No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251818
04/25/21 08:13 PM
04/25/21 08:13 PM
montana
M
merganser Offline
trapper
merganser  Offline
trapper
M

montana
I started teaching Hunters Ed. 25 years ago. At that time some trapping was included. Over time, unfortunetly, the trapping part of the ciriculum is gone. They have increased the amount of ethics, which is needed. I would love to teach trappers Ed. as well. We'll see if they will take me.!

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251871
04/25/21 09:09 PM
04/25/21 09:09 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Instead of complaining about your states Trapping organization that fights for your RIGHT to trap maybe you should get involved in the MTA so you can have a legitimate voice. Otherwise keep your mouth shut.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251921
04/25/21 10:10 PM
04/25/21 10:10 PM
Ks
Flint Hill fur Offline
trapper
Flint Hill fur  Offline
trapper

Ks
cool

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251925
04/25/21 10:13 PM
04/25/21 10:13 PM
Chandler,Indiana USA
N
Netman Offline
trapper
Netman  Offline
trapper
N

Chandler,Indiana USA
I’m against mandatory trapper education. However if you have the desire to attend good for you. Trappers are there own worse enemy. I just can’t imagine a rational trapper demanding more regulations.

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Netman] #7251942
04/25/21 10:37 PM
04/25/21 10:37 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Originally Posted by Netman
I’m against mandatory trapper education. However if you have the desire to attend good for you. Trappers are there own worse enemy. I just can’t imagine a rational trapper demanding more regulations.

No trappers are DEMANDING more regulations. They are offering regulations in order to help fight the brutal fight the antis have levied upon Montana. I have messaged the OP of this post twice now very politely asking where he heard about the new trapping class law in Montana and then when he saw my message and removed himself from the conversation without replying I messaged him again asking why he wouldn't answer my question even though he is vocal on this thread. He "saw" my second message yet didn't respond. It is my belief that he may be a mole for the anti's. Newer member on the forum. No one in Montana on this forum I know has heard of him or talked to him or knows who he is.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Wild_Idaho] #7251951
04/25/21 11:02 PM
04/25/21 11:02 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho

No trappers are DEMANDING more regulations. They are offering regulations in order to help fight the brutal fight the antis have levied upon Montana. I have messaged the OP of this post twice now very politely asking where he heard about the new trapping class law in Montana and then when he saw my message and removed himself from the conversation without replying I messaged him again asking why he wouldn't answer my question even though he is vocal on this thread. He "saw" my second message yet didn't respond. It is my belief that he may be a mole for the anti's. Newer member on the forum. No one in Montana on this forum I know has heard of him or talked to him or knows who he is.

Hmmmm

I wished he would have directly responded to the logic and at least acknowledged the value of other's reasoning. Instead he either changed the subject , or simply repeated lines in repetitive phrases, as if stuck in a groove.

When I perceive responses like that, I can discern how the attempted reasoning will result.

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251959
04/25/21 11:20 PM
04/25/21 11:20 PM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
Hi, Sharon.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Wild_Idaho] #7251962
04/25/21 11:32 PM
04/25/21 11:32 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho

I also introduced myself and gave a ph number to contact me no answer yet!

Last edited by red mt; 04/25/21 11:33 PM.

Kenneth schoening
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: USMC47 🦫] #7252117
04/26/21 09:53 AM
04/26/21 09:53 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by USMC47
Hi, Sharon.

Hey Jon ....glad to have you as a Montanan neighbor . The more veterans here, the better.

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: adam m] #7252203
04/26/21 01:14 PM
04/26/21 01:14 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by adam m
I agree with wissmiss too. I learned a few things with NM's trappers ed course which is a nationally recognized course.

Warning!!!!!
Montana be very very very careful. NM implemented a mandatory trappers ed course and a few changes to rules and that wasn't enough to satisfy the anti's and we just lost trapping in NM. This past year was the first season of implementation of said compromised changes.

Kind of sucks that you lost trapping on public land, but look on the bright side, you gained a bunch of good for trappers regulations.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7252223
04/26/21 02:05 PM
04/26/21 02:05 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline OP
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
So Wild how do you like your crow? [Linked Image]
BBQ,Deep Fried,Smoked or raw?

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7252224
04/26/21 02:06 PM
04/26/21 02:06 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Idaho implemented a mandatory class a couple years ago, and a mandatory wolf class back when they approved wolf trapping. I didn't have to take the Idaho class because I have been trapping for years. I did sit through it and the wolf class with a 10 year old however, as well as take the wolf class back when wolf trapping was first allowed. Unfortunately back then the class I took was not one taught by Jack, everyone I have talked to who took one of his classes talked highly of it. While the class was definitely heavy on ethics, it did have a younger Fish and Game trapper there who took everyone outside and made a couple wolf sets out back and did some actual teaching on trapping. Unfortunately he had only trapped wolves in the summer and couldn't teach much on trapping in snow or freeze/thaw, which was kind of important since at that time our wolf season didn't open until November 15. When I sat through the two classes last year with the 10 year old they were entirely ethics, no how to at all. And the "trapper" who taught them wasn't even a good BSer. He acts like he traps, but talking to him you soon figure out that he sets a few beaver and coon traps, that is about it. He teaches a wolf course and acts like he traps them, but if you get him off by himself and talk to him a few minutes you discover he has never caught a wolf (and honestly I doubt has ever set a wolf trap, but he did not admit to that). He IS in favor of much more severe restrictions on trappers and vocally upset over IDFG loosening snaring restrictions on wolves and allowing the use baits and large jawspread traps.

In my opinion it is a waste of time for practically any adult, because it is purely ethics and most adults already have their ethics or lack thereof ingrained. They are either going to be ethical, or go sit through the class because they are required to and ignore all the ethics teaching as "stupid."

If it included some how to I would say it wouldn't be a bad idea for juveniles.

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7252231
04/26/21 02:28 PM
04/26/21 02:28 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline OP
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
Trapping and trappers will find strong support with me. You don't have to know me to know that I am a strong ally of trapping. If you can't discern that from my first post then I hope this will explain it more. I suspect that one of the reasons Greg signed this legislation was because how would he look not supporting Trapper education after what he went thru recently. Who knows but I would not put it past Trap Free to rat him out and use that as leverage to pass this law IMO being in bed with Trap Free Montana is a wrong and trying to appease them or the general public by implementing a trapper ed requirement is the wrong approach. Trap Free Montana are very nasty people and they will NEVER stop trying to outlaw trapping .I have stood against them" TFM" many times when they tried to get the legislator or citizens to outlaw trapping and I will continue to do so. I am not going to explain here all the things I have done. But rest assured I have the trappers back. There are some good posts in this thread that are worth the effort to read and think about. Take time to read some of them as I have. Until latter tight chains!

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7252240
04/26/21 03:13 PM
04/26/21 03:13 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
"Why is Trapping Reform Necessary in Montana

Montana Received D- Grade for Trapping Regulations: Montana has one of the worst grades in the nation for trapping reform while killing over 192,000 known REPORTED animals from 2011-2014 and trapping over 100 dogs per FWP reports. Nationwide, grades were awarded based on prohibiting body-crushing traps and snares for recreation or commerce in fur, requiring trapper education, requiring trappers report the number of animals they kill, maintaining records of non-target animals trapped, having a minimal required trap check time of 24 hours. Image of coyote and quote from Albert Einstein - “The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.”Grades also include positive marks for prohibiting trapping of bobcats and otters, both vulnerable to over-exploitation. Born Free compared states and Montana just scraped by a failing grade by requiring traps are affixed with the owner's identity."

Trap free Montana. Send us money we are making progress. Eventually we will get Montana up to a "B minus" like Ohio. Eventually an" A plus" like California.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7252287
04/26/21 04:46 PM
04/26/21 04:46 PM
Hathaway Montana
Cathouse Jim Offline
trapper
Cathouse Jim  Offline
trapper

Hathaway Montana
MTA Education Committee has been working on mandatory Trapper Ed for over a decade. The reasoning was that if trappers were taught proper so many future problems could be eliminated. Flash back to December 2019 where at Missoula a dog was trapped and killed in city limits by two recent out of state implants who decided to take up trapping. If they had taken an Education course and learned the ethics and proper methods this fiasco could have been prevented. The MTA welcomes new trappers, but anyone who has trapped doesn't want to see anybody walk into a sporting goods store and purchase traps and set them randomly. That gives everyone a black eye and damage to the sport.

The last legislative session two years ago - Trap free Montana, Foot Loose, and Wolves of the Rockies was pushing for their input for the Trapper Ed. That did not happen due to the work of the MTA and that bill was killed. This past legislation and the bill that was signed by Governor Greg Gianforte was all MTA input. The anti groups lost their minds as they have no say so on this education program - which is how it should be. Anyone that has ever attended the legislative process knows that nothing happens quick. To say Governor Gianforte signed this bill to to cover his arse is ridiculous.

Nobody complains that they have taken a Hunter Safety course, Bowhunter Safety course, or FWP Bear identification course. Montana has set high standards with their Youth Education Program and many states have used it model their education programs.

It is true Montana has a battle with several anti groups, but bashing the State Trapper Association,National Trapper Association and the Governor who supports trapping is not making any headway on this fight. A thread like this just promotes division and brings in the trolls. If something is being done you don't approve of, Buck up and get involved and be a voice. All District Director and Board members are volunteers. New people and ideas are always welcomed.

"I've reached nearly fifty four years of age with my system."

NTA Life member
MTA Life member
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Cathouse Jim] #7252329
04/26/21 06:31 PM
04/26/21 06:31 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Cathouse Jim
MTA Education Committee has been working on mandatory Trapper Ed for over a decade. The reasoning was that if trappers were taught proper so many future problems could be eliminated. Flash back to December 2019 where at Missoula a dog was trapped and killed in city limits by two recent out of state implants who decided to take up trapping. If they had taken an Education course and learned the ethics and proper methods this fiasco could have been prevented. The MTA welcomes new trappers, but anyone who has trapped doesn't want to see anybody walk into a sporting goods store and purchase traps and set them randomly. That gives everyone a black eye and damage to the sport.

The last legislative session two years ago - Trap free Montana, Foot Loose, and Wolves of the Rockies was pushing for their input for the Trapper Ed. That did not happen due to the work of the MTA and that bill was killed. This past legislation and the bill that was signed by Governor Greg Gianforte was all MTA input. The anti groups lost their minds as they have no say so on this education program - which is how it should be. Anyone that has ever attended the legislative process knows that nothing happens quick. To say Governor Gianforte signed this bill to to cover his arse is ridiculous.

Nobody complains that they have taken a Hunter Safety course, Bowhunter Safety course, or FWP Bear identification course. Montana has set high standards with their Youth Education Program and many states have used it model their education programs.

It is true Montana has a battle with several anti groups, but bashing the State Trapper Association,National Trapper Association and the Governor who supports trapping is not making any headway on this fight. A thread like this just promotes division and brings in the trolls. If something is being done you don't approve of, Buck up and get involved and be a voice. All District Director and Board members are volunteers. New people and ideas are always welcomed.

Great post and thank you for your hard work along with everyone else fighting the good fight.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Cathouse Jim] #7252368
04/26/21 07:39 PM
04/26/21 07:39 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by Cathouse Jim

I agree, great post. Positive and correct in facts.

We who actually work with the ones in office, communicating, calling, doing the footwork with associations , know the true facts of how hard Greg G, works and is informed , making tough decisions in details of tactical nature that others who only hoot at a distance in whining complaints will never see or appreciate. To accuse our Governor of adroitly signing anything just to cover his 6 is showing immense ignorance and just how much they do not understand what goes into the process and how many groups and individuals are actually involved in the drafting of HB , exchanging council , tactics , even with help of ones specializing in MT law and our Constitution, if necessary. As you said so well, none of these HB are made and signed overnight. Hardly.

And I have seen veteran trappers surprised when instructors like our Jack, and others, have informed them of changed or refined laws in their state, that they had no idea happened....along with teaching even them new ways in trapping techniques, when they thought they knew it all. It CAN actually benefit seasoned trappers too.

The most amazing trappers I have known, heard or read about are humble , and always open to refinement , realizing there is always room for advancement and growth.They don't beat their chest like a silverback , brag about themselves, and complain at the same time.

And by them attending, they not only help exchange information so valued, they inspire newer ones in much encouragement. And the instructors of those classes love to see them and have them add their experiences and stories.

As iron sharpens iron, so the face of one man sharpens the other.

As you put so well, instead of bashing the governor and others simply spreads false accusations, devoid of depth in knowledge, and feeds the troll leprechauns . If they don't want to roll up their sleeves and help, as the saying goes, they are very free to leave.

Put on the big kid pants , get involved, and help the other volunteers who are working so hard.

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7252372
04/26/21 07:47 PM
04/26/21 07:47 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Slick pan what is the problem with calling your district rep. Since you are a member. Find out the facts ?

Kenneth schoening
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7252384
04/26/21 08:01 PM
04/26/21 08:01 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
They're not interested in facts. More into bashing and trolling. They don't know what they don't know.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: rpmartin] #7252398
04/26/21 08:27 PM
04/26/21 08:27 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by rpmartin
They're not interested in facts. More into bashing and trolling. They don't know what they don't know.

You didn't even know what a ballot initiative was the other day Obi- Wan. blush

Who is John Galt?
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread