No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Duck recipe [Re: nvwrangler] #7207585
03/07/21 09:06 AM
03/07/21 09:06 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Online content
trapper
Aix sponsa  Online Content
trapper

Louisiana
Applesauce Duck Gravy (Wild Ducks)

Season plucked ducks with salt, red pepper, garlic powder, onion powder. You could do the same with duck breasts.

Brown well on each side on stove in using a thin layer of oil. You want it to have a nice brown outside. You can use a small amount of kitchen bouquet if you choose. I do it both ways, with and without kitchen bouquet—-both are excellent.

You can brown sausage at the same time if you wish, or you can put a piece of smoked sausage inside of each duck, or you can add pieces of smoked sausage later before baking.

Remove ducks, add a splash of water and scrape the bottom of the pot (becomes part of gravy).

Add chopped onions and wilt them. Once onions are wilted, add a tablespoon of applesauce per small duck (teal). A little more if the ducks are large.

Add ducks and pile onions and sauce on ducks. Add a little chicken broth OR water if needed. Add a little smoked sausage and/Tasso, if needed.

Cover Bake at 350-400 until done. Check it during cooking and baste ducks with gravy.

Serve over rice. Delicious. The cayenne pepper and applesauce go together perfectly.

Enjoy!
Jeff

Re: Duck recipe [Re: Aix sponsa] #7207730
03/07/21 11:47 AM
03/07/21 11:47 AM
IA
T
teepee2 Offline
trapper
teepee2  Offline
trapper
T

IA
Sounds like some good recipes, except the ones were you eat the plank. When you eat duck you know you are eating wild, you can't make it taste like chicken. That's fine with me.

Re: Duck recipe [Re: nvwrangler] #7207734
03/07/21 11:49 AM
03/07/21 11:49 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
All look good.For me a crock pot really helps.

Nevada bound
Re: Duck recipe [Re: swift4me] #7207770
03/07/21 12:32 PM
03/07/21 12:32 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
Originally Posted by swift4me
If it is a domestic duck just roast it like a chicken with a light stuffing with herbs. Serve it with garlic mashed potatoes and he'll be happy. Domestic ducks give off a lot of fat so you can make a good sauce from that with some shallots and garlic and a bit of red wine reduced while the duck cools off.
Anybody who doesn't like wild duck either has bad ducks or overcooks them.
Good luck. Pete

I have ate a lot of wild duck and goose and only ever had domestic duck once. It was in a small town out of Mont-de-Marsan. It was very good and what I saw of it the French eat more domestic duck than we do here.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Duck recipe [Re: nvwrangler] #7207900
03/07/21 01:47 PM
03/07/21 01:47 PM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Online content
trapper
swift4me  Online Content
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
MJM..... funny thing I was in Mont de Marsan two days ago. Yes, we eat a lot of ducks here but most are fattened ducks to make foie gras, the corn fed livers. They sell the breasts and legs separately for making duck confit.

The air base there is still active. I saw a couple of Rafales, the best fighter jet the French have. It's a serious tool.

Pete

Re: Duck recipe [Re: nvwrangler] #7207974
03/07/21 02:57 PM
03/07/21 02:57 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY

Re: Duck recipe [Re: swift4me] #7207993
03/07/21 03:14 PM
03/07/21 03:14 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
Originally Posted by swift4me
MJM..... funny thing I was in Mont de Marsan two days ago. Yes, we eat a lot of ducks here but most are fattened ducks to make foie gras, the corn fed livers. They sell the breasts and legs separately for making duck confit.
The air base there is still active. I saw a couple of Rafales, the best fighter jet the French have. It's a serious tool.
Pete

I worked on the base for it seems like 69 days in support of Kosovo. We had KC-135's there. A air re-fueler. They had been there close to a month when I got there. It was a good TDY.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Duck recipe [Re: nvwrangler] #7208003
03/07/21 03:32 PM
03/07/21 03:32 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
I had a bad experience with duck once. My mother and I had taken a tour of Europe in about 1981. Part of our vacation package was meals. In Paris they took our tour group to a restaurant one night. Typical 3 choices for entrees , beef , fish , poultry. I chose the poultry , in that case , duck. Our meals arrived and we all started eating.

I was eating the duck and after a bit chewed down on something hard. I thought it was a bone. As I pulled it out of my mouth I found out it was a metal brad about ¾" long. It was blackened and rusty due to age. Found about 5-6 more in the bird and the flesh around them was rust stained. Another person at our table found a couple too. We informed the waitstaff who immediately wanted to replace our selections with another entree of our choice but I kinda lost my appetite after that.

Odd thing was these brads were in the meat/flesh of the duck so it wasn't something they ate that went into their digestive tract. Only thing I could think of was someone had shot at these ducks with hand loaded shotgun rounds loaded with brads and they survived. I don't know if the ducks were wild harvested or farmed.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Duck recipe [Re: nvwrangler] #7208045
03/07/21 04:21 PM
03/07/21 04:21 PM
49th State
M
mad_mike Online content
trapper
mad_mike  Online Content
trapper
M

49th State
Boil them in gasoline. Fowl!

Re: Duck recipe [Re: teepee2] #7208194
03/07/21 06:50 PM
03/07/21 06:50 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Online content
trapper
Aix sponsa  Online Content
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by teepee2
Sounds like some good recipes, except the ones were you eat the plank. When you eat duck you know you are eating wild, you can't make it taste like chicken. That's fine with me.

Try my recipe. People were just about licking the bowls. It gets rid of the strong game flavor. Using Apple for ducks is a well known trick. However, it takes a long time to really cook down apples to the point of doing what apple sauce does almost immediately.

Also worth noting, I bleed my ducks for several days. I put them in a tea pitcher of water in the refrigerator. Each day I change the water.

It’s a delicious way to eat ducks

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread