Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: DecoyMacoy] #7246291
04/18/21 05:49 PM
04/18/21 05:49 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Cross overs can be a two way street.

Last edited by The Beav; 04/18/21 05:52 PM.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: DecoyMacoy] #7246317
04/18/21 06:28 PM
04/18/21 06:28 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
This crossover was set with the #4 on the top side and a 330 on the bottom which held a beaver this morning. It is a long walk into this spot and not really much for set opportunities.

Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: DecoyMacoy] #7246595
04/18/21 11:30 PM
04/18/21 11:30 PM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
Sometimes a vertical stick or even a larger log from the dam to the left or right of the trap will keep them staying offset the perfect distance.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: DecoyMacoy] #7246620
04/19/21 12:59 AM
04/19/21 12:59 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Make sure the trap is bedded solid. A crossover with a #4 set offset in a couple inches of water is my goto beaver set. I know what looks right, but never measure, but I would say an inch to two of water over the pan in preference, usually close to an inch. Less than an inch is better than too much. Like Paul said, dog 90 degrees to the path of approach. Are you using longsprings or coils? Either will work, but I've always found longsprings to be easier to bed solid. When bedding press on all parts of the jaws and springs and make sure it doesn't move or rock. The beaver stepping on the edge of the trap and rocking and moving it before hitting the pan may cause misses or toe catches.
If I had the trap bedded solid with an inch of water over it in a crossover I wouldn't bother with breasting sticks.

Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: DecoyMacoy] #7246681
04/19/21 07:28 AM
04/19/21 07:28 AM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
I know that during spring dispersal when you mud on a signless stretch of water the beaver will mud you back immediately. I also find it interesting the number of hind foot catches in these shallow landing. Setups. I have heard of the backing in theory but have always been uneasy with it.

What triggers dispersal in the southern ice free states? Flood? Is it usually hot and heavy or slow and steady?

Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: DecoyMacoy] #7246717
04/19/21 08:31 AM
04/19/21 08:31 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
But I bet In most cases they are investigating that scent before they try to cover that scent.

Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: DecoyMacoy] #7247503
04/20/21 02:21 AM
04/20/21 02:21 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
In my experience with beavers using footholds I rely on using MB750 traps bedded so there is absolutely no movement. Set for a front foot catch with the dog parallel to the bank. Scent or not or mud. The beaver can walk all over until it steps on the pan. Use a good trail camera.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: DecoyMacoy] #7247565
04/20/21 07:17 AM
04/20/21 07:17 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
As has been stated make sure to bed the trap solid and the dog parallel to the bank so they step between the jaws not over and, 5 pounds of pan tension helps a bunch. For all beaver sets. Ya want that paw inside the jaws before it fires, not just a toe or two. What Paul stated is very true, never say never and there is no always in trapping.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: backroadsarcher] #7247615
04/20/21 08:24 AM
04/20/21 08:24 AM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
Still having problems had another trap all the way to the anchor down the drowner cable. I know I am doing something that is just off a bit. 3 breasting sticks on the front side of the trap and it is set offset. Today it was on a crossover. Enlighten me trappers. I dont want to rely on my 330's only..

What trap are you using? Pan tension?

Last edited by MnMan; 04/20/21 08:40 AM.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: DecoyMacoy] #7248176
04/20/21 08:31 PM
04/20/21 08:31 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
I am using a Duke #4 coil. This the 1st time I have tried them for beaver. I cannot say it's the trap because this is something that happens even with my more higher end traps. Checked today and the same thing, trap snapped and all the way down to the cement block. I don't have any idea what I am doing wrong. I need to learn this. Cannot use 330's every where.

Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: nimzy] #7248347
04/21/21 12:40 AM
04/21/21 12:40 AM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Originally Posted by nimzy
I know that during spring dispersal when you mud on a signless stretch of water the beaver will mud you back immediately. I also find it interesting the number of hind foot catches in these shallow landing. Setups. I have heard of the backing in theory but have always been uneasy with it.

What triggers dispersal in the southern ice free states? Flood? Is it usually hot and heavy or slow and steady?

I have watched hundreds of hours of trail cam footage of beavers. I’ve never seen one back up more than a half step. Very rarely one will move one back foot to the rear one step (that’s half a full pace, so I call it a half step), and after that foot goes back one step, they turn to one side or the other and proceed forward.

I also have a lot of trail cam footage of beaver making castor mounds. Never seen one back up to it. Not one. Now loud flatulence, that I see often. Well maybe not flatulence proper, but sounds the same to my ears. Let’s just say those castor sacs clearly have some gas that is expelled when they spray the yellow...

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: backroadsarcher] #7248560
04/21/21 10:28 AM
04/21/21 10:28 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I am using a Duke #4 coil. This the 1st time I have tried them for beaver. I cannot say it's the trap because this is something that happens even with my more higher end traps. Checked today and the same thing, trap snapped and all the way down to the cement block. I don't have any idea what I am doing wrong. I need to learn this. Cannot use 330's every where.

Are you targeting a front foot or back foot? How much water Is covering your trap?

Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: DecoyMacoy] #7248830
04/21/21 04:25 PM
04/21/21 04:25 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
I am targeting a front foot. Maybe a inch of water over the trap. I am going to check pan tension when I check again. I even have tried hind foot lately thinking maybe they are coming in and hitting the trap with their chest. I don't think they are but I am 2nd guessing everything now.

Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: loosanarrow] #7249008
04/21/21 07:53 PM
04/21/21 07:53 PM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
Originally Posted by loosanarrow
Originally Posted by nimzy

I have watched hundreds of hours of trail cam footage of beavers. I’ve never seen one back up more than a half step. Very rarely one will move one back foot to the rear one step (that’s half a full pace, so I call it a half step), and after that foot goes back one step, they turn to one side or the other and proceed forward.

I also have a lot of trail cam footage of beaver making castor mounds. Never seen one back up to it. Not one. Now loud flatulence, that I see often. Well maybe not flatulence proper, but sounds the same to my ears. Let’s just say those castor sacs clearly have some gas that is expelled when they spray the yellow...

Thanks for the insight. I know a few really good beaver trappers who study the patterns during dispersal. Everyone of them comments on the number of hind foot catches in shallow sets that target the front foot. Which imo a front foot catch is cleaner and consistent. I would think the vast majority of misses were hind foot caught and escaped.

Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: backroadsarcher] #7249515
04/22/21 11:33 AM
04/22/21 11:33 AM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
I am targeting a front foot. Maybe a inch of water over the trap. I am going to check pan tension when I check again. I even have tried hind foot lately thinking maybe they are coming in and hitting the trap with their chest. I don't think they are but I am 2nd guessing everything now.

I'm not sure why but I've had terrible luck with larger Duke's and beaver trapping. Last spring I ran around 40 MB750's, 1 Duke #4 coil, and 1 Duke #4 LS just to test them out. I caught beavers on each of the MB 750's but caught exactly 0 on both the Dukes. My theory was that I wasn't able to adjust the pan tension properly on them, they didn't pinch and hold as well as the MB's, or the jaw spread just wasn't big enough and I was just pinching toes rather than feet. The Dukes are on the shelf for me now. When an MB snaps, it holds.

Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: backroadsarcher] #7249520
04/22/21 11:50 AM
04/22/21 11:50 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin

Have you built a mud type berm in front of your trap or placed a large dead branch so you have the beaver stepping over this berm or the branch. when I mention branch I should say something like a 3" log. The main thing Is you have to have them walking when targeting a front foot.

How far Is your trap from deep water? lots of times a beaver will come In from deep water to shallow water with It's front feet tucked against It's chest. If your trap Is to close to that water depth change you could have that beaver hitting that trap with It's chest and setting It off. A few chest hairs may be caught In the trap and when the beaver takes off and your trap could end up down the slide wire.

Last edited by The Beav; 04/22/21 11:50 AM.

Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: The Beav] #7249682
04/22/21 04:42 PM
04/22/21 04:42 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
Originally Posted by The Beav

Have you built a mud type berm in front of your trap or placed a large dead branch so you have the beaver stepping over this berm or the branch. when I mention branch I should say something like a 3" log. The main thing Is you have to have them walking when targeting a front foot.

How far Is your trap from deep water? lots of times a beaver will come In from deep water to shallow water with It's front feet tucked against It's chest. If your trap Is to close to that water depth change you could have that beaver hitting that trap with It's chest and setting It off. A few chest hairs may be caught In the trap and when the beaver takes off and your trap could end up down the slide wire.

On this dam there is a big enough shelf to hold the trap. 3 feet out from the trap I would say the water is 6ft deep. In order for me to use breasting stcks they need to be a foot long. The whole dam is like this, almost straight up and down on the front and back.

Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: DecoyMacoy] #7249706
04/22/21 05:31 PM
04/22/21 05:31 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Are you setting a dry cross over or are you setting a dam break? If your setting a dam break how much water Is running through It?

Or just get off the dam and make either some baited sets or castor sets.

Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: DecoyMacoy] #7249798
04/22/21 08:27 PM
04/22/21 08:27 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
Dry cross over. Today no activity. Thinking I wised them up. Thats my next thing is to put some fresh popple sticks someplace and see if there is any takers. I also thinking this area might have been trapped before. Its backed up into 2 - 3 different properties and who knows if somebody hit them last fall. Now I am just dealing with the wise ones, which are wiser than this guy. I was called by one of the land owners where the dam is on. But went for a walk and got to an area where I could see a ways. These beaver been doing work on all the landowners properties all around.

Re: Beaver Back Toe Catches [Re: DecoyMacoy] #7253281
04/27/21 09:00 PM
04/27/21 09:00 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
Finally struck, big male on a castor mound tonight. Set for a front foot up tight to the mound end ended up with a rear foot catch. Either way its a catch. Switched traps to a #5 Bridger coil spring.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91