No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7236327
04/06/21 10:06 AM
04/06/21 10:06 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Please refer to Tom Fisher’s post on New Mexico Trapping ban. Pretty much says it all.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: hippie] #7236339
04/06/21 10:23 AM
04/06/21 10:23 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by hippie
Nothing will appease the anti's and the sooner people realize that, the better.

It will only cost trappers more money to retool, only to buy a couple years time at best. They'll keep coming after us.

Here's my statement on page 5 two weeks ago. New Mexico proves it to be 100% accurate along with other states that lost trapping. Cali. was cages and they even lost those to anti's.

I don't know the fix for stupid (anti's), they see a trap as a trap no matter how much WE know we're doing our best with them.

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: cmcf] #7236799
04/06/21 09:32 PM
04/06/21 09:32 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by cmcf
Please refer to Tom Fisher’s post on New Mexico Trapping ban. Pretty much says it all.

I have, it's obvious that New Mexico has been in a fight of their lives, no doubt about that.

But i have to ask WHAT IF.

What if new Mexico started the mandatory trapper ed courses 5 or 10 years ago instead of last year?

What if New Mexico trappers association would have been pro active in keeping up with the public's perception of trapping?

And if it was known public perception was on the way down then what did they do to try and fix it?

What if they would have implemented the bmps sooner?

What if this pic of a dog was the straw that broke the camel's back and not the entire reason trapping was lost. Because NM has been in a huge fight for awhile now.

Remember, they lost by one vote not a landslide.

What if more people would get off their lazy backside and join a pro trapping group or even more?

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7236894
04/06/21 10:54 PM
04/06/21 10:54 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Originally Posted by rpmartin
Originally Posted by cmcf

I have, it's obvious that New Mexico has been in a fight of their lives, no doubt about that.

But i have to ask WHAT IF.

What if new Mexico started the mandatory trapper ed courses 5 or 10 years ago instead of last year?

What if New Mexico trappers association would have been pro active in keeping up with the public's perception of trapping?

And if it was known public perception was on the way down then what did they do to try and fix it?

What if they would have implemented the bmps sooner?

What if this pic of a dog was the straw that broke the camel's back and not the entire reason trapping was lost. Because NM has been in a huge fight for awhile now.

Remember, they lost by one vote not a landslide.

What if more people would get off their lazy backside and join a pro trapping group or even more?

... what if all the hippies would have stayed in California

..you can what if all day long... but bmp’s aren’t the answer... times are changing and they want us to change with them... by quitting catching and killing critters lol ... ain’t no amount of diplomacy, swivels or lamination going to change that

... we need a 364 day a year hippie season

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7236936
04/06/21 11:43 PM
04/06/21 11:43 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Online content
trapper
Steven 49er  Online Content
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
I see we are still trying to give it away. Appeasement never works.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7236958
04/07/21 12:56 AM
04/07/21 12:56 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
"GRANT COUNTY (WKOW) -- A man was injured Thursday while attempting to free his dog from a foot trap in a state wildlife area near Muscoda.

The Wisconsin DNR is currently investigating the trapping violations.

The Grant County Sheriff's Office was sent about 1:20 p.m. Thursday to the wildlife property along the Wisconsin river in Muscoda Township for a report of a man whose dog was caught in a foot trap.

Lee Perko, Muscoda, told deputies he was walking his dogs in the wildlife area when one of his dogs stepped into the trap

As Perko tried to get his dog's leg out of the trap, the dog bit him in both hands and he was unable to free the dog.

When Blue River Fire and EMS, along with the Wisconsin DNR and a sheriff deputy arrived, firefighters tended to Perko while others freed the dog.

Perko was taken to a local hospital for injuries to both hands.

The sheriff's deputy transported both of Perko's dogs to the Riverdale Vet Clinic so the injured dog could receive medical care and the other for safe keeping.

."

28 years of mandatory trapper ed didn't prevent this. Maybe the trapper was grandfathered out of trapper ed? smile

Last edited by Dirt; 04/07/21 12:58 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7237013
04/07/21 06:18 AM
04/07/21 06:18 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
[img]http://https://www.nbc15.com/content/news/Dog-gets-paw-caught-in-foot-trap-while-being-walked-on-state-land-567463951.html[/img]

Looks like some common sense would have eliminated that wreck. Read the 3 pages above again from C Dobbins.
Did the guy even have a license? Were laws broken? The part you left out was the officers were looking into possible violations. Your so good at digging up dirt, was there any?

Wisconsin has a good public perception of trapping so a wreck like this won't put us over the edge.

Last edited by rpmartin; 04/07/21 06:38 AM.

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7237024
04/07/21 06:39 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Did some reading lately. Look what Charles has to say on bmps probably before they were called bmps.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You all think Charles would write this if he didn't mean it?

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7237027
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Steeltraps, this one is for you. Send me your address, I'll buy you a copy and send it to you.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7237124
04/07/21 08:29 AM
04/07/21 08:29 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
People like you is why I am no longer a member of the NTA. You may be running off existing and detering new members with your ideas and may be blissfully unaware of what you are accomplishing. Good Job!

Who is John Galt?
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: Dirt] #7237126
04/07/21 08:36 AM
04/07/21 08:36 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Dirt
People like you is why I am no longer a member of the NTA. You may be running off existing and detering new members with your ideas and may be blissfully unaware of what you are accomplishing. Good Job!

Coming from a troll that really means alot. At least you were a member for a time, if you were truthful? Better than being a complete zero like your buds.

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7237199
04/07/21 10:33 AM
04/07/21 10:33 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7237305
04/07/21 01:27 PM
04/07/21 01:27 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Let me see if I have you figured out....

You are on a crusade for mandatory trappers ed, that you claim you ain't but obviously are.
You are on a crusade for states to mandate BMP's, that you claim you ain't but obviously are.

You got mad when we assumed as much, claiming you never said that, but continue to post Mr. Dobbins writings up, you ASSUMING he wanted these things mandatory? When he didn't say exactly that. Am I warm??...hot??? Maybe even spot on?

There are two threads right now about states fighting anti's, one in N. Mexico and one about N.York. look up their laws regarding trapping and how both have implemented BMP's and trappers ed. But are still being attacked as 98% of the people who YOU ASKED FOR THEIR OPINION told you. Don't shoot the messenger would be a lesson you could learn from this thread.

Last edited by hippie; 04/07/21 02:44 PM.
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7237326
04/07/21 02:05 PM
04/07/21 02:05 PM
wyoming
W
WyFurHarvesters Offline
trapper
WyFurHarvesters  Offline
trapper
W

wyoming
If we do not do a better job of educating trappers and non trappers, use the best methods possible, bend when we need to and yes even compromise we will lose our privilege's to trap. We need to keep active in organizations and stay on top of issues with legislators and work with those voters that are on the fence educating them about the need to trap. I agree you wont change the opinion with a die hard anti trapper but they are not the majority, the majority is the folks that can be swayed in their vote. Right now the anti trapping, hunting organizations are beating us, they are miseducating the folks on the fence, they have the money to do this. Im guessing 50 % of the trappers are not members of any association, don't donate, don't write letters to legislators. We are, are own worst enemy, if most of the guys on this site spent as much time complaining to their perspective legislators vs disagreeing with each other and bad mouthing the antis it would be a good start. In Wy. we got our state constitution changed to allow trapping in perpetuity but still getting challenged. We did it because of one representative going to bat for us introducing a bill to amend the constitution. We did learn it should have included no changes to current regulations as we have to fight every 3 years on that issue.

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7237339
04/07/21 02:37 PM
04/07/21 02:37 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Has nothing to do with traps or methods....all they know is....its fur and they're against it.

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: hippie] #7237630
04/07/21 08:35 PM
04/07/21 08:35 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by hippie
Let me see if I have you figured out....

You are on a crusade for mandatory trappers ed, that you claim you ain't but obviously are.
You are on a crusade for states to mandate BMP's, that you claim you ain't but obviously are.

You got mad when we assumed as much, claiming you never said that, but continue to post Mr. Dobbins writings up, you ASSUMING he wanted these things mandatory? When he didn't say exactly that. Am I warm??...hot??? Maybe even spot on?

There are two threads right now about states fighting anti's, one in N. Mexico and one about N.York. look up their laws regarding trapping and how both have implemented BMP's and trappers ed. But are still being attacked as 98% of the people who YOU ASKED FOR THEIR OPINION told you. Don't shoot the messenger would be a lesson you could learn from this thread.

Congratulations, you have successfully removed any doubt on how big of a clueless fool you really are.

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7239189
04/09/21 03:16 PM
04/09/21 03:16 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Any thoughts on this subject? Are there many states getting involved in this? Do most folks just as soon not get involved in it?

Since when does a person need all the answers to a question before they ask a question on t-man?

I learned as i went and i sure did learn a lot about bmps and the view points of some on this site.

The folks on here that have promoted education imo have it right. The only way we are to keep trapping is through education of trappers and non trappers.

A lot of new trappers do not understand what an animal is capable of doing to itself while trying to escape. Educating new trappers, ( and sounds like some veterans on here ) need know this so they can either buy traps or modify them to keep the damage to a minimum.

Guys who say, ( who cares they're going to get skinned anyway) imo is a big mistake. I know we will never change the antis minds, i get that. But if the antis learn how these trappers say and do this stuff, they will take this info to the public and use it against us.

Life member,

Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7239297
04/09/21 05:57 PM
04/09/21 05:57 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak

"It’s amazing to me that in this day and age we still allow this barbaric activity to be justified in the name of “sport”"

"More than 4 million animals are trapped for “fun” each year, many enduring immense suffering in the process. "

"Only a few states have banned the use of leg-hold traps for sport trapping and then usually only through citizen initiative process. "

I'm sure you won't get it!

Who is John Galt?
Re: BMP Best management practices [Re: rpmartin] #7269353
05/21/21 03:27 PM
05/21/21 03:27 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Ttt