Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Fruit puree #7235416
04/05/21 08:23 AM
04/05/21 08:23 AM
wisconsin, manitowoc
mutt Offline OP
trapper
mutt  Offline OP
trapper

wisconsin, manitowoc
I have a source for a large amount of blueberry puree. More than I can use this year.
Does anyone have a preservation technique to be able to keep it stable while stored in a basement? My thoughts are it would ferment if I don't add something to stop it from happening.(they are currently in commercial cold storage, but can't stay there)

I prefer to maintain the sweetness for taste and any smell if possible. I saw someone suggested using pectin in a thread, but I could only find info on pectin as a thickener not a preservative. I mix this with dry bait as well and would prefer maintaining it as liquid as possible.

I'm open to adjusting the way I use it if preservation would change something. Any info would be appricated.

Re: Fruit puree [Re: mutt] #7235424
04/05/21 08:30 AM
04/05/21 08:30 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
if ya don't want to use pectin, use SB, and some MP to prevent mold.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Fruit puree [Re: mutt] #7235461
04/05/21 09:12 AM
04/05/21 09:12 AM
wisconsin, manitowoc
mutt Offline OP
trapper
mutt  Offline OP
trapper

wisconsin, manitowoc
Your post was where I saw use pectin. I couldnt find any info if it would keep shelf stable. My only expieriance with pectin is jam, but it was frozen or canned(water bathed) at the end. If it works for you or you have info can you share the time you get out of it from doing this.

Can I use less MP if using the SB as the preservative?

Thanks for all the info so far. Now confirming its possible I have to figure out if the cost of preservatives is cost effective. MP seems pricy for the amounts im looking at.

Re: Fruit puree [Re: mutt] #7235591
04/05/21 01:17 PM
04/05/21 01:17 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Potassium sorbate is what I used on some peaches about a year and a half ago. So far very happy with how it's preserved them. I think I got the idea from something Mr Dobbins posted on here one time.

Last edited by Yes sir; 04/05/21 01:21 PM.
Re: Fruit puree [Re: mutt] #7236069
04/05/21 10:53 PM
04/05/21 10:53 PM
wisconsin, manitowoc
mutt Offline OP
trapper
mutt  Offline OP
trapper

wisconsin, manitowoc
Thanks yes sir
That makes sense I think I used potassium sorbate to stop fermentation the last time I made hard cider.

Re: Fruit puree [Re: mutt] #7238031
04/08/21 09:24 AM
04/08/21 09:24 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
I take fruit puree or fresh fruit and place in a 5-gallon bucket 3/4 full put 8 to 10 pounds of sugar over top and seal with lid in a cool place out of the sun for slow stabilization or in a heated area for faster stability May have a different end product from each process. Can also add SB to help in keeping the end result close to what you start with. Unless a substance is frozen, everything will change a little to a lot on the end stabilized product. Doesn't mean it is bad just different. once stabilized it will last. mold may develop on some products so you may also need to take those precautions

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91