No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7204239
03/04/21 12:10 PM
03/04/21 12:10 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Online content
trapper
SJA  Online Content
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by Fisher Man
Redknot is correct, sometime back in New York they went from game wardens to "Environmental conservation officers". Now, besides enforcing fish and game laws they also chase speeders on the Northway and look for phosphates in super markets. Even the forest rangers carry guns these days.
I can not justify breaking the law, even when there are some bad ones.New York has some bad trapping seasons brought about by a couple of arrogant, know it all biologists, but we must obey them until we can get them changed. If there were no game protectors the violators would run amuck.Most regs are there for good reason.

I respect your reply and thankyou for seeing the big pic.

Nearly every wildlife agency has undergone changes over the last decade. Many name changes and many having to take on other responsibilities to retain funding. It sux for the wildlife and the sportsman as there is less time dedicated to what we really care about. But all those agencies are at the mercy of a state budget office and legislature. Here in Ga DNR, we used to be called the Game & Fish Divison. Then it was changed to Wildlife Resources Division. Recently, LE was pulled out of that division and became the Law Emforcement Division of DNR.

There are several state wildlife agencies that are struggling to maintain their seat at the table.

"A rose by any other name . . ." In other words, it's still a Rose no matter what name it's called. :-)

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7204244
03/04/21 12:16 PM
03/04/21 12:16 PM
S Illinois, former cheesehead
K
Kelly Offline
trapper
Kelly  Offline
trapper
K

S Illinois, former cheesehead
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by Kelly
Swamp, am wanting to go to S GA to bowhunt for hogs on public ground. Couple ? for you. What is legal minimum bow weight for hogs/deer? What license do I need for hogs? Thanks

No poundage limit for bows...used to require 40# min, but that terminology was removed a few years ago. Crossbows are legal. Must use broadheads.

For deer you will need a 1) non-resident hunting license, 2) a non-resident big game license, and 3) a deer harvest record (free).

For hogs only you will need just the non-resident hunting license.

There are one day versions of these licenses and you can add extra days for reasonable price.

Thank you, Sir! Have a great day.

Enjoy Mother Nature's Glory, everyday!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Redknot] #7204245
03/04/21 12:17 PM
03/04/21 12:17 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Redknot
Sorry Swamp, Yes I see your response above mine now...Yes, I guess you could make it eleven minutes, and nice to know you're are shielding your officers from the nonsense!!!

I was responding to your last post but it got deleted...wouldnt let me quote it.

In Ga, we dont have any of the violation codes you listed exxept for shooting from a public road. But I have issued warnings and citations for that one, many times.....depended on the situations and how it went down.

I should be up to 15 min now, eh?

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204250
03/04/21 12:29 PM
03/04/21 12:29 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
At the end of the day the ECO gave Joe 2 tickets when he could have given him 6. Joe needs to stop playing the victim card and comply with the trapping regs as written.

50 years ago many hiking trails looked like cow paths in the Adirondacks.. Parking at a trailhead and using those trails is not the way I would choose to access trapping ground if I wanted to keep my trapping privileges in a blue state. It's really not a good idea in any state.

Last edited by white dog; 03/04/21 12:36 PM.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204256
03/04/21 12:37 PM
03/04/21 12:37 PM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
"A rose by any other name . . ." In other words, it's still a Rose no matter what name it's called. :-)

Well yes and no SJA, as Swamp alludes to, the changing of names is often attached to the funding source...What duties are allowed can be tied to that funding source. For instance, if NYS DEC (or other DNR) chose to purchase a pickup truck with certain Federal funding that funding would dictate how that truck could be used...It can get pretty complicated...

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204257
03/04/21 12:39 PM
03/04/21 12:39 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
I had just moved back to Maine and still had Alaska plates on my truck. I was bowhunting deer, making a stalk on a doe on the edge of a field toward dark. The stalk was unsuccessful and as I was making my way back to my truck the ground in front of me erupted. A warden had being eyeing me the entire time and was hiding under his green coat right in the field. I all but stepped on him. After a short discussion he informed me he could cite me for twilight hunting. I explained to him how it was legal to hunt in Alaska any time, day or night, so long as artificial light wasn't involved and that was still fresh in my mind. Having the nonresident license and my explanation got me off the hook. He told me to read the regs and we parted company.

Fast forward a month. I'm bowhunting again. I've been bowhunting the entire month of October and now it's the last Saturday of the month. The last Saturday of the month is residents only day of firearms season. My archery license was good for October and November deer hunting but not for that one Saturday. I came out of the woods just after dark and there is the same warden waiting on me at my truck. He asks me to walk him back to my stand which I agree to do. We get the stand and he comments that it looks like a great spot and we head back to the road. Once we're back at the truck he informs me he can cite me for twilight hunting or hunting as a nonresident on residents only day hunting. Which would I prefer? Anyone who bow hunts with fiber optic sights knows they become useless in the woods well before legal shooting light ends. Usually by about ten minutes. I protested that and he said it shouldn't have taken me that long to get back to the road.

He felt compelled to give me ticket having already let me off the hook once. He did cite me though I don't recall which violation we picked. I didn't have any hard feelings toward him and as we parted he once again told me to read the regs.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Redknot] #7204258
03/04/21 12:41 PM
03/04/21 12:41 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Redknot

Well yes and no SJA, as Swamp alludes to, the changing of names is often attached to the funding source...What duties are allowed can be tied to that funding source. For instance, if NYS DEC (or other DNR) chose to purchase a pickup truck with certain Federal funding that funding would dictate how that truck could be used...It can get pretty complicated...

^^^^yep

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204260
03/04/21 12:48 PM
03/04/21 12:48 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Online content
trapper
SJA  Online Content
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Not sure if you understood what I said? The duties may change + / -, but if your a GW, ECO, DCN, DNR, etc. your still in the Natural Resources Field of LE.

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204261
03/04/21 12:50 PM
03/04/21 12:50 PM
Ontario
S
Saskfly Offline
trapper
Saskfly  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario
We have an old boy up here who trapped for a living in the 50-60's and a big portion of his income in the years after that was ADC work. Now our township population is small and everyone knows everyone. This fellow was never pinched with anything and I never saw him break the law but he would tell a whopper of a story, with the best twinkle in his eye. One of those fellows that made you wonder. Well a new warden got assigned to the area and heard the story's about the local trapper. Just doing his job he started following the old fellow around when he was out trapping, just keeping an eye on things, just doing his job. The old fellow did not mind too much deer season was over, winter was settling in and who knows might have needed help getting his truck pulled out. Well this went on all winter and into late summer, the old trapper would be setting a trap and look across the hills and there would be the warden just checking things out. A nod and a smile off they would go!!

Well come fall, the old trappers getting a little perturbed that the warden is still following him around. The trapper had been working on a beaver job for a farmer in the area, the beavers had backed up a good amount of water in a upper field and the plan called for them to tear out the dam that afternoon. To this day that old trapper swears he did not know the warden was in the lower field when he ripped out the dam but he says it with such a twinkle in his eye you cannot help but laugh. That game warden swears up and down that there was not a law the old trapper did not break and knew exactly where he was when that beaver dam let go and swept him back to the road bed.

Two good men and you'll find them both in the legion having a drink some Saturdays. The old trapper usually gets there first followed by the Warden, as always.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204262
03/04/21 12:51 PM
03/04/21 12:51 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
I had just moved back to Maine and still had Alaska plates on my truck. I was bowhunting deer, making a stalk on a doe on the edge of a field toward dark. The stalk was unsuccessful and as I was making my way back to my truck the ground in front of me erupted. A warden had being eyeing me the entire time and was hiding under his green coat right in the field. I all but stepped on him. After a short discussion he informed me he could cite me for twilight hunting. I explained to him how it was legal to hunt in Alaska any time, day or night, so long as artificial light wasn't involved and that was still fresh in my mind. Having the nonresident license and my explanation got me off the hook. He told me to read the regs and we parted company.

Fast forward a month. I'm bowhunting again. I've been bowhunting the entire month of October and now it's the last Saturday of the month. The last Saturday of the month is residents only day of firearms season. My archery license was good for October and November deer hunting but not for that one Saturday. I came out of the woods just after dark and there is the same warden waiting on me at my truck. He asks me to walk him back to my stand which I agree to do. We get the stand and he comments that it looks like a great spot and we head back to the road. Once we're back at the truck he informs me he can cite me for twilight hunting or hunting as a nonresident on residents only day hunting. Which would I prefer? Anyone who bow hunts with fiber optic sights knows they become useless in the woods well before legal shooting light ends. Usually by about ten minutes. I protested that and he said it shouldn't have taken me that long to get back to the road.

He felt compelled to give me ticket having already let me off the hook once. He did cite me though I don't recall which violation we picked. I didn't have any hard feelings toward him and as we parted he once again told me to read the regs.

More "gotcha" bull****! Explain how ANY of that discussion helped maintain or increase the resource?? The "gotcha" things in the above story are so statistically insignificant that there is no impact on the resource. They make wildlife and fisheries students master calculus for a BS degree and then promptly forget how to use such math when they become wildlife cops. Not really their fault because almost all of politicians and bureaucrats who come up with the "law" couldn't do statistical formulas to save their souls, let alone figure out what things truly are important to enforce that make a difference in the resource and those regs are just stupid bs that may occasionally happen but have no real impact in the overall situation. "Follow the science"!! Yeah, right...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204266
03/04/21 12:53 PM
03/04/21 12:53 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Swampy,are you allowed to surf the trapping forums while at work?
You know,like surveillance,lol.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Boco] #7204267
03/04/21 12:57 PM
03/04/21 12:57 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Boco
Swampy,are you allowed to surf the trapping forums while at work?
You know,like surveillance,lol.

Absolutely.

Catchin' poachers is never-ending work and includes many facets.

Facebook has been the downfall of many bragging poachers. But, not by me as I dont have a FB account.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 03/04/21 01:03 PM.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204284
03/04/21 01:31 PM
03/04/21 01:31 PM
new york
H
henpecked1 Offline
trapper
henpecked1  Offline
trapper
H

new york
Joe, i struggled with this as it is an emotional subject for discussion by all the posts.

The bottom line is two violations tickets, One for untagged traps. which you admit to in you write up. you got one ticket instead of 4 tickets. Thorpe recommended an additional tag above the ice on his beaver traps so the CO would not pull up his set., I also know COs do not like unfolding trap tags that are wrapped around the chain, food for thought.

The other is for a baited body griper, which is again true. My opinion is you got off easy. A martens head would fit in that trap. Also if you had caught a marten in you body gripper that would have been a real big issue.

You received a 100 dollar fine, similar to a speeding ticket. The judge defaulted to the CO as he probably does not see many case like this.

The CO in my opinion let you off. as you could have got tickets for the other 3 untagged traps.

I think the COs biggest concern was you trapping in areas (trail heads and trails) popular with people that do not understand trapping and he would prefer that tourists not get involved in your activities. You were following the law in this case but if you had caught a dog in an un tagged trap there would have been a bigger issue or if you had set closer to the trail which would have been another violation..

I have talked to alot of COs in my over 50 years of trapping in 4 states, They all seemed very reasonable to me. They are doing a job, are professionally trained and avoid gray areas as much as possible. They have families and lives just as we all do.

You were in the military and know the UCMJ, NYS trapping laws are pretty simple compaired to the UCMJ and alot easier to understand that the trapping regs 40 years ago.

So reduce it down to what it was, a reasonable warning with a small fine, tag all ur taps and do not set baited body grippers when not in accordance with the rule book.. You may want to consider meeting with the CO and talking it out. They are not bad people. I have been to IRAQ I know what bad people are

NYS regs are not that bad.

Stay safe and move forward.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204316
03/04/21 02:24 PM
03/04/21 02:24 PM
Ohio, Old fart to some.
ack Offline
trapper
ack  Offline
trapper

Ohio, Old fart to some.
Although I did not read all the responses I have one concern on tagging traps. I along with another local trapper had beaver permits for the same state property. The other trapper slept in the first morning as I set my kine. The next day he was waiting on me complaining I caught them all in one night. He informed me he had called the W.O. and then left the scene. After checking my traps (2 fifty pounders back packed a 1/4 mile) I was met by the officer at my truck. He mention that he looked my traps over that were in my truck and noticed they were all tagged. I agreed with that and asked why he was only checking e for that alone.
He informed me the other trapper complained I was trapping with untagged traps. At that point the officer said he had no reason to go look at my set traps as there was over a 100 foot traps all with tags in plain sight.
We shook and and departed ways. The next day at the same stop I inspected all 3 traps I had set there. All my tags had been removed.
If the officer had wanted to go check my traps that morning I possibly could have been screwed.

Ps. I will never forget the dirty deal that sob tried to pull on me.
Now every trap has my ID stamped into the frame or trigger.

_________

I used to have superpowers… but a therapist took them away.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204333
03/04/21 02:41 PM
03/04/21 02:41 PM
Chandler,Indiana USA
N
Netman Offline
trapper
Netman  Offline
trapper
N

Chandler,Indiana USA
When stopped by a GW you should think of one thing... what would a hood rat do? He wouldn’t talk, ain’t seen nothing, don’t know nothing and will ask ‘ Am i free to go because if not I want an attorney present’.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: henpecked1] #7204370
03/04/21 03:25 PM
03/04/21 03:25 PM
NY
R
rendezvous Offline
trapper
rendezvous  Offline
trapper
R

NY
Originally Posted by henpecked1
Joe, i struggled with this as it is an emotional subject for discussion by all the posts.

The bottom line is two violations tickets, One for untagged traps. which you admit to in you write up. you got one ticket instead of 4 tickets. Thorpe recommended an additional tag above the ice on his beaver traps so the CO would not pull up his set., I also know COs do not like unfolding trap tags that are wrapped around the chain, food for thought.

The other is for a baited body griper, which is again true. My opinion is you got off easy. A martens head would fit in that trap. Also if you had caught a marten in you body gripper that would have been a real big issue.

You received a 100 dollar fine, similar to a speeding ticket. The judge defaulted to the CO as he probably does not see many case like this.

The CO in my opinion let you off. as you could have got tickets for the other 3 untagged traps.

I think the COs biggest concern was you trapping in areas (trail heads and trails) popular with people that do not understand trapping and he would prefer that tourists not get involved in your activities. You were following the law in this case but if you had caught a dog in an un tagged trap there would have been a bigger issue or if you had set closer to the trail which would have been another violation..

I have talked to alot of COs in my over 50 years of trapping in 4 states, They all seemed very reasonable to me. They are doing a job, are professionally trained and avoid gray areas as much as possible. They have families and lives just as we all do.

You were in the military and know the UCMJ, NYS trapping laws are pretty simple compaired to the UCMJ and alot easier to understand that the trapping regs 40 years ago.

So reduce it down to what it was, a reasonable warning with a small fine, tag all ur taps and do not set baited body grippers when not in accordance with the rule book.. You may want to consider meeting with the CO and talking it out. They are not bad people. I have been to IRAQ I know what bad people are

NYS regs are not that bad.

Stay safe and move forward.

I concur and thank you for your service...

Let's go Brandon!
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204450
03/04/21 05:02 PM
03/04/21 05:02 PM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
We had a CO that complained when I called him at 9PM as he had kids. I believe went back to being a cop.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204451
03/04/21 05:04 PM
03/04/21 05:04 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Oh no! The possum police!

DD5F5935-EA28-4BE4-983C-52FC813568DB.jpeg

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204469
03/04/21 05:21 PM
03/04/21 05:21 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
[Linked Image]

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7204480
03/04/21 05:38 PM
03/04/21 05:38 PM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Nice. grin

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread