No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Joining the military [Re: ] #7236959
04/07/21 01:00 AM
04/07/21 01:00 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Originally Posted by BadgerTrapper97
If you enjoy being able to think for yourself and also enjoy having rights and freedom don't even consider it. I love this country with all my heart and would defend it to the death, but the army just wasn't the place for me.

My experience was 180 degrees opposite of this. I was responsible for making life or death decisions. These decisions weren't handed down from above, I had to make them dependent on the circumstances at the time. I had plenty of freedom. I really enjoyed my 24 year career in the USAF doing the things that brought a lot of excitement and accomplishment to my live. I can't say it would be the same today though with the present political climate.

Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7236962
04/07/21 01:18 AM
04/07/21 01:18 AM
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Badger - "I think everyone gets a different experience,. I guess I'd specifically say that comment was more so aimed at garrison life. I'd have spent my whole contract deployed if I could. But the life a soldier outside of war"

My experiences were outside of war. I never served in a war zone. We assisted Secret Service in presidential protection, local law enforcement in handling bomb scares, found explosives, etc.

Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7236968
04/07/21 03:51 AM
04/07/21 03:51 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Go for it young man. If you decide to go to school afterwards it'll be on the house for serving. It opens lots of doors afterwards in the job market if you decide it's not a career all in itself.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7237144
04/07/21 09:00 AM
04/07/21 09:00 AM
West Virginia
D
DugK Offline
trapper
DugK  Offline
trapper
D

West Virginia
The Marine Corps was the best decision I ever made. My Uncle gave me some advice before I enlisted. He said "Plan on two enlistments, first one chose something that you want to do and the second plan for the future" and I think this was the best advice "Choose a duty station far away from home and volunteer to go places, don't sit around base partying, this leads to no good and bad attitudes". The second part I witnessed, guys would enlist, then go home every weekend, nothing changed for them or they would spend the weekend in the barracks drinking like fish and getting in trouble. For me, I needed to change my life and the military did that. I have been all over the world. Some bad experiences but most good. It is what you make of it and I feel I made the most of. I took advantage of the GI Bill, got my Bachelors degree and make a good living doing what I enjoy.
Good Luck with your life changing decision.

Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7237148
04/07/21 09:08 AM
04/07/21 09:08 AM
Carlisle, PA
T
trap-alaska Offline
trapper
trap-alaska  Offline
trapper
T

Carlisle, PA
Lots of sketchy advice in this thread, probably not the best source of information. I enlisted in 1987 and am still serving on active duty. I have one kid who just joined the Air National Guard and another who worked through the West Point application process but ultimately decided to take an ROTC scholarship. We need to know more about you and what you're looking for before we can give good advice. Do you want a career? Do you just want a skill for civilian life? Money for college? Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.

And of course the military is changing - everything in our society is changing. I'll bet if most of you went back to your old high school everything would be different.

Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7237150
04/07/21 09:12 AM
04/07/21 09:12 AM
havelock, NC
Rye Offline
trapper
Rye  Offline
trapper

havelock, NC
The Marine Corps changed my life. I was raised pretty poor in the poorest county in the state of Florida. My parents were respectable hard working people. My father a former Marine from Nam. At 17 I thought I had two options, get a scholarship for school or the military. Otherwise I'd be stuck working at the paper mill or furniture factory. I chose the Marine Corps. Several influential people in my life guided my once I'd made the decision because I originally wanted to be a grunt, and possibly a sniper. They unveiled the reality of that world for me and encouraged me to learn a trade. I did, I became a computer tech, and later a net admin.
I would agree, plan for 2 enlistments. 1rst, party, have fun, buy a car and DON'T GET MARRIED. Second, focus on what you are going to do when you get out of the military. Plan financially for at least six years before you get out of the service and have a nest egg of about 10-20K when you walk out the door. (easily doable) Civilian life is expensive, esp when you don't own anything.
The Marine Corps taught more things than I can put in writing, but most of all it taught me what I was made of and what I was worth.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. "
--Mark Twain.

Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7237154
04/07/21 09:19 AM
04/07/21 09:19 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by Gone Trappin.
[
I am loyal to the constitution. I just fear what if I joined and had to do something I don’t agree with?

that's the chance you take

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7237162
04/07/21 09:27 AM
04/07/21 09:27 AM
Va
O
Owen156 Offline
trapper
Owen156  Offline
trapper
O

Va
Its the best thing I ever did to structure my life.

Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7237172
04/07/21 09:46 AM
04/07/21 09:46 AM
Nevada
YamaCat Offline
trapper
YamaCat  Offline
trapper

Nevada
Like my recruiter told me - - - Nothing ventured, Nothing gained. Go for it !

Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7237194
04/07/21 10:12 AM
04/07/21 10:12 AM
new york
H
henpecked1 Offline
trapper
henpecked1  Offline
trapper
H

new york
I知 thinking about the military, maybe even trying to get into West Point. What is your opinions on joining the military even though the government of that military is becoming increasingly corrupt.

you have not seen corruption till you have been in a third world crap hole where they will kill you for a banana or hand full of rice. or seen those governments supported by communists. and facists.

Having had way over 20 years in (and retired) (served in the Army and the Navy), over 50 countries and turned 50 in Iraq OIFII: YOU SHOULD NOT JOIN: you have the WRONG ATTITUDE right out of the shoot and will likely fail and drop out, especially from the officer corp end of things.

if you change your attitude and want to become part of a team then go for it, but right off the top you have not done any research on the subject on your own which indicates lack of motivation and your opinions on the government have nothing to do with the job and mission. You leave that crap at the door.

So stay a civilian and be a could have been, should have been wanna be; unless you want to change the world by being something more than an uninformed statistic.

You want to be a professional, then step up to the plate. Learn all you can especially how to adapt and overcome all obstacles in your life. but you better learn to listen first and keep your uninformed opinions and mouth shut.

Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7237235
04/07/21 11:31 AM
04/07/21 11:31 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
And there is the "just following orders" opinion.

[Linked Image]
Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7237236
04/07/21 11:32 AM
04/07/21 11:32 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
They work well with the West Point Protective Association.

[Linked Image]
Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7237268
04/07/21 12:04 PM
04/07/21 12:04 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Gone Trappin. I personally think you have exactly the right attitude. Investigate, ask questions and weigh your alternatives.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with thinking for yourself. I would rather associate with people who look at a problem from all angles.

I happen to believe that our military needs people who think, rather than act like mindless myrmidons

Mean As Nails
Re: Joining the military [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7237294
04/07/21 01:01 PM
04/07/21 01:01 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
not sure how old you are , but if you don't have a conversation going with your Senator by 16 , your not to likely to be going to west point unless you get incredibly dedicated to it , tomorrow.

excellent grades , service groups you belong to , talking with your senator about a spot at west point.

there are a lot of other ways to serve and become an officer. ROTC , do you belong to a JROTC group currently , are there any in your area , Young Marines , Sea Cadets , civil air patrol?

I agree. Two of my teenage children are considering academies. I have several good friends from the Naval Academy and West Point and they all recommend starting really early on academics, testing, sports, leadership and the Senator.

Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7237308
04/07/21 01:30 PM
04/07/21 01:30 PM
Piedmont Lake Ohio
Tinknocker1` Offline
trapper
Tinknocker1`  Offline
trapper

Piedmont Lake Ohio
Follow Bayle Wolf Clinton Massie high school #50 west point he has a Twitter page follow him ! ask him questions you can follow his journey through high school football on YouTube just a great kid

Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7237313
04/07/21 01:35 PM
04/07/21 01:35 PM
WISCONSIN
W
Wild_WI Offline
trapper
Wild_WI  Offline
trapper
W

WISCONSIN
Best thing I ever did served 20 years retired in 2017 went to college for free the rest is gravy.

Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7237315
04/07/21 01:44 PM
04/07/21 01:44 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
West Point is an awesome school. I suggest you set goals and written plans for long and short term milestones. You should also get in great shape and set work out goals. Running, backpacking, pullups, sit-ups and pushups and of course learning how to eat clean. You can get some great and useful information here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCatNYjvtrlV1JNnxwJEhfnQ

Originally Posted by Gone Trappin.
I知 thinking about the military, maybe even trying to get into West Point. What is your opinions on joining the military even though the government of that military is becoming increasingly corrupt.

Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7238107
04/08/21 11:02 AM
04/08/21 11:02 AM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI
Go for it, I did 7 years in the navy as an avionics tech and loved it. also recruited for 3 years, so i got to see alot of the other branches too. ive been out since 2004 and would have loved to have been able to make it a career(medical) i would have been retired 4 years ago. I looked into officer programs and was close to taking one but I prefer to do the job rather than sit behind a desk and bark orders, but to each their own. as stated above, look at all the branches and figure what works for you. just realize depending on you, you might not be qualified for certain jobs.
like about any career/job, it is what you make of it.

if you have any questions or want more info PM me and ill answer the best i can

Re: Joining the military [Re: henpecked1] #7238287
04/08/21 03:07 PM
04/08/21 03:07 PM
Ohio
G
Gone Trappin. Offline OP
trapper
Gone Trappin.  Offline OP
trapper
G

Ohio
Originally Posted by henpecked1

you have not seen corruption till you have been in a third world crap hole where they will kill you for a banana or hand full of rice. or seen those governments supported by communists. and facists.

Having had way over 20 years in (and retired) (served in the Army and the Navy), over 50 countries and turned 50 in Iraq OIFII: YOU SHOULD NOT JOIN: you have the WRONG ATTITUDE right out of the shoot and will likely fail and drop out, especially from the officer corp end of things.

if you change your attitude and want to become part of a team then go for it, but right off the top you have not done any research on the subject on your own which indicates lack of motivation and your opinions on the government have nothing to do with the job and mission. You leave that crap at the door.

So stay a civilian and be a could have been, should have been wanna be; unless you want to change the world by being something more than an uninformed statistic.
You want to be a professional, then step up to the plate. Learn all you can especially how to adapt and overcome all obstacles in your life. but you better learn to listen first and keep your uninformed opinions and mouth shut.

So I知 not doing any research and I知 not motivated.. but I知 asking questions in this post.

Re: Joining the military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7238333
04/08/21 04:12 PM
04/08/21 04:12 PM
Tennessee
Deerhunter51 Offline
trapper
Deerhunter51  Offline
trapper

Tennessee
You're going to have to do some soul searching and figure out what you want, you can see there's a variety of opinions here - even from the guys who have served. The military is always changing with the times, it always has and it always will - sometimes for the better and sometimes not. You can try it and get out after your first enlistment if it doesn't suit you or resign your commission if an officer after your initial obligation is fulfilled. Either way, I think most people who serve even one hitch gains some benefit from the service. For me personally, I wouldn't trade my 20+ years in the army for anything - even with the years of deployments and the scars that came with them. I got to do things and go places that many never will. And since I retired the education benefits, pension and basically free health care has been a blessing, even if it was hard earned. Give it a try and decide for yourself if it's career worthy. I doubt anyone one here that has served is ashamed of doing so or regrets the overall experience.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread