No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: learch] #7258766
05/06/21 08:55 AM
05/06/21 08:55 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by learch

Originally Posted by Finster

Let's see. My attitude?
1. Be on time
2. Quote me the real price and don't play games
3. Install windows with your own people not some fly by night sub contractor.
4. Give me references.
Well, if you consider that having a bad attitude, you wouldn't be allowed down the driveway.

You have rules and so do I. I’d fire you before you would hire me.
Sounds to me that you're the type of guy that rips off everyone he has ever dealt with since those 4 things upset you so much.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258778
05/06/21 09:32 AM
05/06/21 09:32 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
SSSSSick em Finster.
Bet I'm not the only one curious to know who the lucky winner of this contract is lol.
Be sure and second guess their every move.

I know I know, shut up lol.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258783
05/06/21 09:40 AM
05/06/21 09:40 AM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
Right now demand is so high in this area that you are lucky to find a reliable contractor that's not already booked for the year let alone one willing to jump through hoops. Good luck in your quest.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258786
05/06/21 09:42 AM
05/06/21 09:42 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
I was a contractor for years and had my own business although I never dealt with windows. Never wanted to and always gave that call to someone else. Hey, it's my money, it's good money and I expect the craftsmanship and professionalism I would have given my customers for the kind of money that I will be putting out. If they don't want that work and can't handle doing a good job, they don't need to bid. Simple as that. I could buy a new car, at least, for what windows are going to cost. I'm a great guy to work for as long as you do your job. I ask and expect nothing less and I do not see where I'm being hard to work with. These are basic principals please tell me how this is harsh?

If you're paying for quality windows you also probably want a quality installation. A decent contractor already knows going in what he can or will do it for. I haven't known you to be a hothead but you sure seem to have your hackles up on this one.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Posco] #7258793
05/06/21 10:17 AM
05/06/21 10:17 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Posco
I was a contractor for years and had my own business although I never dealt with windows. Never wanted to and always gave that call to someone else. Hey, it's my money, it's good money and I expect the craftsmanship and professionalism I would have given my customers for the kind of money that I will be putting out. If they don't want that work and can't handle doing a good job, they don't need to bid. Simple as that. I could buy a new car, at least, for what windows are going to cost. I'm a great guy to work for as long as you do your job. I ask and expect nothing less and I do not see where I'm being hard to work with. These are basic principals please tell me how this is harsh?

If you're paying for quality windows you also probably want a quality installation. A decent contractor already knows going in what he can or will do it for. I haven't known you to be a hothead but you sure seem to have your hackles up on this one.

I find it amazing that people think I'm a hothead for wanting a quality job done by a contractor that is legit and will do the job I pay him for correctly. If it was anyone elses money they were spending on their home they would want the same thing I assume. I don't know, maybe they don't?

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Boco] #7258796
05/06/21 10:25 AM
05/06/21 10:25 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Boco
I'd tell you to install your own GD windows with that attitude.

well Boco is out

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: corky] #7258798
05/06/21 10:34 AM
05/06/21 10:34 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by corky
Right now demand is so high in this area that you are lucky to find a reliable contractor that's not already booked for the year let alone one willing to jump through hoops. Good luck in your quest.

true between nearly unobtanium for materials and everyone wanting to hire work right now.

there is a fair price but no rock bottom , fair shouldn't move

ordering the windows , my wife works for a millwork plant , they don't do windows but do doors , order today and you might have your door before first frost in October that really is how far out everyone is booked right now.

FInster as long as you let them know upfront your expectations I think you are being fair , salesmen are like bilge water necessary at times but really discussing for the most part.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258814
05/06/21 10:49 AM
05/06/21 10:49 AM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
I'm interested to hear how this goes for you Finster. I too am in the process of getting new windows for my house. As you said, it's costly! I can speak for myself in saying that I'm having a very hard time even getting a contractor to come out and give me a quote let alone dream of someone that would meet all of your stipulations. Contractors in my area are backed up for months and maybe even over a year. If I had a list of requirements that mirrored yours, I'd be off of their year-long wait list and they would tell me to do it myself. I'm not saying that your stipulations are ridiculous, they appear fair. But, in my case anyhow and in the current world we're living in.....beggars can't be choosers.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258820
05/06/21 11:01 AM
05/06/21 11:01 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Well, I have 4 different companies scheduled for next week. I'll see how this pans out. A couple companies I called only deal in vinyl so they are out of the question. Vinyl sucks! Two companies I called didn't make it past my phone call. When the person on the other end of the line cannot speak English or understand the basic English language, they are not even getting out of the gate. I speak English, not Spanish, Hindy and not Ebonics! Guess it's to much to ask for companies to put a professional sounding person on their phone these days? If they can't get that simple issue right, they aren't ripping into my home.

Last edited by Finster; 05/06/21 11:01 AM.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258828
05/06/21 11:18 AM
05/06/21 11:18 AM
St. Croix County, Wisconsin
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

I wouldn't hold out on any deals or best price options. The contractors are very much in the drivers seat right now. The good contractors around here are turning down work or are booked out until next spring. I think that the contractors are fully aware of what you expect as is every other customer they deal with. My dad has stopped quoting anything that can't wait until June 2022 and he is still quoting 6-10 jobs a week. He told me last week that he could raise his prices to match the demand and still get all the work that he can handle but won't gouge the customer like his competitors have started doing. I would assume that any good contractor giving you a bid probably feel the same way.

Like Learch said my old man would pick up the attitude on the phone and politely decline a quote. Just relax and hire the guy you feel most comfortable with. Your not going to like the price either way and based on your post probably not the window either. Your going to have to pay for a quality window. I would pay a premium for a good window and service and it's possibly from your post that you just want the cheapest no matter who or what they install.

Not saying it true just the perception. GOOD LUCK

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258830
05/06/21 11:22 AM
05/06/21 11:22 AM
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

Like I said before and I'll say it again. Call your Renewal Rep. They will come out and price everything for you. Yes they will have a sub do the work but then they are on the hook for that sub so you can bet they will be good. And you will also have the best window for that hard earned money.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258849
05/06/21 11:58 AM
05/06/21 11:58 AM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Well, I have 4 different companies scheduled for next week. I'll see how this pans out. A couple companies I called only deal in vinyl so they are out of the question. Vinyl sucks! Two companies I called didn't make it past my phone call. When the person on the other end of the line cannot speak English or understand the basic English language, they are not even getting out of the gate. I speak English, not Spanish, Hindy and not Ebonics! Guess it's to much to ask for companies to put a professional sounding person on their phone these days? If they can't get that simple issue right, they aren't ripping into my home.

This is going to be fun. Please update us next week after your four meetings. Assuming you find someone desperate enough to take the job, please keep updating us through the process.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: ToTheWoods] #7258850
05/06/21 12:03 PM
05/06/21 12:03 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by ToTheWoods
Like I said before and I'll say it again. Call your Renewal Rep. They will come out and price everything for you. Yes they will have a sub do the work but then they are on the hook for that sub so you can bet they will be good. And you will also have the best window for that hard earned money.
They are coming next Wednesday.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Blaine County] #7258851
05/06/21 12:06 PM
05/06/21 12:06 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Blaine County

This is going to be fun. Please update us next week after your four meetings. Assuming you find someone desperate enough to take the job, please keep updating us through the process.
I just heard a squeal of tires and saw a puff of smoke. There was a car burning tire trying to catch up to an ambulance. You should really drive more carefully.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258858
05/06/21 12:26 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
Finster, you mentioned that you're not a fan of vinyl windows. Why is this? I was considering vinyl. We currently have wood that were likely installed in the early 1990's and they're all discolored, bleached, and starting to rot. They are Marvin, which is a quality window. I was thinking we wouldn't have this problem with vinyl.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258859
KY
L
learch Offline
trapper
learch  Offline
trapper
L

KY

You have rules and so do I. I’d fire you before you would hire me.[/quote] Sounds to me that you're the type of guy that rips off everyone he has ever dealt with since those 4 things upset you so much.
[/quote]

Actually been in the custom cabinet business for 24 years with the same company. If I were dishonest with my clients it would have caught with me long ago. Don’t listen to me listen to everyone else coonman jr.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258866
05/06/21 12:42 PM
05/06/21 12:42 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline
trapper
slydogx  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
I think the 4 rules Finster laid out make a lot of sense... while we don't necessarily deliver them so bluntly, they are expectations of ours from any subs quoting us work and certainly not unreasonable when large sums of money are up for consideration.

Finster, I would not necessarily discount any manufacturers who sub their install right away, many vendors entire company is structured on a subcontracted installation basis for a lot of good reasons. The key would be to get references for the subcontractor as well.

You mentioned no vinyl... are you looking at high performance aluminum or wood... or something else?

Just happy to be here.
Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: slydogx] #7258898
05/06/21 02:06 PM
05/06/21 02:06 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by atrapper
Finster, you mentioned that you're not a fan of vinyl windows. Why is this? I was considering vinyl. We currently have wood that were likely installed in the early 1990's and they're all discolored, bleached, and starting to rot. They are Marvin, which is a quality window. I was thinking we wouldn't have this problem with vinyl.

Originally Posted by slydogx

You mentioned no vinyl... are you looking at high performance aluminum or wood... or something else?

Years ago, around 1999 or so, I worked for a window company that made small vinyl windows for glass block. I know how they are made, what goes into them and I know enough to know that they are inferior. In addition, I have vinyl's on my home now, all of them are broken in one way or another, Mostly the welds on them. Could they be repaired? I'm sure I could repair them and in fact, I will probably keep these old windows. They would be good for the garage I want to build, maybe replace the ones in my shop which are even worse windows, they would be good for a deer stand or even a hunting cabin. I may give them to friends that have projects or sell some of them after I fix them. In any event. I would like aluminum clad wood or I'm even entertaining fiberglass and wood. It will all come down to cost I suppose. I'm trying to stay under $20,000

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258912
05/06/21 02:39 PM
05/06/21 02:39 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
Under $20,000? Is that including labor to install or just the windows? $20,000 for everything with the number of windows you are replacing sounds pretty cheap. We were quoted around $12,000 for labor, 13 windows and a sliding door.

Re: Doing new windows and playing the Axe man [Re: Finster] #7258913
05/06/21 02:43 PM
05/06/21 02:43 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by Boco
I'd tell you to install your own GD windows with that attitude.

I'm sorry, you must be under the impression that I would even allow a Canuck on my property? Well, maybe to clean the septic tank but that's about it. Certainly not to do anything that would take an ounce of skill.

This is comedy gold, right here. Seriously made me laugh.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread