No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
so how do wildlife officers use social media...? #7204634
03/04/21 08:16 PM
03/04/21 08:16 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
Swamp Wolf admitted on another thread that he was a conservation officer (or whatever they're called in GA). Good to know, I always thought he was a county mounty and not a wildlife cop. Swamp Wolf says he doesn't use facebook for his wildlife investigations but other officers do around the country. I've seen it on a couple of the various Animal Planet "game warden" shows where facebook comes into play. Given Swamp Wolf's comments on that other thread and what I've seen on "reality" tv makes me wonder, "how do wildlife officers use social media...?"

I guess one way is to check it out after they get a complaint or tip. Ok, cool, they get a name to search for on say facebook and check out if that person posts about a certain event or just about hunting, fishing, trapping in general. Still, it sort of makes me wonder if officers then assume anything wildlife associated on that social media presence should be checked out to make sure its legit. I think most LEOs have at least some of that mentality, if they are having an interaction with the public in say a non "public relations" sort of event, they assume there may be something to check out on a person or at least always have their ears and eyes open for anything that might be said, heard, or seen. Ok, I guess they can argue that''s their "job", to pay attention for violations for the law. But it also gets on the slippery slope that the public has to "prove" they are innocent instead of the way that the criminal justice is reported to work, "a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty." Perhaps maybe that's why lawyers and LEOs clash quite a bit.

Ok, what if there is no tip or complaint that has come in but the wildlife officers have this "wonderful" dataset of social media? What's prevents them to take their list of licensed hunters or trappers and start doing random searches on them...? Probably nothing. I suspect that the officers would come back with (and non-social media users), "hey, YOU put it out there in the 'public', I can check it out". I suppose just like a lot of guys check out a hot gal after they've found out a name. Ok, so they find some of the hunters or trappers on their lists have posted photos or stories on say facebook, now how do they use that information? So Bill has nailed a big buck with what he says was with his bow, hmmm, must check it out that he has a bow license at the least or do more work; where was it shot, when, was it over bait, etc. etc? We don't have a big game registration check in system in South Dakota but I suppose in the states that do, its a treasure trove of leads to check out. Same thing for trapping. A guy in MN posts that he's caught a tree mink or fisher during that state's short season so hey, because they are such species of interest in Minnesota, the marten and/or fisher trapper is probably going to get more scrutiny then a coon trapper. The wildlife officers only have so much time, so they probably really target the most "juicy" candidate off of social media (assuming that they're not working off a compliant or tip) but I suspect they probably have "potentials" lined up if they had the time to investigate further. Sort of another way to a police state in my opinion. Tell me how wrong I'm for not trusting "my" employees...?

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204639
03/04/21 08:21 PM
03/04/21 08:21 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
And, I know, I now, "if you have nothing to hide, there's no issue!" Yeah, ok, keep on believing that. I don't like that LEOs consider most of their "employers" potential criminals. If that was the actual truth, then the piddly, "gotcha" "crimes" wouldn't be written up as much as they are. To a lot of LEOs, wildlife cops included, its a game and there are two sides, and if they get a "win", then they're up in the game. Call me twisted, I don't really care. Way too many rules, regulations, and "laws" in this country. The United States wasn't found as an administrative state where the civil employees get much of the power...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204641
03/04/21 08:27 PM
03/04/21 08:27 PM
Norborne MO
B
BBarnes Offline
trapper
BBarnes  Offline
trapper
B

Norborne MO
There’s a lot of wildlife officers and law enforcement on trapperman.

I find your post interesting especially this part

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
And, I know, I now, "if you have nothing to hide, there's no issue!" Yeah, ok, keep on believing that. I don't like that LEOs consider most of their "employers" potential criminals. If that was the actual truth, then the piddly, "gotcha" "crimes" wouldn't be written up as much as they are. To a lot of LEOs, wildlife cops included, its a game and there are two sides, and if they get a "win", then they're up in the game. Call me twisted, I don't really care. Way too many rules, regulations, and "laws" in this country. The United States wasn't found as an administrative state where the civil employees get much of the power...

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204653
03/04/21 08:34 PM
03/04/21 08:34 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Without proof what power do we have really and if your giving the proof away then your “ employees” should look the other way then? Sounds like no matter what is done a argument could be made. LOL

A kid texted me the other day he caught a mink while trapping rats I told him to turn it in and he would be OK, that’s what “employees” should do. IMO

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204656
03/04/21 08:36 PM
03/04/21 08:36 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I bet some people show off their illegal kills on FB.

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: charles] #7204666
03/04/21 08:40 PM
03/04/21 08:40 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by charles

Correct.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204669
03/04/21 08:42 PM
03/04/21 08:42 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
A kid texted me the other day he caught a mink while trapping rats I told him to turn it in and he would be OK, that’s what “employees” should do. IMO

And Law Dog that was the right thing to do but I suspect that there are wildlife officers that would fine that kid even though muskrat seasin is still open and how does one truly keep all now-closed season mink out of a rat trap...?

I bet some people show off their illegal kills on FB

Charles, I'm sure there are plenty of poachers and less flagrant illegal wildlife activity shown on fb. So, what's your point, that criminals DO exist?

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204678
03/04/21 08:47 PM
03/04/21 08:47 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
More going on here then this post I’m guessing?

Jerry Herbst
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204687
03/04/21 08:53 PM
03/04/21 08:53 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
See Law Dog, old habits die hard.

Nope, if I was so inclined, you could check out my LEO record or have your friends do it. I haven't been arrested since I was a juive and haven't paid a fine for a long time as well, I think it would have been a vehicle related. I just like maximum personal freedom and the administrative state clashes with that idea. Given the size of the U.S. and individual state population, there is a need for some administrative state but it can quickly get out of control or at least has the potential. I work for an enitity that writes bad checks all the time but can cover it by printing its own money. However, I don't work for a regulatory agency or law enforcement so my ability to use the administrative state is pretty limited. Not so with other parts of government.

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204691
03/04/21 08:56 PM
03/04/21 08:56 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
I work for an entity that writes bad checks all the time but can cover it by printing its own money.
at least for a while (covering it by printing their own "money")

I'm going to go watch Tucker Carlson while I skin out tow old big coons that finally thawed out. Later.........

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204700
03/04/21 09:02 PM
03/04/21 09:02 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Had a buddy that posted him posing with a bear in the back of a truck and said, “Never know what you’ll find in the woods!”
It wasn’t 2 hours and the local GW with friends was at his house, lol!!
He had a friend that had killed it legally in North Ga where there are bears and a season for them.
So yeah, they monitor FB or someone that doesn’t like him tipped them off. It’s got to the point around here now that folks save their hunting pics and post them more during the Spring and even Summer with limits of ducks, or a turkey, or in another buddies instance, a very nice deer. He also got visited, lol. The buck was mounted on the wall.
One of the many reasons I’m not on Social Media...except here and I know what to post and what not to post and when.

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204706
03/04/21 09:06 PM
03/04/21 09:06 PM
Norborne MO
B
BBarnes Offline
trapper
BBarnes  Offline
trapper
B

Norborne MO
While your out there skinning why don’t you loose that chip you have on your shoulder. It seems that your way of thinking is how certain people get elected to office.

B

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204714
03/04/21 09:09 PM
03/04/21 09:09 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by NonPCfed
See Law Dog, old habits die hard.

Nope, if I was so inclined, you could check out my LEO record or have your friends do it. I haven't been arrested since I was a juive and haven't paid a fine for a long time as well, I think it would have been a vehicle related. I just like maximum personal freedom and the administrative state clashes with that idea. Given the size of the U.S. and individual state population, there is a need for some administrative state but it can quickly get out of control or at least has the potential. I work for an enitity that writes bad checks all the time but can cover it by printing its own money. However, I don't work for a regulatory agency or law enforcement so my ability to use the administrative state is pretty limited. Not so with other parts of government.

Never said anything criminal just said something going on was all I said. I’d start over tomorrow if I was you but you do what you think works the best for you. I’m avoiding dog and pony shows in 2021 nothing personal just what works best for me.

Jerry Herbst
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204717
03/04/21 09:11 PM
03/04/21 09:11 PM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
If one cherishes personal freedoms, Facebook is the last thing to be on.

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204754
03/04/21 09:45 PM
03/04/21 09:45 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

NonPCFed,
You come very close to understanding the role that social media plays in modern wildlife violation investigations.

But there are legal aspects that you didnt mention......its called reasonable suspicion and probable cause.

RS is the terminology that describes facts and/or circumstances that the officer discovered/observed that leads him to believe a crime MAY HAVE BEEN committed. RS is short of the level that probable cause reaches. RS is needed to start an investigation or to conduct a stop.

PC is a set of facts and circumstances that goes beyond RS that causes the officer to believe that a crime HAS BEEN or IS ABOUT TO BE committed. PC is required for an arrest or a charge to be made.

Ex) Seeing pics and comments on social media of three bucks that was posted days before the season legally opened would be RS. The GW takes a closer look at the poster's public FB page. Maybe a name is learned and a location. The guy's info is looked at to see if has a hunting license. He has no valid hunting license...which is PC for a lic charge that may be coming. The officer uses the info (pics and comments) thus far to apply for a search warrant from FB. A judge agrees there is PC for the warrant based on the PC that the pics and comments provided showing the posting date and the comments related to the pics. FB responds to the warrant a few weeks later and provides 1000 pages of the guy's FB page. More PC is obtained from the guy's page related to the deer poaching including the geolocation of where the buck pics were taken. The officer visits these locations and documents more evidence...blood, drag marks, etc. The guy is located and an interview is attempted, but he refuses to admit to anything and tells the GW to leave his property. The officer applies for a search warrant of the guy's residence and outbuildings to locate the deer meat and antlers. An arrest warrant is applied for also. A judge agrees and issues both warrants. Three GWs serve the search warrant, find the deer thats in the pics and secure them. A county deputy stands by to transport the poacher after he is arrested. He is assigned a bond at arrest & booking for three counts of hunting deer out of season. The GW didnt charge him for the lic violation.He dont have anyone to sign his bond so he sits in jail until his buddy drives over the next morning and bonds him out.

That is a fictional story, with extra details, but shows how a GW can use social media. The poacher provided the best evidence in this case....., especially to start the ball rolling.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 03/04/21 09:50 PM.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204756
03/04/21 09:46 PM
03/04/21 09:46 PM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
CO in our area got 6 months off from work using social media - or at least Craigslist. He couldn't get a search warrant for a property he suspected was growing pot. So he put an add on Craigslist for free firewood or free scrap metal or something similar at the suspects address. He then responded to his own add and looked around for the scrap metal or firewood or whatever it was.

We only have a few COs that serve our part of the state. I've met a few, maybe all of them. The rest have been polite, professional, and reasonable. He stood out from the crowd.

-Ryan
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: charles] #7204758
03/04/21 09:47 PM
03/04/21 09:47 PM
Ohio
N
newtoga Offline
trapper
newtoga  Offline
trapper
N

Ohio
Originally Posted by charles

Bobcats are protected in Ohio and people post pictures on FB that they caught and killed. Dumb a~~ es

Last edited by newtoga; 03/04/21 09:47 PM.

lifetime member NTA, OSTA, GTA
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204763
03/04/21 09:50 PM
03/04/21 09:50 PM
Western pa
F
frank1969 Offline
trapper
frank1969  Offline
trapper
F

Western pa
There is a pa warden on this site

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: maintenanceguy] #7204768
03/04/21 09:53 PM
03/04/21 09:53 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
CO in our area got 6 months off from work using social media - or at least Craigslist. He couldn't get a search warrant for a property he suspected was growing pot. So he put an add on Craigslist for free firewood or free scrap metal or something similar at the suspects address. He then responded to his own add and looked around for the scrap metal or firewood or whatever it was.

We only have a few COs that serve our part of the state. I've met a few, maybe all of them. The rest have been polite, professional, and reasonable. He stood out from the crowd.

This was "crossing the line". I agree, he should have been reprimanded..if not terminated. He made up his own PC....not good.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7204777
03/04/21 10:03 PM
03/04/21 10:03 PM
ND
grumley701 Offline
trapper
grumley701  Offline
trapper

ND
Poachers are boasters, bragging within their circle just ain't good enough for some and that makes a CO's job a bit easier.

Pure Blood
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread