02/25/21 10:24 AM
02/25/21 10:24 AM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan

Your story is similar to MANY I've heard.....tried it a few times, no success. Then, one year, incessant rain and try it again, and BINGO. The whole thing came about due to ANNUAL rains during coyote season and forcing me to let the Necessity is the Mother of All Inventions approach kick in.....

Again, I've said this a million times, I was making my T-Bones, Grass Tuft (post set), Wooden Dowel, Double Poke Holes, etc. like this for a LONG LONG time. The Pipe was added last, but gave the set its name. Everyone's hung up on the pipe, but as this thread shows, the steel screen and grass are a big part of it as well.

MZ

Thanks for your help in this thread.

If I were to try this in an area that’s froze nightly, how would I freeze proof it? I usually bed in waxed sand. I am interested in trying this method of bedding.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Wvpossum] #7195478
02/25/21 11:37 AM
02/25/21 11:37 AM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
Frozen ground....I salt the top edge all around the trap jaws where I pinched the sod in against the jaws with my hammer. Seems to work fine......

MZ

Check out Coyote U!

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Zagman] #7195622
02/25/21 01:47 PM
02/25/21 01:47 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Frozen ground....I salt the top edge all around the trap jaws where I pinched the sod in against the jaws with my hammer. Seems to work fine......

MZ

Thank you.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Zagman] #7201078
03/01/21 06:20 PM
03/01/21 06:20 PM
Va
O
Owen156 Offline
trapper
Owen156  Offline
trapper
O

Va

MZ

Mark, its good to see you here on this thread. I started using your pipe several years ago with great success, thanks so much for sharing. We were sloppy wet in Va this year and the pipe really shined. I experimented by putting in a dirt hole and pipe 10 feet apart in lots of locations. On multiple checks after heavy rains the dirt holes were washed out and the pipes held jumping yotes.

On a side note I caught an otter in a soybean field in a pipe set. He was crossing through my field going from pond to pond. Otter season was out and I had to release him which is quite a trick when the mouth is so close to those short legs.. I used a catch pole to hold him and slid my grass clipping bag over his head, which calmed him a bit but didnt do anything for me, but give me a chance to spring the levers and let him out.

Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Owen156] #7202660
03/03/21 07:21 AM
03/03/21 07:21 AM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
You experienced the exact whether that forced me to come up with something to work in that type of weather. In the end, we RARELY have a dry fall and even if its shows NO RAIN or snow for a week or more, I used pipes, as it WILL change. You can count on it!

Thanks!

MZ

Check out Coyote U!

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Wax Paper or Steel Screens [Re: Wvpossum] #7202788
03/03/21 09:51 AM
03/03/21 09:51 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
And we just got another 4.3” yesterday...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91