No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7224090
03/22/21 11:00 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
"General Overview of Traps Meeting BMP
Criteria for Coyotes in the Western United States
Two basic types of traps were tested for coyotes: foothold restraining traps and cable
devices.
Powered Cable Devices (foot capture)(Figures WC28a-28b)

Somehow I figure you boys don't use foot snares. I have on bears. crazy

Last edited by Dirt; 03/23/21 12:17 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: steeltraps] #7224093
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by steeltraps
I can tell you one thing. You sound and act like a liberal too me! I cant tell much difference With lots of you liberals and liberal sympathcizers. You talk about BMP like its a way to keep trapping going? Its crap. They will just take more and more if you give them an inch they will take a mile. People like you are the reason that ranchers are suffering. Oh no ! Lets be kind to the coyotes that are killing our cattle and sheep. I will say its just like i feel. IF i can climb up a tree and drop a 40 lb rock on a calf killing coyote. I will if thats what needs to be done. I kill coyotes for a living. I do it on private land. What bussiness. Do you. Or anyone esle have in tell a man how to protect his stock??? Our 4 fathers would kill a wolf or coyote by any means nessassary. Period!!! I may move to West Texas because their. I will always have a job killing coyotes

Ok steeltraps, im sure that will go along way in keeping our trapping rights. Right on man, go get em. I'm absolutely positive that the lawmakers would take your word over any others all day long.
Well folks there you go, want to know why you lost trapping, well there you go. Coming to a trapping area near you!!

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: Jumperzee] #7224106
03/22/21 11:19 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Jumperzee
Good information to be aware of, regardless of what you think. If a state agency is forced to implement trapping restrictions due to an ESA lawsuit/ruling, it's good to have scientific info to fall back on as far as what is the most effective and what is arbitrary.

https://furbearermanagement.com/

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7224107
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
I don't think he sounds liberal, and I understand why he thinks BMPs will somehow treat caught animals more friendly, if that's important to you,,, however I do not believe for a second that anti-trappers are going to give in at all or settle anything less than a complete ban on all trapping. At best it could postpone the inevitable. The only way to save trapping is to vote in the right people in your states that make the laws, if you can't do that, nothing else will matter. Look at the effort and hard work of the guys in NM, they did everything including the BMP stuff and still failed to stop the ban on trapping they are now destined to have.

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7224109
03/22/21 11:23 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Nope. Were not going to accept it. Texas has oil money Private land and a good govener. Southern states have also have big money in deer lease. Plus we are unyeilding. Texas has said = We want enforce unconstitutional gun laws. Alabama WILL soon follow that path. THATS how you keep your states trapping going. Stand up to anti. Be ready to spill blood. Liberals are going to take your rights IF you give in. Your not taking my guns or traps. Better to die on your feet than live on your knees!!! I going to bed. Im going to get up and kill a coyote in a trap in the morning. I make no oppologies for who i am. Im a coyote killer. By any means nessassery. Traps Guns or a big rock to the head. LOL !

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7224110
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Good information to be aware of, regardless of what you think. If a state agency is forced to implement trapping restrictions due to an ESA lawsuit/ruling, it's good to have scientific info to fall back on as far as what is the most effective and what is arbitrary.

Thanks for that info, dang it i didn't see this sooner.
Hey savell, your still a douch bag. You douching baging

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7224115
03/22/21 11:33 PM
03/22/21 11:33 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Originally Posted by rpmartin

Thanks for that info, dang it i didn't see this sooner.
Hey savell, your still a douch bag. You douching baging

... not sure what that even means .. but if you’re intent on being an ambassador to snatching up up vermin in traps and killing them up close while expecting the sissified public to accept it.... you might want to at least learn how to properly insult me first lol

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7224129
03/23/21 12:00 AM
03/23/21 12:00 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
"A New Mexico measure that would prohibit traps, snares and wildlife poisons from being used on public lands across cleared the Democratic-led Senate late Tuesday. The legislation passed despite four Democrats from rural areas breaking with their party and voting in opposition. Two Republicans from the Albuquerque area voted in favor."

Who is John Galt?
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7224159
03/23/21 01:06 AM
03/23/21 01:06 AM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
rpmartin you make me wonder how long you have been involved in the fight to keep trapping going. I remember well the fight Maryland had to keep their trapping. That was well before BMP program was going. If you were involved then you would know there is no appeasing them short of end it all.

Education of the fence setters that haven't fallen for the HSUS propaganda machine can go a long way. There are many ways to reach them. Trailblazers we talked to over 500 in Illinois several years back. Spring boat show in the Quad Cities we had a table set up with mounts and tanned fur and maned with knowledgeable people. We even had a few sign up to our state association. Believe me it will do a lot more good then arguing here on a trapping forum.

During the Clinton administration they got gifted a great big nest egg. They are reimbursed their lawyers fees no mater if they win loose or draw. That is how they can take all the DNR to court all the time. Clinton got caught up with on another deal and was stopped. He tried to give them a split of the Pitman/Roberts act funding.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: Savell] #7224189
03/23/21 05:59 AM
03/23/21 05:59 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Originally Posted by Savell
.. what size maxi pad do y’all yanks and canadians recommend for # 2 bridgers ?

... unscented I’d assume.. my question is more about acceptable thickness and approved attachment (is bailing wire too abrasive?)

Insert profound nonsense here is very appropriate

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7224254
03/23/21 07:53 AM
03/23/21 07:53 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Not to stir the pot or anything, but a while back when I decided to branch out from cages and DP's, I found and studied the BMP's.....both ours and Canada's. It seems to me that 90% of it mirrors the best advice I've seen offered here. Most of it seems to be aimed at avoiding incidentals and non-target catches. That especially applies to the body grip traps and sets. On balance, seems to be good advice to follow.

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: Drifter] #7224305
03/23/21 09:18 AM
03/23/21 09:18 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Drifter
rpmartin you make me wonder how long you have been involved in the fight to keep trapping going. I remember well the fight Maryland had to keep their trapping. That was well before BMP program was going. If you were involved then you would know there is no appeasing them short of end it all.

Education of the fence setters that haven't fallen for the HSUS propaganda machine can go a long way. There are many ways to reach them. Trailblazers we talked to over 500 in Illinois several years back. Spring boat show in the Quad Cities we had a table set up with mounts and tanned fur and maned with knowledgeable people. We even had a few sign up to our state association. Believe me it will do a lot more good then arguing here on a trapping forum.

During the Clinton administration they got gifted a great big nest egg. They are reimbursed their lawyers fees no mater if they win loose or draw. That is how they can take all the DNR to court all the time. Clinton got caught up with on another deal and was stopped. He tried to give them a split of the Pitman/Roberts act funding.

True, i haven't been trapping hard as long ad a lot of you have. When i was young i trapped several years for muskrats, coon and a rew fox. In 1987 i went to Texas with a guy from Minnesota that was part owner of a lure business, R&M Lures. He and a partner went down every year trapping coyotes. That year he had back issues and hired 2 skinners, i was one. One of us would ride along and help on the line while the other stayed behind to put up the previous days catch. We skinned and put up 551 coyotes that winter.
I trapped around home a couple years after that with so so luck. I pretty much got out of trapping for many years because my interest turned to other things.

Then in 2013 i decided to get back into it again because my friend had been hunting rattlesnakes in Texas for many years and had some landowners that said it would be ok to trap. Plus we were ready to get out of the frozen tundra for a few days. Caught more skunks than coyotes. Lol

In 2014 i went for instructions from Ogorman. That's when things switched around. He ran 3 day lines so needed a trap that held well with minimal damage. At the time that trap was the Canadian jawed 3 bridger with extras done to bullet proof it against coyotes.

I went from 1/4 inch gapped offsets to 3/16 because they performed better imo.

I got some ground rounded up in Texas and trapped a few weeks during the winter. I contacted the old boy i worked for back in 87 and got some new ground from his landowners, ( he quit going down about 10 years ago) i finally got enough land to trap on and talked him into going along. That was 2 years ago.
[Linked Image]
We caught 194

coyotes but through a bunch away due to mange.

Last year he couldn't make it due to health issues, he was 74. So i was solo.
Pushed hard and caught 204 coyotes and 20 cats.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So i do have some experience with this stuff.

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: HayDay] #7224347
03/23/21 09:58 AM
03/23/21 09:58 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by HayDay
Not to stir the pot or anything, but a while back when I decided to branch out from cages and DP's, I found and studied the BMP's.....both ours and Canada's. It seems to me that 90% of it mirrors the best advice I've seen offered here. Most of it seems to be aimed at avoiding incidentals and non-target catches. That especially applies to the body grip traps and sets. On balance, seems to be good advice to follow.

Your not stirring the pot at all. Would like anything you have to say on the subject, good or bad. Thanks

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: ~ADC~] #7224356
03/23/21 10:06 AM
03/23/21 10:06 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I don't think he sounds liberal, and I understand why he thinks BMPs will somehow treat caught animals more friendly, if that's important to you,,, however I do not believe for a second that anti-trappers are going to give in at all or settle anything less than a complete ban on all trapping. At best it could postpone the inevitable. The only way to save trapping is to vote in the right people in your states that make the laws, if you can't do that, nothing else will matter. Look at the effort and hard work of the guys in NM, they did everything including the BMP stuff and still failed to stop the ban on trapping they are now destined to have.

That's a pretty good summary right there. Except the part about me thinking they will help, i know they will help if done correctly. It should be important to every trapper in the country.

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7224377
03/23/21 10:26 AM
03/23/21 10:26 AM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Impressive catch !

... hope none of them broke a nail

... you do realize you mentioned 72 hour checks and laminations for animal comfort in the same sentence ... seems a little hypocritical ... I’m neither for or against either one because if I was in interested in making coyotes comfortable... Id probably feed and worm them instead of trapping and killing them lol

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: Savell] #7224388
03/23/21 10:38 AM
03/23/21 10:38 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Savell
Impressive catch !

... hope none of them broke a nail

... you do realize you mentioned 72 hour checks and laminations for animal comfort in the same sentence ... seems a little hypocritical ... I’m neither for or against either one because if I was in interested in making coyotes comfortable... Id probably feed and worm them instead of trapping and killing them lol

You might want to read that again. I didn't say comfort, i said to make sure the coyote was still there in 3 days. Anyone with an understanding of what i said will know with extended checks, you better not have too much damage or that coyote won't be there on check day.

Last edited by rpmartin; 03/23/21 10:39 AM. Reason: Spelling

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7224394
03/23/21 10:43 AM
03/23/21 10:43 AM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
..excuse me, your words were “ treated well” in one of your previous posts... I may have confused that with comfort lol

.. bottom line is it’s a slippery slope to even entertain conversation about how much or little hurt is put on a stinking coyote ... it’s a no win situation

.. end up having to try to cage the dang things

Last edited by Savell; 03/23/21 10:48 AM.

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7224450
03/23/21 11:39 AM
03/23/21 11:39 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
I hope you learned that state Associations have been implementing BMP's as well as game commissions like ours from the replies here to ease your mind about them. Now if your wanting more which is what it sounds like, you'll continue to get the raft you've also seen.

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: hippie] #7224469
03/23/21 11:55 AM
03/23/21 11:55 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by hippie
I hope you learned that state Associations have been implementing BMP's as well as game commissions like ours from the replies here to ease your mind about them. Now if your wanting more which is what it sounds like, you'll continue to get the raft you've also seen.

Seems he is advocating States implementing the BMP recommendations. As far I can tell that would mean a ban on neck snares for western coyotes which would include here. This will be good for trappers.

The snares recommended for red fox is 3/32" or 1/8" cable. 1/8" cable for a fox? 3/32 is overkill enough. confused

No lynx neck snare recommended?

Thanks! But no Thanks!

Last edited by Dirt; 03/23/21 12:17 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #7224507
03/23/21 12:23 PM
03/23/21 12:23 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
I didn't see anywhere on here where we said the BMPs were going to save the world of trapping,especially when things have advanced this far against us.But look at what has happened in other states,the current "they can't tell me what to do"," I don't want to by involved,I want to be left alone"attitude hasn't worked and it won't work heading into the future.Trapping is highly political,there's no going back from that.Things like BMPs were not meant to swing the animal rights activists to our side,they were meant for the people that aren't in involved in it one way or another but were looking at a ballot initiative.Now we're looking at cities,and possibly states in the future where the simple act of wearing fur is illegal.Do you think the status quo response and attitude of ours at this point is going to sway those people?If fur has to be certified before it can be bought do we have a response??We've drug our feet so long,now we have a administration we can't work with !B MPs are not perfect,neither our a lot of our regulations but we deal with them.As far as I'm concerned,living under BMPs is the equivalent trapping under more trapping regs,versus living under the regs of New Mexico,Colorado,Arizona,Washington,to name a few.They have no regs on public land,because THEY HAVE NO TRAPPING!!

This is still the best post on this thread

Life member,

Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread