No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Electric fence question [Re: Osagian] #7233254
04/02/21 09:35 AM
04/02/21 09:35 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Originally Posted by Osagian
A few years ago deer and rabbits were eating were eating tomato plants in my garden as fast as I could plant them. A salesman at the local farm store advised me to buy one of his $20 small fence chargers( my garden was just 15' by 30') make a ring of wire 6" or so off the ground and hook it up to the charger. Worked like a champ. Must of gave all the critters a memory because I was able to take it down after a week . I drove short pieces of rebar in the ground and then slid a 1' piece of PVC piper over the rebar and then drilled a 1/4" hole in the PVC pipe and strung cheap form wire through the holes.

C + E = P
Cheap + all kinds of Effective = Perfect

When I had to pen multiple horses at some big rodeos the price of a stall tee'd me off so I parked under a big shade tree and rigged a set of corals for the remuda.

I used T posts, put the soft rubber caps on them but the elec fence tape grounded right thu them so I used short tarp straps round the posts and hooked them to D rings I put on the fence backwards so the tape stayed vertical and looked like a white fence (1st time I used 2 strands and one they were used to it I backed off to only 1.)

I was able to pull it so tight the corner posts started to bend in but that was easy to cure b/c I had left some rebar stakes in the bed of the p/u that had slid up under the tool box. I didnt want to make a 2nd trip to TSC so I used elec fence tape for the guy wire and it worked out great. Ropin and doggin horses wouldn't go near it and I wasn't hauling any broncs at the time.

Cheap and effective

Last edited by Leftlane; 04/02/21 09:37 AM. Reason: I got big thumbs and type terribly on this phone

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Electric fence question [Re: ZAC] #7233267
04/02/21 09:48 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The theory of newly installed electric fence goes like this: whenever possible installed a single wire as close to nose level of the animal you are tryin to keep in (or out for you green thumb sod bustin types.

Then flag it or make it highly visible (the tape for horses is not only white but many have reflective strands for night time). You can use plastic water bottles or even white flaggin or strips from and old T shirt just make sure they see it. They wasnt to smell it and put their wet noses up to sniff. That wet nose makes a perfect semi conductor and they get hit so hard they think lightning struck.

After they are trained the flagging can come down and more times than not you could actually shut the fence off and they will still stay clear of it.

Pro trip. Dig a post hole beside your ground and water it heavily.
It will be much more effective. You could probably also install one of those drip hoses around and under your new garden fence and the combo of wet nose standing on wet ground with watered down grounding point and wow. It would hit like the ladies stun guns they sell at the gun shows.
grin

Re: Electric fence question [Re: ZAC] #7233268
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
The separate grounded wire to go along with the hot wire on top is the right way, but there are variables. Board fences have a board side and a framing side.....which is on the outside? Coon can't get past......will grab to pull themselves over.....a hot wire on top. Only 2 or 3 inches above boards or they will go under it.....and fur may limit shock. Goal is to get a paw on the hot wire while in contact with the grounded wire.....and preferably a foot/paw on both at the same time.

If framing side to to outside, coon will likely always to go a post and climb it like a ladder. A hot wire near the ground may get stepped over (unless baited), and is a maintenance issue to keep from grounding out. So getting wire up high will work, but you have to find a way to get him standing on the grounded wire when he grabs hot wire on top to pull himself over. If framing side is out, he will step over most single wires. So best ground system up high is either a single, sturdy wire on a stand off....will use it as a ladder rung.......or better yet, a short piece of woven wire or chicken wire that he has to be in contact with....can't avoid.......when he reaches for the hot wire. That works for either frame side or board side. If there was objection to the woven wire, at least 2 or 3 single strands of grounded wire located 2 or 3 inches apart will mean he will be touching or standing on those grounds when he grabs the hot.

Re: Electric fence question [Re: ZAC] #7233276
04/02/21 09:55 AM
04/02/21 09:55 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Pro tip # 2 (if you use wire). You can basically make the perfect flags from anything that is both highly visible + conducts a current. Do this by using alum foil rolled up to be several layers thick or cut strands or leftover elec fencing tape that can be found anywhere. It comes in big spools so half the tack rooms or horse trailers in the country will have a dab or it left over.

The animal touches the flag, gets hit, sees flags all the way around your garden spot and decides to visit the closest neighbor from now on.

Re: Electric fence question [Re: ZAC] #7233280
04/02/21 09:59 AM
04/02/21 09:59 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Ok that is all the wisdom I am sharin with you fools today, yall can just be ignorant from now on but at least you have half a chance of harvesting some of her rabbit feed LOL.

I am bettering Sharon, Andrew, Jeb, the Bull Fighter or anyone else who is half handy with the livestock will back up my previous posts. Electric fencin is the hot (pun) set up but you gotta train the critters to it for it to work right.

Re: Electric fence question [Re: ZAC] #7233301
04/02/21 10:24 AM
04/02/21 10:24 AM
Northern Missouri
Northmocats Offline
trapper
Northmocats  Offline
trapper

Northern Missouri
I've put in Miles and Miles of Fence... Your Ground Rods on your Electric fence is what makes your Fence nice and Hot... Run Several ground rods and tie them in together. Like others said the animal has to be grounded once touching the wire... Otherwise its like birds sitting on hot fence wire, nothing happens.

Re: Electric fence question [Re: ZAC] #7233304
04/02/21 10:30 AM
04/02/21 10:30 AM
wantage n.j.
E
eric space Offline
trapper
eric space  Offline
trapper
E

wantage n.j.
For bears and coons wrap raw bacon around the wire. They grab that with their mouth and the voltage gets them right where they are wettest. Otherwise they will quickly learn to slip their heads under the wire and let it slide down their back on top of their fur. Unless their fur is wet they receive little or no shock that way.

Re: Electric fence question [Re: ZAC] #7233967
04/03/21 06:45 AM
04/03/21 06:45 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Dang Eric I'd never heard of flaggin a wire with bacon but I bet that would cure a bear from comin around and I mean right now.

Great tip

Re: Electric fence question [Re: ZAC] #7233995
04/03/21 08:15 AM
04/03/21 08:15 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
I guess the foil flags with PB we hang to keep deer out the garden would work on coon too.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Electric fence question [Re: ZAC] #7233997
04/03/21 08:21 AM
04/03/21 08:21 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Good idea Trapper John. Salt it for additional flavor LOL

Re: Electric fence question [Re: ZAC] #7234015
04/03/21 08:43 AM
04/03/21 08:43 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Thanks. Or sprinkle fruity jello powder on th PB.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Electric fence question [Re: Leftlane] #7235242
04/04/21 09:17 PM
04/04/21 09:17 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Pro tip # 2 (if you use wire). You can basically make the perfect flags from anything that is both highly visible + conducts a current. Do this by using alum foil rolled up to be several layers thick or cut strands or leftover elec fencing tape that can be found anywhere. It comes in big spools so half the tack rooms or horse trailers in the country will have a dab or it left over.

The animal touches the flag, gets hit, sees flags all the way around your garden spot and decides to visit the closest neighbor from now on.

For flagging we tie aluminum cans on our hot wires with tie wire . The cans resonate any vibration or wind vibration through the banjo tight wire very well . If somthing hits it it makes noise for 30 seconds or more With a slight wind you can always here the fence . You can fold the cans over the wire in a pinch but the partialy collapsed cans dont resonate as well .

Last edited by Bigfoot; 04/04/21 09:19 PM.
Re: Electric fence question [Re: ZAC] #7235249
04/04/21 09:33 PM
04/04/21 09:33 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
We always liked to put the ground rods near the water hydrant. Especially if it was used for dog water or something else that got water every day like chickens or ? That way when you cleaned the bucket or bowl it kept the ground damp around the grounding rods.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread