No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Low recoil muzzleloader options (load development) #7244951
04/16/21 06:21 PM
04/16/21 06:21 PM
Nevada
thrstyunderwater Offline OP
trapper
thrstyunderwater  Offline OP
trapper

Nevada
I shoot a first generation TC Impact .50 inline. I also shoot traditional muzzleloaders, I should say I hunt out west with my impact.....anyway.

I have found my gun really likes 100 grains of (by volume) Blackhorn 209 and a 290 grain Barnes T-EZ sabot. I've taken deer and elk out to 200 yards with this load, I love it. The recoil isn't terrible, but it's certainly there.

I'm wanting to develop a load so that a recoil sensitive shooter can take a cow elk out to 100 yards with the same gun. From what I've read, Barnes recommends a minimum of 1100 fps for their muzzleloader bullets to open and preform. I have some Barnes T-EZ in 250 grain (lighter bullet), I figure I can start out with 60 grains of Blackhorn 209 and the chronograph. I figure if I know the muzzle velocity from my chronograph, I can play around with my ballistics app and see what distance falls below 1100 fps. Any other advice?

Keep in mind this load is to kill a cow elk.

Originally Posted by Ole Hawkeye
Pat, as usual, you are right....

Re: Low recoil muzzleloader options (load development) [Re: thrstyunderwater] #7244962
04/16/21 06:47 PM
04/16/21 06:47 PM
West Cent IL
illinideer Offline
trapper
illinideer  Offline
trapper

West Cent IL
85 grain Bh 209 290 tez in cva accura has been a goto load for my mom in law and uncle inlaw for deer. Both are intheir mid 70's. Both took a elk about 12 years ago each were about 80 yard shots
J

Coyote 5 Badger 1
Coons 17
Bobcats 2 Released
Grinners All of them
USN AE2 VF-31 Tomcatters
Retired SMSGT IL ANG 183 Fighter Wing
Coyote U Class #4
Re: Low recoil muzzleloader options (load development) [Re: thrstyunderwater] #7245358
04/17/21 09:54 AM
04/17/21 09:54 AM
Ky
S
squirrelslayer Offline
trapper
squirrelslayer  Offline
trapper
S

Ky
When I started hunting my dad loaded us with 60 grains of fff blackpoweder and hornady 240 grain xtp's. Being designed for pistols they seemed to expand well but cant say for sure as the only one I remember recovering was from 110 grain load lodged in an off shoulder but it did what it was supposed to expansion wise. Blood trails were pretty unreliable but that has been my experience with all 4 or so different type muzzleloader bullets I've shot. About 2 out of 3 seem to be dismal to non existent and the 3rd looks like they lost every drop of blood before they fell.

Re: Low recoil muzzleloader options (load development) [Re: thrstyunderwater] #7245375
04/17/21 10:31 AM
04/17/21 10:31 AM
Happy Valley
CoonsBane Offline
trapper
CoonsBane  Offline
trapper

Happy Valley
70 gr Fffg and a patched round ball hits harder than the "numbers" say it will.

Re: Low recoil muzzleloader options (load development) [Re: thrstyunderwater] #7247846
04/20/21 02:28 PM
04/20/21 02:28 PM
Nevada
trapper
trapper

Nevada
For anyone following this, I went with 80 grains of Blackhorn 209, a 250 grain Barnes T-EZ sabot, and a slip on limb saver pad. Seems to be fine.

Re: Low recoil muzzleloader options (load development) [Re: thrstyunderwater] #7247849
04/20/21 02:36 PM
04/20/21 02:36 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin

Originally Posted by thrstyunderwater
For anyone following this, I went with 80 grains of Blackhorn 209, a 250 grain Barnes T-EZ sabot, and a slip on limb saver pad. Seems to be fine.

that sounds like a good compromise

I hadn't seen your earlier post but the hard part is anything sufficent to kill at the muzzle end leaves some recoil a the shooter end , good fit , a little weight , added recoil pad and a slightly reduced load get you about all you can do to reduced felt recoil

my only other advice would have been work up a reduced recoil load that hits at 50 yards and have then get used to the gun at 50 with that load on a reduced size target then use your normal load at full distance for the hunt , not to many people feel the recoil when they shoot at game , if they do the shot has already left the barrel before they can do anything about it , it is the 2,3,4 shots with the full recoil they may flinch on with a muzzle loader seconds shots are not as common.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Low recoil muzzleloader options (load development) [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7247857
04/20/21 02:42 PM
04/20/21 02:42 PM
Nevada
trapper
trapper

Nevada
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

Originally Posted by thrstyunderwater

that sounds like a good compromise

I hadn't seen your earlier post but the hard part is anything sufficent to kill at the muzzle end leaves some recoil a the shooter end , good fit , a little weight , added recoil pad and a slightly reduced load get you about all you can do to reduced felt recoil

my only other advice would have been work up a reduced recoil load that hits at 50 yards and have then get used to the gun at 50 with that load on a reduced size target then use your normal load at full distance for the hunt , not to many people feel the recoil when they shoot at game , if they do the shot has already left the barrel before they can do anything about it , it is the 2,3,4 shots with the full recoil they may flinch on with a muzzle loader seconds shots are not as common.

Great advice. We are going to practice a lot with pyrodex and a lead projectile (cheaper and less recoil). We will use the Barnes bullet and Blackhorn 209 when the time is right!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread