No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
good places to fish in WI #7227285
03/26/21 02:31 PM
03/26/21 02:31 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
My son graduates high school end of May , we are taking a two week fishing trip first half of June

When my daughter graduated she and my wife went on a 2 week road trip to Florida and points in between

my son decided for his trip he wanted to fish.

we are going fishing and camping a fair amount along the way if the weather looks awful finding a hotel for the night.

not opposed to spending a few nights on Islands either planning to get some camping hammocks with the rain flies and mosquito netting and travel light.

we have our boat , it isn't huge but works for the 2 of us and we can motor most any where there is enough water.

just a basic 14 foot fishing boat with motor , it is side console but no power tilt or trim.

general plan is head west to the Mississippi and fish and work our way north then east , I know he talked about getting over to the Fox river at some point.

we are willing to go where the fish are

what are favorite places to fish with some camping near by

almost everything is open besides small mouth which are catch and release till the 19th

also good places to stop and eat , we don't need to eat fish for every meal.

the kid is into fishing , hunting and food. hunting is most all closed in June.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: good places to fish in WI [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7227305
03/26/21 03:09 PM
03/26/21 03:09 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
By may there is a good shot at big flatheads around here. Might be willing to show y'all a spot or two. I'd prefer PM's for plans but if you are going to be near here there would be a good chance at some 30+ pounders.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Trap Setter; 03/26/21 03:24 PM.

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: good places to fish in WI [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7227381
03/26/21 04:38 PM
03/26/21 04:38 PM
Wisconsin
A
andywb Offline
trapper
andywb  Offline
trapper
A

Wisconsin
Wrong direction and maybe not the best timing but I've always done well with smallmouths on Sturgeon Bay over Memorial day weekend. I generally fish the flats or east shore across from the state park.

Re: good places to fish in WI [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7227407
03/26/21 05:17 PM
03/26/21 05:17 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
For my entire childhood and for a few trips in my adult life, my entire family has enjoyed catfishing the backwaters of the Mississippi above the dam at Alma. We caught a lot of nice northerns and walleye as we'll. We only ever had a little 14-16'fishing boat with maybe a 10hp outboard.. There is or was a nice little camp ground where we stayed often right along the hwy north of town. There was motel Reicks I believe along there too. We stayed there a few times as well. Nelson, just north of Alma, had a small family resurant on the east side of the highway that had the best seafood platter, I've ever ate. Oh and nice cheese house across the road too. Highly recommend a day or two there.

Re: good places to fish in WI [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7227460
03/26/21 06:22 PM
03/26/21 06:22 PM
Northern Wisconsin
N
NorthenTrapper Offline
trapper
NorthenTrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Northern Wisconsin
Don't listen to these guys about fishing for catfish best fishin you can do is to troll for lake trout up in the apostle islands.

Second thought not sure if trout season is even open in May.

Last edited by NorthenTrapper; 03/26/21 06:23 PM.

“We will visit the Holy Land and see those places hallowed by the footsteps of the Savior,”
-Lincoln
Re: good places to fish in WI [Re: andywb] #7227475
03/26/21 06:34 PM
03/26/21 06:34 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by andywb
Wrong direction and maybe not the best timing but I've always done well with smallmouths on Sturgeon Bay over Memorial day weekend. I generally fish the flats or east shore across from the state park.

we may very well get over that way I have family in Sturgeon bay

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: good places to fish in WI [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7227555
03/26/21 07:42 PM
03/26/21 07:42 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Lot of island camp spots on the Turtle Flambeau. Smallies will be too early to keep but walleyes are there. With a 14 footer stay on the east side if you have a lot of wind. It can get rough out there. Depending upon weather, try to find shallow flowages with stained water they will heat up faster and have more active fish. You can catch walleyes and lots of smaller channel cats on Petenwell. I have fished in late May and early June in the shallow bays south of Sturgeon and have caught a lot of smallies, but I released them. You could hit a nice crappie catch on Winnebago about that time.

Bryce

Re: good places to fish in WI [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7227681
03/26/21 09:12 PM
03/26/21 09:12 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by NorthenTrapper
Don't listen to these guys about fishing for catfish best fishin you can do is to troll for lake trout up in the apostle islands.

Second thought not sure if trout season is even open in May.

we troll for Lake trout a few times a year with my dad off the hills in Racine.my son used to spend a few weeks a summer at Grandpa Camp fishing every day weather would allow.

I don't have the boat or setup for trolling nor the boat for Superior

I like Lake trout and do trout boils my dad prefers salmon so it works out if salmon slow down we go bounce the hills for trout and I get them for fish boils.

Re: good places to fish in WI [Re: bblwi] #7227690
03/26/21 09:18 PM
03/26/21 09:18 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by bblwi
Lot of island camp spots on the Turtle Flambeau. Smallies will be too early to keep but walleyes are there. With a 14 footer stay on the east side if you have a lot of wind. It can get rough out there. Depending upon weather, try to find shallow flowages with stained water they will heat up faster and have more active fish. You can catch walleyes and lots of smaller channel cats on Petenwell. I have fished in late May and early June in the shallow bays south of Sturgeon and have caught a lot of smallies, but I released them. You could hit a nice crappie catch on Winnebago about that time.

Bryce

I have never fished Winnebago driven by it many times.

used to spend time on the Lac du Flambeau chain I have a few spots there that probably still produce

I will look at Petenwell and Turtle flambeau

we used to perch fish the bays south of Sturgeon bay when I was a kid , 5 of us in a boat about 130 fish in a couple hours did we ever have a big perch fry.

Re: good places to fish in WI [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7227693
03/26/21 09:22 PM
03/26/21 09:22 PM
wisconsin, manitowoc
mutt Offline
trapper
mutt  Offline
trapper

wisconsin, manitowoc
Chippewa flowage
Bluegill bite is pretty good in the shallows early June. They have islands to camp on too

Re: good places to fish in WI [Re: ~ADC~] #7227700
03/26/21 09:30 PM
03/26/21 09:30 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
For my entire childhood and for a few trips in my adult life, my entire family has enjoyed catfishing the backwaters of the Mississippi above the dam at Alma. We caught a lot of nice northerns and walleye as we'll. We only ever had a little 14-16'fishing boat with maybe a 10hp outboard.. There is or was a nice little camp ground where we stayed often right along the hwy north of town. There was motel Reicks I believe along there too. We stayed there a few times as well. Nelson, just north of Alma, had a small family resurant on the east side of the highway that had the best seafood platter, I've ever ate. Oh and nice cheese house across the road too. Highly recommend a day or two there.

about 1991 I fished north of Lock and dam 4 in Alma drive up after my dad got off work on Friday night from south east WI. a co-worker of my dads owned a house at the north end of town on the highway

we got the bedroom that faced the water , highway , railroad , river

almost to sleep truck with a jake brake bbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaappppppppp

almost asleep , 3 mile long train

got to sleep blinds closed and a a tug with huge spot light hits the window with the light and it is like daylight thought it might have been an ailien abduction it was soo bright , then the horn

we fished all day Saturday didn't hear a thing the next night I was out.

that is a good idea also, thanks

Re: good places to fish in WI [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7227978
03/27/21 07:31 AM
03/27/21 07:31 AM
Wisconsin
G
Green Bay Offline
trapper
Green Bay  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
If you ware working your way East - Lake DuBay on the WI river has every kind of fish and different environments to fish.

Author of The Lure Hunter: A Guide to Finding Fishing Lures
Re: good places to fish in WI [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7227984
03/27/21 07:40 AM
03/27/21 07:40 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Looks like if ya fish with RM Trapper you will have biceps of steel. Good luck where ever ya go.

Don't even think of comin down here that time of year, Choke Cayon, the San Marcos, and Canyon Lake will wall to wall bikini girls and then you will have to have that birds and bees talk with yer youngster and ya won't git much fishin done
grin

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: good places to fish in WI [Re: Leftlane] #7228021
03/27/21 08:46 AM
03/27/21 08:46 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Looks like if ya fish with RM Trapper you will have biceps of steel. Good luck where ever ya go.

Don't even think of comin down here that time of year, Choke Cayon, the San Marcos, and Canyon Lake will wall to wall bikini girls and then you will have to have that birds and bees talk with yer youngster and ya won't git much fishin done
grin

in June we are looking for 60 degree nights not 1000 degree days

that talk was had a long time ago and reinforced regularly.

he wants a girl that fishes and hunts , He had a date with a girl , easy on the eyes ,he took her fishing , came home said it's not going to work out , she is drama and doesn't really want to fish.

Re: good places to fish in WI [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7228044
03/27/21 09:20 AM
03/27/21 09:20 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Go up to the North woods, camp at one of the many National Forest camp grounds. You will be just minutes from 50 different lakes to fish. Some campgrounds you will be the only ones there, same with most lakes. There are some real hidden jewels.

Re: good places to fish in WI [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7228049
03/27/21 09:25 AM
03/27/21 09:25 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

he wants a girl that fishes and hunts , He had a date with a girl , easy on the eyes ,he took her fishing , came home said it's not going to work out , she is drama and doesn't really want to fish.

LMBO, 2 strikes and you're out if they are big ol strikes like those 2.

Tell him drama queens make a guy appreciate solo fishin trips more than he can possibly imagine just don't ask me how I know bout such things

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread