No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: BernieB.] #7252834
04/27/21 11:25 AM
04/27/21 11:25 AM
Northern CA
R
Robert Martin Offline
trapper
Robert Martin  Offline
trapper
R

Northern CA
Originally Posted by BernieB.

It's really not worth it to me to pay $1250 just to know where the property line is. Should it be? And the next question is, if the buildings are actually on my land, What are my options? Sell him a slice of land? Is that worth all the trouble?

Looking for advice.

$2,500 is probably a good deal for the survey... each property is different, and depending on how the deeds are written, or what (if any) recent surveys are in the near vicinity, will dictate the cost of the survey. I recommend getting a second quote for the survey, unless you know the first quote is from an established company with a good reputation. A Boundary Line Adjustment (BLA) will be required to sell him a slice of land, and the total out of pocket cost of a BLA will be much more than $2,500.

regardless I STRONLY RECOMEND GETTING THE LINE SURVEYED ASAP!! waiting any longer will NOT be beneficial.

Robert Martin
Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: BernieB.] #7252842
04/27/21 11:49 AM
04/27/21 11:49 AM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK

Lake frontage is where the value is. It should be appraised prior to selling it.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: Rat Masterson] #7252851
04/27/21 12:08 PM
04/27/21 12:08 PM
West Virginia
W
WV Danimal Offline
trapper
WV Danimal  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Get it surveyed and split the cost, if the building is on yours then sell him a strip of land at the going rate. I will bet you come out ahead.

I don't get this concept. I would be the bad guy in this situation. Why would I suffer loss of my land because he screwed up? Is that not awarding him for bullying his way onto your property? In this case, HE should make it right and at his expense.

Trash your goals and plans for life. Just wing it and you'll never be let down!
Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: WV Danimal] #7252855
04/27/21 12:10 PM
04/27/21 12:10 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Originally Posted by WV Danimal
Get it surveyed and split the cost, if the building is on yours then sell him a strip of land at the going rate. I will bet you come out ahead.

I don't get this concept. I would be the bad guy in this situation. Why would I suffer loss of my land because he screwed up? Is that not awarding him for bullying his way onto your property? In this case, HE should make it right and at his expense.

Excellent post!!!!!

Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: WV Danimal] #7252862
04/27/21 12:24 PM
04/27/21 12:24 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Originally Posted by WV Danimal

I agree with you. But here is an idea on how to make this right, and I think everyone might be happy.
When doing a boundary line adjustment, you do not need to run the new line parallel to the existing line for example you don't need to give him 5 feet or so all the way down the line.
After looking at the old original diagram, you could take the boundary line in question and run it at an angle the axis of the property line being about in its center. On the Westside (or the road side of the property) the OP would give his neighbor several feet along the road, and on the east end of the property (or the lake side) the neighbor would give the OP an equal amount of footage. This is assuming the axis is in the middle of the property.

Now, assuming the lake frontage has more value than the road frontage, you could move the axis point of your line a little to the east thereby the neighbor would not be giving up as much footage along the lake, as the OP would be givi h up along the road.
The first scenario I mentioned would give both property owners an equal amount of property in exchange. The second option would apportion each property owner according to the value exchanged.
I hope I explained this clearly enough

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: BernieB.] #7252865
04/27/21 12:26 PM
04/27/21 12:26 PM
Wisconsin
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
My land, my money, I paid for it, I paid taxes for it. I will not give an inch, not one inch!

Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: BernieB.] #7252870
04/27/21 12:32 PM
04/27/21 12:32 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
One thing to keep in mind is that the most recent surveyor is right. I had one of my lines run by a registered land surveyor. The neighbor didn't like it and got one of his drinking buddies who is a surveyor to run it again and low and behold the line moved 50+ feet. Crooked? Yes! My only legal recourse? Pay the $7500 to have the line run again. It sucks.

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: 160user] #7252874
04/27/21 12:38 PM
04/27/21 12:38 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Originally Posted by 160user
One thing to keep in mind is that the most recent surveyor is right. I had one of my lines run by a registered land surveyor. The neighbor didn't like it and got one of his drinking buddies who is a surveyor to run it again and low and behold the line moved 50+ feet. Crooked? Yes! My only legal recourse? Pay the $7500 to have the line run again. It sucks.

Request a meeting with all parties.

Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: FairbanksLS] #7252879
04/27/21 12:42 PM
04/27/21 12:42 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
Originally Posted by white dog

Request a meeting with all parties.

I did. They refused based on most recent surveyor being correct. The guy is a real "peach".

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: 160user] #7252883
04/27/21 12:45 PM
04/27/21 12:45 PM
West Virginia
W
WV Danimal Offline
trapper
WV Danimal  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia

Glad you brought this up, dealing with that right now also. Have one deed, that shows my boundary. Another survey done 12 years later by the neighbor shows the line about 20 feet off to his benefit. How can that be? I'm no surveyor but I thought coordinances are global/exact???? Who and how do you figure which one is correct?

Trash your goals and plans for life. Just wing it and you'll never be let down!
Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: BernieB.] #7252885
04/27/21 12:48 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK

Did your surveyor provide you with an explanation? He should have. All surveyors are human. I don't know any that are crooks.

Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: BernieB.] #7252886
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
I don’t know the law in MN , but in NY if someone uses the property openly and notoriously for 10 years they may have a claim to the land through adverse possession. They have to prove that right, and it can be expensive to prove adverse possession in court. So I would get it surveyed and locate the exact line ASAP.

Last edited by Squash; 04/27/21 12:49 PM.
Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: 160user] #7252888
04/27/21 12:50 PM
04/27/21 12:50 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN

Depends on who that registered surveyor is: A registered DNR surveyor surveyed one edge of my field a few years ago. He marked the line about 30 feet into my corn field...which was another 40 feet from the actual line. Luckily I knew where one of the original corner- markers was located (from the 1800s I was told)

If you ever want to see a surveyor jump for joy like he just won the lottery, watch him find one of those old 1800s corner markers. It's entertaining and apparently a pretty big deal for a surveyor to be that accurate.

I always wondered how accurate the online GIS maps were.

Last edited by Calvin; 04/27/21 12:52 PM.
Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: BernieB.] #7252897
04/27/21 01:01 PM
04/27/21 01:01 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK

I doubt the neighbor is going to go to court and spend thousands when he probably could move the existing shed with a come-a-long.

Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: BernieB.] #7252935
04/27/21 02:01 PM
04/27/21 02:01 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
If you have a lot, there has already been a full survey done. You just need a surveyor to do a spot survey to find the pins......if you can't find them yourself.

Get it settled now, as a property line encroachment is a cloud on the title of both properties. His mistake, he gets to tear it all out and move it. There may be some other options to settle this, but mine is mine and yours is yours is the best route long term.

Have also seen several instances where survey lines have moved. Generally corners and fences set on lines established by government surveys done 150 years ago. With modern equipment, new surveys move the lines. Have yet to see a good resolution or standing rule of thumb or law to settle it. Guy who gains ground is always happy. Guy who loses ground always not.

Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: BernieB.] #7252938
04/27/21 02:08 PM
04/27/21 02:08 PM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

sometimes PA sometimes ME
Originally Posted by BernieB.
Seems there are folks from every walk of life on here so here's a question for those of you who might know something about these topics.

I have a piece of lakeshore property and as you can see by the photo, my neighbor to the north has a building which seems to be sitting partially on my property according to the GIS lines. No big deal to me, I want to be a good neighbor and I'm not interested in causing a stink, I've never said anything about it to him. It's just a pole building he stores his boat in. The GIS lines are not legal anyway.

[Linked Image]

So now he decides to build another building and pours the concrete pad which appears to also have a corner on my property. I put a box on the pic where it is located. So I decide to contact him and chat about it. He says he doesn't know where the property lines are exactly and he's sorry if it's on my land. After some discussion, he stops construction on the building and calls a surveyor. The surveyor says it will be $2500 to find the property line. The neighbor then calls me and asks if I'll pay half of it. At first I figure that's fair enough but after thinking about I'm not really sure why I should. I finally told him don't worry about it let's just live and let live, which he seems okay with but now it's been 6 months and he has not continued building. Gotta feeling this isn't over.

It's really not worth it to me to pay $1250 just to know where the property line is. Should it be? And the next question is, if the buildings are actually on my land, What are my options? Sell him a slice of land? Is that worth all the trouble?

Looking for advice.

UPDATE:
based on the advice below I called the county zoning department and asked about setbacks. There is a setback requirement of 10 feet for both buildings so I am certain he is violating that, even if he's not violating the actual Line. Everyone I have talked to in the zoning and land departments are telling me that the lines are spot on. I guess my only real choice at this point is to sell him a slice of land. If he's not willing to buy the land and pay all the costs, I guess then we'll decide where to go from there. Interestingly, the zoning department checked and told me that he has not applied for a building permit yet.

I am a licensed Professional Land Surveyor in PA. I'll start by explaining what GIS means. GIS = Get It Surveyed. GIS lines are not "spot on" at times they are close, but never accurate for land boundary disputes. Selling a slice of land may not be easy. Most municipalities will have a book of rules explaining what must be done to sell the slice. In PA both properties would need surveyed and a sub-division plan filed. Without knowing parcel sizes I would guess you're looking at a $10,000 + job. At a minimum (to protect you interests) tell him in writing to remove his structures from your land or tell him that his structures are in violation of set back requirements and may in fact be on you land. You can either make a complaint with the governing municipality or let it slide. Letting it slide could result in you losing some land thru adverse possession.

Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: HayDay] #7252965
04/27/21 03:01 PM
04/27/21 03:01 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by HayDay
If you have a lot, there has already been a full survey done. You just need a surveyor to do a spot survey to find the pins......if you can't find them yourself.

Get it settled now, as a property line encroachment is a cloud on the title of both properties. His mistake, he gets to tear it all out and move it. There may be some other options to settle this, but mine is mine and yours is yours is the best route long term.

Have also seen several instances where survey lines have moved. Generally corners and fences set on lines established by government surveys done 150 years ago. With modern equipment, new surveys move the lines. Have yet to see a good resolution or standing rule of thumb or law to settle it. Guy who gains ground is always happy. Guy who loses ground always not.

Only one of the corners of my lot has a marker and it's on the opposite corner.

Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: FairbanksLS] #7252966
04/27/21 03:02 PM
04/27/21 03:02 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by white dog

I doubt the neighbor is going to go to court and spend thousands when he probably could move the existing shed with a come-a-long.

Don't think you're going to move a pole building or a concrete slab with a comealong.

Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: BernieB.] #7252969
04/27/21 03:07 PM
04/27/21 03:07 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Bernie,
Maybe he will let you pile a bunch of junk you seldom use in the corner of the building thats on your property. Then you will have re-established ownership and don't have to worry about adverse possession. grin

Re: property-surveying-legal questions [Re: BernieB.] #7253016
04/27/21 04:10 PM
04/27/21 04:10 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Eb got it right. But he forgot the lawyers fees when thing get heated up.

Getting that initial marker you have Degrees of angle off that marker to shoot from.

160user when you go back to the most recient survey you have to look at what field survey note book they used. Many times there were mistakes and corrections have to be made. They had to register that other survey and you would have had to been notified ( which you were probably not)

Bernie just remember the phrase; " you can divorce your wife but you can't divorce your neighbour"
put you foot down; it is going to cost you come selling time.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread