No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7223881
03/22/21 08:09 PM
03/22/21 08:09 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
I'm still not sure what your after. State association's I just looked at have the BMP's linked to their site so are you wanting them to do more or what?

Your state has it linked, so start there, what more should they do?

Last edited by hippie; 03/22/21 08:10 PM.
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7223890
03/22/21 08:16 PM
03/22/21 08:16 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Originally Posted by rpmartin
Any thoughts on this subject? Are there many states getting involved in this? Do most folks just as soon not get involved in it?

.. this may have been covered already so forgive me if I come off as redundant..

... bmp’s are for adult canadians , yankee preteens, transgenders, sexually confused bohemians and all other manner of sissies that only exist because of advancements in modern medicine and such

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7223902
03/22/21 08:25 PM
03/22/21 08:25 PM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
I for one feel no other country in the world has any say, buyer of fur or not, as to what INDIVIDUAL states can use for their wildlife management tools. Trapping methods and tools are different in each state. We don’t need blanket national regulations just as we don’t have blanket whitetail deer management and seasons. Suggested management practices inevitably turn into mandatory management practices when the govt, is involved. One can look at gun bans and see that when you let their toe in the door they aren’t satisfied. It’s just on to the next level. We are at the point to where appeasement obviously doesn’t work. We have to stand for what is right and just.

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: Savell] #7223904
03/22/21 08:27 PM
03/22/21 08:27 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Originally Posted by Savell
Any thoughts on this subject? Are there many states getting involved in this? Do most folks just as soon not get involved in it?

.. this may have been covered already so forgive me if I come off as redundant..

... bmp’s are for adult canadians , yankee preteens, transgenders, sexually confused bohemians and all other manner of sissies that only exist because of advancements in modern medicine and such

Im with you on this crap^^^^^ It aint coming to Texas Mississippi Alabama or Georgia so I am not going to worry about it

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: hippie] #7223918
03/22/21 08:43 PM
03/22/21 08:43 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by hippie
I'm still not sure what your after. State association's I just looked at have the BMP's linked to their site so are you wanting them to do more or what?

Your state has it linked, so start there, what more should they do?

My first post asked what people thought of bmps and what states views on this were? I would like to know if new Mexico supports bmps or not. And if they reccomend bmps were they willing to implement them to help save trapping? I wonder why so many people are completely against bmps.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: Savell] #7223937
03/22/21 09:05 PM
03/22/21 09:05 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Savell

Yer funny!! Ya know you have a good point, where is the Canadians on this? Weren't they on this years ago? Somthin aufwee skwuuy goin on awound here.

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7223943
03/22/21 09:09 PM
03/22/21 09:09 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
The BMP for western coyote does not recommend neck snares, only foot stuff.

Who is John Galt?
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7223946
03/22/21 09:11 PM
03/22/21 09:11 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Steeltraps, what's the deal with the me me me and to heck with everyone else. C'mon man

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7223955
03/22/21 09:18 PM
03/22/21 09:18 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
You are making this sound like BMP will be the saving grace of trapping. This came about with the woman Clinton put in charge. It was to be a NON BINDING agreement. Many discouraged folks were still remembering the lynx fiasco in Colorado. Then you wonder why they aren't trusted.

Do you know that laminated traps scored better then the rubber jawed traps for injury? TRAPPERS came up with that modification. Get a copy of the BMP's and look at how the traps are listed. The top picture is of rubber jawed even though they scored worse.

Each part of the country has unique conditions that can effect trapped animals. If you force a 24 hour check out west you will all but shut trapping down. EVERYONE should share the responsibilities that go with trapping to include the urbanites that migrate out of the cities and turn their pets loose to roam. Seasons and bag limits along with the other regulations should be decided by each state using SCIENCE based logic and NO EMOTION involved.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7223956
03/22/21 09:19 PM
03/22/21 09:19 PM
New Mexico
C
coytrpr Offline
trapper
coytrpr  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
Two years ago BMPs regained us (NM) a 48 hour check on drowning sets (had been 24), opened up our State WMAs to trapping (all had been closed), helped get required trap distances removed from private land and only apply to public lands, and get the urban "closure" areas still open to conibears, dog proofs, and cages. Took a lot of meetings involving our NMTA president and myself with game commissioners, the Department and various public groups. We did get additional restrictions on public lands put on us and ended up with a 36 page trapping regulation booklet. Yes, the NMTA supported a voluntary compliance with BMPs and a mandatory education requirement. We told the Department, the game commission, and elected officials it would not appease the antis. We knew and they stated they wanted a total ban. In that regard BMPs did not help. I have worked on the BMPs with 3 species. As a trapper for 54 years and a retired biologist I am in full support of the BMPs. If you read them you will see they are not set in stone. Similar type traps as to what was used are also recommended. I highly resent comments that science was not used in the process. As a BMP trapper and technician every effort was made to avoid any bias in the process. Yes, I also recommended a different trap for one species but the trap types were selected based on the most common traps in use and traps that had multiple species application. You don't have to agree with me, but comments made on this forum continue to be a treasure trove for the anti-trapping groups. It seems that too many "trappers" still don't get it. Like it or not, the image you present to the general public is remembered. We had a very strong coalition fighting to keep public land trapping here in NM. National, state, and local groups all involved. We even had groups that we more often than not are on opposite sides of wildlife issues support us. We lost because of the constant daily barrage of anti-trapping material the general public is exposed to, the lack of respect for science based facts in our society in general, the media (especially large metropolitan newspapers) providing free support and coverage to outlaw trapping, more money for their side (including TV ads) and because of illegal trappers providing new rounds of ammunition. The fight will come to your neighborhood eventually and BMPs may not always save trapping but they are a valuable tool in the battle for a favorable public perception.

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7223965
03/22/21 09:25 PM
03/22/21 09:25 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
The BMP's were done to allow fur from the US to keep being shipped to Europe. How did that work out. Very little fur has gone to Europe for years. So what good did they do?

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7223975
03/22/21 09:30 PM
03/22/21 09:30 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Steeltraps, what's the deal with the me me me and to heck with everyone else. C'mon man

Because liberal thinking is what got us here in the first place. Just like with gun control. You give liberals a inch they will take a mile. You know why the north will be disarmed beforw the sourh. Because WE and ME want accept it. The south want allow or except the things you will. Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees. Thats the code we live by

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7223981
03/22/21 09:35 PM
03/22/21 09:35 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
For more information on BMPs see the National Trappers Association's site at https://www.nationaltrappers.com/bmp.html.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: steeltraps] #7224008
03/22/21 09:49 PM
03/22/21 09:49 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Originally Posted by steeltraps

Because liberal thinking is what got us here in the first place. Just like with gun control. You give liberals a inch they will take a mile. You know why the north will be disarmed beforw the sourh. Because WE and ME want accept it. The south want allow or except the things you will. Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees. Thats the code we live by

.. ride on over .. I got beer on ice lol

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: coytrpr] #7224022
03/22/21 10:02 PM
03/22/21 10:02 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by coytrpr
Two years ago BMPs regained us (NM) a 48 hour check on drowning sets (had been 24), opened up our State WMAs to trapping (all had been closed), helped get required trap distances removed from private land and only apply to public lands, and get the urban "closure" areas still open to conibears, dog proofs, and cages. Took a lot of meetings involving our NMTA president and myself with game commissioners, the Department and various public groups. We did get additional restrictions on public lands put on us and ended up with a 36 page trapping regulation booklet. Yes, the NMTA supported a voluntary compliance with BMPs and a mandatory education requirement. We told the Department, the game commission, and elected officials it would not appease the antis. We knew and they stated they wanted a total ban. In that regard BMPs did not help. I have worked on the BMPs with 3 species. As a trapper for 54 years and a retired biologist I am in full support of the BMPs. If you read them you will see they are not set in stone. Similar type traps as to what was used are also recommended. I highly resent comments that science was not used in the process. As a BMP trapper and technician every effort was made to avoid any bias in the process. Yes, I also recommended a different trap for one species but the trap types were selected based on the most common traps in use and traps that had multiple species application. You don't have to agree with me, but comments made on this forum continue to be a treasure trove for the anti-trapping groups. It seems that too many "trappers" still don't get it. Like it or not, the image you present to the general public is remembered. We had a very strong coalition fighting to keep public land trapping here in NM. National, state, and local groups all involved. We even had groups that we more often than not are on opposite sides of wildlife issues support us. We lost because of the constant daily barrage of anti-trapping material the general public is exposed to, the lack of respect for science based facts in our society in general, the media (especially large metropolitan newspapers) providing free support and coverage to outlaw trapping, more money for their side (including TV ads) and because of illegal trappers providing new rounds of ammunition. The fight will come to your neighborhood eventually and BMPs may not always save trapping but they are a valuable tool in the battle for a favorable public perception.

Now that is a really good post. Thank you sir for your work and honesty. More on this later.

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: steeltraps] #7224032
03/22/21 10:11 PM
03/22/21 10:11 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by steeltraps
[quote=rpmartin]Steeltraps, what's the deal with the me me me and to heck with everyone else. C'mon man

Because liberal thinking is what got us here in the first place. Just like with gun control. You give liberals a inch they will take a mile. You know why the north will be disarmed beforw the sourh. Because WE and ME want accept it. The south want allow or except the things you will. Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees. Thats the code we live by[/quote

I'm about as far from liberal as you can get, but i do think that even a lowly coyote should be treated well right to the bitter end.
I forgot what color flag you boys got down there, is it the white one tied to a stick? Lol neener neener

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7224040
03/22/21 10:17 PM
03/22/21 10:17 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Have you ever read the BMP's rpmarten, because with your last post you sound like an anti that thinks state laws (and we trappers) are askew from the recommendations in the BMP.

Last edited by hippie; 03/22/21 10:20 PM.
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7224045
03/22/21 10:20 PM
03/22/21 10:20 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
.. what size maxi pad do y’all yanks and canadians recommend for # 2 bridgers ?

... unscented I’d assume.. my question is more about acceptable thickness and approved attachment (is bailing wire too abrasive?)

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: hippie] #7224066
03/22/21 10:40 PM
03/22/21 10:40 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by hippie
Have you ever read the BMP's rpmarten, because with your last post you sound like an anti that thinks state laws (and we trappers) are askew from the recommendations in the BMP.

Not an anti either at all, what i want is new trappers that buy a dozen traps and don't understand what that trap is capable of if they use it wrong. Make sense? I have seen myself and heard too many stories of bad wrecks with traps that cause a lost coyote with 3 legs. Sound ok with you? Not me, if you can educate these people great. If not than maybe we need something to make sure that does not happen.

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7224074
03/22/21 10:49 PM
03/22/21 10:49 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
I can tell you one thing. You sound and act like a liberal too me! I cant tell much difference With lots of you liberals and liberal sympathcizers. You talk about BMP like its a way to keep trapping going? Its crap. They will just take more and more if you give them an inch they will take a mile. People like you are the reason that ranchers are suffering. Oh no ! Lets be kind to the coyotes that are killing our cattle and sheep. I will say its just like i feel. IF i can climb up a tree and drop a 40 lb rock on a calf killing coyote. I will if thats what needs to be done. I kill coyotes for a living. I do it on private land. What bussiness. Do you. Or anyone esle have in tell a man how to protect his stock??? Our 4 fathers would kill a wolf or coyote by any means nessassary. Period!!! I may move to West Texas because their. I will always have a job killing coyotes

Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread