No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Near the end of my coon tanning this year... #7229644
03/28/21 11:19 PM
03/28/21 11:19 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Well, my coon tanning for this year is winding down. I have two more coon and one grinner thawing to start in the process tomorrow. I still have 15 to 20 rats to do, but won't start them until later in week. I was just starting to get a good grip on the coon, now will have to wait until next winter . By then I will have forgot everything I learned this year. That is another one of those things getting older throws at you... you have to keep doing something or it slips out of sight and mind.

The coon I talked about a week or so ago that weighed in at almost 28 pounds, and had been frozen for 6/7 years.... boy was that son-of-gun thick skinned and was 34 inches long. I don't don't know what that exact size is (can't find my chart) but somewhere around XXXL I would say...

Well, As I said earlier I hope to get everything written down so maybe that will ring enough bells when winter rolls around again.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Near the end of my coon tanning this year... [Re: Actor] #7229658
03/28/21 11:48 PM
03/28/21 11:48 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
Cool! Are you selling the fur you tanned or making things with them?

Cold as ice!
Re: Near the end of my coon tanning this year... [Re: Jurassic Park] #7229684
03/29/21 12:30 AM
03/29/21 12:30 AM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Cool! Are you selling the fur you tanned or making things with them?

I am going to make some hats... I hope... But I am am going to sell some of the rats and coon if someone is interested in them.

Garry-

Last edited by Actor; 03/29/21 12:31 AM.

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Re: Near the end of my coon tanning this year... [Re: Actor] #7230107
03/29/21 05:53 PM
03/29/21 05:53 PM
PA
T
Tye dye trapper Offline
trapper
Tye dye trapper  Offline
trapper
T

PA
Nice, I am thinking of going for a fur blanket next year.

Re: Near the end of my coon tanning this year... [Re: Tye dye trapper] #7230450
03/29/21 11:10 PM
03/29/21 11:10 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Originally Posted by Tye dye trapper
Nice, I am thinking of going for a fur blanket next year.

What fur are you going to use for your blanket? When I was doing some of the coon, I thought that might make a nice blanket. Although, it would be a very heavy blanket. I can imagine how heavy the the full length raccoon coats of the 20 and 30's must have weighed. I don't think I would care to hand sew that many coon or beaver together. If I person had a Bonis machine that would be a lot easier and more efficient.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Garry-

Re: Near the end of my coon tanning this year... [Re: Actor] #7231881
03/31/21 01:59 PM
03/31/21 01:59 PM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI
My hands wont let me do much sewing, I wish I had a bonis, id be tanning alot more fur for projects

Re: Near the end of my coon tanning this year... [Re: Actor] #7231958
03/31/21 04:20 PM
03/31/21 04:20 PM
PA
T
Tye dye trapper Offline
trapper
Tye dye trapper  Offline
trapper
T

PA
Yes most definitely will try a raccoon fur blanket, it could be my first and last blanket 😄

Re: Near the end of my coon tanning this year... [Re: Actor] #7232288
03/31/21 10:55 PM
03/31/21 10:55 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Wow! I was cleaning up today from the last 2 coon that I am presently tanning. I had them rolled and wrapped together and frozen. I looked at the bag they were wrapped in and I didn't have a date on it. I did remember a piece of cardboard that fell out of the package, but didn't bother to look for it when I was done laying them out. I remembered it today when I was cleaning up and saw it laying on the floor under my chair. I was the date that I caught, skinned and froze them. The date was 12/13/ 2010. They were in very good shape for being froze for 10 years, 3 months, 15 days.

So, for those that have ask (many Times) over the years... "How long can you leave a pelt frozen"?

Garry-

Re: Near the end of my coon tanning this year... [Re: Actor] #7232526
04/01/21 09:52 AM
04/01/21 09:52 AM
PA
T
Tye dye trapper Offline
trapper
Tye dye trapper  Offline
trapper
T

PA
Great thanks for sharing, I will keep that in mind when trying to compete my fur projects.

Re: Near the end of my coon tanning this year... [Re: Actor] #7232535
04/01/21 09:57 AM
04/01/21 09:57 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Actor
Well, my coon tanning for this year is winding down. I have two more coon and one grinner thawing to start in the process tomorrow. I still have 15 to 20 rats to do, but won't start them until later in week. I was just starting to get a good grip on the coon, now will have to wait until next winter . By then I will have forgot everything I learned this year. That is another one of those things getting older throws at you... you have to keep doing something or it slips out of sight and mind.

The coon I talked about a week or so ago that weighed in at almost 28 pounds, and had been frozen for 6/7 years.... boy was that son-of-gun thick skinned and was 34 inches long. I don't don't know what that exact size is (can't find my chart) but somewhere around XXXL I would say...

Well, As I said earlier I hope to get everything written down so maybe that will ring enough bells when winter rolls around again.

Garry-

Write it down in a tanning journal...to remember

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Near the end of my coon tanning this year... [Re: Actor] #7233079
04/01/21 11:48 PM
04/01/21 11:48 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Originally Posted by Actor

So, for those that have ask (many Times) over the years... "How long can you leave a pelt frozen"?

Garry-

I should follow up with the full details of the freezing that I use... I have posted this before, but again for those not seeing before.

MY METHOD OF FREEZING PELTS

Remove skin from animal, DO NOT remove the fat etc. from the hide... Turn fur out... Lay pelt flat... Start at the nose (pressing all of air out)... Roll as tight as possible continuing to press air out...
Animal with fur on tails fold tail up in the roll of fur...

I use as small bag as possible... Place rolled pelt in bag with the open end of the pelt place in first... compress the bag as you roll the loose end up tight... When bag is rolled tight.. place it in the second... again concentrating on keeping air out. Place 1 or 2 rubber bands around the bundle.

Write date with magic marker on outside of bag, including how many critters are in the bag.

There is also a procedure I use in the freezer. Especially if you use a deep freezer.

Place one or more layers of corrugated cardboard in the area of the freezer that is going to be containing the fur pelts. You do not want the bagged or loose pelts touching the metal sides of your freezer.
If you are lucky enough to find a large enough corrugated cardboard that will fit fairly securely in the freezer area, lay loose pieces of cardboard on sides and bottom, then place you box on top of that.

Contrary to popular belief, I pack my pelts rolls as tight as I can. Of course I don't have large quantities of animals I am packing at any one time.

I guess if there is a motto to this, it would be "OXYGEN IS NOT A FRIEND OF FROZEN PELTS"

Garry-

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread