No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Opening a Bait & Tackle/Hunting Supply Business [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7211188
03/10/21 01:03 PM
03/10/21 01:03 PM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
A little late to the party but here's my experience,
I provided bait to 6 shops for awhile. None of the owners ever fished or hunted again after opening.. paid employees were rare, mostly cause they stole, Family help was also rare, too many hours at too low of pay.
Customers would show up for live bait, but most bought their equipment from Walmart or the Internet, then brag about how much they saved..to you.
Most of the owners became grumpy old men, lol

The deer cooler idea sounds like it could pay, especially if you have set hours for drop off and pickup, with no processing.

I'd sleep real hard on it before making a decision. YMMV Good luck with whatever you decide

Re: Opening a Bait & Tackle/Hunting Supply Business [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7211218
03/10/21 01:32 PM
03/10/21 01:32 PM
CO
R
Ringneck1 Offline
trapper
Ringneck1  Offline
trapper
R

CO

[/quote]
Business may not be good with the outlaws, because I refuse to put money ahead of ethics and sportsmanship. Not concerned about a kids shining/shooting a few coons, but a grown man ought to follow the rules. I do.

If I follow thru with this business.....the honest law-abiding folks are welcome. The poachers can shop elsewhere if theyre concerned about dealing with me & what I've spent my entire life promoting. The language filter on Tman wont let me say what I want to type right now...[/quote]

SW, I like those principles and would buy from you. the store i see you opening is one i have driven miles to shop at in ND, SD, KS etc. Where personal service is the most common good on the shelf. But then again I am pretty much law n order driven, regardless of whether that is game and fish related or otherwise. The thing that would worry me is the relatively small margins on sporting equipment. Friends in the business tell me that's why the big stores eventually become clothing stores. Good luck to you, and congrats on what I assume has been a fine career.

Re: Opening a Bait & Tackle/Hunting Supply Business [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7211269
03/10/21 02:03 PM
03/10/21 02:03 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Ringneck1

SW, I like those principles and would buy from you. the store i see you opening is one i have driven miles to shop at in ND, SD, KS etc. Where personal service is the most common good on the shelf. But then again I am pretty much law n order driven, regardless of whether that is game and fish related or otherwise. The thing that would worry me is the relatively small margins on sporting equipment. Friends in the business tell me that's why the big stores eventually become clothing stores. Good luck to you, and congrats on what I assume has been a fine career.

Thankyou Ringneck1!
If you're ever passing thru the deep south...look me up.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Opening a Bait & Tackle/Hunting Supply Business [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7211483
03/10/21 06:20 PM
03/10/21 06:20 PM
CO
R
Ringneck1 Offline
trapper
Ringneck1  Offline
trapper
R

CO
You know it SW! One of these springs you will get a pm from me looking for some local fishing info.

Best regards

Re: Opening a Bait & Tackle/Hunting Supply Business [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7211591
03/10/21 07:54 PM
03/10/21 07:54 PM
PA
M
marathonman Offline
trapper
marathonman  Offline
trapper
M

PA
I know from your posts on here that you know hunt,fish,trap in and out.and honest..It would be a breath of fresh air in the outdoor sporting good business today.I wish you well Swampwolf in any of your endeavors..

Re: Opening a Bait & Tackle/Hunting Supply Business [Re: marathonman] #7211905
03/10/21 11:27 PM
03/10/21 11:27 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

Originally Posted by marathonman
I know from your posts on here that you know hunt,fish,trap in and out.and honest..It would be a breath of fresh air in the outdoor sporting good business today.I wish you well Swampwolf in any of your endeavors..

Thank you marathonman!!!

This b&t/deer cooler/supply store idea is one of a few ideas that I could make happen after retirement in a year and a half.....thanks to 2 of my sons...one son is buying the building and another wants to provide 10 grand to stock it.

One other idea is to begin advertising my beaver/predator control business acoss south GA and north FL. I don't even advertise now and have times thruout the year when I cant get to all the jobs (esp. beaver work) while working full time in my real job.

I'll likely end up doing both...if my bride will help me.....

Re: Opening a Bait & Tackle/Hunting Supply Business [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7211908
03/10/21 11:31 PM
03/10/21 11:31 PM
Chandler,Indiana USA
N
Netman Offline
trapper
Netman  Offline
trapper
N

Chandler,Indiana USA
Sell beer, lottery tickets and cigarettes. With those three bringing in money you can dabble in the sporting goods. Set it up to be a convenient store/sporting goods. Sell quick buy food.

Re: Opening a Bait & Tackle/Hunting Supply Business [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7211963
03/11/21 01:02 AM
03/11/21 01:02 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Get some strippers in too.
As a stimulus for buisness.

Last edited by Boco; 03/11/21 01:03 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Opening a Bait & Tackle/Hunting Supply Business [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7212216
03/11/21 11:24 AM
03/11/21 11:24 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
"Get some strippers in too."

Lol, I used to suggest one of my shops to hire a few good looking barmaids to handle the morning rush, You'd of had to get the cops there to handle the traffic... grin

Re: Opening a Bait & Tackle/Hunting Supply Business [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7212220
03/11/21 11:28 AM
03/11/21 11:28 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
There was a deer processing place here that had girls doing the skinning at one time. There was a line waiting to pull into that place, lol.

Re: Opening a Bait & Tackle/Hunting Supply Business [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7212221
03/11/21 11:29 AM
03/11/21 11:29 AM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
As a teen I worked my way through high school working at a hunting and fishing store in small town Ontario. We had bar stools at our gun/reel repair counter for the ol' timers to come in for coffee. The owner had a barber chair installed and invited a local young lady starting out as a hair cutter to get her start. It was a great idea and a win/win. Not as fun as strippers might have been but probably more practical.

Re: Opening a Bait & Tackle/Hunting Supply Business [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7212385
03/11/21 02:38 PM
03/11/21 02:38 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
Back in the late 80's then again 2-3 years ago I wanted to open what your talking about. First one was right on the Miss. river at the state line. Second one was in Southern Il. on a large lake with lots of camping and fishing. Either site should have been good to go. here is what I found.

It will take at least 250 grand to open. With the displays, stock, equipment, hired help and advertising. Now with that said I was going for a "one stop get all" type place. Fuel, food, tackle, camping supplies, hunting supplies, bait....etc etc etc.

Second was the time it will consume. Ya have to be there to watch over and run things from the start. IMO not a good retirement gig.

One of my ideas was to only stock American made equipment and advertise it hard. LOL You can stock on 1-2 shelves what you can buy American made. There is very little tackle made here anymore. That goes for camping equipment also.

I would love to have such a place, been a dream all my life, but no way now, not this ole boy. I have found other ways to keep myself busy, make a buck, and work at my own pace.

Re: Opening a Bait & Tackle/Hunting Supply Business [Re: il.trapper] #7212452
03/11/21 03:35 PM
03/11/21 03:35 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

Originally Posted by il.trapper
Back in the late 80's then again 2-3 years ago I wanted to open what your talking about. First one was right on the Miss. river at the state line. Second one was in Southern Il. on a large lake with lots of camping and fishing. Either site should have been good to go. here is what I found.

It will take at least 250 grand to open. With the displays, stock, equipment, hired help and advertising. Now with that said I was going for a "one stop get all" type place. Fuel, food, tackle, camping supplies, hunting supplies, bait....etc etc etc.

Second was the time it will consume. Ya have to be there to watch over and run things from the start. IMO not a good retirement gig.

One of my ideas was to only stock American made equipment and advertise it hard. LOL You can stock on 1-2 shelves what you can buy American made. There is very little tackle made here anymore. That goes for camping equipment also.

I would love to have such a place, been a dream all my life, but no way now, not this ole boy. I have found other ways to keep myself busy, make a buck, and work at my own pace.

Fuel can be purchased about a block away. Dollar General is directly across the street. My idea for this is not a 1/4 of a million $$ operation. The building and land is in place and will be paid for. It is about 1500 sq ft on a 1/4 acre lot right on the main highway and is one block from my residence. Not going to be a large money making deal but I think it will do OK...once cooler is up and running in the fall.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 03/11/21 03:36 PM. Reason: Spelling

Re: Opening a Bait & Tackle/Hunting Supply Business [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7212462
03/11/21 03:58 PM
03/11/21 03:58 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Parking can also be an issue one seldom can foresee. Only takes one Dillweed to really toss a wrench in that.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Opening a Bait & Tackle/Hunting Supply Business [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7212464
03/11/21 04:00 PM
03/11/21 04:00 PM
central mn
R
rats4me Offline
trapper
rats4me  Offline
trapper
R

central mn
I think the cooler thing might be a good idea for where you are at. As far as the bait and tackle part my family was in the wholesale bait business for 35 years and we supplied bait to several bait shops at one time but things have changed over the years. There are very few true bait and tackle shops up here anymore. Most are now convience stores selling bait and some tackle as a sideline.
What might be a option if you want to dabble in the bait part is to put up a self serve area in your shop. A few up here do it and said most are pretty honest . I don't know if you have a well at the location or are hooked up to city water. If it's city water you will need a filtration system to remove the chlorine from the water. My advice would be start small and work into it. Good luck!

Even a blind chicken gets some corn
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread