No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: ~ADC~] #7203594
03/03/21 10:22 PM
03/03/21 10:22 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Online content
trapper
Bruce T  Online Content
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
You know wardens are like cops, in that when you don't do illegal stuff anymore they tend to not bother you so bad.

Unless your dealing with a bad warden who try's to plant illegal stuff on you.Know of a warden that was famous for this.

Nevada bound
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Mike in A-town] #7203611
03/03/21 10:37 PM
03/03/21 10:37 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
I understand that Swamp Wolf... But for every person on here who has had nothing but positive experience with wardens there is at least one, if not two, who can tell a different tale.

I had a run-in with the warden I referenced above. I was in the right... and after repeated aggressive questioning for 45 minutes he realized I was in the right and relented. The attitude of, "I know you're guilty and I'll keep hammering on that until you fold" erased any respect I had for his position. I follow the laws because I'm cheap and don't feel like giving ODWC anymore money than I have to... I've never had a wildlife violation and never plan to... But that isn't due to respect for the wardens.

After the experience I just related, and serving as a jury foreman on a wildlife case... The taste in my mouth just won't go away. Nothing personal, but the damage is done.

Mike

I hate that its like this with some GWs.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Mike in A-town] #7203614
03/03/21 10:38 PM
03/03/21 10:38 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
Originally Posted by The Beav
I had a buddy who beat a so called trapping violation In court. Then every warden In the force had eyes on him. They finally got him and you know what he was charged with? It was littering he had left a bunch of Q tips behind when he pulled his coon sets. They had taken pictures of his sets and his tagged traps at those sets so he couldn't get out of It. He had also left some flagging behind at those sets.

Was what he did a violation of law? Yes, technically. But, the fact that he beat the original rap in court and they had to resort to pinching him on littering... There's a word for that. And that word generally references the solid waste of egg-laying barnyard fowl.

If it were an isolated incident most of us wouldn't give it a second thought... But they're hardly isolated. We had one around here who was notorious for always "getting his man" until he got caught in some less-than-legal maneuver. He wound up quietly "retiring" from the force.

Mike

I had a friend of the family long dead now that was dirt floor poor and the biggest poacher I ever heard of. He feed his family on deer . Limits and seasons well were not even guide lines. Once a guy at work asked his son why his dad hit so many deer. His response was you can't shoot them out of season. Yep he would even run them down with that big green 50s Ford 4x4 "Greenie"

The warden's wanted him bad for years and could never catch him or get anything on him although they were so close many times. The stories I heard.

When they finally got him he was actually 100% legal. He was walking out of an area and called a friend to pick him up because his truck was on the next road over(in his 70s at this point and straitened up to around to 90% legal by now) on his way out of the woods he shot a deer on the back side of the field with his 357 ruger single 6 at 30 yards . The deer was a fake deer and his friend mark was sitting at the road awaiting in his truck. The conservative offers pounced.

With threats of charges on the friend he lied and said Jim shot that fake deer from the truck and the rest is history. They finally had there man after years/decades of failure. It was dishonest but I guess the ends justified the means to them. After all it's not like he had not broke every law on the books repeatedly and had it coming.

But seeing this as a young kid I became aware at a young age law enforce is not always honest or infallible. I learned a lot from that old man like how effective a ..22lr is and if you hit deer broadside it will tear up your vehicle but if you hit them running away it pushed them forward and dammage is limited if any.

Yes he broke the law many times just to feed his family. They lived in a 2 room shack heared with a fire place. I don't fault him for it. He was also one good practical joker.

As a young city boy 5-10 his house was the gateway for me to get out to the country. It was our base for hunting ,fishing and 4 wheeler riding before my uncle bought his place in the sticks. After that I only visited occasionally.

I won't break the law and make sure my kids know and understand it as well. But I have a hard time looking down on a poor man feeding his family breaking a game law to do so. Those deer belong to the people so I'm told by one source. By another I read God gave man dominion. Now trophy hunting poachers are a different matter. Nail them to the wall.

It truly was a different time back then.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #7203620
03/03/21 10:40 PM
03/03/21 10:40 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Sometimes I feel all alone on Tman trying to explain another angle. But, I do it to myself...lol

What other angle is there? That dang warden should have minded his own business and over looked the fact joe had traps set illegally. The audacity of you dang wardens is something else! laugh

I was about to start typing furiously...until I read the rest of your sentences...lol

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203629
03/03/21 10:43 PM
03/03/21 10:43 PM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline
trapper
Ohiowoodchuck  Offline
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
Remain silent and don’t let them in your house. There not your friend. They have no case and there waiting on you to spill the beans on yourself.

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”
— Thomas Paine
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203639
03/03/21 10:46 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.

Every town in the north has a well known family or two of poachers that never or seldom get caught.
i remember one fellow-his kid was over at the house for supper and we had pork chops and the kid asked where did you get that white moosemeat?

Last edited by Boco; 03/03/21 10:48 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Savell] #7203640
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Savell
Mike .... I’ve had multiple wildlife violations... in fact I violate wildlife on a regular basis... but not having a cushion with a strap on it in a cat fishing boat shouldn’t cost $500... or a buck with a 12 1/2 inch spread cost you the loss of meat and another $ 500 .... now there might be a couple that I earned fair and square back in the day lol

.... almost got arrested for frog gigging by a game warden one time ... but I was able to outwit him lol

Wilbur,
You do know that most courts sets the fines...right? Not the GW. The GW may be asked for his input in rare cases that the court is unfamiliar with but nowadays there is usually a printed bond list they go by even in small courts.

The judge there must think a lot of you. Does he get to see you a lot with your hat in your hand?

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203644
03/03/21 10:49 PM
03/03/21 10:49 PM
new york
B
banchee Offline
trapper
banchee  Offline
trapper
B

new york
wow this has been beat to death 8 pages, im born and raised in hamilton county where joe is trapping, i now live just north of ft, drum. the run ins i have had with state game wardens are few and far between. any i have had are respectul and always treated me well, the younger ones ask alot of questions trying to learn more about trapping. we have a state game warden here on ft drum plus the govt game wardedns they are the same way they dont go out of their way to bust your chops but if your doing the wrong thing or not with the state regulatins they will give you a ticket, i will hold my comment about joes situation to myself you guys have hammed him enough . only chiming in to say i set my first trap here in ny in 1976 and have never had a bad run in with a sate game warden maybe i was and have been lucky banchee

TOMMY HAYES
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Ohiowoodchuck] #7203647
03/03/21 10:50 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Ohiowoodchuck
Remain silent and don’t let them in your house. There not your friend. They have no case and there waiting on you to spill the beans on yourself.

Sad that you feel this way about your GWs. Sorta like there is always someone out to get ya. That sux! I couldnt enjoy anything in the outdoors if I felt like that.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203648
NJ
B
Bucndoe Offline
trapper
Bucndoe  Offline
trapper
B

NJ
I'm trying to figure this out. You set untagged traps, got caught, and are upset the Game Warden crawled up your (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) with a microscope ? What did I miss ?

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203655
03/03/21 10:51 PM
03/03/21 10:51 PM
Wisconsin
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Take to court ask for jury trial. Best advice a police officer gave me recently. He stated, in Wisconsin find a jury of your peers that will convict you against the dnr. Not a bench trial a jury you only need one to dislike the dnr. Odds are pretty good you find one.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7203663
03/03/21 10:53 PM
03/03/21 10:53 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Mike .... I’ve had multiple wildlife violations... in fact I violate wildlife on a regular basis... but not having a cushion with a strap on it in a cat fishing boat shouldn’t cost $500... or a buck with a 12 1/2 inch spread cost you the loss of meat and another $ 500 .... now there might be a couple that I earned fair and square back in the day lol

.... almost got arrested for frog gigging by a game warden one time ... but I was able to outwit him lol

Wilbur,
You do know that most courts sets the fines...right? Not the GW. The GW may be asked for his input in rare cases that the court is unfamiliar with but nowadays there is usually a printed bond list they go by even in small courts.

The judge there must think a lot of you. Does he get to see you a lot with your hat in your hand?

... objection your honor lol

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203670
03/03/21 10:57 PM
03/03/21 10:57 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
... there ain’t many of us good ol boys left in this world....y’all game lawmen need to go a little easier on us from time to time... might need us one day lol

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203696
03/03/21 11:04 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Joe, when the next revolution starts, you can run that human weasel off tarred and feathered just like they did in the first revolution. We supposedly got rid of "kings" at various scales several centuries ago. Too bad the politicians and the bureaucrats have crowned themselves again...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Trapper7] #7203697
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
Originally Posted by Trapper7
Originally Posted by Michigander
Never consent to a search of your home (or vehicle). Literally nothing good can come from it, only bad. Its not your job to prove you are inoccent.

In some states, a CO can search your vehicle without a search warrant. They can look in your boat, cooler, etc. too.

In my area, we've only had one CO that was a real butthead. He gave a farmer permission to have me trap some beaver that had flooded the farmer's hay field. The CO called me and said I had permission to trap the out of season nuisance beaver. I told the CO I could start the following day. He said I'd have to wait that he'd be out of town for a couple days and he wouldn't be able to check things out. He said he didn't trust trappers.

Shows how stupid he was. This was the middle of summer. Fur is pretty much worthless at that time of the year. Why would any trapper try to catch any other furbearer when they would be way out of prime? When I mentioned the CO to a couple other sportsmen they said the guy's a real jerk.

A CO has to follow the same rules as any other LEO. The constitution is the same whether it is a CO or a local PO. The 4th applies equally.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Providence Farm] #7203701
03/03/21 11:07 PM
03/03/21 11:07 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Providence Farm

I won't break the law and make sure my kids know and understand it as well. But I have a hard time looking down on a poor man feeding his family breaking a game law to do so. Those deer belong to the people so I'm told by one source. By another I read God gave man dominion. Now trophy hunting poachers are a different matter. Nail them to the wall.

It truly was a different time back then.

Well..I was about to quit posting on this thread but I read that I learned PF something he didnt know. You're welcome PF. Wildlife belongs to the people.

I wonder how youd feel if that old poacher lived next to you, you didnt know him well, but he knew your property better than you and your kids..and ate more of the deer from your property than your family did.

I know of a trophy hunter that killed big antlered bucks to sell the antlers so he could feed his family.

There is always another angle and that is why the legal way is the only fair way for everyone.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 03/03/21 11:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Savell] #7203705
03/03/21 11:09 PM
03/03/21 11:09 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

... there ain’t many of us good ol boys left in this world....y’all game lawmen need to go a little easier on us from time to time... might need us one day lol

Could be other way around...

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7203706
03/03/21 11:10 PM
03/03/21 11:10 PM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline
trapper
Ohiowoodchuck  Offline
trapper
O

Southern Ohio

Sad that you feel this way about your GWs. Sorta like there is always someone out to get ya. That sux! I couldnt enjoy anything in the outdoors if I felt like that.

I feel that way about all law enforcement. They have all got bigger then they need to be. You can believe in big brother though. I can pull in to the local grocery store on any given night and see a drug deal take place but there is no cops around. That’s right there sitting on the county road by my employer trying to catch one of us going over the speed limit. They can’t get no money out of the drug dealers just the working people. I had my run in with the game warden a few years ago. Tried to get me for hunting turkeys over bait. I didn’t have permission to hunt on the property the bait was on nor was I trespassing I had permission on a different property. I was the on the ridge over and had no idea it was there. They took my gun and everything. Tried to take me to the cleaners. I won without going to court. I kept trying to tell the idiot that I had no idea who put it there nor was I ever on the property. I was guilty before my day. I do nothing illegal or look over my shoulder while I’m doing it.

Last edited by Ohiowoodchuck; 03/03/21 11:10 PM.

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”
— Thomas Paine
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203716
03/03/21 11:13 PM
03/03/21 11:13 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
... now all the poachers need to do is steal game cameras and sell them at the pawn shop to feed the family... less blood on your britches that way... and the deer paparazzi will just buy more... stimulating the economy lol

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203719
03/03/21 11:15 PM
03/03/21 11:15 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

I feel that way about all law enforcement.

I figured as much.

I hope you have better experiences with LE in the future.

Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread