No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203829
03/04/21 12:12 AM
03/04/21 12:12 AM
Wyoming
T
ttzt Offline
trapper
ttzt  Offline
trapper
T

Wyoming
This has been fun!

Last edited by ttzt; 03/04/21 12:23 AM.
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203830
03/04/21 12:15 AM
Southern Ohio
O
Ohiowoodchuck Offline
trapper
Ohiowoodchuck  Offline
trapper
O

Southern Ohio
Ohio brought more coyotes in from Texas. They was tired of all the complaints they was getting from the insurance companies about the premiums they was paying out. I saw a bull hauler at a truck stop in mid Ohio. I spoke to the truck driver myself. He said he delivers them regularly around the state. Why not have longer hunting season or allow a larger bag limit. I saw seven coyotes the other day in my buddies pasture stalking his calf’s. I got one before the rest got out of range. It’s going to be a problem now for farmers that there isn’t any deer to eat.

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”
— Thomas Paine
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7203831
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by DelawareRob
Will do thanks!

Side note:

Do I have to have my traps tagged?

Lol

No...you can stamp them with your name or lic #.

Saw that.... quick google search.

That is probably all the time? Even if they might get stolen?

Don’t want my rights to be violated

86BD27D0-9DA3-4327-A2E8-81F2D1C8D32E.jpeg

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203834
03/04/21 12:20 AM
03/04/21 12:20 AM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

How goofy is my state... we have to have everything tagged except for traps that are set specifically for muskrats.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203840
03/04/21 12:23 AM
03/04/21 12:23 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Del Rob,
I stamp the pans of all mine with my number. Have had a handful stolen over the years but they never resurfaced.

I know of no incident in Ga where a trapper was charged that wasnt on scene where the trap was found set. Questioned? Yes. But, easy investigation showed that the number on the trap didnt match up with the rest of the evidence. Simple Po-Po work.

I instruct trapping enforcement for new game wardens. I gather some info annually from around the state about different trapping enforcement situations that were encountered.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 03/04/21 12:29 AM. Reason: More info

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203841
03/04/21 12:24 AM
03/04/21 12:24 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

My snares and bodygrip extensions have my tags....built into the cable loop.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 03/04/21 12:26 AM.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7203846
03/04/21 12:29 AM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Del Rob,
I stamp the pans of all mine with my number. Have had a handful stolen over the years but they never resurfaced.

I know of no incident in Ga where a trapper was charged that wasnt on scene where the trap was found set. Questioned? Yes. But, easy investigation showed that the number on the trap didnt match up with the rest of the evidence. Simple Po-Po work.

Makes perfect sense.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203847
S Illinois, former cheesehead
K
Kelly Offline
trapper
Kelly  Offline
trapper
K

S Illinois, former cheesehead
Swamp, am wanting to go to S GA to bowhunt for hogs on public ground. Couple ? for you. What is legal minimum bow weight for hogs/deer? What license do I need for hogs? Thanks

Enjoy Mother Nature's Glory, everyday!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7203848
03/04/21 12:30 AM
03/04/21 12:30 AM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

My snares and bodygrip extensions have my tags....built into the cable loop.

I do the same thing.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Kelly] #7203855
03/04/21 12:38 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Kelly
Swamp, am wanting to go to S GA to bowhunt for hogs on public ground. Couple ? for you. What is legal minimum bow weight for hogs/deer? What license do I need for hogs? Thanks

No poundage limit for bows...used to require 40# min, but that terminology was removed a few years ago. Crossbows are legal. Must use broadheads.

For deer you will need a 1) non-resident hunting license, 2) a non-resident big game license, and 3) a deer harvest record (free).

For hogs only you will need just the non-resident hunting license.

There are one day versions of these licenses and you can add extra days for reasonable price.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 03/04/21 12:40 AM. Reason: Spelling

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7203859
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

You're all right Swamp. I got nothing against ya.

Mike

Thanks Mike!
I should probably stick to posting about beaver and other critter trapping. At least I dont get called a "nobody." Lol

Nothing wrong with bein' a nobody... once heard an old boy from GA say it's alright to be little bitty. wink

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203867
03/04/21 12:45 AM
03/04/21 12:45 AM
Montana/Florida
G
Gene Dziza Offline
trapper
Gene Dziza  Offline
trapper
G

Montana/Florida
Joe:
Congratulations on your move. I pounded around the Adirondacks some as a kid and took lessons from Johnny Thorpe. Have some fun with this guy. Lay some tracks for him to follow. Go as far as you possibly can. Make some snow angels and pee a heart shape in the snow. Do some crazy stuff that makes him wonder what the heck you're doing out there. Make it look like you have some sets so he'll have to dig around with no traps. Do it a couple of times. Then, when the ground is bare, have someone pick you up and leave your vehicle for the day where he'll find it, so he stakes it out, hopefully, all day. You can have some fun with this.

Some guys on here might be familiar with a character from Northwest Montana named Fuzzy Barton. He has long since passed. The Region one FWP office in Kalispell has some pictures of him. He was a trapper and one time wardens were following him in the Northfork on snowshoes and Fuzzy caught on to them. He dragged those poor guys clear across the Whitefish Range and they followed him to a barstool at the Stillwater Bar.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Gene Dziza] #7203874
03/04/21 12:52 AM
03/04/21 12:52 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Gene Dziza
Joe:
Congratulations on your move. I pounded around the Adirondacks some as a kid and took lessons from Johnny Thorpe. Have some fun with this guy. Lay some tracks for him to follow. Go as far as you possibly can. Make some snow angels and pee a heart shape in the snow. Do some crazy stuff that makes him wonder what the heck you're doing out there. Make it look like you have some sets so he'll have to dig around with no traps. Do it a couple of times. Then, when the ground is bare, have someone pick you up and leave your vehicle for the day where he'll find it, so he stakes it out, hopefully, all day. You can have some fun with this.

Some guys on here might be familiar with a character from Northwest Montana named Fuzzy Barton. He has long since passed. The Region one FWP office in Kalispell has some pictures of him. He was a trapper and one time wardens were following him in the Northfork on snowshoes and Fuzzy caught on to them. He dragged those poor guys clear across the Whitefish Range and they followed him to a barstool at the Stillwater Bar.

Thats awesome! Keeping it fun makes the day go by quicker.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203889
03/04/21 01:02 AM
03/04/21 01:02 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Joe:

Classic!!

P.S. South Dakota doesn't have any regs on tagging traps with your info. It might be hard to believe, but someone in Pierre didn't think that was a good enough "gotcha" crime to include in our less than 3 pages of trapping regs.

P.S.S. Swamp Wolf, you ever take a game violation fine in cash and give no receipt...? Probably not. It happened to us out "West River" pheasant hunting. Yeah, we ended up being in the wrong, shot too close to livestock that we didn't see ahead of time when the birds were in the ditch. Landowner called the sheriff and he came blazing out. One of my non-resident hunters took the "fall" for the C-note fine. Sheriff took the cash and never gave a receipt. We probably got off easy with less fuss doing it that way. I doubt the State agency ever saw any of that coin. So it goes...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: NonPCfed] #7203898
03/04/21 01:16 AM
03/04/21 01:16 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by NonPCfed

Swamp Wolf, you ever take a game violation fine in cash and give no receipt...?.

Georgia GWs DO NOT handle any fine money. As stated above, in GA all fine money goes to the county where the violation occurred, and is handled by that county. The state does not receive any fine money.

Ive never taken evidence or contraband from a suspect without giving them a receipt. I also ensure they sign a
return receipt when evidence is returned to them.

Why any LEO would handle money or other property without a paper trail and a video on their body cam, is beyond me.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203915
03/04/21 01:49 AM
03/04/21 01:49 AM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
Some of you guys scare me.

I’m afraid when they pass laws that anyone who posses a trap or a gun is a felon, you’ll be the first to turn me in.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Tailhunter] #7203929
03/04/21 03:43 AM
03/04/21 03:43 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Tailhunter
Some of you guys scare me.

I’m afraid when they pass laws that anyone who posses a trap or a gun is a felon, you’ll be the first to turn me in.

Just don't post about it in the internet and you will be fine.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204109
03/04/21 10:10 AM
03/04/21 10:10 AM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
I believe Joe's first mistake on this post was referring to NYS DEC ECO's as Game Wardens - they are not. They are Environmental Conservation Officers and most of the decals on their vehicles say Environmental Police.

To one of Swamp's questions, yes they are DEC Staff. While Swamp has written some interesting comments on this post, I doubt he'd last ten minutes up here...That is not meant as a derogatory statement towards him (Swamp)......

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204123
03/04/21 10:23 AM
03/04/21 10:23 AM
NY
whartonrattrappe Offline
trapper
whartonrattrappe  Offline
trapper

NY
Here's a story about the officer,

The officer started this inquiry the same as he did with Joe. He then spent 5 hours following the trapper and checking his traps and sets.

In the end when he couldn't find a violation with the trappers traps or sets, he wrote him a ticket for having an invalid registration on his truck,

The reason, the trapper had done some work on the rusted parts of the truck and primed the bottom third of the truck, the registration should have said two tone Blue/Grey not Blue.

Again the officer had a valid reason to ticket the offender, but this shows his character.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Redknot] #7204137
03/04/21 10:33 AM
03/04/21 10:33 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Redknot
I believe Joe's first mistake on this post was referring to NYS DEC ECO's as Game Wardens - they are not. They are Environmental Conservation Officers and most of the decals on their vehicles say Environmental Police.

To one of Swamp's questions, yes they are DEC Staff. While Swamp has written some interesting comments on this post, I doubt he'd last ten minutes up here...That is not meant as a derogatory statement towards him (Swamp)......

I’ve lived and worked in northern states for a period of years. I’ve worked in minus degree weather and blizzards
I’ve known swamp wolff or a number of years.I would put him in with the best of them.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread