No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Wildlife control contract #7201352
03/01/21 09:34 PM
03/01/21 09:34 PM
Ohio
O
OhiotrapperJosh Offline OP
trapper
OhiotrapperJosh  Offline OP
trapper
O

Ohio
Hello, I’ve decided to start a wildlife control business in Ohio and I was hoping to find some help on here. I have no idea where to start when it comes to making a legitimate contract. Is there anybody on here that could send me a contract they use for nuisance work. And even a price list for how you charge, per animal, mileage, etc.

Thanks!

Re: Wildlife control contract [Re: OhiotrapperJosh] #7201357
03/01/21 09:36 PM
03/01/21 09:36 PM
The great cage state Colorado
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

The great cage state Colorado

Re: Wildlife control contract [Re: OhiotrapperJosh] #7201487
03/01/21 11:38 PM
03/01/21 11:38 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
What kind of job are you leaving, or do you plan to do both.

Re: Wildlife control contract [Re: OhiotrapperJosh] #7201560
03/02/21 04:44 AM
03/02/21 04:44 AM
West Virginia
S
Sshaffer Offline
trapper
Sshaffer  Offline
trapper
S

West Virginia
I post on here very little and am not even sure how to PM you. So PM me and I will respond with my cell that you may call me. There is waaaaaasy to much info to type. I can help you, but there is no 500 word text or 15 minute phone call that will satisfy what you need to know.
I ran a nuisance wildlife control business for 16 years in Oh. I lived in Oh, but was licensed in WV as well, and moved there after I retired. I retired in 2016. I did it all with my main income coming from trapping moles and bat exclusions (which at times included trapping entire maternity colonies). Lots of money in bats although White Nose Syndrome began devastating bat populations the last 3 or 4 years was in business. I doubt they have/will recover. I had over 800 traps for moles in the ground every year at once.
There of course licensing required and INSURANCE IS A MUST!!!!!!!
I loved it and hated it at the same time. It appears of course that since a person loves trapping that by becoming a nuisance wildlife business operator you can enjoy your passion. There is no comparison! You cannot like fur trapping, remove every mole, bat, beaver etc., but one. They are paying, and if one still exists then the clients problem still exists (by the way never call them customers, ever, they are clients, at all times be professional in speech and attire!!!!!). Would you pay a mechanic and be happy if the problem persists??
People fear bats. Therefore bats are money. But you gotta be good and perfect. That means offering warranties. Airtight contracts of which there is not a one size fits all. I designed my own. Pricing is hard at first. Very hard!!
The biggest money is in exclusions of animals, and with raccoon and bats the cleanouts and re-insulating. Not in the trapping of animals. Except moles. So some skills carpentry are a must. Gotta be ready for heights. I excluded bats from a church that was nearly 80 ft. To the roof peak. Depends on your location, but you likely will deal with slate roofs.
I would not quit a job to do it full time at first. If possible stay out of debt, and buy equipment as you go. You likely will blow through vehicles to make money. I averaged over 50,000 miles a year. I had a separate 2 car garage to hold all my equipment without my truck being in it!! 100+ live traps, and 800+ mole traps in tubs takes up alot of room. Ladders, ladders,ladders.
PM me. I can help you as you go. I’m retired so I hunt, trap, fish but evenings are free.
Good luck!!
P.S. you will NEVER HAVE A DAY OFF. I once worked 18 months without a day off including every holiday!

Re: Wildlife control contract [Re: OhiotrapperJosh] #7201562
03/02/21 05:42 AM
03/02/21 05:42 AM
West Virginia
S
Sshaffer Offline
trapper
Sshaffer  Offline
trapper
S

West Virginia
Hey, I figured out how to PM you my cell.
Call if you wish.
Gonna be trout fishing most of the morning and out of service.

Re: Wildlife control contract [Re: charles] #7201614
03/02/21 08:10 AM
03/02/21 08:10 AM
Ohio
O
OhiotrapperJosh Offline OP
trapper
OhiotrapperJosh  Offline OP
trapper
O

Ohio
Originally Posted by charles
What kind of job are you leaving, or do you plan to do both.

Not planning on leaving my current job anytime soon. I just enjoy trapping and would like to see how well I can do in my area with it because there is limited wildlife control companies around me

Re: Wildlife control contract [Re: OhiotrapperJosh] #7201787
03/02/21 10:48 AM
03/02/21 10:48 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
I did the same as you.
Kept my full time job and started part time after regular work.
Got laid off and went full time for 7 yrs. Liability insurance is a must as Shaffer said. There are a couple companies that specialize in ADC insurance.
Sshaffer gives good info, BUT I took Sundays off pretty often. You just have to plan for it, like you would a vacation. Or I would check beaver traps at daybreak and still have time to get to church.
Trip any traps Saturday and plan to reset on Monday morn.
I usually was able to finish many jobs on Saturdays, too.
I Scheduled job starts on Mondays or Tuesdays when possible. It worked for me and did not lose customers by telling them I cannot start until Mon or Tues UNLESS it was bats or birds INSIDE a house, then I would get there ASAP.

Bat jobs were a "start any day" since I left the excluder/tarp in place for 4-7 days before returning.

DO NOT plan on learning with paying customers most of the time. Customers will be able to tell your lack of experience/proficiency. Bats are easy to do that with but not many others. For Instance, Learn to cage trap squirrels and other critters in/around your home, etc, BEFORE someone wants to pay you for it. Same with muskrats or another critter you may not have much experience with. Be READY to deal with folks Animal Rights neighbors that will tamper with your cage traps, even tho they are on anothers' property. IE, lock cages to trees., etc, etc.
Dealing with the public, AND THEIR NEIGHBORS, is way different than fur trapping in large parcels of land.
Your contract MUST have a line like "damaged or stolen traps are the clients responsibility."

hope this helps a bit

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Wildlife control contract [Re: OhiotrapperJosh] #7201802
03/02/21 10:56 AM
03/02/21 10:56 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
You should pick one critter, such as beaver, to concentrate on.

If you try to jump into the "coons in the attic" or "bats in the ceiling" you will need much more time, more equipment, more skills, etc. This type of nuisance wildlife control is where the money is, but it is a specialized type of work.

If that is what you're interested in pursuing....then go for it, but working another job and doing that kind of nuisance work isnt going to be easy or go well. Something will suffer. And it wont take but you failing on a nuisance job or two amd you're done in your local area. Word will spread quick that you cant get it done.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Wildlife control contract [Re: OhiotrapperJosh] #7202333
03/02/21 08:36 PM
03/02/21 08:36 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Try the ADC forum on here. Many operators on there.

Re: Wildlife control contract [Re: OhiotrapperJosh] #7202499
03/02/21 11:08 PM
03/02/21 11:08 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
I’ve been thinking of doing the same thing here, focusing only on digging animals in crop fields. Many farmers here have problems with gophers, prairie dogs, voles and badgers destroying their fields. I do it now as part of my day job on a farm, and I thought I might take saturdays and sundays to get a company started doing it on other farms. Before you say “ why don’t you just do it on the farm you work for already” the boss man only lets us work 8 hours a day mon-fri with some days during haying being the exception. I just don’t know if I could run enough gopher traps a day to make it lucrative enough to make it go.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread