Trap Collecting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~

Print Thread
Hop To
Biedermann Wood Killer #7213448
03/12/21 01:25 PM
03/12/21 01:25 PM
Iowa
P
PaulB Offline OP
trapper
PaulB  Offline OP
trapper
P

Iowa
In the early 1960’s my father-in-law and I built 25 of these traps,,,we used them on a large private marsh in northwest iowato trap muskrat,,they were successful but a real pain to set and place while trapping out of a boat,,,they were extremely strong and although they did not break the skin the muskrat litterly came apart in two pieces when we skinned them,,we coiled our own springs and hand made the jaws and other parts,,we used what was available for bases and used 1x8. And 2x8 lumber,,,these are listed as Biedermann Wood Killers on page 13 of Andreski and Parr’s book,,,altho my father-in-law was the main contributor to the project,,these are the only two I have left,,,The first one I ever sold was to Bill Frendack from New York ,,,I know I sold a few others but don’t remember to who,,,we also made a few with 2 laths attached to the trigger end to push into a rat house but they are all long gone,,,these are not for sale,,,my father-in-laws brother made us a jig,,,he called it,,,to coil the springs and bend and punch the jaws,,

[Linked Image]

Last edited by PaulB; 03/13/21 12:51 AM.

Re: Biedermann Wood Killer [Re: PaulB] #7213555
03/12/21 04:20 PM
03/12/21 04:20 PM
revillo, sd
C
cohunt Offline
trapper
cohunt  Offline
trapper
C

revillo, sd
Thanks for the post and pics PaulB. I have only owned one of those large size snap traps of yours. At the first NTA that I attended in Escanaba about 10 years ago, some fellows from Spirit Lake area were set up selling mostly used traps and they had one that they had purchased from you at either your yard sale or a gun show. I bought it from them and was walking back towards my booth set up across from Tom Parrs booth when Terry Swartz from PA spotted your trap in my hand and insisted he needed to take it home with him and I let him do so.

Re: Biedermann Wood Killer [Re: PaulB] #7213626
03/12/21 05:52 PM
03/12/21 05:52 PM
NY
R
rendezvous Offline
trapper
rendezvous  Offline
trapper
R

NY
Very cool traps and great story behind them! I wanted to try to make some for weasel trapping. Maybe even a larger version of the "Last Word" mouse trap for weasel?

If you don't mind me asking, what technique did you use to make the coils and the trap jaws?

Let's go Brandon!
Re: Biedermann Wood Killer [Re: PaulB] #7213650
03/12/21 06:22 PM
03/12/21 06:22 PM
North Cass Co. Minnesota
DiggerDale Offline
trapper
DiggerDale  Offline
trapper

North Cass Co. Minnesota
I noticed the Biederman trap in the collectors guide but never connected it to you Paul. My Gosh !!! You are famous. I'll have to get your autograph next time we meet.... grin

You need to post a pic of yours next to a mouse trap for size comparison....

Re: Biedermann Wood Killer [Re: DiggerDale] #7214039
03/13/21 12:45 AM
03/13/21 12:45 AM
Iowa
P
PaulB Offline OP
trapper
PaulB  Offline OP
trapper
P

Iowa
Originally Posted by DiggerDale
I noticed the Biederman trap in the collectors guide but never connected it to you Paul. My Gosh !!! You are famous. I'll have to get your autograph next time we meet.... grin

Any time Dale,,,But I would rather have your autograph,,,on a check,,,,, grin,grin,,,,these are 16” long

You need to post a pic of yours next to a mouse trap for size comparison....

Last edited by PaulB; 03/13/21 12:48 AM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  snakecollector