No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Whitetail Brassica Food Plots #7232354
04/01/21 04:38 AM
04/01/21 04:38 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline OP
trapper
Eagleye  Offline OP
trapper
E

Wisconsin
We have several food plots and browse plots through out our property, a total of 50 acres of a corn and bean rotation and all current food plots containing Legumes. I was planning to plant our gun stand shooting lanes and plots in Brassicas this year, my thought process is: drawing post rut bucks into these plots when crops are down and deer are looking for a higher carbohydrate level food source. There’s been a debate over Brassica benefits, some say it causes anemia, diarrhea and higher abortion rates among does, others saying it’s the most beneficial for post frost and winter feed. These plots would be ½ to ¾ acre, so my concern about impacting the herd health is minimized by my scale. Does anyone in a northern climate have experience good or bad with:
Rape
Kale
Turnips
Radishes
Or other Brassicas??

Re: Whitetail Brassica Food Plots [Re: Eagleye] #7232361
04/01/21 05:07 AM
04/01/21 05:07 AM
Valders, WI
Alex the dog Offline
trapper
Alex the dog  Offline
trapper

Valders, WI
Hi Eagleye,
I’m in Manitowoc County and have planted 1-3ac brassica plots for the last 15+ years with no issues. They are a good draw after snow is on the ground and through the winter. Brassicas are heavy nitrogen users and ungerminated seed will sprout the following year. With the plots you described I think it would be a nice addition. Sometimes it does take a year or two for deer to figure out what the plants are before feeding on them so don’t be discouraged right away.

Good luck!

Dave

Forever in debt to my Father who introduced me to trapping.
May I be half the man he was.
Re: Whitetail Brassica Food Plots [Re: Alex the dog] #7232363
04/01/21 05:12 AM
04/01/21 05:12 AM
vermont
V
vermontster Offline
trapper
vermontster  Offline
trapper
V

vermont
Originally Posted by Alex the dog
Hi Eagleye,
I’m in Manitowoc County and have planted 1-3ac brassica plots for the last 15+ years with no issues. They are a good draw after snow is on the ground and through the winter. Brassicas are heavy nitrogen users and ungerminated seed will sprout the following year. With the plots you described I think it would be a nice addition. Sometimes it does take a year or two for deer to figure out what the plants are before feeding on them so don’t be discouraged right away.

Good luck!

Dave

X2 with soil samples and proper PH levels and after the brassica gets about 6" high and turns a pale green/yellow you need to apply a small amount of nitrogen and then it will develop nicely .

The bitterness of poor quality last a lot longer than the sweetness of low price
Re: Whitetail Brassica Food Plots [Re: Eagleye] #7232476
04/01/21 08:43 AM
04/01/21 08:43 AM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
Originally Posted by Eagleye
. There’s been a debate over Brassica benefits, some say it causes anemia, diarrhea and higher abortion rates among does, others saying it’s the most beneficial for post frost and winter feed.

There is no debate, the only people to even suggest any possible health issues are those trying to sell another type of seed. In short, they're full of crap and lack any real morals. Now, brassicas are also far from the "most beneficial" food plot choice, I've never even heard that claim. They're just a fun crop to hunt over.
I much prefer to apply N before planting because it lets me work it into the soil without worrying about getting rain at the perfect time and the right amount. I've tried a variety of different brassicas and I've settled on a mix of rape seed and turnips, it provides a nice mix of leaves and bulbs. I like to plant late July/early Dec, and I've found the best growth comes when I plow and then disk. They'll grow without plowing, but they really prefer the loose soil.

Re: Whitetail Brassica Food Plots [Re: Eagleye] #7232487
04/01/21 09:11 AM
04/01/21 09:11 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
I plant brassicas around the first of august. Our bow season starts about 6 weeks after that and they are doing well as long as we get enough water. I usually plant a mix: Dikon radishes, sugar beets, turnips, forage rape. I have found that if you plant buckwheat they will hammer it right away and the others really attract the deer more after the first hard frost. I live on a dang sand dune, so I have to fertilize the heck out of it and it needs water. Deer can mow down an acre of this stuff in a shocking hurry when they are hitting it every night.

Re: Whitetail Brassica Food Plots [Re: Eagleye] #7232542
04/01/21 10:06 AM
04/01/21 10:06 AM
West Cent IL
illinideer Offline
trapper
illinideer  Offline
trapper

West Cent IL
I'm not north but in west central IL When the weather doesn't wipe them out for me I have had good success with them in plots. Either they got flooded out or drought Because of that I have gotten away from brassica's. The majority of my plots are winter rye and red clover in the winter the deer are all over the rye and once spring comes, them and the turkeys start hitting the young clover. In my creek bottom I let the rye go. The doe's usually dump their fawns out there and it makes great cover for them. I'll mow a few lanes for them here and there. The only down side is that it makes lot of plant material to get worked back in for redoing in the fall. I have about 7 acres of plots broken up into 1/4 and 1/2 acre kill holes. Plus a pair of 2 acre ladino clover plots.
If you can find it I bought the book Ultimate Deer Food Plots By Spinazzola a few years ago it a good read
J

Coyote 5 Badger 1
Coons 17
Bobcats 2 Released
Grinners All of them
USN AE2 VF-31 Tomcatters
Retired SMSGT IL ANG 183 Fighter Wing
Coyote U Class #4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread