No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Patterdale Terrier #7214898
03/13/21 10:09 PM
03/13/21 10:09 PM
NM
R
RFrame Offline OP
trapper
RFrame  Offline OP
trapper
R

NM
Anybody have any experience or owned a Patterdale? I’m thinking about getting a pup for a truck and trapline dog. I currently have a male hangin tree cowdog that goes with me everywhere but have always wanted a Patterdale cause they are supposed to be high energy maniacs like I was when I was younger.

Re: Patterdale Terrier [Re: RFrame] #7214910
03/13/21 10:15 PM
03/13/21 10:15 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I went coon hunting with a grand nite champion hound and two patterdales about three years ago. The hound was treeing coons one right after the other. The patterdales would run to the tree so they could rip up the coons we shot out. They also killed what sounded like two coons in a beaver lodge. I dont know what else they killed. Possums and packrats that i know of. While the hound was looking for a coon they just ran around killing everything else they could find. I honestly believe they would attack a grizzly bear. If you get one you will likely have to jump in a fight to save your dog once in a while.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Patterdale Terrier [Re: RFrame] #7214917
03/13/21 10:20 PM
03/13/21 10:20 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
What Danny said is all truth. I got a male Pat this last fall, and I swear he is just one step from being insane! Go a hundred MPH, and have no quit in them!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Patterdale Terrier [Re: RFrame] #7215018
03/14/21 12:19 AM
03/14/21 12:19 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
If you get a patterdale, take a good shovel with you when you hunt with it. Patterdales were a breed I seriously considered getting. If you get one, please let us know how it turns out.

Keith

Re: Patterdale Terrier [Re: RFrame] #7215058
03/14/21 01:31 AM
03/14/21 01:31 AM
Europe
P
Pest's Dad Offline
trapper
Pest's Dad  Offline
trapper
P

Europe
Anyone remember that fad for crossing them with Pit Bull's? Called them " Pitapats ". Last I heard, they were trying to figure a way of slamming the lid shut on Pita Pandora's Box.

Re: Patterdale Terrier [Re: RFrame] #7215521
03/14/21 03:00 PM
03/14/21 03:00 PM
NM
R
RFrame Offline OP
trapper
RFrame  Offline OP
trapper
R

NM
Thanks for the info. I’ve read up on them a lot and had a buddy that was really looking into getting one but never did. I found some Patterdale pups in Oklahoma that are supposed to be out of some good hunting dogs. I’m gonna send the guy a deposit tomorrow and pick the pup up around April 1 when I’m out there buying show pigs.

I had some decent hounds a few years back and caught a few mountain lions and bobcats but sold them and gave them away due to a lack of time to hunt. I’m wanting to get some hunting dogs again so I’m on a quest to put together some dogs that will consistently catch bobcats which is hard to do in this area. Around here you can look for a mountain lion track for 7 days and maybe 1 out of 7 days you’ll find a runnable track that somebody hasn’t already beat you to. I can go out on a fresh snow and cut 5 to 10 fresh bobcat tracks, but when I would turn my hounds loose the cat would get to the rocks and hole up before the hounds put enough pressure on them to get them up a tree. I hunt in a lot of sandstone rimrock with lots of big car size and bigger boulders, plenty of holes for a cat to hide in. I like watching dogs hunt so I got to where I’d turn loose on bobcats but most the time the dogs would lose the cat in the rocks.

Right now I’m waiting on a Ladner bred BMC pup coming from Paul Hillis sometime in late June. I’m also waiting on a Kemmer cur pup from a guy in Louisiana that runs coons and cats with them, and I’m on a year long waiting list for a original mountain cur pup from Wyoming out of proven lion and bobcat dogs. I’m thinking that these cur dogs won’t be as open on a track as hounds are and will be able to get closer to the cat before he knows they’re trailing him and either get him up a tree or down a hole. If he gets in the rocks in a hole I can send the Patterdale in to get the cat out of the hole. That’s my reasoning for wanting a Patterdale pup. I am a little worried about sending a dog into a small hole in between rocks that they might not be able to get back out of. A shovel wouldn’t be much help in the stuff I’d be hunting in.

Anybody have any thoughts on this. Other than I’m crazy for wanting to get four pups within the next year. My wife is sure gonna be surprised lol. She was never really a fan of the hounds.

Re: Patterdale Terrier [Re: RFrame] #7215524
03/14/21 03:06 PM
03/14/21 03:06 PM
NM
R
RFrame Offline OP
trapper
RFrame  Offline OP
trapper
R

NM
Pests dad,

I had a game bred pitbull that was probably the best truck dog I ever had. He was dang good at catching and killing coons on the ground to. He wasn’t cold nosed by any means but would get on a hot track and run it til he caught up to the coon. I saw him kill quite a few big boars. He would usually get bit up pretty good but he wouldn’t quit til the coon was dead.

I can only imagine what a terror and Patterdale/pit cross would be.

Re: Patterdale Terrier [Re: RFrame] #7215581
03/14/21 04:35 PM
03/14/21 04:35 PM
S.W. Iowa
B
braveheart Offline
trapper
braveheart  Offline
trapper
B

S.W. Iowa
I hardly ever log in here but I use to hunt 15 Patts. hard for about 10 yrs. Patts. all have Stafford terrier some place in there blood line.Most of the time size gets to big an have to cross back to get size down. Most of the time to put some stones in the blood line unlike a rat snapper Russel. All good patts are not dog aggressive I had Nuttal- an Gould and booth bred dogs. Even had a Britmoore dog and it was bred to tight for even me. I would not recommend them for a trap line dog. They are a hot nose dog and hair an a heart beat they will try to destroy it or die trying. They are very friendly dog lay on your lap but when it comes time to hunt they are all business. Any good pit should take out a coon in about 1 minute or less my Airedale could make quick work of them as well. My 2 cents!

Re: Patterdale Terrier [Re: RFrame] #7215708
03/14/21 06:23 PM
03/14/21 06:23 PM
Montana
J
Jackdale Offline
trapper
Jackdale  Offline
trapper
J

Montana
Sounds like your mind is made up already but I would have liked into jagds for what you want. The one I've had is great at trailing and getting into holes. I don't have patterdale experience but the jagds seem like they'd have a better trailing nose. I'd get a female to keep it from trying to kill your cow dog.

Re: Patterdale Terrier [Re: RFrame] #7215769
03/14/21 07:18 PM
03/14/21 07:18 PM
Europe
P
Pest's Dad Offline
trapper
Pest's Dad  Offline
trapper
P

Europe
Originally Posted by RFrame
Pests dad, I can only imagine what a terror and Patterdale/pit cross would be.

grin Imagining is probably about right. Those who tried the real thing don't tend to try any more! Once seems to have been enough whistle

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread