No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks #7215814
03/14/21 07:54 PM
03/14/21 07:54 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline OP
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
If you were carrying both on you, which would you use first? Let’s keep long guns out of it.

Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7215820
03/14/21 07:59 PM
03/14/21 07:59 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Depends on the situation. Bears are pretty easy to read. If it's an aggressive bear, pistol works for me. On the other hand, I've been in situations with both blacks and grizzlies where the "charge" was a bluff or they were curious. In those situations, pepper spray is okay. With that said, in bear country, I don't carry pepper spray. I'm still around; there are a few bears that aren't.

Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7215847
03/14/21 08:17 PM
03/14/21 08:17 PM
Montana
J
Jackdale Offline
trapper
Jackdale  Offline
trapper
J

Montana
Only time bear spray would be nice is if a buddy is getting chewed on. It'd be tough if you killed somebody trying to save them.

10mm Glock 29 for me.

Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7215863
03/14/21 08:28 PM
03/14/21 08:28 PM
Cheyenne, Wyoming
W
wadask Offline
trapper
wadask  Offline
trapper
W

Cheyenne, Wyoming
spray all the way

Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7215891
03/14/21 08:53 PM
03/14/21 08:53 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
385gr Remington coreloct HP @ 1700fps. never had to shoot a bear in defense but the way that load slammed a bull elk to the ground makes me comfortable. Over 21” penetration including 8” of spine pulverized.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7215896
03/14/21 08:54 PM
03/14/21 08:54 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
I really have no problem with gun being the first option. There are plenty of griz and only one EdP, and I'm important to me (and to the wife too I think). Killing a griz that is willing to attack a human seems like a public service. If it's OK to kill another human trying to kill me why is it not OK to kill a griz doing the same??? Griz are not an endangered species any more, but EdPs are.

Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: cmcf] #7215927
03/14/21 09:09 PM
03/14/21 09:09 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Just one of those things I do not screw around with.
44magnum S&W 4” mountain gun. It does threat assessment and problem termination without fail.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7215953
03/14/21 09:30 PM
03/14/21 09:30 PM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
I wrote "Bear Spray" on top of slide!!!

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7215957
03/14/21 09:33 PM
03/14/21 09:33 PM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
If you were carrying both on you, which would you use first? Let’s keep long guns out of it.

It would depend on the situation. If its not charging probably spray first . If coming fast second!!

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7215960
03/14/21 09:34 PM
03/14/21 09:34 PM
Interior Alaska
30/06 Offline
trapper
30/06  Offline
trapper

Interior Alaska
I often carry both. I agree with Gulo. I've been able to read them and have never encountered a truly determined-to-attack-me bear. I once face-sprayed a pair of grizzlies, it worked. They went one way and I went the other. Even bluff charges are scary. I used to carry a .44 mag, nowadays a Glock 10mm and a German Shepherd.

Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Jackdale] #7215963
03/14/21 09:37 PM
03/14/21 09:37 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by Jackdale
Only time bear spray would be nice is if a buddy is getting chewed on. It'd be tough if you killed somebody trying to save them.

10mm Glock 29 for me.

X2 mine is a CZ 10mm

Only ever had to deal with one brown bear and that was handled with a Ithaca 12g loaded with slugs and that bear still ended up at our feet

If you have never been in that situation it will surprise and shock you just how fast and agile a brown or grizzly is

Not to mention downright scary

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7215965
03/14/21 09:38 PM
03/14/21 09:38 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
Like Gulo said, spray is a deterrent for a bear that's curious or bluffing, just like shouting. A bear that's decided to kill you isn't going to be deterred. I still carry spray sometimes, mostly to hand to tourist friends & family to make them feel better. I wouldn't be without a gun in bear woods though.

Edit: I should add that around here, killing a self-defense bear is really no more than an inconvenience, since I have to skin and transport an animal I wasn't planning to. There are more than enough bears, and one without fear of humans is better off dead.

Last edited by KenaiKid; 03/14/21 10:00 PM.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7216015
03/14/21 10:17 PM
03/14/21 10:17 PM
Montana/Florida
G
Gene Dziza Offline
trapper
Gene Dziza  Offline
trapper
G

Montana/Florida
[quote=Grandpa Trapper]If you were carrying both on you, which would you use first? Let’s keep long guns out of it. [/quot
I am around grizzlies quite a bit. I carry both. I say and like to think spray first but in the event of an explosive charge, instinct may cause a different reaction. In many cases, I think a bear may get you before you can deploy spray and if you get hit with a gun drawn, the gun is likely to go flying. So my theory is spray first and if it gets me on the ground, the gun comes out of my chest holster.

So far, I've only accidentally deployed spray on myself. I was packing a boned-out load of meat and I had a can of spray in my pants pocket and it didn't have a trigger guard on it. Stupid thing to do. I stopped to rest and filter some water and let the pack go off one shoulder and let it swing around to catch it on my thigh. When I did, I heard the spray go off. I kind of opened my pocket and looked into it. Some vapor floated up and I immediately went into a coughing, choking, hacking fit. I couldn't believe how it incapacitated me. Well soon after, I realized that some of the spray soaked through my gortex and lit my privates on fire. I had to strip down and plunge my groin into a creek. The fire went out but a ways down the drainage it started coming back. Back into the creek I went. The relief was immediate but temporary. Three or four times I repeated this process as I made my way down the drainage to my truck. I remember thinking I'd rather shoot myself through the foot with a .44 than take a load of that spray to the groin. I finally made it back to my truck and I thought it was over and I was feeling pretty good. About 10 miles down the highway, the searing pain was back. It seemed forever before I finally came to a creek. I jumped from the truck and stumbled under the bridge to sit down n the creek and was instantly relieved. That ended it and the burning pain never came back. But when I went back the next day for another load, I carried a shotgun. Lol. Darn spray nearly killed my boys. It was like taking a hot brand down there.

Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7216022
03/14/21 10:25 PM
03/14/21 10:25 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
When we were in Wyoming a couple of years ago we asked about hiking just outside of Yellowstone as we got tired of the crowds of non Americans in the park. On two occasions we were told not to hike without a weapon. I asked about the bear spray and was told almost word for word by both people bear spray only works on the ones that weren’t gonna eat you to start with .

Seemed like good advice !

Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7216030
03/14/21 10:29 PM
03/14/21 10:29 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
For those of you that carry a.44mag. Check out the Hornady .430” 265gr. Flat nosed bullet. It was designed for the 444 Marlin and is a bit tougher than most pistol bullets. Should provide better penetration to the vitals and breaking down bone. Handloads only far as I know. As I said above I’ve never had to kill a bear in self defense.
It is just a bit to long for the short cylinder 44s like the Tarus Tracker. Fits fine in the Super Black Hawks and Red Hawks. Don’t know about the 29/629s as I’ve never owned one.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: KenaiKid] #7216040
03/14/21 10:37 PM
03/14/21 10:37 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
R
Robert Bluhm Offline
trapper
Robert Bluhm  Offline
trapper
R

Idaho Falls, ID
Be careful with your expectations of bear spray. As part of training for officers we had to be sprayed with OC pepper spray. They drenched our faces and eyes, we had to fight through another officer that used a big pad to block our efforts. The first thing that happened to me is that the spray enraged me and made me want to put the hurt on the guy with the pad. I had litterally lost the ability to reason. It was several seconds before I lost my sight and several more before I was incapacitated. Even if you get a good coating on that bears face and eyes a lot can happen while it takes effect. You better change the location you were in before the bear gets to you. I don't think I would trust spray for a full on bear charge after seeing how OC affected me in just a controlled situation. I'm not trying to downplay the spray but you should at least know it's limitations before you stake your life on it. Bob

Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Gene Dziza] #7216043
03/14/21 10:38 PM
03/14/21 10:38 PM
sw iowa
Outlaw99 Online shocked
trapper
Outlaw99  Online Shocked
trapper

sw iowa
Originally Posted by Gene Dziza
[quote=Grandpa Trapper]If you were carrying both on you, which would you use first? Let’s keep long guns out of it. [/quot
I am around grizzlies quite a bit. I carry both. I say and like to think spray first but in the event of an explosive charge, instinct may cause a different reaction. In many cases, I think a bear may get you before you can deploy spray and if you get hit with a gun drawn, the gun is likely to go flying. So my theory is spray first and if it gets me on the ground, the gun comes out of my chest holster.

So far, I've only accidentally deployed spray on myself. I was packing a boned-out load of meat and I had a can of spray in my pants pocket and it didn't have a trigger guard on it. Stupid thing to do. I stopped to rest and filter some water and let the pack go off one shoulder and let it swing around to catch it on my thigh. When I did, I heard the spray go off. I kind of opened my pocket and looked into it. Some vapor floated up and I immediately went into a coughing, choking, hacking fit. I couldn't believe how it incapacitated me. Well soon after, I realized that some of the spray soaked through my gortex and lit my privates on fire. I had to strip down and plunge my groin into a creek. The fire went out but a ways down the drainage it started coming back. Back into the creek I went. The relief was immediate but temporary. Three or four times I repeated this process as I made my way down the drainage to my truck. I remember thinking I'd rather shoot myself through the foot with a .44 than take a load of that spray to the groin. I finally made it back to my truck and I thought it was over and I was feeling pretty good. About 10 miles down the highway, the searing pain was back. It seemed forever before I finally came to a creek. I jumped from the truck and stumbled under the bridge to sit down n the creek and was instantly relieved. That ended it and the burning pain never came back. But when I went back the next day for another load, I carried a shotgun. Lol. Darn spray nearly killed my boys. It was like taking a hot brand down there.

Post of the year!!!! Thank you; made my night LOL!!!

Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters
Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7216074
03/14/21 11:02 PM
03/14/21 11:02 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Bacon is for bear attacks. a 454 Cassul is against bear attacks grin

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7216077
03/14/21 11:05 PM
03/14/21 11:05 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
I think bear spray is just something that makes you feel a bit more at ease in bear country. By the time you're in a position to try and use it in any sort of effective manner you're probably already in a world of trouble.

Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Golf ball] #7216112
03/14/21 11:33 PM
03/14/21 11:33 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Golf ball
When we were in Wyoming a couple of years ago we asked about hiking just outside of Yellowstone as we got tired of the crowds of non Americans in the park. On two occasions we were told not to hike without a weapon. I asked about the bear spray and was told almost word for word by both people bear spray only works on the ones that weren’t gonna eat you to start with .

Seemed like good advice !

Good Advice

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread