No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Need some help.. #7230866
03/30/21 03:06 PM
03/30/21 03:06 PM
Indiana
SecretSquirrel Offline OP
trapper
SecretSquirrel  Offline OP
trapper

Indiana
Hey guys, high school student here, I need a little help on a project. I am part of my school's FFA chapter, and I am very involved with it, on the officer team, multiple contests, etc. But I need some guidance, one of our contests which is a called an LDE contest (Leadership Development Event), requires me to make an demonstration of something to present to three judges, which I am them scored and then placed up against other demos in my area of my demo. For the past three years I have been in the Natural Resource demonstration, and could do better. What I am asking for is some good ideas of a trapping demonstration, has to be under 10 minutes, and able to be moved. Its more of a demonstration of how to do something, rather than a presentation of what something is. So if anyone had some good ideas that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Need some help.. [Re: SecretSquirrel] #7230876
03/30/21 03:23 PM
03/30/21 03:23 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
you could do a simple dirt hole set.

use a shallow rubber maid tub with peat moss to keep it lighter

short stakes just 3 inches long or so that you tap in

dig your hole, bed your trap , a tuff of poly fill under the pan be explaining the why as you go

do it with gloves on and when you explain how the k9 working the set is kept at the set by the lure it can't get to down the hole , as it dances around and digs it steps in the pan and set the trap off on your hand , you can use a duke 1.5 or something fairly small , but if you can without skipping a beat explain that the trap holds without any major foot damage so that non targets can be released.

you make believers when they see that trap on your hand and all your fingers still there , no gushing blood , they realize they were lied to by someone and it wasn't likely to be the guy with his hand in the trap.

and practice getting yourself out stepping on the levers

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Need some help.. [Re: SecretSquirrel] #7230879
03/30/21 03:24 PM
03/30/21 03:24 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
can it be normal setting demos?
like hanging a snare, blended in, etc, then setting a body grip maybe on a leaning pole, then make a flat set with a foothold, just bring a cow pie for backer., or the flat rock/triple pebble set?
A flat set would eliminate digging a dirt hole and speed ya up some.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Need some help.. [Re: SecretSquirrel] #7230882
03/30/21 03:26 PM
03/30/21 03:26 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
...and at the end, with your gloved hand, stick into the foothold to show them it does NOT break bones, like some ANTI propaganda misleads the public with.
I have a #2 with WEAK springs I use for this trick

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Need some help.. [Re: SecretSquirrel] #7230912
03/30/21 03:59 PM
03/30/21 03:59 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
My daughter did one of those demos in FFA, Her and a teammate gelded horses . They didn't place for some reason LOL

Re: Need some help.. [Re: SecretSquirrel] #7231107
03/30/21 07:34 PM
03/30/21 07:34 PM
Indiana
SecretSquirrel Offline OP
trapper
SecretSquirrel  Offline OP
trapper

Indiana
That tub dirt hole set seems like a pretty slick idea.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread