No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Getting into Meat Chickens.... [Re: seniortrap] #7226288
03/25/21 03:26 PM
03/25/21 03:26 PM
PA
H
hooftrimmer20 Offline
trapper
hooftrimmer20  Offline
trapper
H

PA
Originally Posted by seniortrap
I can get birds dressed out for from $1.85-$2.00 each by the Amish here locally. No mess for me. And their really clean.

Then I bring them home and Vacuum pack them and freeze them.

same here . . at 1.75/bird I'll continue to pay them to do it . . Ive always vacuum packed but may look into those heat shrink bags now after reading this post

3%
Re: Getting into Meat Chickens.... [Re: yote_trapper20] #7234847
04/04/21 10:26 AM
04/04/21 10:26 AM
SW MISSOURI
R
Rockfarmer Offline
trapper
Rockfarmer  Offline
trapper
R

SW MISSOURI
So when do you guys move your birds outside? These little poop monsters will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. Temps here are supposed to be right at 50 overnight next couple of weeks and around 70 thru the day. They will have 8x12 chicken tractor with a tarp wrapped around one end for shelter.

www.nationwidecartparts.com
3rd Infantry Division
1st Infantry Division
U.S. ARMY
Re: Getting into Meat Chickens.... [Re: yote_trapper20] #7234861
04/04/21 10:57 AM
04/04/21 10:57 AM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
Raised a lot of birds. 125-250 at a time. Also killed them in those big batches. Haven’t raised any for a few years though. Some good advice here, some not(same time to feed 15 as 500? Lol). Far and away my biggest problem was death loss. From predators to heat. I could right a book! But only experience will tell you about your particular area and how to negate problems. Best part is raising your own protein. The best best part is if you have kids. This is a wonderful and amazing experience for youngsters. From start to finish they can be involved and handle dang near every aspect of it. No fear of large animals, safety etc. to worry about. Born and raised on a real livestock farm. No hobby bs here. Cattle pigs and chickens. Why did I stop? The hassle of marketing the birds. I live far away from rich folks who’ll pay $15-$20 a bird. To sell at farmers markets here, the birds have to be killed in a federally inspected facility. I did on farm kill and could legally sell thousands so long as they sold straight off farm. Got wore out on that. Also keeping my kill crew became a hassle. Some knowledge is required to cleanly butcher a chicken for package and sell. Most we ever did was around 250 in a day. That was a KILLING CREW! We put all the birds in a livestock trailer and set the kill line from there. Youngsters to catch and kill. Scald , pluck, butcher for those with more experience, into the chill tank and then dry rack and bag. I think I had 9 pairs of hands on the big kill. No need to go all in either. You can do as little or as many as you want. It’s a great experience and I recommend it to everyone.

Re: Getting into Meat Chickens.... [Re: Rockfarmer] #7234862
04/04/21 10:58 AM
04/04/21 10:58 AM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
Originally Posted by Rockfarmer
So when do you guys move your birds outside? These little poop monsters will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. Temps here are supposed to be right at 50 overnight next couple of weeks and around 70 thru the day. They will have 8x12 chicken tractor with a tarp wrapped around one end for shelter.

Feathers is the key. They must have feathers to go out, at least here.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread