No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Bruce T] #7202945
03/03/21 01:09 PM
03/03/21 01:09 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Online content
trapper
Posco  Online Content
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Bruce T
Some game wardens are arses and some are nice.

They got a lot of bad press some years back and really worked to improve their image with the public. I haven't dealt with very many but the ones I have have been great. I was a little surprised at their lack of knowledge with some of our regs.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7202950
03/03/21 01:16 PM
03/03/21 01:16 PM
wyoming
W
WyFurHarvesters Offline
trapper
WyFurHarvesters  Offline
trapper
W

wyoming
You violated 2 laws and I would bet that if you read the rest of the regulations there is an exception for a warden to examine or pull traps as evidence of a violation. If you feel you have a case go to court but betting that you are found guilty. As far as talking to the warden he just got more information from you to seal his case in court. My advise would be pay the fine, not go to court and apologize to the warden and do a better job.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: waggler] #7202952
03/03/21 01:18 PM
03/03/21 01:18 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Online content
trapper
Posco  Online Content
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by waggler
The vast majority of us Outdoorsman are honest people

Can't remember where I heard or read it but one guy commented that sportsmen are criminals yet to be caught. Paraphrasing there. Based on the number of stolen scouting cameras, tree stands, blinds, etc. and the willful trespassing that goes on across the country, I'd have to question your statement. Those problems are chronic, widespread and committed by fellow outdoorsmen.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Redknot] #7202953
03/03/21 01:21 PM
03/03/21 01:21 PM
New York
J
Jim H Offline
trapper
Jim H  Offline
trapper
J

New York
Originally Posted by Redknot
Originally Posted by Jim H
You probably could have fought the body gripper, but due to your guilt of untagged traps the judge probably trusted the dec officer above you. ALL traps must be tagged in NY. It's in the regs.

[Linked Image]

You could have been pinched for each trap that he found in the field untagged...How many did you have untagged?? And how many tickets for untagged traps did you get???

ZERO! ALL my traps are tagged! My good traps (Montana's and MBs are engraved with my back tag #) Any other questions?

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7202954
03/03/21 01:23 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
You earned those tickets , now if you had tagged your traps and used a different style for the other trap what he is doing is harassment.

Any way now its time for lots daily walks in the woods thru nasty thickets to mock sets with lots of gutso smeared on branches he must walk thru and touch. Have some fun but no traps lol.

We had a warden out here that would check our lines more then we would, no violations found but after 3 weeks a phone call was all it took to stop it. Changed his attitude when his boss got after him.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Michigander] #7202957
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Online content
trapper
Trapper7  Online Content
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Michigander
Never consent to a search of your home (or vehicle). Literally nothing good can come from it, only bad. Its not your job to prove you are inoccent.

In some states, a CO can search your vehicle without a search warrant. They can look in your boat, cooler, etc. too.

In my area, we've only had one CO that was a real butthead. He gave a farmer permission to have me trap some beaver that had flooded the farmer's hay field. The CO called me and said I had permission to trap the out of season nuisance beaver. I told the CO I could start the following day. He said I'd have to wait that he'd be out of town for a couple days and he wouldn't be able to check things out. He said he didn't trust trappers.

Shows how stupid he was. This was the middle of summer. Fur is pretty much worthless at that time of the year. Why would any trapper try to catch any other furbearer when they would be way out of prime? When I mentioned the CO to a couple other sportsmen they said the guy's a real jerk.

We are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but are told to judge all gunowners by the actions of a few.
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Redknot] #7202960
03/03/21 01:24 PM
03/03/21 01:24 PM
New York
J
Jim H Offline
trapper
Jim H  Offline
trapper
J

New York
You probably could have fought the body gripper, but due to your guilt of untagged traps the judge probably trusted the dec officer above you. ALL traps must be tagged in NY. It's in the regs.

[Linked Image]

You could have been pinched for each trap that he found in the field untagged...How many did you have untagged?? And how many tickets for untagged traps did you get???

ZERO! ALL my traps are tagged! ( my Montana's and MBs are also engraved on the frame.) Any other questions?

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7202964
03/03/21 01:26 PM
03/03/21 01:26 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
you didn't make that clear in your fist post that they were engraved.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: nvwrangler] #7202968
03/03/21 01:28 PM
03/03/21 01:28 PM
New York
J
Jim H Offline
trapper
Jim H  Offline
trapper
J

New York
Originally Posted by nvwrangler
you didn't make that clear in your fist post that they were engraved.

I.dont know if his are/were. He called me out on untagged traps. I said all of mine ARE and my good ones are also engraved.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7202973
03/03/21 01:32 PM
03/03/21 01:32 PM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Jim, I wasn't saying your traps...I was using the boxed-out verbiage you have here in the post...I'm asking JOE how many were untagged and how many tickets as he could have been pinched for each one...

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7202975
03/03/21 01:33 PM
03/03/21 01:33 PM
New York
J
Jim H Offline
trapper
Jim H  Offline
trapper
J

New York
Ah, sorry!!! I miss read.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7202976
03/03/21 01:34 PM
03/03/21 01:34 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

I read the entire writeup. And offer my opinions from the GW side....

The OP violated two wildlife laws...by his own admission...and is now angry because a game warden did his job and discovered the violations. How do you think a game warden can see if your traps are marked/tagged without disturbing the set? He is allowed by law to do this and to seize traps set in violation. Dont have to return them either as illegally set traps are contraband, not just evidence. But, the OP said the NY GW did return them,and the OP is still unhappy.

The OP also ALLOWED the GW to conduct a consent search at his home and then got irritated because the GW didnt apologize for not finding any more violations. Seriously? THE OP made the choice to allow the warrantless search. The GW did his job by asking for consent. If refused that would have ended that.

The OP also states over and over that his trapping area is the most rural area in half the country then is puzzled why the GW found him and looked at him closer. The OP's sign was the ONLY sign there. It's easy to follow the only sign found. The GW kept looking closer because he found violations the first time he checked the OP. Would any of you do any different if you were a GW? Im gonna check you out if I'm not sure you are legal. Its the job!

All of us, as sportsmen and women, have an obligation to comply with wildlife laws and regs. The courts have ruled time and again that it is in the best interest of wildlife conservation to accept field compliance checks that are slightly more intrusive than what would be allowed at say a traffic stop for traffic violations. Research it if you think Im wrong. Take a look at the open fields doctrine too.

The OP is recreating on public land, but his story reads like he is inside his home. GW dont need probable cause to inspect/enforce wildlife laws in the outdoors, especially on public land. Even on private land reasonable suspicion will start the legal ball rolling. The GWs dont make any laws or set any regs. We do try to use common sense when we can but I see no harrassment here. Just a guy that caught standing a bit short and is irritated that he got caught.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7202980
03/03/21 01:36 PM
03/03/21 01:36 PM
New York
J
Jim H Offline
trapper
Jim H  Offline
trapper
J

New York
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

The OP violated two wildlife laws...by his own admission...and is now angry because a game warden did his job and discovered the violations. How do you think a game warden can see if your traps are marked/tagged without disturbing the set? He is allowed by law to do this and to seize traps set in violation. Dont have to return them either as illegally set traps are contraband, not just evidence. But, the OP said the NY GW did return them,and the OP is still unhappy.

The OP also ALLOWED the GW to conduct a consent search at his home and then got irritated because the GW didnt apologize for not finding any more violations. Seriously? THE OP made the choice to allow the warrantless search. The GW did his job by asking for consent. If refused that would have ended that.

The OP also states over and over that his trapping area is the most rural area in half the country then is puzzled why the GW found him and looked at him closer. The OP's sign was the ONLY sign there. It's easy to follow the only sign found. The GW kept looking closer because he found violations the first time he checked the OP. Would any of you do any different if you were a GW? Im gonna check you out if I'm not sure you are legal. Its the job!

All of us, as sportsmen and women, have an obligation to comply with wildlife laws and regs. The courts have ruled time and again that it is in the best interest of wildlife conservation to accept field compliance checks that are slightly more intrusive than what would be allowed at say a traffic stop for traffic violations. Research it if you think Im wrong. Take a look at the open fields doctrine too.

The OP is recreating on public land, but his story reads like he is inside his home. GW dont need probable cause to inspect/enforce wildlife laws in the outdoors, especially on public land. Even on private land reasonable suspicion will start the legal ball rolling. The GWs dont make any laws or set any regs. We do try to use common sense when we can but I see no harrassment here. Just a guy that caught standing a bit short and is irritated that he got caught.

Best response yet! Well said!

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7202983
03/03/21 01:39 PM
03/03/21 01:39 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Originally Posted by joepennanti

I pled "not guilty" last night, but the judge let the eco decide that I should be fined $100. After I paid, the eco again said "Keep on trapping," and was as jolly as Fredo Cuomo.

Joe,

I am so sorry this happened to you with this over zealous, anti trapping ENCON Officer.

I consider you to be a man of meticulous integrity in every thing you do,
and know you follow the game laws to the letter.

This sorry excuse for a public servant found two of the most minuscule
reasons possible to cite you with a violation the trapping regulations.

It appears that the ENCON officer has had an Illegal "Ex Parte" communication
with the Town Judge in violation of your constitutional rights when he had
a conversation with the judge about what your fine should be.

It may be grounds for an appeal, and the overturning of your conviction
on legal technicalities If you hire a competent attorney.

On the other hand, two ENCON violations within a 5 year period are grounds
for the revocation of your trapping license for up to 5 years if the arresting
ECON officer recommends it.

If this jerk reads this thread, he is likely to launch a vendetta against you.

Wouldn't want to be in your moccasins right now.

Call me if you want to talk about this, or send me a PM.

walleyed

Last edited by walleyed; 03/03/21 01:57 PM.

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7202991
03/03/21 01:48 PM
03/03/21 01:48 PM
New York
J
Jim H Offline
trapper
Jim H  Offline
trapper
J

New York
Walleyed, we all have to follow the law in this messed up State we live in. If his traps were not tagged, he WAS in violation of the law! If engraved he'd be safe. Were they either? I agree with the over zealous part but he did not do himself any favors! My uncle outside Canandaigua had an unpleasant run in with a DEC officer years ago BUT was within the law and won his case easily. The body gripper was a stretch for sure! The judge letting the officer set the charge/fine was also very suspect!

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: walleyed] #7202994
03/03/21 01:52 PM
03/03/21 01:52 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by walleyed
Originally Posted by joepennanti

I pled "not guilty" last night, but the judge let the eco decide that I should be fined $100. After I paid, the eco again said "Keep on trapping," and was as jolly as Fredo Cuomo.

Joe,

I am so sorry this happened to you with this over zealous, anti trapping ENCON Officer.

I consider you to be a man of meticulous integrity in every thing you do,
and know you follow the game laws to the letter.

This sorry excuse for a public servant found two of the most minuscule
reasons possible to cite you with a violation the trapping regulations.

It appears that the ENCON officer has had an Illegal "Ex Parte" communication
with the Town Judge in violation of your constitutional rights when he had
a conversation with the judge about what your fine should be.

It may be grounds for an appeal, and the overturning your conviction on legal
technicalities If you hire a competent attorney.

On the other hand, two ENCON violations within a 5 year period are grounds
for the revocation of your trapping license for up to 5 years if the arresting
ECON officer recommends it.

If this jerk reads this thread, he is likely to launch a vendetta against you.

Wouldn't want to be in your moccasins right now.

Call me if you want to talk about this, or send me a PM.

walleyed

I dont know Joe.

But, Joe missed a letter or two of "that law" he was supposed to be following.

I also didnt realize that in NY officers are supposed to pick and choose which violations are miniscule. Here in Ga, if I find one trap that doesnt have proper tag/stamping I usually get the trapper to show me on the trap where its at..in case I overlooked it...and then show me others..in the truck or in the woods that are tagged/marked..as I realize critters will chew them off sometimes and overlooked by the trapper. If I find two back to back unmarked/tagged traps...well.

Also, in Ga local courts without a DA or a solicitor, the charging officer is the prosecutor and is asked to make decisions on dropping charges, fines, and other aspects of a case.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 03/03/21 01:56 PM.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Jim H] #7203004
03/03/21 01:58 PM
03/03/21 01:58 PM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Walleyed, we all have to follow the law in this messed up State we live in. If his traps were not tagged, he WAS in violation of the law! If engraved he'd be safe. Were they either? I agree with the over zealous part but he did not do himself any favors! My uncle outside Canandaigua had an unpleasant run in with a DEC officer years ago BUT was within the law and won his case easily. The body gripper was a stretch for sure! The judge letting the officer set the charge/fine was also very suspect!

In rural NY the ECO does often act as the DA for these cases, so it would NOT be unusual for the ECO to suggest the fine...As I suggested above, I feel Joe got off pretty easy if he had more than one or two traps in the field untagged and only got pinched for one...He could have wound up with multiples on the untagged at $100 a peice and loss of privilege...

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203017
03/03/21 02:15 PM
03/03/21 02:15 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Swamp, I liked both your posts and agree with you. Fortunately here I'm told by several wardens that they can't touch a trap to see if there is a violation but can after they spot a violation. Our exposed sets make it easy to see tags most of the time but there our times where they can't see a tag due to brush or how blocking was placed. 90% of the wardens I have ever dealt with over the years have been fair and reasonable people , sounds like you are from the same mold and one of the good ones.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Jim H] #7203020
03/03/21 02:20 PM
03/03/21 02:20 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Best response yet! Well said!

I would add that perhaps the officer could have used better diplomacy or been more tactful if the conversation went exactly as described by the OP but officers should never apologize for doing what their function entails as long as they're acting in good faith.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Redknot] #7203023
03/03/21 02:21 PM
03/03/21 02:21 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa

In rural NY the ECO does often act as the DA for these cases, so it would NOT be unusual for the ECO to suggest the fine...As I suggested above, I feel Joe got off pretty easy if he had more than one or two traps in the field untagged and only got pinched for one...He could have wound up with multiples on the untagged at $100 a peice and loss of privilege...

I'm told its 100 apiece here too. The most basic law in every state.

Too bad one has to think about not tagging because of anti's, but that's not an excuse. Had he been legal, then he'd have a really good argument for his traps being tampered with, and that's something I'd push if it ever happened to me for no reason.

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread