No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 31 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 30 31
Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: strike2x] #7247702
04/20/21 10:37 AM
04/20/21 10:37 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by strike2x
I will be trapping next season for sure. Due to all the money people got from the government and unemployment I was to busy to trap last season. I did set a few out at times but this year,thanks to all the work I have had, I will be trapping at least the whole month of November and part of December. I won't send fur in anymore since the NAFA deal. I will sell go Trevor Barnes and get a fair price judge by quality of fur I produce. I am doi g this as a vacation a d any money made will just be a bonus. The more guys that don't trap the better for me so by all means, keep those traps in the shed this coming season. I think a lot of trappers a afraid to ship fur and don't know where else to turn besides GFW and they pay poorly compared to Barnes. Good luck to all of you that decide to trap. Critters still need to be thinned out in most places or we will have problems later.

And this is why the prices will never advance. Why pay anything when they are pleased with just a little gas money? You are helping to get rid of the fur industry and don't even realize it. Less trappers means less of those who can defend the way of life. Less fur means they will use something else. This industry in a whole is in big trouble. As for thinning of critters, well what is wrong with getting paid to do that? It may be the only thing paying in the trapping world before long. Oh well carry on. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: ponyboy] #7247706
04/20/21 10:39 AM
04/20/21 10:39 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Oley
[quote=GARY M.]Where GFW was paying 3 to 5 for southern raccoon, FHA paid between 1 and 2.50.

No, actually GWF pays the same to everyone. Bring in first week blue coon and you get $3. Bring in your nice prime stuff later on you get the same. He does not buy on quality, he buys on average. It does not pay to sell your higher quality coon to GWF.

Looks like it dont pay to sell your higher quality coon thru FHA.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: LLtrapper] #7247730
04/20/21 11:31 AM
04/20/21 11:31 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Originally Posted by LLtrapper
I will be trapping next season for sure. Due to all the money people got from the government and unemployment I was to busy to trap last season. I did set a few out at times but this year,thanks to all the work I have had, I will be trapping at least the whole month of November and part of December. I won't send fur in anymore since the NAFA deal. I will sell go Trevor Barnes and get a fair price judge by quality of fur I produce. I am doi g this as a vacation a d any money made will just be a bonus. The more guys that don't trap the better for me so by all means, keep those traps in the shed this coming season. I think a lot of trappers a afraid to ship fur and don't know where else to turn besides GFW and they pay poorly compared to Barnes. Good luck to all of you that decide to trap. Critters still need to be thinned out in most places or we will have problems later.

And this is why the prices will never advance. Why pay anything when they are pleased with just a little gas money? You are helping to get rid of the fur industry and don't even realize it. Less trappers means less of those who can defend the way of life. Less fur means they will use something else. This industry in a whole is in big trouble. As for thinning of critters, well what is wrong with getting paid to do that? It may be the only thing paying in the trapping world before long. Oh well carry on. LLL

If I quit trapping then all is already lost
There is a big difference between the hobby trapper putting a few pelts on the market and a professional trapper putting a thousand or more coon on the market himself
Some people trap solely for money and others for pleasure some a little of both
A one size fits all solution is not out there

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: ponyboy] #7247731
04/20/21 11:32 AM
04/20/21 11:32 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
It dont pay to sell any quality coon anywhere right now. Imagine being an auction house where 1/2 the shippers are complaining that you sold too cheap while the other half complains that they have fur sitting there for 2-3 years.

Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: ponyboy] #7247738
04/20/21 11:45 AM
04/20/21 11:45 AM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
2x Turtledale.

Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: LLtrapper] #7247804
04/20/21 01:38 PM
04/20/21 01:38 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted by LLtrapper

Larry, you don't suppose part of the reason the coon price doesn't advance is you Iowa boys didnt take a vacation the last three years or four years?

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: Oley] #7247821
04/20/21 01:57 PM
04/20/21 01:57 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by Oley
Originally Posted by hippie

I figure this will quiet the Groeny bashers up for awhile.

No, actually GWF pays the same to everyone. Bring in first week blue coon and you get $3. Bring in your nice prime stuff later on you get the same. He does not buy on quality, he buys on average. It does not pay to sell your higher quality coon to GWF.

So what's your excuse for the dismal auction prices???

Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: ponyboy] #7247826
04/20/21 01:58 PM
04/20/21 01:58 PM
central IA
B
bodycount Offline
trapper
bodycount  Offline
trapper
B

central IA
I would like to see a NAFA type organization be created again but probably won't happen. Have it be for wild fur only for trappers. I took great care putting up my fur and it paid off in many top lots which made my day. When I went to the ITA convention in the fall the NAFA agent gave me a free hat, pin and tee shirt. These days if I sell to locally extra nice pelts get no more pay than shoddy put up pelts. So I sat out last season as I was still upset with the bad NAFA check of a couple years ago. Such a rotten deal not not getting paid anything and then the rubber check bank charges. If only NAFA had ben run for wild fur only. It was run by trappers but they made a mistake and let ranch fur in. Thank you for your time.

Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: bodycount] #7247851
04/20/21 02:37 PM
04/20/21 02:37 PM
Ontario
S
Saskfly Offline
trapper
Saskfly  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario
Originally Posted by bodycount
I would like to see a NAFA type organization be created again but probably won't happen. Have it be for wild fur only for trappers. I took great care putting up my fur and it paid off in many top lots which made my day. When I went to the ITA convention in the fall the NAFA agent gave me a free hat, pin and tee shirt. These days if I sell to locally extra nice pelts get no more pay than shoddy put up pelts. So I sat out last season as I was still upset with the bad NAFA check of a couple years ago. Such a rotten deal not not getting paid anything and then the rubber check bank charges. If only NAFA had ben run for wild fur only. It was run by trappers but they made a mistake and let ranch fur in. Thank you for your time.

Was this suppose to be tongue in cheek?
You literally just described FHA........just saying.

Older article but you get the idea

https://www.northernontariobusiness...hub-of-10m-fur-trade-industry-303-363736

Last edited by Saskfly; 04/20/21 02:43 PM.
Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: ponyboy] #7247896
04/20/21 03:36 PM
04/20/21 03:36 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline
trapper
coonman220  Offline
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
So better coon sold for what ? $15 top ?

Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: coonman220] #7247906
04/20/21 03:45 PM
04/20/21 03:45 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by coonman220
So better coon sold for what ? $15 top ?

Auctions have more "piles" than country buyers so tops means squat to someone who sends a collection. Average is most important when someone gives one on their whole collection.

Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: ponyboy] #7247926
04/20/21 04:10 PM
04/20/21 04:10 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline
trapper
coonman220  Offline
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
They didn't sell alot of coon so there is no accurate average price, I believe FHA told me over a year ago there is no pt room sales but there is, sound to me the low price of sales were either from shoppers complain about not sell it FHA need move stuff to make money an sold cheap last summer late, or both, groenwold told me a month ago that last summer that no coon were selling an if did a coon go price was a couple bucks

Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: Steven 49er] #7247970
04/20/21 05:16 PM
04/20/21 05:16 PM
northern michigan
S
sjc Offline
trapper
sjc  Offline
trapper
S

northern michigan

And this is why the prices will never advance. Why pay anything when they are pleased with just a little gas money? You are helping to get rid of the fur industry and don't even realize it. Less trappers means less of those who can defend the way of life. Less fur means they will use something else. This industry in a whole is in big trouble. As for thinning of critters, well what is wrong with getting paid to do that? It may be the only thing paying in the trapping world before long. Oh well carry on. LLL[/quote]

Larry, you don't suppose part of the reason the coon price doesn't advance is you Iowa boys didnt take a vacation the last three years or four years?
[/quote]

Kinda like some diary farmers I know. They complain about barely breaking even with low milk prices, but they keep adding cows! Like digging a hole to put dirt in...

Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: ponyboy] #7248035
04/20/21 06:48 PM
04/20/21 06:48 PM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by sjc

Kinda like some diary farmers I know. They complain about barely breaking even with low milk prices, but they keep adding cows! Like digging a hole to put dirt in...[/quote]

Did not trap a single coon this season and probably won't until they get this mess dealt with. The market was still decent and I was told by GFW and FHA that it looked like things were going to get better when I trapped these coon. I trapped them all before Dec. 15 2020 way before the China flu. At the time I was trapping they were seeing 12.00 averages in the country. By the time my coon were ready to sell the crap had hit the fan. It takes a few weeks to scrape a thousand coon. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: LLtrapper] #7248052
04/20/21 07:01 PM
04/20/21 07:01 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Online content
trapper
bblwi  Online Content
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Dairy farmers are looking at nearly $20 milk now and for the near future with premiums. That will be countered by $6 corn and nearly $15 beans on the board for the near term. Commodities usually correlate quite highly but with the COVID shut down more essential commodities like oil, lumber, food, feed, minerals etc. go up quickly, fur is a commodity but not nearly as essential and we will just need to wait our turn and what we don't know is when will it be our turn again and what will be included.

Bryce

Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: ponyboy] #7248138
04/20/21 08:04 PM
04/20/21 08:04 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Online content
trapper
bblwi  Online Content
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Dairy farmers are looking at nearly $20 milk now and for the near future with premiums. That will be countered by $6 corn and nearly $15 beans on the board for the near term. Commodities usually correlate quite highly but with the COVID shut down more essential commodities like oil, lumber, food, feed, minerals etc. go up quickly, fur is a commodity but not nearly as essential and we will just need to wait our turn and what we don't know is when will it be our turn again and what will be included.

Bryce

Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: bodycount] #7248153
04/20/21 08:13 PM
04/20/21 08:13 PM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by bodycount

Sure they do. GFW always has a top lot. One at 15 and the rest at 3 and some no value. It really is the same except you don't get a fancy certificate and a stupid hat. I have enough top lot certificates I could wallpaper my shop. It used to mean something but now they hand them out like participation trophies. I had a coon in the top lot of the last internet sale that sold for 25.00 and they never even sent me my certificate. The postage was as much as their commission I guess. LLL

Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: ponyboy] #7248224
04/20/21 09:19 PM
04/20/21 09:19 PM
Labrador, Canada
C
crosspatch Offline
trapper
crosspatch  Offline
trapper
C

Labrador, Canada
More results just posted.

Last edited by crosspatch; 04/20/21 09:19 PM.
Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: ponyboy] #7248239
04/20/21 09:55 PM
04/20/21 09:55 PM
ON
J
Jackson 129890 Offline
trapper
Jackson 129890  Offline
trapper
J

ON
Just avreged 1.70 US 579 large -1x squiral. Thats over 2$ can heck hasent been thst good for many years.

Re: FURHARVESTERS [Re: crosspatch] #7248245
04/20/21 09:58 PM
04/20/21 09:58 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Online content
trapper
bblwi  Online Content
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I will trap next year for sure. When it comes to coon I will do so to keep my farmer land owners satisfied that I will remove them, even if they don't wind up being sold. There is a sense of responsibility at times when land owner have let you trap their property for 40 plus years. As to rats, yes that will happen. I am watching a lot of the smaller sloughs dry up all ready. We need some moisture or we will have a lot of what has been good rat habitat the last two years dry and dry early.

Bryce

Page 24 of 31 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 30 31
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread