No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Good first time trapping techniques/animals/traps. #7229686
03/29/21 12:40 AM
03/29/21 12:40 AM
Michigan
P
PFC Davis Offline OP
trapper
PFC Davis  Offline OP
trapper
P

Michigan
I am looking into possibly trying to trap next year and I was wondering what would be a good animal to start out with? I am almost completely new to trapping so a few good pointers about pretty much everything ranging from the size of a good beginners trap that is not too expensive to how to kill or skin it without ruining it.

Thanks

Sam

A good life tip:

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Matthew 7:3
Re: Good first time trapping techniques/animals/traps. [Re: PFC Davis] #7229705
03/29/21 02:15 AM
03/29/21 02:15 AM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Wow loaded question.

Best animal to start with is raccoon.

Best beginner trap is a 1.5 double jaw.

Beginner tip set on sign. If the target animal isn't there you can't catch it.

How not to ruin a skin is don't put extra holes in it.

How to kill an animal... dispatch is PM only. So make it a drowning set.

Now I have to pop the popcorn.

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: Good first time trapping techniques/animals/traps. [Re: PFC Davis] #7229721
03/29/21 05:29 AM
03/29/21 05:29 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Where do you live, what animals live in the area, if you have muskrats their easy to catch, easy to put up and usually DOA, and sign is mostly easy to spot and ID, and more trappers have probably started with trapping them then any other

Coon are common almost everywhere, not hard to catch if you do your part, but much harder to put up properly

Beaver are not that hard to catch, once you know how and use the proper size traps, take a bit of effort to skin and put up and not bad eating and have become common in many areas

Canines a bit harder to catch and put up but once you know how very fun and interesting to do, and few thing are more beautiful then a stack of well put up canine furs

Cat are easy to catch and just beautiful

So start with what you have and go from there,

I would recommend that you invest 20 in the Wisconsin trappers association DVD on putting up fur it one of the best resources I know of for doing it properly

And try and attend your local trappers convention it’s well worth any trouble to do so, the pure information you can get at one is awesome and the people some of the best you will ever meet, and will give you what they know freely

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Good first time trapping techniques/animals/traps. [Re: PFC Davis] #7229722
03/29/21 05:31 AM
03/29/21 05:31 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
For dispatch I would invest in one of Lee’s death rays, nuf said

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Good first time trapping techniques/animals/traps. [Re: PFC Davis] #7229739
03/29/21 06:09 AM
03/29/21 06:09 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
coon and muskrat are best to learn first, more leeway for rookie mistakes yet still have success

Here’s what helped shorten my learning curve by decades. Join your state trapping assn, and contact officers AND district reps off their site and ask for a mentor to ride along with. MANY states have their own forums. Like here in NC. And TN has 2 and Va has 2 also and KY too. A mentor helps Learn trap prep and techniques and tricks and the laws in YOUR state regarding jaw spreads, shock springs, etc, etc. (( Laws vary a lot from state to state so BEWARE of FB and utube. You can be shown things that are illegal in your state!.)) This gets you in the info loop of FREE trappers ed classes and meets and fur sales/pick ups, and conventions. Then attend ALL YOU CAN, this shows folks you are serious and will be a good student. It sure helped open many doors for me and it could for you as well. ALSO, get several different trapping supply catalogs, like MTP, Murrays, Sterling Fur, FandT, PCS, Flemings, Northern Outdoors, Trap Shack, Schmitt enterprises, Southeastern outdoor supplies, JR & Sons, Grawes, rpoutdoors, etc etc, THEN circle gear you need, and give the catalogs to loved ones to buy your Birthday and Christmas and July 4 and Easter and Anniversary gifts. Explain to them, you want their money to go towards what you will use and need, as opposed to another sweater hanging in your closet. WORKS GREAT in our family.
I was blessed to find 3 guys, so rode with 1 on 1 weekend, another the next weekend, and so on. Always offer to buy their lunch or gas while out with them too.
Hope this helps

here's a couple places to look for a mentor:
http://www.mtpca.com/contact.html
and
https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forums/michigan-trapping-and-varmint-hunting.51/

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Good first time trapping techniques/animals/traps. [Re: PFC Davis] #7229756
03/29/21 07:18 AM
03/29/21 07:18 AM
Va
R
rattrapper1234 Offline
trapper
rattrapper1234  Offline
trapper
R

Va
I ran a half dozen dp's my first season and did pretty good on coons, they get you to think about setting on sign. Last year which was my second season trapping, I ran a water line for mink rats coon and beaver, and next year I'm trying predator trapping. I would start with coon and then work up from there. The hardest part for me has been learning good fur put up.

Re: Good first time trapping techniques/animals/traps. [Re: PFC Davis] #7229796
03/29/21 08:51 AM
03/29/21 08:51 AM
Michigan
P
PFC Davis Offline OP
trapper
PFC Davis  Offline OP
trapper
P

Michigan
So what are your thoughts on possums? because where I live (we have some woods) those are the most plentiful, though sometimes I will see racoon prints and hear coyotes in the woods. I would prefer to start on my own property and we don't have much to any standing water on it

A good life tip:

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Re: Good first time trapping techniques/animals/traps. [Re: PFC Davis] #7229805
03/29/21 09:16 AM
03/29/21 09:16 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
you will catch opossums as a non-target in ANY set, many thin them early season with cages so when the fur is prime they are mostly outa the way.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Good first time trapping techniques/animals/traps. [Re: PFC Davis] #7229809
03/29/21 09:20 AM
03/29/21 09:20 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Possum? Well pretty much any set you make in land, any bait or lure you use will catch possum. Best possum set i know of is a predator set you took a longer than normal time making. Possum will get in line for a "perfect" canine set lol

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Good first time trapping techniques/animals/traps. [Re: PFC Davis] #7229829
03/29/21 09:59 AM
03/29/21 09:59 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I’d buy a freezer over the summer that will take the pressure off of you to not to do things your not sure about yet, it allows you a “time out”. It will allow you to do new things when it’s slow and to freeze what your not sure about or cannot get to if things get busy. Depending on who your selling to you might have options to sell in the carcass or in the grease to start as put up supplies are not cheap to gather up.

If you learn how to skin then roll and freeze that option is a space saver you can pack a lot of furs in a smaller space as carcass animals are a pain stuffed into a freezer to work around. Find someone to show you how to case skin so you know where to skin and when to skin VS pulling a hide to speed things up.

Learn the basics first is number one.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Good first time trapping techniques/animals/traps. [Re: PFC Davis] #7229834
03/29/21 10:09 AM
03/29/21 10:09 AM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Samuel, what county are you in?
(You can P.M. the answer if you'd prefer)

Last edited by J.Morse; 03/29/21 10:10 AM.

Re: Good first time trapping techniques/animals/traps. [Re: PFC Davis] #7229843
03/29/21 10:31 AM
03/29/21 10:31 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If you dont have access to a good trapping education course at least get a hold of a good trapping manual for your area.Also get a hold of the trapping regulations for your area.
You dont want to go out and break any laws you are unaware of.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Good first time trapping techniques/animals/traps. [Re: PFC Davis] #7229859
03/29/21 11:10 AM
03/29/21 11:10 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Go here and educate yourself!

Trapperman archive

Who is John Galt?
Re: Good first time trapping techniques/animals/traps. [Re: PFC Davis] #7229931
03/29/21 01:30 PM
03/29/21 01:30 PM
Michigan
P
PFC Davis Offline OP
trapper
PFC Davis  Offline OP
trapper
P

Michigan
Will do asap.

A good life tip:

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread