No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado #7223941
03/22/21 09:07 PM
03/22/21 09:07 PM
West Virginia
C
Choo Offline OP
trapper
Choo  Offline OP
trapper
C

West Virginia
Have an opportunity to hunt zone 85 just west of aguliar. it would be on a thousand plus acres of private ground during first rifle season. looking at the Google earth images I'm not real sold on the place appears to have more cedars an brush then Ag fields. what scares me is there appears to be a lot better looking crop grounds few miles north and west that I would think would hold elk better. It also looks to be towards what I would think is the tail end of migration routes so Im wondering how mid October would be there for elk movement and rut stages? Never been on an elk hunt before and I'm not one to spend that kind of money without some knowledge of the area.

Re: Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado [Re: Choo] #7224571
03/23/21 01:42 PM
03/23/21 01:42 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Anyone?

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado [Re: Choo] #7224663
03/23/21 03:30 PM
03/23/21 03:30 PM
NM
R
RFrame Offline
trapper
RFrame  Offline
trapper
R

NM
I have not hunted Colorado much and never in 85 but I have hunted Elk quite a bit so I’ll try to give you some input.
If I was looking at an area to hunt I would want there to be more cover pinion and juniper that ag fields. Elk beef three things, food, water, and cover. They will travel a long way to feed and water and then back to their bedding areas in a day. The area your looking at might be a great area to hunt elk. If they are feeding at the hay fields at night and your hunting spot is a transition area between feeding and bedding it would be perfect. Chances are they are not going to be on the ag fields during legal shooting hours. Maybe the first and last 15 minutes of daylight but usually they’re in a transition area.

When I’m hunting elk I try to find feed and water and then try to find the steepest, nastiest stuff where nobody else wants to go and that’s where the elk will be. They like to bed on north facing slopes. Look at topo maps and find benches on north facing slopes, find narrow isolated canyons and you’ll find elk. Private land is hard sometimes and honestly 1000 acres is nothing when you’re talking about elk country. If they’re pressured off that 1000 acres they’ll be gone in the first day or two of the hunt.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info. I’ve been elk hunting and guiding for quite a while and spend a lot of time in elk country.

Re: Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado [Re: Choo] #7224711
03/23/21 04:40 PM
03/23/21 04:40 PM
Montana
J
Jackdale Offline
trapper
Jackdale  Offline
trapper
J

Montana
It would have to be a pretty special 1000 acres for me to pay to hunt elk on. Sounds fishy to me. I have no clue about that area though. If I was paying to elk hunt private ground I'd want it to be a bigger chunk of land.

Re: Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado [Re: Choo] #7224790
03/23/21 06:32 PM
03/23/21 06:32 PM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
I hunted Just west of Aguilar in that unit on some private land that butted up to the Spanish peaks. My experience
Was not a good one. Never seen an elk. The mule deer hunting would have been good though. It was the first season and they were not bugeling and it was warm out. Not much to make them move besides them hitting some water holes after dark. We had the Trujillo creek running through property and was one of the only water Sources in the area but it still didn’t help lol
The areas was very ugly and dry with mostly cedars and some Popple and aspen in the higher elevations.
It literally felt like I was in Mexico when in the town. Kind of a odd place imo

Re: Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado [Re: Choo] #7224807
03/23/21 07:01 PM
03/23/21 07:01 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
I’d want more land too.
I hunted and guided in Idaho back in the 80’s.
If it was me, I’d ask the hundreds of experts at Eastman’s elk hunting forum.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado [Re: Choo] #7224871
03/23/21 07:52 PM
03/23/21 07:52 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Spanish speaking people have lived in that area since the 1600's. By the time the first rifle season opens rut is pretty much over for elk and hasn't got going for deer.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado [Re: NE Wildlife] #7224984
03/23/21 09:37 PM
03/23/21 09:37 PM
West Virginia
C
Choo Offline OP
trapper
Choo  Offline OP
trapper
C

West Virginia
Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
I hunted Just west of Aguilar in that unit on some private land that butted up to the Spanish peaks. My experience
Was not a good one. Never seen an elk. The mule deer hunting would have been good though. It was the first season and they were not bugeling and it was warm out. Not much to make them move besides them hitting some water holes after dark. We had the Trujillo creek running through property and was one of the only water Sources in the area but it still didn’t help lol
The areas was very ugly and dry with mostly cedars and some Popple and aspen in the higher elevations.
It literally felt like I was in Mexico when in the town. Kind of a odd place imo

Yeah when I look at this place on google maps it looks like cedars, rocks, and a few fields of grass. Was told there would be alfalfa fields but when I see rocks in a field I know it ain't no alfalfa. There is a little bit of street view available on the one road and the ground looks to thick to see for very long shots. It also concerns me that the outfitter supposedly didn't want it this year cause his client bookings were down. The more I look at it the more uncertainty I see. Also concerns me that pretty much any fields or opening are along stream bottoms with road access that I would think would deter many from showing themselves.

Re: Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado [Re: Choo] #7225023
03/23/21 10:22 PM
03/23/21 10:22 PM
The great cage state Colorado
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

The great cage state Colorado
With the drought we are in here, If there is no ponds or good water source I'd pass for sure.

Re: Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado [Re: Choo] #7225159
03/24/21 05:58 AM
03/24/21 05:58 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
and a few fields of grass

the elk will be feeding in those parks if they are there

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado [Re: Choo] #7225169
03/24/21 06:20 AM
03/24/21 06:20 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado [Re: Choo] #7225325
03/24/21 10:14 AM
03/24/21 10:14 AM
Pueblo, Colorado
S
shepherd0610 Offline
trapper
shepherd0610  Offline
trapper
S

Pueblo, Colorado
I raise cattle west and east of aguilar. we are in a severe drought down here. 1st rifle season is a hard season to hunt in 85. have to get as high as you can in spanish peaks wilderness to get into any real amount of elk. if there is snow on the peaks the elk will be down low. no snow usually means no elk low. the elk that stay low year around are on ranches that dont hunt or stay on tiny ranches and raid hay fields and then disappear in the hills during day. dont respond to calls. hard to pattern.
2nd and 3rd season are fun in 85 if have access to private ground and snow on the peaks. elk are getting shot at constantly so always moving. when i take kids hunting we just sit all day in a good elk corridor area. the bulls will come sneaking in hugging the terrain and the cows come running like cattle to feed.
if the ranch you have access to has good water and canyon they feel comfortable and safe in. it might hold a small group bachelor bulls. down low there are a few good bulls. but in 85 down low if a legal bull comes in, shoot it. if you dont he will jump a fence and get shot by someone in neighboring ranch.
85 is broken up ranches. lots of 40, 60, 80, 100 acre ranches.
the good hayfields are usually all leased out by outfitters. and they protect and patrol ground religiously. been known to harass the elk to keep them from leaving land they hunt.
unit 85 is great unit for youth. my kids all kill cows, get a great long season and able to get them on alfalfa fields when every one else is done chasing them.

Re: Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado [Re: shepherd0610] #7225357
03/24/21 10:57 AM
03/24/21 10:57 AM
West Virginia
C
Choo Offline OP
trapper
Choo  Offline OP
trapper
C

West Virginia
Originally Posted by shepherd0610
I raise cattle west and east of aguilar. we are in a severe drought down here. 1st rifle season is a hard season to hunt in 85. have to get as high as you can in spanish peaks wilderness to get into any real amount of elk. if there is snow on the peaks the elk will be down low. no snow usually means no elk low. the elk that stay low year around are on ranches that dont hunt or stay on tiny ranches and raid hay fields and then disappear in the hills during day. dont respond to calls. hard to pattern.
2nd and 3rd season are fun in 85 if have access to private ground and snow on the peaks. elk are getting shot at constantly so always moving. when i take kids hunting we just sit all day in a good elk corridor area. the bulls will come sneaking in hugging the terrain and the cows come running like cattle to feed.
if the ranch you have access to has good water and canyon they feel comfortable and safe in. it might hold a small group bachelor bulls. down low there are a few good bulls. but in 85 down low if a legal bull comes in, shoot it. if you dont he will jump a fence and get shot by someone in neighboring ranch.
85 is broken up ranches. lots of 40, 60, 80, 100 acre ranches.
the good hayfields are usually all leased out by outfitters. and they protect and patrol ground religiously. been known to harass the elk to keep them from leaving land they hunt.
unit 85 is great unit for youth. my kids all kill cows, get a great long season and able to get them on alfalfa fields when every one else is done chasing them.

Thanks for the insight. I noticed that when i pulled up the On x maps the properties where broke up into pretty small tracks and that also concerns me. I think from what i have seen from google earth maps and your alls info I'm going to turn down the offer. While i would love to go on an elk hunt i think ill sit this one out.

Re: Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado [Re: Choo] #7225515
03/24/21 01:56 PM
03/24/21 01:56 PM
Pueblo, Colorado
S
shepherd0610 Offline
trapper
shepherd0610  Offline
trapper
S

Pueblo, Colorado
If I was going to bring out of state hunter in i would want 3rd rifle season it is long enough to get chance at critter.
elk are migrating lower and hunters are keeping the elk moving.
if 4th season was longer i would recommend that season.

Re: Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado [Re: Choo] #7225711
03/24/21 07:18 PM
03/24/21 07:18 PM
NM
R
RFrame Offline
trapper
RFrame  Offline
trapper
R

NM
Most of what I hunt elk in is cedar, rocks, with very little grass and no hay fields for miles and miles

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Anybody elk hunted zone 85 colorado [Re: RFrame] #7225715
03/24/21 07:20 PM
03/24/21 07:20 PM
West Virginia
C
Choo Offline OP
trapper
Choo  Offline OP
trapper
C

West Virginia
Originally Posted by RFrame
Most of what I hunt elk in is cedar, rocks, with very little grass and no hay fields for miles and miles

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rframe sent you a pm

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread