No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: ~ADC~] #7205440
03/05/21 02:21 PM
03/05/21 02:21 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I didn't read any of the replies so sorry if this has been said but I bet very few look on any social media to try and find violations, but rather are turned on to violations by internet weasels who can't mind their own business. "Bob said on facebook he shot an elephant and three mice. I know the limit is 2 mice!!! , get him!"

Today most city folks think everything is endangered when most are thriving because of conservation efforts you cant fix the stupid in these people.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7205449
03/05/21 02:30 PM
03/05/21 02:30 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
Theres has been a misconception that wardens can look where they want when they want. No warrant nothin just go and look. Ive heard this for years. Dont be fooled.

DWC- Wasn't there a recent news story that Gov. Kristi had her administration reviewing South Dakota's "open fields" doctrine that allows COs to come search your property because they see (or claim they see) something from the road?

Maybe Swamp Wolf has more skeptical judges down in his parts of GA, but I suspect that most wildlife officers can get judges to sign off on most search warrant appliactions. And most of those search warrants are probably totally justified, but I bet some are fishing expeditions based on what an officer wants to believe. I have a friend that spent 6 months on this county's grand jury. They seldom denied the district attorney from getting indictments for whatever (this was way more than just wildlife crimes). A few times he told me the GJ stood up and pushed back on the DAs, but not very often.

Thats because a grand jury hears only the prosecution's side and then decides if it appears there is enough evidence to go to trial...

...but there is still a trial.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7205452
03/05/21 02:31 PM
03/05/21 02:31 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Back when gas was $4 a gallon our GW’s were limited on the amount of miles they could drive per week . They spent many many hours on the computer cruising sights like this . They found a guy on face book posting a picture of his previous years buck that he had just got back from the taxidermist. The red flag was a 190” deer from Florida. When they looked closer they found that this was an Illinois deer killed on his cousins lease with his cousins buck tag. He had not wanted to spend the $400 for a buck tag and purchased a doe tag so he could hunt without looking over his shoulder. After all if your gonna take vacation to poach a monster you wouldn’t want to be looking over your shoulder the whole time , lol ! It took this guy a year to get caught but thankfully our CPO’s caught him while he was here hunting the following year.
It does not bother me one bit that these folks use social media to catch these low life’s, and they can get on this site and Learn a little more about trapping and trappers. I think it’s a win for both sides !

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: DWC] #7205459
03/05/21 02:35 PM
03/05/21 02:35 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by DWC
Theres has been a misconception that wardens can look where they want when they want. No warrant nothin just go and look. Ive heard this for years. Dont be fooled.

In Ga, GWs are allowed by law to go on property, outside of buildings, without a warrant, in the performance of their duties.

No foolin' ya here in Georgia.

South Dakota? I do not know. But a quick search of SD law would answer that.

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7205483
03/05/21 03:02 PM
03/05/21 03:02 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
This is turning out to be a good soap opera. Lets keep the stories rolling.

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: Northof50] #7205555
03/05/21 04:08 PM
03/05/21 04:08 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Northof50

I could use some help replying to these threads from all those game wardens (retired or not) yall say are on Tman. ClayC is busy scraping pelts...lol

Im not here to "get" anyone. Ive been here 12 years because Im a trapper that is also a GW. Never tried to hide that Im a GW.

Ive had a fantastic career....25 years "boots on the ground" so far....patrolling half a dozen rural counties around the Okefenokee Swamp/walking the fields, woods, river and creek banks/riding the rivers and swamps in a jon boat and riding an ATV for hundreds, if not thousands of miles annually/travelling all over Ga and sometimes the Southeast to assist with everything from mass fatalities (Hurricane Katrina) to civil unrest in Ga cities/meeting some great outdoorsmen & some real (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)es/helping many people in distress/educating hundreds of young hunters and boaters/training new GWs how to catch outlaws from poachers to moonshiners to dope growers/ always trying to enlighten people about the reasons why conservation is so important/have issued 1000's of citations, warnings, and verbal guidance always focusing on the resource damaging and public safety violators and giving folks the benefit of the doubt...believing a "tie goes to the runner".

I have never had to "work" a day since holding up my right hand and being sworn in as a Ga GW. When you love your job its never work. What a great career it is and has been!!!

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7205557
03/05/21 04:09 PM
03/05/21 04:09 PM
IA
T
teepee2 Offline
trapper
teepee2  Offline
trapper
T

IA
Watch how you try to stretch the law. Here we can by our license on line plus we have to report our harvest by phone or on line. One fella went and shot a deer without a license in the afternoon, went and bought his license after legal shooting hours, then reported it on line. The computer thur up the red flag---- The deer was reported before the license was valid, which would of been the next morning.---- DUH.

Last edited by teepee2; 03/05/21 04:16 PM.
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7205561
03/05/21 04:15 PM
03/05/21 04:15 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
I did 32 years of front line policing in rural Ontario and some of my fondest memories are some good partnerships working with COs. Here we team up a lot with game wardens to do joint patrols and joint enforcement efforts. Any I ever worked with were highly dedicated and passionate about their conservation efforts but applied the laws with fairness and common sense. Thanks for all your time and input here Swampy, it's valuable and appreciated and you never get rattled by the occasional goof ball, lol.

Last edited by Crit-R-Dun; 03/05/21 04:18 PM.
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: Northof50] #7205571
03/05/21 04:34 PM
03/05/21 04:34 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Northof50

Did I ever tell the story about the wildlife trooper who shot an illegal moose. Apparently, he was hunting the wrong area. blush

Who is John Galt?
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7205577
03/05/21 04:39 PM
03/05/21 04:39 PM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
They recruit informants every day ,Just got worked by one the other day while coyote hunting question after question .Almost hilarious ,I just tell them what they want to hear and then some !

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7205656
03/05/21 06:13 PM
03/05/21 06:13 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
😆

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7205933
03/05/21 09:58 PM
03/05/21 09:58 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I wouldn’t mess with Swamp. The Oke has gators big enough to eat a full grown man whole and this man plays with them, lol. I don’t mind small gators, but don’t care for the ones that can make you disappear in one bite!! If he’s survived with all those crazies on the East side, then he can’t be half bad.

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7205936
03/05/21 10:01 PM
03/05/21 10:01 PM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
Freedom no longer exists in this country. You are being watched, listened too or both everywhere you go.

And it gets worse everyday.

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7206004
03/05/21 10:58 PM
03/05/21 10:58 PM
Ridgefield, WA
B
Bearguy Offline
trapper
Bearguy  Offline
trapper
B

Ridgefield, WA
Great thread. Brings to mind a story from a long time ago.. I knew a guy who thought feeding his big family wild fish and game on a regular basis was perfectly fine. Mostly because, well, he had a big family. Got caught with one to many deer one evening, and according to him, he became a person of interest to the local GW for ever more. Some time the following winter he was trapping coyotes and was stopped by a Game officer way out in the pucker brush so to speak. The officer ran his info, and found him to be a person of low moral character. The officer asked to look in the tool box in the back of his pickup, my friend said no. I can get a search warrant the officer said. Well go ahead and get one, there's nothing in there illegal and your just wasting your time. Well a judge was found, and another officer showed up with the paper work hours later. The tool box was opened, as were door panels and headliner. Nothing illegal was found. He told me if he had to do it over he would of popped open the tool box, let him look and be on his way. He finally moved out of state.

All you "Woke" people need to go back to sleep!
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7206042
03/05/21 11:18 PM
03/05/21 11:18 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
The tool box was opened, as were door panels and headliner. Nothing illegal was found. He told me if he had to do it over he would of popped open the tool box, let him look and be on his way. He finally moved out of state.

I take it they didn't put his truck back together for him...?

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7206087
03/05/21 11:41 PM
03/05/21 11:41 PM
North Carolina
F
finbar Offline
trapper
finbar  Offline
trapper
F

North Carolina
Your cell phone camera typically includes metadata with the photo, called EXIF data, that can include a gps stamp of where the photo was taken. When you send the picture to someone or post it on the internet, this data is still in the file. You are sharing this data willingly. The govt is not intercepting it . You can remove the EXIF data but I just use a dedicated digital camera.

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7206103
03/05/21 11:48 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
Did you know you can't sell bird nets on ebay...? Maybe illegal in some or most states, maybe some of those regs that aren't in the "book" but show up in administrative code that still can used to fine people. Stinking swallows try to make nests on my front porch brick columns most years, sometimes they're faster than me in building than I'm removing them. So, a few years back a robin built a nest in the angle of my downspout on the house and then later the swallow got a nest 100% done. The swallow nest came down by me in one piece and later after the robins fledged, I didn't see the need for that nest to stay up on my house, so it came down as well. Now I had two different birds nests and thought it might be a neat thing for someone to have so tried offering it on ebay. The ad got shot down several different ways so I figured that 1) there must be a lot of bunny huggers that think selling old annual bid nests is cruelty to the birds, and/or 2) various state or h*** maybe even the feds have "laws" against such, because these birds are migratory. Ok, bird nests became one with nature in the back yard somewhere.

Fast forward to this winter. Leaves have been off of the one smaller tree we have on the street edge and I hadn't noticed that there was a robin's nest in from 2020. So I pulled it out of the tree and lookie, there were still 2 whole eggs in left over from spring, seriously dried out I'm sure and one that had hatched or at least broke in two. I thought that would be a cool thing to give to a kindergarten or 1st grade teacher to show their students. So, I had it in my garage sitting around on a shelf for a couple of months. Towards the end of January, I had my sad coon cubbie incident that some may remember me posting about before I realized that the subject was one that couldn't be discussed. The state guys investigated the event, my cubbie and location were totally legit but the one officer just wanted to see my licenses in person and see me operate a bodygripper so he was coming out the next day. I saw that robin's nest sitting on the shelf and thought, "wow, maybe its verboten for me to have this bird nest and maybe if he saw it, he'd ticket me." So, that bird nest went away as well. That's where we are folks, worrying about a seasonal bird nests made by a tweeter that numbers in the what, hundreds of millions, and only lives probably about a year and half on average. And that's basically the benign administrative state.

Boco, you still know all the wildlife laws 100% that you fall under...?

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: finbar] #7206106
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by finbar
Your cell phone camera typically includes metadata with the photo, called EXIF data, that can include a gps stamp of where the photo was taken. When you send the picture to someone or post it on the internet, this data is still in the file. You are sharing this data willingly. The govt is not intercepting it . You can remove the EXIF data but I just use a dedicated digital camera.

Hush! Lol

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7206111
03/05/21 11:51 PM
03/05/21 11:51 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
Hey, Swamp Wolf, one more question for you. Do you remember the case that made national news a number of years ago about the USFWS team that raided a Maine restaurant to take a very old taxidermy mount (120 or more years old) of a seagull that doesn't exist anymore? Do you think that was a "good score" by the feds...?

Re: so how do wildlife officers use social media...? [Re: NonPCfed] #7206115
03/05/21 11:54 PM
03/05/21 11:54 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
Did you know you can't sell bird nets on ebay...? Maybe illegal in some or most states, maybe some of those regs that aren't in the "book" but show up in administrative code that still can used to fine people. Stinking swallows try to make nests on my front porch brick columns most years, sometimes they're faster than me in building than I'm removing them. So, a few years back a robin built a nest in the angle of my downspout on the house and then later the swallow got a nest 100% done. The swallow nest came down by me in one piece and later after the robins fledged, I didn't see the need for that nest to stay up on my house, so it came down as well. Now I had two different birds nests and thought it might be a neat thing for someone to have so tried offering it on ebay. The ad got shot down several different ways so I figured that 1) there must be a lot of bunny huggers that think selling old annual bid nests is cruelty to the birds, and/or 2) various state or h*** maybe even the feds have "laws" against such, because these birds are migratory. Ok, bird nests became one with nature in the back yard somewhere.

Fast forward to this winter. Leaves have been off of the one smaller tree we have on the street edge and I hadn't noticed that there was a robin's nest in from 2020. So I pulled it out of the tree and lookie, there were still 2 whole eggs in left over from spring, seriously dried out I'm sure and one that had hatched or at least broke in two. I thought that would be a cool thing to give to a kindergarten or 1st grade teacher to show their students. So, I had it in my garage sitting around on a shelf for a couple of months. Towards the end of January, I had my sad coon cubbie incident that some may remember me posting about before I realized that the subject was one that couldn't be discussed. The state guys investigated the event, my cubbie and location were totally legit but the one officer just wanted to see my licenses in person and see me operate a bodygripper so he was coming out the next day. I saw that robin's nest sitting on the shelf and thought, "wow, maybe its verboten for me to have this bird nest and maybe if he saw it, he'd ticket me." So, that bird nest went away as well. That's where we are folks, worrying about a seasonal bird nests made by a tweeter that numbers in the what, hundreds of millions, and only lives probably about a year and half on average. And that's basically the benign administrative state.

Boco, you still know all the wildlife laws 100% that you fall under...?

Seems to me that you and eBay are the only ones worried about your bird nests. You are one paranoid dude.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread