No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7229437
03/28/21 08:34 PM
03/28/21 08:34 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
You guys have convinced me. No more snaring coyotes and I'm only going to use the BMP recommended 1/8" cable snares for fox. That should show the public I'm professional and care about the animals I kill for sport.

Professional: engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.

Uh Oh! blush

Last edited by Dirt; 03/28/21 09:36 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7229820
03/29/21 09:41 AM
03/29/21 09:41 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Just to be clear i have not now or ever pushed for the BMPs to be pushed on us by any government or organization. If that's wrong than show me where i posted it and i will own up to my mistake.

What i am for is that trappers take it upon themselves to implement the practices that work the best for you on your line help keep injury to a minimum until you decide what to do with it. I've said this many times but yet my words get completely turned around at best and was miss quoted more times than i care to count. Do some of you guys work for cnn?

Also i feel the states and trappers organizations should not automatically implement this stuff, but should at least look at it and reccomend it. Imo it would be a mistake to turn their backs on it.

Hopefully most of us and our states can keep a good public perception of trapping so it will be here for generations to come. But however if the wrong people get too much power and are bent on ending our way of life, then there may be a time to bring BMPs into the discussion.

I can see where steeltraps stands on being a part of any trappers organizations. And Wilbur deflected the question nicely. Remember this, 10% of us carry the other 90%. 90% of trappers have an excuse no matter how pathetic it is.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7229841
03/29/21 10:29 AM
03/29/21 10:29 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
"Imo the states should have been proactive on this long ago. "

pro·ac·tive
/prōˈaktiv/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
adjective: proactive; adjective: pro-active

(of a person, policy, or action) creating or controlling a situation by causing something to happen rather than responding to it after it has happened.

Who is John Galt?
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7229890
03/29/21 11:56 AM
03/29/21 11:56 AM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
RPmartain = Steeltraps has no problem join and or giving money or join organizations. AND has given money too them. Just because I dont have a tag line of all the organizations i am a member of doesnt mean anything. To be homest. Is none of you bussiness. You like to brag about all the organizations you support. And list them I guess so you can show how great you are? You have no idea what groups i am lifetime members of. And what groups of trapping I support! You just assume , because you crave attention that im not a member of anything. But to be honest. I dont care what you think. I will always responed back to you comments. Because i am not afraid of a fight with liberal sympathizer like you. Next?

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: Dirt] #7229898
03/29/21 12:38 PM
03/29/21 12:38 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Dirt
"Imo the states should have been proactive on this long ago. "

pro·ac·tive
/prōˈaktiv/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
adjective: proactive; adjective: pro-active

(of a person, policy, or action) creating or controlling a situation by causing something to happen rather than responding to it after it has happened.

I didn't say they should implement it. You can twist it anyway you want to.

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7229919
03/29/21 01:10 PM
03/29/21 01:10 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by rpmartin
Not sure if your asking me, i am recommending that state and national organizations don't turn their back on the bmps and say no way we ain't going there. Because imo it is coming whether we like it or not. So we may as well deal with it and use it as a negotiation or bargaining chip so we don't lose it all. Looks to me like a whole lot of guys are willing to draw a line in the sand and saying no to bmp no mattwr what happens.
I think recommending bmps is a good move on your states part.

Is there a better alternative to bmps? Better than just saying no?

I can guarantee you everyone reading this, including myself took you as saying it should be implemented.

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7229921
03/29/21 01:12 PM
03/29/21 01:12 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by hippie
I'm still not sure what your after. State association's I just looked at have the BMP's linked to their site so are you wanting them to do more or what?

Your state has it linked, so start there, what more should they do?

My first post asked what people thought of bmps and what states views on this were? I would like to know if new Mexico supports bmps or not. And if they reccomend bmps were they willing to implement them to help save trapping? I wonder why so many people are completely against bmps.

Here your asking but kinda insinuating they should be implemented.

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7229937
03/29/21 01:40 PM
03/29/21 01:40 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by steeltraps
I can tell you one thing. You sound and act like a liberal too me! I cant tell much difference With lots of you liberals and liberal sympathcizers. You talk about BMP like its a way to keep trapping going? Its crap. They will just take more and more if you give them an inch they will take a mile. People like you are the reason that ranchers are suffering. Oh no ! Lets be kind to the coyotes that are killing our cattle and sheep. I will say its just like i feel. IF i can climb up a tree and drop a 40 lb rock on a calf killing coyote. I will if thats what needs to be done. I kill coyotes for a living. I do it on private land. What bussiness. Do you. Or anyone esle have in tell a man how to protect his stock??? Our 4 fathers would kill a wolf or coyote by any means nessassary. Period!!! I may move to West Texas because their. I will always have a job killing coyotes

Ok steeltraps, im sure that will go along way in keeping our trapping rights. Right on man, go get em. I'm absolutely positive that the lawmakers would take your word over any others all day long.
Well folks there you go, want to know why you lost trapping, well there you go. Coming to a trapping area near you!!

If that isn't meant to advocate what would you call it?

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7229996
03/29/21 03:22 PM
03/29/21 03:22 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Just the other day there was discussion among some professional trappers and some non-professional trappers about whether 220's will work on beavers. Being a professional, I know they will in certain situations. Not recommended for beavers in non submersion sets by BMPs.

Who is John Galt?
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7230018
03/29/21 03:47 PM
03/29/21 03:47 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Theyre not recommended for anything on public land in alot of the lower 48.I've killed A lot of beaver in 220s,all in water sets.There's a reason why their illegal for dry land use on public land in most states,and it has nothing to do with animal rights activists.Do I feel like I'm "over regulated"because of it?Not at all.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #7230021
03/29/21 03:52 PM
03/29/21 03:52 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Online content
The Count
~ADC~  Online Content
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
Theyre not recommended for anything on public land in alot of the lower 48.I've killed A lot of beaver in 220s,all in water sets.There's a reason why their illegal for dry land use on public land in most states,and it has nothing to do with animal rights activists.Do I feel like I'm "over regulated"because of it?Not at all.

You should. We use them.

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7230040
03/29/21 04:07 PM
03/29/21 04:07 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Wrong. 280s and 330's are recommended by BMPs all day long and twice on Sunday in non submersion sets. You guys recommending BMPs, should read them.

† Bodygrip (on land or submersion)

Who is John Galt?
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7230043
03/29/21 04:08 PM
03/29/21 04:08 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Before they were outlawed on state land here I did.

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: Dirt] #7230046
03/29/21 04:10 PM
03/29/21 04:10 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Originally Posted by Dirt
Wrong. 280s and 330's are recommended by BMPs all day long and twice on Sunday in non submersion sets. You guys recommending BMPs, should read them.

† Bodygrip (on land or submersion)

I wasn't talking about Recommended by BMPs,I'm talking about our state game laws

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: hippie] #7230051
03/29/21 04:20 PM
03/29/21 04:20 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by hippie
Not sure if your asking me, i am recommending that state and national organizations don't turn their back on the bmps and say no way we ain't going there. Because imo it is coming whether we like it or not. So we may as well deal with it and use it as a negotiation or bargaining chip so we don't lose it all. Looks to me like a whole lot of guys are willing to draw a line in the sand and saying no to bmp no mattwr what happens.
I think recommending bmps is a good move on your states part.

Is there a better alternative to bmps? Better than just saying no?

I can guarantee you everyone reading this, including myself took you as saying it should be implemented.

You folks can interpret it however you want. Twisting and turning my words to fit your agenda sounds like I'm watching cnn.

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: steeltraps] #7230055
03/29/21 04:30 PM
03/29/21 04:30 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by steeltraps
RPmartain = Steeltraps has no problem join and or giving money or join organizations. AND has given money too them. Just because I dont have a tag line of all the organizations i am a member of doesnt mean anything. To be homest. Is none of you bussiness. You like to brag about all the organizations you support. And list them I guess so you can show how great you are? You have no idea what groups i am lifetime members of. And what groups of trapping I support! You just assume , because you crave attention that im not a member of anything. But to be honest. I dont care what you think. I will always responed back to you comments. Because i am not afraid of a fight with liberal sympathizer like you. Next?

It's easy to see how you stand on the subject. Anyone that is a member would be proud to say so. Anyone that is not a member would give the answer you gave.

When the wrong people get control of your state and want to stop trapping, what are you going to do? Your going to hope an organization steps in and helps stop it. That and you and Wilbur will start a pillow fight with the antis.

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7230058
03/29/21 04:40 PM
03/29/21 04:40 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
"Avoiding Entanglements
Foothold traps and cable devices when staked should be set so the captured animal
cannot entangle the anchoring system in any object. These devices should not be set
near fences or farm equipment. Trap sites should be cleared of all objects (e.g. rocks,
logs, and rooted, woody stems) that could be reached by the captured animal and
become entangled in the anchoring chain or cable. This usually means some clearing
work with pruning shears, a hatchet, or a saw. The area that needs to be free of
entangling objects depends on the size of the target animal and the length of the
anchoring system (Figure 21). If the trap anchoring system becomes entangled with
objects at the set, the swiveling system may become inoperable"

Who is John Galt?
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7230072
03/29/21 04:58 PM
03/29/21 04:58 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Online content
The Count
~ADC~  Online Content
The Count

Iowa
Exactly the type of BS that is found all throughout the BMPs dirt. It should definitely NOT be used as a guideline for all areas. It's designed to limit trappers and appease people who can not be appeased. No thank you!

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7230074
03/29/21 04:59 PM
03/29/21 04:59 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Rpmartin = More liberal garbage. When the wrong people do this, or when that happens, or whwn the anti”s do this, or when BLM riots, or when goats swim for their lives . So by your liberal lodgic = we should accept it and move on? O my BMP practices are coming sooner or latter!! Thats like saying =In the future we will all be forced to drive electric cars SO lets all run out and buy a electric car today and start running our trap lines will tomorrow!!! Make no sense to me to set back and except this load of horse poop! What will i do ?? Keep fighting I will keep trapping no matter what. If they outlaw guns = only us outlaws will have guns is my attitude!!! Your bleak = bend over and kiss rhe anti”s rear end is the reason this country is in the shape its in. Your a liberal sympathizer. I can spot them a mile away.

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7230086
03/29/21 05:11 PM
03/29/21 05:11 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
You folks can interpret it however you want. Twisting and turning my words to fit your agenda sounds like I'm watching cnn.

I don't see anyone else spinning as much as you. You come on here as a Johnny come lately preaching the BMP's will save trapping. Then shift gears to mandatory trapper education and back again. Where were you when BMP came about? If you had been on here you would of heard a lot more dissension. The extra swivels and laminations were things trappers came up with BEFORE the BMPs were even being looked at.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread