No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
When you see fur, what do you think? #7239115
04/09/21 01:15 PM
04/09/21 01:15 PM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline OP
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline OP
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
One side of my fur shed is like a man cave and I have noticed when non trappers or even some trappers that walk in and see some tanned fur in bundles on hangers, the first thing out of their mouth is,"What are you going to do with it"?

So, I thought it looked cool and I enjoy looking at it and feeling the soft garment tanned fur. But, I guess now for the most part, people don't see it as a thing of beauty or something like a collectible item. To keep and enjoy as a reminder of the memories made trapping and putting up your fur as it's been done for a long time.

Nope, you should do something with it and get it out of here is the norm now!! That is why it is easy for them to push the no trapping laws through. People don't care about fur anymore so they don't even bother to get involved. Anyway, just thinking out loud and was curious what you all thought.

We are a dying breed

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: When you see fur, what do you think? [Re: Flipper 56] #7239123
04/09/21 01:23 PM
04/09/21 01:23 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Maybe it’s just the circle I travel but working the beaver pelt while in the truck, everybody wants to see it. The men ask where I learned to do that and the women say they want a fur coat. Nobody yet has said anything negative.

-Goofy-
Re: When you see fur, what do you think? [Re: Flipper 56] #7239130
04/09/21 01:33 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Put it for sale,there is a market for tanned fur by various different users.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: When you see fur, what do you think? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7239132
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline OP
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline OP
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Maybe it’s just the circle I travel but working the beaver pelt while in the truck, everybody wants to see it. The men ask where I learned to do that and the women say they want a fur coat. Nobody yet has said anything negative.

Oh, most of them are amazed how soft the muskrat and otter, coyote, coon, and beaver are but they will still say,"What are you going to do with it"? People don't do that to hunters that have a deer head on the wall. confused

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: When you see fur, what do you think? [Re: Flipper 56] #7239134
04/09/21 01:36 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
I have had a bobcat tail hanging off the back of my purse for years. In lines at stores, etc, I get interesting comments. Kids love it and with their parent's approval, I let them feel the fur texture and explain what it is . So far, no negative comments. I always add , with a smile, that this is no different than your belt, purse, coats, furniture, saddle, gloves, or anything else made of leather. Only difference is those are without the fur on top. The use is the same. Actually even better, as appreciation for the beauty of fur, even on a tail, is showing value . Love seeing the info sink in , observing the expressions from adults and happy , practical acceptance from kids.

Re: When you see fur, what do you think? [Re: Flipper 56] #7239135
W NY
Turtledale Online content
trapper
Turtledale  Online Content
trapper

W NY
I also get the "what are you going to do with it" from some people. We are a dying breed, sad to say. If it weren't for marketing outside America our way of life would have crapped out a long time ago. That being said I'll keep harvesting fur as long as I can. It's what I do and who I am

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: When you see fur, what do you think? [Re: Boco] #7239136
04/09/21 01:37 PM
04/09/21 01:37 PM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline OP
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline OP
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Originally Posted by Boco
Put it for sale,there is a market for tanned fur by various different users.

Nope, I had it all tanned for my personal enjoyment and my hat stock. I don't care what they think, I was just pointing out the public's view in my opinion.

Re: When you see fur, what do you think? [Re: Flipper 56] #7239154
04/09/21 02:01 PM
04/09/21 02:01 PM
alaska
3 Fingers Offline
trapper
3 Fingers  Offline
trapper

alaska
Everything except martens I sell tanned. Most people want it just to hang on the wall or drape over a chair and they always love them. Personally I would like to see everything put to a practical use but that’s ok.

Re: When you see fur, what do you think? [Re: Flipper 56] #7239179
04/09/21 02:55 PM
04/09/21 02:55 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
I get that all the time to here in the west, can't figure it, expect it from anti's and animal rights whackos, though !

I tell them I make hats and sell for material that others want but can't hunt or don't know how to obtain fur, yet want to make things out of it, as well as my own inventory, it satisfies most.

I'm always interested in buying North American professionally tanned fur, for my inventory as well.

Right now is a great time for end users to buy fur, due to low pelt prices, some will tan part of their harvest for them selves and then try to sell, but can't figure out where to do so, and end up with a big cost for tanning it, have to be careful that way, as most tanned fur does not sell in large bundles like at the auctions !

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: When you see fur, what do you think? [Re: Flipper 56] #7239220
04/09/21 04:15 PM
04/09/21 04:15 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
My friends always stick their head in the back of my truck to see what I got. The girls at the Dunkin Donuts drive thru....haven’t said anything yet...lol

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread