No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! #7201996
03/02/21 01:57 PM
03/02/21 01:57 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline OP
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline OP
trapper
M

Wisconsin
This topic has been discussed on here many times and we finally have some action. This is not the thread for debate on this issue. This is a way for everyone that has an interest in being able to legally cross the railroad tracks in Wisconsin...again...to help in this effort. If you can help convince your legislators to sign onto the Bill by March 5 it will be huge!

The following was sent by George Meyer, the Executive Director of the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation. It must be noted that this is an issue across the entire State, not just along the Mississippi River.

As you know one of the top priority bill in the state legislative session is a bill to restore the right of sportsmen and women to once again cross railroad tracks on public lands for purposes of hunting, fishing and trapping.

A hidden change in a 2006 railroad bill prohibited individuals from crossing railroad tracks except on their own lands. The impact has been that it makes it illegal for hunters, anglers and trappers to cross the tracks that border the full length of the Mississippi River in Wisconsin. There are scores of former crossing that are there. In addition there are 121 DNR properties (state wildlife areas, state fishery areas, state parks, state forests, state natural areas) that have railroads crossing them. So say you are hunting in an area and the animal you are pursuing crosses the track, legally you have to hike out to the nearest road, cross the track on the road and then hike back on the other sided of the track to continue following the animal. In addition to the DNR properties there are railroad tracks crossing Federal and County forests and other local public lands.

Dan Trawicki, representing the Safari Club and I have been very busy lining up a lead bill sponsor in both the Senate and Assembly to restore the right of sportsmen and women to directly cross railroad tracks for the purpose of hunting, fishing and trapping. Senator Bernier from Chippewa Falls and Representative Magnafici from Dresser have agreed to be lead sponsors in the Senate and the Assembly. The bill is the same simple bill that has been introduced in previous legislative sessions.

They are now circulating the draft companion bills to their colleagues in the Senate and the Assembly requesting additional cosponsors. The more sponsors that can be gathered on the bill the better. Now is the time for you and the organizations and individuals that you represent to contact their respective Representatives and Senators asking them to cosponsor the bill. Please distribute this request to your members and to other organizations and emails that are not on this email. If people do not know their Representative and Senator, they can go to the Legislature's website: https://legis.wisconsin.gov That will take them to the Legislature's website. On the first page of the website on the right side in the middle is a link: "Who are my legislators?" If they click that link it takes them to a page with a map of Wisconsin. On the upper right hand corner is a search box where they should type in their address. Their state senator and representative and their emails will pop up.

The message should be some version of this:

Please cosponsor the following draft bills: LRB 1879 and LRB 2321 which are currently being circulated by Senator Bernier and Representative Magnafici. This bill will restore the right of sportsmen and women to directly cross railroad tracks for hunting, fishing and trapping on public lands. A bill passed in 2006 removed the right of sportsmen and women to cross railroads tracks that had been in existence for as long as there were railroads. This has blocked the access to public lands along the full length of the Mississippi for hunting, fishing and trapping. But the number of public lands affected are far greater, DNR has identified 121 state wildlife areas, fishery areas, state forests, state parks and state natural areas that have railroad tracks crossing them. This does not even include federal forests and county forests and other federal, state and local public properties. This means that sportsmen and women and other citizens, when they come to a track on a public property, they need to go out to the nearest road and then hike back in to continue using the land. In some cases railroad tracks have resulted in some of the public land actually becoming landlocked and totally not legally accessible. Direct crossing of these tracks by individuals hunting, fishing and trapping has not proven to be a safety hazard.

It is important that each of you make the contact with your legislators!

The bill is supported by the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation, Safari Club, Wisconsin Conservation Congress, Wisconsin Bear Hunters Association, Trout Unlimited, Ducks Unlimited, Wisconsin Trappers Association, Wisconsin Waterfowl Association, La Crosse County Conservation Alliance, Buffalo County Conservation Alliance, Alma Rod and Gun Club, Mondovi
Conservation Club and a growing number of groups.

Note that the DEADLINE FOR SIGNING ON TO THE BILL IS NEXT FRIDAY, MARCH 5, 2021.

Thank you,
George Meyer
Executive Director
Wisconsin Wildlife Federation
608-515-5545
georgemeyer@tds.net

Moosetrot

Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202002
03/02/21 02:04 PM
03/02/21 02:04 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Lets get er done guys.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202014
03/02/21 02:18 PM
03/02/21 02:18 PM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
If anybody can ramrod this through it is Dan Trawicki. Former Waukesha County Sherriff with lots of political contacts. Good to see Dan involved.

Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202039
03/02/21 02:43 PM
03/02/21 02:43 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline OP
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline OP
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Sent mine just now!

Moosetrot

Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202040
03/02/21 02:44 PM
03/02/21 02:44 PM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Where's Muskrat? This is his Baby!

Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202056
03/02/21 03:07 PM
03/02/21 03:07 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Get after'm guys!

Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202065
03/02/21 03:14 PM
03/02/21 03:14 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline OP
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline OP
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Just got word that my local Rep. Steve Doyle has signed on as a co-sponsor!

Moosetrot

Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202066
03/02/21 03:18 PM
03/02/21 03:18 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I called my Senator and rep

the Rep's staff meets Tuesday at 3 to discuss co-sponsorships , hopefully he will sign on

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202089
03/02/21 03:48 PM
03/02/21 03:48 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline OP
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline OP
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Here's mine sent today:

Senator Pfaff and Representative Doyle:

I have been informed that there is finally a strong effort to introduce legislation to allow hunters, anglers, and trappers to legally cross the railroad tracks in Wisconsin. LRB 1879 and LRB 2321 are being circulated by Senator Bernier and Representative Magnafici and will hopefully restore the right of hunters, anglers and trappers to cross the railroad tracks for access to public lands to which we have been denied access since 2006. This is not only a “River Issue”, it extends to public lands across the State that we are not able to legally access due to the law passed in 2006. The WDNR has identified 121 state wildlife areas, fishery areas, state forests, state parks, and state natural areas that are crossed by railroad tracks, and due to the 2006 law, public access to these areas. There are also many federal, county and other state properties that are effected by this.

The area I am most aware of is the stretch of federal land/water that runs from Brice Prairie to Trempealeau. The 2006 law restricts access to approximately 6,000 acres of federal and state lands that we were able to access for many decades for hunting, angling and trapping. This area is void of any established crossing points and for the most part is only accessible by foot traffic. In the many discussions I have had with others on this issue I have tried to clearly explain that this is now, in all reality, inaccessible to all except those who can boat in from the River. The length and near wilderness aspect of this area does not lend itself to established crossings. I, and many others, traditionally hunted and trapped that area for decades, yet now we cannot in fear of being stopped and cited by what some refer to as “The Railroad Cop” who actively patrols the railroad tracks up and down the River corridor. Some of us have reached the point that we would not be able to outrun him anymore!

I have been involved in local and state conservation organizations and issues for many decades. Access to lands and waters to hunt, fish, and trap is a huge issue for all and is steadily increasing in complexity. The law signed in 2006 greatly reduced our access to existing public lands and waters across the state, and it is time for a change.

I am requesting that you sign onto LRB 1879 and LRB 2321 and support them in any way possible. They correct a great disservice to the hunters, anglers, and trappers in your respective districts and across the State. Railroad track crossing by hunters, anglers, and trappers have not been proven to be hazardous, and it is time we regain access to the resources we all are stewards of.

Thank you for your time in consideration of this request.

Respectfully,

Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202134
03/02/21 04:43 PM
03/02/21 04:43 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
I stole your note Moosetrot and added a little about a property over here in my neck of the woods. I hope you don't mind.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202136
03/02/21 04:47 PM
03/02/21 04:47 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline OP
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline OP
trapper
M

Wisconsin
That's why I posted it WiMarshRat. Use away.....

Moosetrot

Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202173
03/02/21 05:31 PM
03/02/21 05:31 PM
Happy Valley
CoonsBane Offline
trapper
CoonsBane  Offline
trapper

Happy Valley
If you are serious about the issue and want to be taken seriously you should leave out the insults to the Railroad Cop.

Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202199
03/02/21 06:13 PM
03/02/21 06:13 PM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
good luck guys, this is just common sense, so it will be a fight frown

Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202203
03/02/21 06:15 PM
03/02/21 06:15 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
I'm not saying I cross tracks already, I'm not saying I don't either. I'm just sayin.

No Jab.
Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202234
03/02/21 06:47 PM
03/02/21 06:47 PM
Wisconsin
G
Green Bay Offline
trapper
Green Bay  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
I will contact them.

Author of The Lure Hunter: A Guide to Finding Fishing Lures
Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: CoonsBane] #7202244
03/02/21 07:04 PM
03/02/21 07:04 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline OP
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline OP
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by CoonsBane
If you are serious about the issue and want to be taken seriously you should leave out the insults to the Railroad Cop.

It was not meant as an insult to the Railroad Cop. I know both my Reps. on a first-name basis, they know I am very serious about this issue and have been for years, and they know how I speak and wanted to 'personalize" my statement to them. If you still think I was insulting the Railroad Cop you are dead wrong.

Anything else you want to criticize? Any spelling errors or anything?

Moosetrot

Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202247
03/02/21 07:08 PM
03/02/21 07:08 PM
WI
B
Badger23 Offline
trapper
Badger23  Offline
trapper
B

WI
I sent an email to Pfaff and Oldenburg today. Thanks for the heads up on this Moosetrot, hopefully it gets changed.

Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202295
03/02/21 08:05 PM
03/02/21 08:05 PM
Happy Valley
CoonsBane Offline
trapper
CoonsBane  Offline
trapper

Happy Valley
Originally Posted by Moosetrot
Originally Posted by CoonsBane

It was not meant as an insult to the Railroad Cop. I know both my Reps. on a first-name basis, they know I am very serious about this issue and have been for years, and they know how I speak and wanted to 'personalize" my statement to them. If you still think I was insulting the Railroad Cop you are dead wrong.

Anything else you want to criticize? Any spelling errors or anything?

Moosetrot

I have quite a bit of experience in politics. Whether you meant it or not, your remarks come across as an insult. It just comes across poorly. You may not think so. It doesn't impact me either way. What I can tell you is that's a quick way to have your input dismissed without a second thought. If others copy your letter and send it to their representatives, who don't know them personally, you are doing a disservice to everyone with a vested interest in seeing this passed. If you are too sensitive to take my advice, I apologize for upsetting you.

Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202498
03/02/21 11:05 PM
03/02/21 11:05 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline OP
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline OP
trapper
M

Wisconsin
This ain't my first rodeo either, CoonsBane. I have been at this and many other issues for decades and I do not need to be told how to do it. I stand firmly that my remark in my personal letter to my Reps. was absolutely not an insult to the Railroad Cop. If you are so sensitive to think it was, I can't and won't change that. You can read it any way you want to I suppose, though. Some folks are very adept at digging and picking apart any statement or effort made by anyone and I guess this thread just had to be one of them.

Nuff said...let's get this done, Wisconsin folks!

Moosetrot

Re: Wisconsin Railroad Crossing Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Moosetrot] #7202515
03/02/21 11:35 PM
03/02/21 11:35 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Moosetrot.....I think PA has enough of its own issues....maybe he should fix his own sand box

Last edited by Nessmuck; 03/02/21 11:35 PM.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread