No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: This will probably be axed [Re: SJA] #7209235
03/08/21 02:23 PM
03/08/21 02:23 PM
Lufkin, Tx.
L
Lufkin Trapper Offline
trapper
Lufkin Trapper  Offline
trapper
L

Lufkin, Tx.
Originally Posted by SJA
Originally Posted by Canvasback2
Speaking of old writings, what does everyone think of the writings of Nostradamus ? Are his predictions accurate, or just made up ?

Nostradamus's writings, Cayce's, and many others "predictions" have been manipulated over the years to conjure one's own thoughts of prophecy.

I think they are just going back after an incident and finding some "vague" inference to something that "might" be related to that incident.

Billy
Member # 16.
Re: This will probably be axed [Re: PAskinner] #7210149
03/09/21 11:18 AM
03/09/21 11:18 AM
Flint Hills, KS
J
jht Offline
trapper
jht  Offline
trapper
J

Flint Hills, KS
Originally Posted by PAskinner
Originally Posted by cowboy2005
But I'm taking a swing at a free vacation anyhow.
Ok, atheists why do you not say "oh my evolution" or "what the absolutely nothing after death"
God and hades are a part of religion!
I'm not intentionally trying to start anything, although I'm aware I probably will if this doesn't get axed.
Anyway this was meant as more of a joke or a light hearted question, don't let it stick it to your heart!
Have a good night guys

This is absolutely true. No one says " Oh my" and inserts their own name. They use God's name. If God doesn't exist, that makes no sense.
Everyone uses h ell, even though they claim not to believe in it. I think people actually do know there's a God and a he ll.

I used to go fishing with a man that used his own name in an exclamatory fashion similar to what you described. Any time he'd make a mistake, usually while at the tiller and attempting to back-troll, he'd get frustrated and yell, "Robert!" His name soon became our choice curse-word during our annual walleye week in Ontario.

Looks like James and slydogx have satisfactorily answered the original question. Language is like a palimpsest, revealing elements of cultural history just behind the realities of everyday use. That's especially true with idioms or colloquialisms. We all use language that doesn't really make any practical sense in our everyday lives, but it does communicate the ideas or feelings that we wish to express.

Re: This will probably be axed [Re: James] #7210247
03/09/21 12:55 PM
03/09/21 12:55 PM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
Originally Posted by James
The words are also part of our language, regardless of religion.

Jim

Like "their not going to take your guns "

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: This will probably be axed [Re: elkaholic] #7210257
03/09/21 01:01 PM
03/09/21 01:01 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted by elkaholic
Asking for an "invoice" of income used to be an old timey thing so that they made sure you gave your 10%. The church my wife grew up in still did a basically similar thing until the mid 90's. Her grandfather was pushing 90 and couldn't make it to church anymore, and was on a fixed income so he wasn't tithing as much as before. Sometimes he would go months without because he was trying to buy food and such. The church sent a person out to talk to him and told him if he didn't start giving regularly he wouldn't be able to have a funeral mass in the church when he died. He told them to send a priest out to tell him that and not some lackey.

A couple days later a priest and some higher ups came out to talk to him. He told them to shove their tithings and goofy rules up under their robes. Then he wrote a letter to the editor to the paper detailing all they had said to him. The diocese got involved and denied it. The local radio station came out and interviewed him, and he played the audio recording he made of them outlining everything that he wouldn't get when he passed. It also had in it about how hypocritical the church was with talking about gambling and drinking being so bad, then holding this giant festival once a year that was nothing but a big gambling and drinking party, and having bingo every week.

Talk about back pedaling. The church couldn't get out from under it quick enough. Offered to pay for his funeral and cemetery plot. He told them thanks but no thanks and gave all his money to the local VFW/Legion.

We still get envelopes for my MIL to send in her offering. She hasn't been to church in close to 15 years, but they keep asking for money.

That's a good example of a false religion, not a Bible church.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: This will probably be axed [Re: Posco] #7210310
03/09/21 01:52 PM
03/09/21 01:52 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by Squash
And not all Christians are true Christians.

I know of no fake Muslim. You're either Muslim or you're not. The same can't be said of being a Christian.

True. But, I don't know of any Christian who kills you for not being a Christian.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: This will probably be axed [Re: cowboy2005] #7210384
03/09/21 03:11 PM
03/09/21 03:11 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Crusades might be a good example!

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: This will probably be axed [Re: cowboy2005] #7210460
03/09/21 04:45 PM
03/09/21 04:45 PM
Indiana
H
Huntall76 Offline
trapper
Huntall76  Offline
trapper
H

Indiana
Why did God have to just pick Moses to give everyone the ten commandments? Being all powerful and being all places all the time couldn't he have just told every human in person so to speak at the same time? I mean why leave something so important to one person to spread to the whole of humanity? Doesn't seem logical or efficient. If God really wanted all his children to know the word of God why would he only tell a few and hope it gets to a small indigenous tribe in Africa before they die not knowing the lord and are dammed for all eternity.

I would love to hear a educated answer other than that's his plan or he works in mysterious ways.

Re: This will probably be axed [Re: Huntall76] #7210495
03/09/21 05:13 PM
03/09/21 05:13 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
Originally Posted by Huntall76
Why did God have to just pick Moses to give everyone the ten commandments? Being all powerful and being all places all the time couldn't he have just told every human in person so to speak at the same time? I mean why leave something so important to one person to spread to the whole of humanity? Doesn't seem logical or efficient. If God really wanted all his children to know the word of God why would he only tell a few and hope it gets to a small indigenous tribe in Africa before they die not knowing the lord and are dammed for all eternity.

I would love to hear a educated answer other than that's his plan or he works in mysterious ways.

Have you ever asked God that question or just a bunch of hillbillies on Tman?

Cold as ice!
Re: This will probably be axed [Re: Huntall76] #7210527
03/09/21 05:52 PM
03/09/21 05:52 PM
Southeast Ohio
amspoker Offline
trapper
amspoker  Offline
trapper

Southeast Ohio

If someone kills you, steals your car, and runs off with your wife, do you really need Moses to tell you that's wrong?

The second greatest commandment is to "love your neighbor as yourself", to treat others as you want to be treated.

One really shouldn't have to read the Bible to figure that part out.

If one does at least that, I think they will find it will pay them back, one way or another.

Last edited by amspoker; 03/09/21 09:28 PM.

Levi
Re: This will probably be axed [Re: Canvasback2] #7210585
03/09/21 07:04 PM
03/09/21 07:04 PM
wisconsin
cowboy2005 Offline OP
trapper
cowboy2005  Offline OP
trapper

wisconsin
Originally Posted by Canvasback2
Here is one for ya.

Why is it that the Church DEMANDS you show PROOF OF INCOME, and then they DEMAND you give a certain amount EACH WEEK TO THE CHURCH ??

Passing the plate around THREE TIMES ON SUNDAY !!

As my Father said many years ago, ' THIS IS WHY I DON'T LIKE GOING TO CHURCH. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY !! "

Thats catholics

Re: This will probably be axed [Re: Huntall76] #7210706
03/09/21 08:19 PM
03/09/21 08:19 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware

People look for "leaders" and God favored Moses among them. Do some research on Moses and you will find your answer. :-)

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: This will probably be axed [Re: Jurassic Park] #7210716
03/09/21 08:27 PM
03/09/21 08:27 PM
Moscow ,Ohio
U
uglyduck Offline
trapper
uglyduck  Offline
trapper
U

Moscow ,Ohio
Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

Have you ever asked God that question or just a bunch of hillbillies on Tman?

2X!

Re: This will probably be axed [Re: cowboy2005] #7210749
03/09/21 09:02 PM
03/09/21 09:02 PM

B
bleeohio
Unregistered
bleeohio
Unregistered
B

What year is it? whistle

Re: This will probably be axed [Re: cowboy2005] #7210755
03/09/21 09:10 PM
03/09/21 09:10 PM
Moscow ,Ohio
U
uglyduck Offline
trapper
uglyduck  Offline
trapper
U

Moscow ,Ohio
Originally Posted by cowboy2005
But I'm taking a swing at a free vacation anyhow.
Ok, atheists why do you not say "oh my evolution" or "what the absolutely nothing after death"
God and hades are a part of religion!
I'm not intentionally trying to start anything, although I'm aware I probably will if this doesn't get axed.
Anyway this was meant as more of a joke or a light hearted question, don't let it stick it to your heart!
Have a good night guys

my great grand father said their was nothing in the bible he couldn't read in a news paper,when his time was up ,he left this world crying like a baby afraid of the dark. so i will stick with guns and religion.hope to die with my boots on.

Re: This will probably be axed [Re: Huntall76] #7210768
03/09/21 09:21 PM
03/09/21 09:21 PM
Norborne MO
B
BBarnes Offline
trapper
BBarnes  Offline
trapper
B

Norborne MO

I thought about answering your questions but have a feeling you wouldn’t except the answer so,
My advise would be for you to read your Bible. In fact why don’t you take the Bible in one year challenge. You will find the answers to the questions your asking and more.

B

Re: This will probably be axed [Re: cowboy2005] #7210803
03/09/21 10:15 PM
03/09/21 10:15 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Nostradamus's writings, Cayce's, and many others "predictions" have been manipulated over the years to conjure one's own thoughts of prophecy.

That statement is truth for EVERY prophet. Its why they all spoke in riddles with vagueness.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: This will probably be axed [Re: danny clifton] #7210819
03/09/21 10:29 PM
03/09/21 10:29 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by danny clifton

That statement is truth for EVERY prophet. Its why they all spoke in riddles with vagueness.

No. A Prophet is one who has been given insight by God, not just someone who "predicts" the future on other basis.

Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: This will probably be axed [Re: cowboy2005] #7210838
03/09/21 10:44 PM
03/09/21 10:44 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
You mean like David Wilkerson? What about Sitting Bull?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: This will probably be axed [Re: cowboy2005] #7210845
03/09/21 10:56 PM
03/09/21 10:56 PM
Indiana
H
Huntall76 Offline
trapper
Huntall76  Offline
trapper
H

Indiana
So far I've gotten

(2x) Have you ever asked God that question.....i did just now and I got no answer so I left a message and callback number.

Basically, do you need Moses to know right from wrong...... No my mom taught me those things.

People look for leaders..... wouldn't God be the best leader?

What year is it..... i was referring to biblical times not modern age. How long after the Bible was written did it take to reach all people?

I thought about answering your questions..... obviously didn't have a good answer because you didn't.

And read the Bible..... which i have done, 1 full time and halfway through a second time . This question is not asked or answered anywhere from what i remember.

I am in no way degrading,belittling,frowning upon or questioning anyone's faith or religion. I'm just asking a question because how it was done makes no sense to me. Heck when I want to have a poker game I don't let everyone know one at a time or call one person and tell them to tell everyone else, I just send a group text and they get the information directly from me at the same time and I'm not all powerful all knowing and everywhere all the time.... I just have a cell phone.

Re: This will probably be axed [Re: danny clifton] #7210847
03/09/21 10:57 PM
03/09/21 10:57 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by danny clifton
You mean like David Wilkerson? What about Sitting Bull?

Yes. They predicted, not prophesied.

Dr. Phillip Snow
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread