No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Is Field Dressing [Re: adam m] #7243937
04/15/21 10:55 AM
04/15/21 10:55 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by adam m
Nearly every elk we've ever killed landed up in the canyon

me too, but in Idaho, and we did not gut them (not sure what "beyond normal" means)

skinned, quartered, or boned out the meat, remove back straps and neck meat

only guy that gutted elk wanted the strips of rib meat

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Is Field Dressing [Re: Wolfdog91] #7243951
04/15/21 11:14 AM
04/15/21 11:14 AM
havelock, NC
Rye Offline
trapper
Rye  Offline
trapper

havelock, NC
I drag mine out whole. I'm usually 20 mins or less from the rack, but more than one of my deer have expired in a swamp or mud puddle. Rather now have that crap in the meat.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. "
--Mark Twain.

Re: Is Field Dressing [Re: Wolfdog91] #7243991
04/15/21 12:03 PM
04/15/21 12:03 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
And you can get the ribs with out gutting.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Is Field Dressing [Re: WV Danimal] #7244007
04/15/21 12:22 PM
04/15/21 12:22 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by WV Danimal
I don't mean to be mean to those that don't gut where they fall, but if you drag a deer in the mountains where I hunt with guts in, beyond being stupid, you're most likely the guy with Maryland (DC) tags parked at the road just getting into hunting and didn't know any better. It's absolutely THE way it's been done all my life anyways. Once the animal is on the ground, the guts instantly become the enemy and should be immediately removed. I seriously thought that the only people anywhere who drug animals with guts in them were the TV guys who were afraid of offending their audience by showing a little blood on the underside of an animal.

Well there ya go...the ONLY answer there is. It’s been done that way for years so therefore it must continue to be done, if not then you’re stupid.
OR, your man enough to be able to drag a full grown deer to the truck or even take it to the processor if you don’t process it yourself. I’ll be flat out honest, I can’t tell one solitary distance dragging a deer with guts in or out. They all end up weighing about 500# by the time I get them loaded.
I guess guts are bad if you gut shoot deer, but now a days most folks got those fancy rifles with fancy optics and can hit where they aim and not hit those enemy guts. Heck, I even know of folks that can do the same thing with a bow.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 04/15/21 12:23 PM.
Re: Is Field Dressing [Re: Wolfdog91] #7244009
04/15/21 12:26 PM
04/15/21 12:26 PM
La.
G
Gator Foot Offline
trapper
Gator Foot  Offline
trapper
G

La.
We handle all or game hole, but, we or close to the cleaning shed. If we or hunting away, and it is hot ,I would gut them and pick up some ice for it on the way home.

Re: Is Field Dressing [Re: Wolfdog91] #7244014
04/15/21 12:31 PM
04/15/21 12:31 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I've shot a few deer at dusk and they didn't go down right away. And I've left them till the next day to recover them instead of bird dogging them and run them right out of the country.. As long as you didn't gut shoot that deer and you have cold temps that deer Is going to be just fine come the next morning. Well If the coyotes don't find It first.

Last edited by The Beav; 04/15/21 12:32 PM.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Is Field Dressing [Re: Wolfdog91] #7244053
04/15/21 01:28 PM
04/15/21 01:28 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I've done the gutless method, but don't care for it myself. Particularly when doing something the size of an elk I find it a lot easier to move it around to quarter without the added weight of the guts. Generally have to either drag or pack out game here, so it is either gutted or quartered. Only time I don't gut where they fall is when guiding deer hunters out of a stand. Personally I've never noticed that a gutpile affected the deer much, but understandably hunters don't like to sit in a stand and watch a gutpile when deer hunting, so if we may be putting other hunters in the stand I'll drag it off whole and gut elsewhere.

Oh and Wannabe. . . if you think hunters can hit where they are aiming with all the new fangled fance equipment. . . you should try guiding for a year or two. You will see some of the nicest, newest, fanciest equipment; and some of the worst shots you have ever imagined. Personally, if I'm doing the shooting, I never worry about hitting the guts, I'm aiming for the vitals, depending on situation either heart and lungs, or spine or head. If I have to shoot through the guts to hit them, or the bullet will hit the guts after penetrating the vitals, oh well, it isn't ruining any meat in the guts and I've never had a problem with gutting a gut shot animal. Do it right away, which I always do anyways and it isn't going to bother any meat, likely get some gunk on the tenderloins, but you just wash them off and they are fine.

Re: Is Field Dressing [Re: bearcat2] #7244154
04/15/21 03:43 PM
04/15/21 03:43 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by bearcat2
I've done the gutless method, but don't care for it myself. Particularly when doing something the size of an elk I find it a lot easier to move it around to quarter without the added weight of the guts. Generally have to either drag or pack out game here, so it is either gutted or quartered. Only time I don't gut where they fall is when guiding deer hunters out of a stand. Personally I've never noticed that a gutpile affected the deer much, but understandably hunters don't like to sit in a stand and watch a gutpile when deer hunting, so if we may be putting other hunters in the stand I'll drag it off whole and gut elsewhere.

Oh and Wannabe. . . if you think hunters can hit where they are aiming with all the new fangled fance equipment. . . you should try guiding for a year or two. You will see some of the nicest, newest, fanciest equipment; and some of the worst shots you have ever imagined. Personally, if I'm doing the shooting, I never worry about hitting the guts, I'm aiming for the vitals, depending on situation either heart and lungs, or spine or head. If I have to shoot through the guts to hit them, or the bullet will hit the guts after penetrating the vitals, oh well, it isn't ruining any meat in the guts and I've never had a problem with gutting a gut shot animal. Do it right away, which I always do anyways and it isn't going to bother any meat, likely get some gunk on the tenderloins, but you just wash them off and they are fine.

Haha. You ought to watch quail hunters with $25,000-50,000 guns come in for a 3 day hunt and kill 3 birds during that time, lol. It’s not about what they can hit, it’s who’s cost more. I have a picture of $100,000 in just 3 guns, lol.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread