No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Trapper Associations #7254227
04/28/21 11:29 PM
04/28/21 11:29 PM
Fargo, ND
S
schmattz Offline OP
trapper
schmattz  Offline OP
trapper
S

Fargo, ND
I have noticed lately that several members on here are shaming the rest of us for not being part of trapper associations in several of the recent threads. I am not proud of the fact that I am not a part of any associations but there is a good reason that I am not. I have been to both the Minnesota and North Dakota conventions where they have their board meetings. The conduct of the board members has showed me that they do not stand for the same things as I do. Both seem to have the theory that every animal in the state is theirs and are against letting non residents trap in their state or great restrict their opportunities to the point that no one would want to come to their state. They both are pushing policies with their respective DNR or Fish and Game to push state policies to limit or completely restrict others' ability to trap in their state. I am sure that goes against what the same people who shame us for not being part of these organizations are arguing for in theses threads and they don't even know it. It seems that some people are members of one or more of these organizations without ever going to one of these meetings. That seems very irresponsible to me. If a board member is going to be talking to the state about matters that concern me, I certainly want to know where they stand. Just like any other political election. I can go into further details for those who wish.

I just want to state that I am all for a trappers associations that are standing up to the DNR or Fish and Game when to comes to them trying to stop the DNR or Fish and Game from adding restrictions on trappers but not at the expense of others who want to come enjoy trapping.

Schmattz

My YouTube Channel: Schmattz Outdoors
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKRcUUVdsl1Po-CQ5zc4hTw

Trapping goals:
Stay Dry
Don't catch myself!!!

Re: Trapper Associations [Re: schmattz] #7254233
04/28/21 11:39 PM
04/28/21 11:39 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

The track would then be to;
A. Join
B. Give input as a member
C. Run as a candidate against those you oppose

Tiss the democratic process.
Sitting the sidelines is Monday morning quarterbacking and is now the norm in the 21st century.
Or fight amongst each other to the point that someone takes their football down the road and starts their own group.
That's called pride.
If I was an anti-trapper, I'd known EXACTLY what to do to divide trappers amongst themselves.
Exactly.

Besides, when is there ever a quorum of more than "one" that agrees on everything?
The theme would be to support the group with consensus of what we stand firm on: trapping.
The rest is semantics, blood, sweat, and tears.

Re: Trapper Associations [Re: schmattz] #7254248
04/29/21 12:05 AM
04/29/21 12:05 AM
Iowa
C
CTRAPS Offline
trapper
CTRAPS  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
Originally Posted by schmattz
I have noticed lately that several members on here are shaming the rest of us for not being part of trapper associations in several of the recent threads. I am not proud of the fact that I am not a part of any associations but there is a good reason that I am not. I have been to both the Minnesota and North Dakota conventions where they have their board meetings. The conduct of the board members has showed me that they do not stand for the same things as I do. Both seem to have the theory that every animal in the state is theirs and are against letting non residents trap in their state or great restrict their opportunities to the point that no one would want to come to their state. They both are pushing policies with their respective DNR or Fish and Game to push state policies to limit or completely restrict others' ability to trap in their state. I am sure that goes against what the same people who shame us for not being part of these organizations are arguing for in theses threads and they don't even know it. It seems that some people are members of one or more of these organizations without ever going to one of these meetings. That seems very irresponsible to me. If a board member is going to be talking to the state about matters that concern me, I certainly want to know where they stand. Just like any other political election. I can go into further details for those who wish.

I just want to state that I am all for a trappers associations that are standing up to the DNR or Fish and Game when to comes to them trying to stop the DNR or Fish and Game from adding restrictions on trappers but not at the expense of others who want to come enjoy trapping.

Schmattz

I'm hoping you made your thoughts and concerns known to the associations you referred to. If so, what were the responses you received regarding your concerns of the board members and their conduct? Was there any feedback from the state associations when you pointed out your opposition to their non-resident positions? I'd suggest this... get involved, be proactive. If you don't like how things are being done, do something about it. You might be surprised to find out there are other member who feel the same as you and together, you can make a difference. Walking away solves nothing.

Life Member: ITA, IBA & NRA. Member of SA, FTA & NTA
Re: Trapper Associations [Re: schmattz] #7254335
04/29/21 06:53 AM
04/29/21 06:53 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Join your state organization. As a member, you are allowed to attend and participate in board meetings. You may not get the results you want, but at least you'll be doing something.

Re: Trapper Associations [Re: schmattz] #7254394
04/29/21 08:42 AM
04/29/21 08:42 AM
wyoming
W
WyFurHarvesters Offline
trapper
WyFurHarvesters  Offline
trapper
W

wyoming
Well said Mark, trapdog and others!

Re: Trapper Associations [Re: schmattz] #7254425
04/29/21 09:28 AM
TN
L
lcd Offline
trapper
lcd  Offline
trapper
L

TN
I have been a long time ( 80's) member of several state associations and the NTA. Things don't always work out the way we would like them to, but we must hang in there and just keep plugging away to make the changes that need to be made. To not join is to give up and give in to those who would destroy our way of life. No excuse for not joining and become a part of the solution. Just follow Mark's advice.

Re: Trapper Associations [Re: schmattz] #7254427
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Sounds like you should PM Bob Mo and see about joining his trapper's association. You seem to have similar goals at least when it comes to the non-resident issue.

Different trappers have different goals and ideas.. We are not one big happy family.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Trapper Associations [Re: schmattz] #7254432
04/29/21 09:32 AM
04/29/21 09:32 AM
New York ,Adirondack mts.
M
mole Offline
"The Tman morning greeter"
mole  Offline
"The Tman morning greeter"
M

New York ,Adirondack mts.
Debbie & I both belong & Support our local state & National Associations. We believe that if you are not part of the solution than you are part of the problem

Re: Trapper Associations [Re: schmattz] #7254441
04/29/21 09:52 AM
04/29/21 09:52 AM
Iowa
C
CTRAPS Offline
trapper
CTRAPS  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
Even if you aren't a member of any trapping association(s), chances are pretty good that most of the positive things that trappers enjoy, came about because of organized trappers, working together. An old timer once told me " the only difference between an excuse and a reason, is the person explaining it".

Life Member: ITA, IBA & NRA. Member of SA, FTA & NTA
Re: Trapper Associations [Re: schmattz] #7254472
04/29/21 11:10 AM
04/29/21 11:10 AM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Very well said Mr.Mole. Without the trapping associations how many of us would still be trapping? These associations may not be perfect but far better than having nothing at all. I belong to two state associations, a local group, and the NTA. I am convinced that in a state as liberal as New York we would not be trapping today if it were not for our trapping association.It is a shame that far too many let others carry the ball and find excuses not to join or try to take down the association if things don't go their way.

Re: Trapper Associations [Re: ] #7254475
04/29/21 11:16 AM
04/29/21 11:16 AM
PA
M
marathonman Offline
trapper
marathonman  Offline
trapper
M

PA
Originally Posted by Mark June
The track would then be to;
A. Join
B. Give input as a member
C. Run as a candidate against those you oppose

Tiss the democratic process.
Sitting the sidelines is Monday morning quarterbacking and is now the norm in the 21st century.
Or fight amongst each other to the point that someone takes their football down the road and starts their own group.
That's called pride.
If I was an anti-trapper, I'd known EXACTLY what to do to divide trappers amongst themselves.
Exactly.

Besides, when is there ever a quorum of more than "one" that agrees on everything?
The theme would be to support the group with consensus of what we stand firm on: trapping.
The rest is semantics, blood, sweat, and tears.

great reply..get involved don't make excuses..be part of the group

Re: Trapper Associations [Re: schmattz] #7254533
04/29/21 12:30 PM
04/29/21 12:30 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Join and make your opinions known. We all have differences but have the common ground of being trappers and not wanting to loose that right.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Trapper Associations [Re: schmattz] #7254547
04/29/21 01:19 PM
04/29/21 01:19 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
I'm a relatively new trapper at 61. By joining here I was made aware of my ignorance/lack of knowledge about trapping, the full out assault on trapping and the folks and organizations taking up the fight. I was never called out but garnered information reading different perspectives. I now belong to multiple state associations, the NTA and the FTA. The states other than the one I live in I have never trapped and may never get to but I believe I can maybe have a positive effect by supporting those being attacked. New Mexico being one that needs all the support they can get. Wisconsin just received some favorable outcomes on some issues. As my situation allows I intend to join others. I strongly believe that like minded people have to stick together and support each other. We may not agree on every issue but I would think we all agree that maintaining our heritage and limiting restrictions coupled with common sense management practices. Just my 2 cents. If you are able get involved. If you belong to areas outside your area that are fighting the good fight you add ammo to their arsonal. It also allows you a seat at the table to discuss issues share ideas and maybe even learn something.

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread