No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Any accountants on here? Tax question [Re: yotetrapper30] #7242793
04/13/21 09:39 PM
04/13/21 09:39 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
One place I trap pays me an hourly rate plus critters and I get a 1099 at the end of the year. My accountant lets me deduct mileage and all expenses (traps, lures, tools, etc) now granted I don’t make much over 5K a year, but apparently it helps on our overall taxes.

Re: Any accountants on here? Tax question [Re: yotetrapper30] #7242797
04/13/21 09:42 PM
04/13/21 09:42 PM
Winter Springs, Florida
D
Davexx1 Offline
trapper
Davexx1  Offline
trapper
D

Winter Springs, Florida
Keep accurate records and receipts for all of your work related expenses. If you were ever to get audited by the IRS, you will need those receipts to verify all of the work related expenses that you claimed.

Re: Any accountants on here? Tax question [Re: yotetrapper30] #7242976
04/14/21 12:29 AM
04/14/21 12:29 AM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Falsified 1099 forms are a fact of life, so check them before filing your tax return. I once received a 1099 form showing far more than my actual earnings. I had sold insurance for a small agency. After I quit they signed my name as selling agent and deposited the commission checks in their own counts to avoid taxes.. When I filed my tax return I reported the correct number, not what the 1099 form said and attached the incorrect 1099 form. An IRS supervisor called me and I told what happened along with the names of the dishonest insurance agency managers involved ( I knew those managers had previous IRS problems). IRS accepted my number as correct. I hoped they would audit the insurance agency but never heard whether they did.

Last edited by Furvor; 04/14/21 12:39 AM.
Re: Any accountants on here? Tax question [Re: yotetrapper30] #7243482
04/14/21 05:52 PM
04/14/21 05:52 PM
Wisconsin
Scott__aR Offline
trapper
Scott__aR  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Last time I worked as an independent contractor, I was responsible for individual federal and state taxes and again for the employer portion of the taxes ... In affect, two times the individual tax rate. And to avoid paying penalties, I had to make quarterly estimated tax payments. But while paying the higher tax rates, I also got the allowable business deductions too, so there is that.

Not sure how the ag business would be able to suggest what percentage of income would result in tax liability for their contractors. Everyone's tax situation would be different. Unless the employer also offered tax filing serves for their contractors? In my opinion for what its worth, the ag business is trying to skirt the tax law for their advantage. I'm not sure they could pass the scrutiny of claiming the people working are independent contractors. "Right to Work" does not an independent contractor make.

And 25% tax liability may be conservative, depending on the contract and expense exemptions allowed. And consider, the chore of keeping all your own records and filings.

Megapredator ... top of the food chain!
Member of WTA
Member of MTPCA
Member of NTA
Re: Any accountants on here? Tax question [Re: yotetrapper30] #7243500
04/14/21 06:18 PM
04/14/21 06:18 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline OP
trapper

Oakland, MS
Thanks everyone. Probably gonna pick strawberries for a week or two and be done there. Sounds like way more hassle then it's worth.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread