No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Universal Background Checks CO #7227197
03/26/21 12:21 PM
03/26/21 12:21 PM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Online content OP
trapper
corky  Online Content OP
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
As soon as the Colorado shooting took place Democrats started calling again for universal background checks. Guess what? Colorado has them and it did nothing to prevent this shooting. Verified by a rabid anti-gun site:
https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state-laws/universal-background-checks-in-colorado/

Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: corky] #7227249
03/26/21 01:29 PM
03/26/21 01:29 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
The ATF can check my background all they want but should share with me whatever they find. For ten years I had top-secret clearance as a military officer, and then for 15 years I held an NASD security license, so I expect I have been checked dozens of times. Should be no secret files that we cannot read about ourselves and be able to appeal any incorrect info therein.

Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: corky] #7227277
03/26/21 02:11 PM
03/26/21 02:11 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I think the kind of background necks they mean by universal is no where close to the NICS system.

Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: corky] #7227293
03/26/21 02:50 PM
03/26/21 02:50 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
that is just it what they keep proposing is the same nics check but you have to have one even to transfer a gun to your son or daughter

what they really mean is a paper trail , of registration on every single gun everywhere

any time it is transferred it would need a paper trail of who now owns it and where it is stored

you could ask Canada how many millions or billions of dollars they wasted on this for 20 years with less than 1/100 the guns that we have and how it never did anything useful.

even in England where they are literally on an island and have had all of gun control and possibly more that they are asking for , pistols were never in wide circulation they have shootings and drugs and murder.

this isn't about protecting people

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: corky] #7227303
03/26/21 03:06 PM
03/26/21 03:06 PM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Even with King Cuomos SAFE Act in NY one can transfer long guns to your children without a background check.

Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7227376
03/26/21 04:34 PM
03/26/21 04:34 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
that is just it what they keep proposing is the same nics check but you have to have one even to transfer a gun to your son or daughter

what they really mean is a paper trail , of registration on every single gun everywhere

any time it is transferred it would need a paper trail of who now owns it and where it is stored

you could ask Canada how many millions or billions of dollars they wasted on this for 20 years with less than 1/100 the guns that we have and how it never did anything useful.

even in England where they are literally on an island and have had all of gun control and possibly more that they are asking for , pistols were never in wide circulation they have shootings and drugs and murder.

this isn't about protecting people

Exactly.
Add to that......
The other proposed parts of the laws mimic that of Mexico's gun laws. Mexico has crazy strict gun laws including mental health screenings, health screenings, background checks etc... a person must pass all the red tape then go to Mexico City get their paperwork for their gun and the gun must stay in the residence. Oh and Mexico only has 1 gun store in the country. their annual homicide by guns equals that of all US gun deaths (including suicide which is a huge big percentage) annually.

Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: corky] #7227491
03/26/21 06:50 PM
03/26/21 06:50 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
I don't like any intrusions on the 2A. That being said, how do we keep guns out of the hands of crazies? Not that I think background checks will help much; but we really have to think of something if at all possible.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: waggler] #7227523
03/26/21 07:15 PM
03/26/21 07:15 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by waggler
I don't like any intrusions on the 2A. That being said, how do we keep guns out of the hands of crazies? Not that I think background checks will help much; but we really have to think of something if at all possible.

The problem is who decides who is crazy. What you don't agree with men pretending to be woman using the same locker room as your daughter. No gun for you. You don't agree with the president, want to take experimental shots, be ashamed to be white. No guns for you. It's a slippery slope.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 03/26/21 10:43 PM.
Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: corky] #7227571
03/26/21 07:54 PM
03/26/21 07:54 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
How do they plan to enforce UBC?

You'd have to know what everyone has... AKA a registry. Never going to happen.

Or you run random sting operations like they do with prostitution... Which would be about as effective as random sting operations are in stopping prostitution.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: waggler] #7227583
03/26/21 08:08 PM
03/26/21 08:08 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma

The cold hard truth is that you can't keep guns out of their hands. The Vegas shooting should've made that abundantly clear to everyone. That guy flew under the radar his entire life.

The kid who shot up Sandy Hook killed his mother while she slept so he could access the gun safe. You can't stop someone with that kind of determination.

Mike

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: waggler] #7227694
03/26/21 09:24 PM
03/26/21 09:24 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa

The hard truth is that freedom can be a messy business.

Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: waggler] #7227890
03/27/21 12:34 AM
03/27/21 12:34 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin

they put big numbers in your face 30-40K

30K a year well even at that it is .0001%

of that 36K that they like to put up as the gun deaths they need 16-21K suicides those people wanted to end their life for one reason or another but really are of no danger to you

that leaves generally about 9-10K homicides well Chicago had about 1000 of those , add in Baltimore , Detroit , Newark , st Louise , New orleans. and you start to get on with your homicides.

as bad as these places are it is largly Felon on Felon murder in Milwakee WI there wee some numbers out that 97% of all homicides were Felon on Felon , largely drug or gang related.

so total accidents is about 500 in 330 million annually

homicde with a shotgun almost doesn;'t happen about 230-250 a year rifles are 3-400 the rest are handguns

want to see how restricting access works look at Porta Rico while they are US citizens as a territory they have very different gun laws than the states the average per 100K in the US is 4.9 per 100K for all homicide. the worst cities are about 5 per 10K often those are only 10-15 murders in smaller city east St lousie is 27K people and has about 27 homicides a year.

the average of the 50 states is 4.9/100K Porto Rico is 21/100K more than 4 times higher than the 50 states
yet they have registration , licensing and they must surrender their gun if they fail to renew the license or the person does there is no passing it to a family member.

places with the least access to a gun repeatedly have the highest murder rate.

How do you keep the crazies from getting a gun , well even if you could whats to say they don't get on a buss with a bucket of gas and a lit cigarette , it happens. they will access guns even if you can't legally. they will awlays find a way to harm if harm is the goal. the only thing you can really do is be vigilant and be ready to take out the crazy

although also understanding an actual crazy is exceedingly rate the even more rare thing is a crazy who fails the federal background check either because the courts miss reported or never reported a conviction. or they just haven't had the FBI's attention for enough consecutive months , Grocery store shooter last week was "being watched" by the FBI well fat lot of good that did.

more than 3/4 of the most deadly shooters in the last 4 years have been absolutely no stranger to the police or FBI the Orlando Night club shooter had been interviewd a few times by the FBI , Parkland shooter had police at his house something like 50 times in 18 months.

DO Not let anyone convince you a list does anything to keep you safe . the Miss use of lists is significantly more common. like news papers getting your info from an open records seach and publishing the names and address of every concealed carry permit holder in the state.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 03/27/21 01:01 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: corky] #7227891
03/27/21 12:39 AM
03/27/21 12:39 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

It's a big load a BS. First if they locked criminals up there would be less crime and 2nd have any yall checked out the tiny percentage of ppl they charge for lyin on the form (convicted felons why lie and get caught at it are prosecuted for that new offense less than 10% of the time last time I checked)

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: Leftlane] #7227903
03/27/21 01:06 AM
03/27/21 01:06 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Leftlane
It's a big load a BS. First if they locked criminals up there would be less crime and 2nd have any yall checked out the tiny percentage of ppl they charge for lyin on the form (convicted felons why lie and get caught at it are prosecuted for that new offense less than 10% of the time last time I checked)

car jacking in Milwaukee a couple years ago the criminal died trying to jack a 24 year olds car as the guy waited for work to open you can guess the guy looked to young to be carrying easy target ,but he wasn't

the dead car jacker would still be alive well at least form that incident . if he had served even 1/4 of his sentence for armed robbery , he was back on the streets after 4 months on a 48 month sentence

he hadn't been out of prison more than a few weeks

they are using the streets as the jail and the people pay the price.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 03/27/21 01:07 AM.

Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: corky] #7228000
03/27/21 08:11 AM
03/27/21 08:11 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Pete ya ever notice that at least 3/4s of the problems the guberment wants to "solve" with just a few more tax dollars and a smidge of rights taken are problems they themselves created?

I read enough of your posts I reckon ya do. It's like the dam mafia sendin their goons by to burn your store down if ya ever decide to opt out of paying them protection money

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: Leftlane] #7228012
03/27/21 08:33 AM
03/27/21 08:33 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Pete ya ever notice that at least 3/4s of the problems the guberment wants to "solve" with just a few more tax dollars and a smidge of rights taken are problems they themselves created?

I read enough of your posts I reckon ya do. It's like the dam mafia sendin their goons by to burn your store down if ya ever decide to opt out of paying them protection money

yes , I like to remind people how San Fran fixed their shop lifting issue , they made it Illegal to report any theft under 1K dollars , overnight reported shoplifting was no more.

these are the folks wanting to fix the issue you don't have YET

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 03/27/21 08:34 AM.

Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: corky] #7228019
03/27/21 08:44 AM
03/27/21 08:44 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Just more B.S. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7228109
03/27/21 11:23 AM
03/27/21 11:23 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

they put big numbers in your face 30-40K

30K a year well even at that it is .0001%

of that 36K that they like to put up as the gun deaths they need 16-21K suicides those people wanted to end their life for one reason or another but really are of no danger to you

that leaves generally about 9-10K homicides well Chicago had about 1000 of those , add in Baltimore , Detroit , Newark , st Louise , New orleans. and you start to get on with your homicides.

as bad as these places are it is largly Felon on Felon murder in Milwakee WI there wee some numbers out that 97% of all homicides were Felon on Felon , largely drug or gang related.

so total accidents is about 500 in 330 million annually

homicde with a shotgun almost doesn;'t happen about 230-250 a year rifles are 3-400 the rest are handguns

want to see how restricting access works look at Porta Rico while they are US citizens as a territory they have very different gun laws than the states the average per 100K in the US is 4.9 per 100K for all homicide. the worst cities are about 5 per 10K often those are only 10-15 murders in smaller city east St lousie is 27K people and has about 27 homicides a year.

the average of the 50 states is 4.9/100K Porto Rico is 21/100K more than 4 times higher than the 50 states
yet they have registration , licensing and they must surrender their gun if they fail to renew the license or the person does there is no passing it to a family member.

places with the least access to a gun repeatedly have the highest murder rate.

How do you keep the crazies from getting a gun , well even if you could whats to say they don't get on a buss with a bucket of gas and a lit cigarette , it happens. they will access guns even if you can't legally. they will awlays find a way to harm if harm is the goal. the only thing you can really do is be vigilant and be ready to take out the crazy

although also understanding an actual crazy is exceedingly rate the even more rare thing is a crazy who fails the federal background check either because the courts miss reported or never reported a conviction. or they just haven't had the FBI's attention for enough consecutive months , Grocery store shooter last week was "being watched" by the FBI well fat lot of good that did.

more than 3/4 of the most deadly shooters in the last 4 years have been absolutely no stranger to the police or FBI the Orlando Night club shooter had been interviewd a few times by the FBI , Parkland shooter had police at his house something like 50 times in 18 months.

DO Not let anyone convince you a list does anything to keep you safe . the Miss use of lists is significantly more common. like news papers getting your info from an open records seach and publishing the names and address of every concealed carry permit holder in the state.

...the only thing you can really do is be vigilant and be ready to take out the crazy...

Bingo.

The best you can hope for is to not be the first person to be killed by someone intent on... mayhem. And then have the opportunity and wherewithal to kill them before they kill you or others... You can't predict when and where they will proceed to make the first shot. It's a sad fact, but you just have to wait until they act before you react.

We've seen instances where preemptive measures might have prevented tragedy. And we've seen instances where there was absolutely zero indication that a person was about to commit mass murder... It makes sense to just be as prepared as you can.

It's the same reason I keep fire extinguishers in my house. I hope I never use them, but I have them if I need them.

Mike

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Universal Background Checks CO [Re: corky] #7228227
03/27/21 02:43 PM
03/27/21 02:43 PM
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Offline
trapper
Rally  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
Gun stats will always be incorrect, on both sides. Many gun related incidents are never reported. If a perp decides to break into Granny's house, Granny meets him at the door with her pump gun, who benefits by reporting the incident? Granny gets raked over the coals for reporting it, and the perp sure isn't going to report the incident. How many incidents are reported between gang wars, unless there are bodies left laying around?

Keep your boots dry
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread